Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Mordja posted:

Big surprise it blows, after all this

Is way to many loving characters to be introduced in a single movie. DC so desperately wants to emulate Marvel's success without laying any of the groundwork. Even Guardians of the Galaxy only has a main cast of five and Groot doesn't really talk, and Bautista also doesn't say a lot.

I don't think that's their problem here, none of the suicide squaddies are supposed to be relevant, even Harley is a sidekick
their main problem is DC can't figure out what a good movie is without a Tim Burton or Christopher Nolan doing all the work

I guess David Ayer should've done a good job but who knows why he didn't, his other movies are ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
they hosed up even doing anything remotely associated with Joker so soon after the last one

sorry but it's true Heath Ledger's knocked it out the loving park and you need to wait a good 5-10 years unless you want to get compared to his performance (and you'll be found severely wanting bc let's be real that was a sick performance) and probably bomb

how they even got that past the initial stages without someone saying exactly that idk

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

they hosed up even doing anything remotely associated with Joker so soon after the last one

sorry but it's true Heath Ledger's knocked it out the loving park and you need to wait a good 5-10 years unless you want to get compared to his performance (and you'll be found severely wanting bc let's be real that was a sick performance) and probably bomb

how they even got that past the initial stages without someone saying exactly that idk

It's the old Coca Cola switcheroo

Only Jared Leto was stupid and arrogant enough to try and improve on ledger's performance, he's a patsy, a sort of Suicide Actor

Next joker will be like "well he's no Heath Ledger, but at least better than Leto!"

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

"The Dark Knight" was eight years ago. Not to say that Leto doesn't suck, of course.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i'd say 8 falls firmly within 'a good 5-10 years'

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
i just watched the ultimate edition and thought it was an amazing spectacle. I am so pleased I missed the theatrical version and even more pleased I remained spoiler free. I loved the mash up of Dark Knight Returns and The Death of Superman.
As usual Zack makes a beautiful film with amazing cinematography, and I thought the psychosis aspect of Bruces dreams was a great way of reminding the audience that this guy is not normal by any stretch of the imagination, which other bat films fail to convey.

Wonder Womans reveal was excellent and myself and my wife fist punched the air with a 'YES!' when she appeared with the awesome shift in musical score,

I loved MoS, I love BvS even more.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

i just watched the ultimate edition and thought it was an amazing spectacle. I am so pleased I missed the theatrical version and even more pleased I remained spoiler free. I loved the mash up of Dark Knight Returns and The Death of Superman.
As usual Zack makes a beautiful film with amazing cinematography, and I thought the psychosis aspect of Bruces dreams was a great way of reminding the audience that this guy is not normal by any stretch of the imagination, which other bat films fail to convey.

Wonder Womans reveal was excellent and myself and my wife fist punched the air with a 'YES!' when she appeared with the awesome shift in musical score,

Source ur quotes

E: tho I can guess

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Blood leaking out of poster's brain while writing this, smiling like a mad man

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
i enjoy movies so what :shrug:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

i enjoy movies so what :shrug:

That's cool, I enjoyed the Ultimate Edition too actually

Just can't imagine anyone punching the air because of Wonder Woman but ok, you huge nerd

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Don Tacorleone posted:

That's cool, I enjoyed the Ultimate Edition too actually

Just can't imagine anyone punching the air because of Wonder Woman but ok, you huge nerd

its called immersion, non autistics experience it from time to time

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

its called immersion, non autistics experience it from time to time

Never heard of it

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

are people actually falling for this

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Today I learned the vast ultra-mega-majority of people on Earth are autistic because they didn't do circus tumbles when an emaciated 4 foot tall Wonder Woman showed up in a painfully lovely Zack Snyder movie that was made to soft-retcon an even worse Zack Snyder movie.

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

are people actually falling for this

This is Something Awful. Never assume the dumbest opinion is being ironically posted.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
imo if i'm not getting 'strong independent and probably a domme' vibes from Wonder Woman they hosed it up

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
like is there even 1 scene where she lassos some dude who is then writhing in agony on the ground while she goes 'men are scum' with her boot on him smdh

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I think Affleck could've been the best Bruce Wayne and the best Batman if he wasn't trapped in this loving movie

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I used to think Superman was dumb for stopping Batman instead of the guys shooting rockets and guns all willy nilly in the street but CD convinced me it was because Superman loves the poor. Even the poor criminals. And if you don't like it that's because you can't handle a non black and white Superman

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

WhyteRyce posted:

I used to think Superman was dumb for stopping Batman instead of the guys shooting rockets and guns all willy nilly in the street but CD convinced me it was because Superman loves the poor. Even the poor criminals.

But those criminals were Lex's handpicked highly paid mercenaries? They were anything but poor.

WhyteRyce posted:

And if you don't like it that's because you can't handle a non black and white Superman

George Reeves was awesome and you suck for disparaging his good name

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 2, 2016

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Why is Lex having them shoot rockets at the guy he wants to take/steal the contents of the truck arghhhh

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

WhyteRyce posted:

Why is Lex having them shoot rockets at the guy he wants to take/steal the contents of the truck arghhhh

The same reason he blew up Mercy - he wants his ruse to look convincing.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The same reason he blew up Mercy - he wants his ruse to look convincing.

Blowing up Mercy had no downsides other than paying out a the company life insurance plan to her beneficiaries and having to sit through some interviews for a new assistant. Shooting rockets at a dude who you describe as human who you need to be alive and fully functional to take down a god seems a bit poorly thought out and an excuse for poor film making.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 2, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
it's because they made LL a stupid piss baby

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I mean, the whole ruse with Scoot was actually well done and all you really needed since Luther later monologued about how it got Batman off his game and not thinking straight. That's all you really needed. And poo poo, do an actual Batman scene and have him do some stealth ninja beat-em-up robbery at the dock. The Blast Corps scene was just an excuse to have the Batmobile in the movie, some explosions, and a really lame first meeting between the two.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
"Suicide Squad looks like if an acting workshop in North Hollywood got one wish"

The best tweet all day

Reviews are calling it dull and over packed with flashbacks. I am glad. After all the faux "craziness" the studio has been trying to sell this makes me happy.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Zombie Boat posted:

Reviews are calling it dull and over packed with flashbacks. I am glad. After all the faux "craziness" the studio has been trying to sell this makes me happy.

"Oh you were expecting a wild and over the top thrill ride featuring bizarre characters in strange situations? Well here's a meandering, boring shitshow using the laziest tropes and flashbacks to prop up a flimsy film with little content and no character or chemistry. You've been JOKER-ed!!!"

*jared leto pulls down his pants revealing a totally sick and twisted tattoo of the words "your mom" on his butt*

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Jared Leto got us again!

-dc executive

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

reviews also revealed that he barely gets any screentime with anyone except harley quinn, meaning leto hosed with his costars for almost no loving reason, thus defeating the entire pathos of his faux-method bullshit. oscar winning actor here

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

MinibarMatchman posted:

reviews also revealed that he barely gets any screentime with anyone except harley quinn, meaning leto hosed with his costars for almost no loving reason, thus defeating the entire pathos of his faux-method bullshit. oscar winning actor here
Or more likely he didn't gently caress with his costars at all and it was just marketing bullshit.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Mordja posted:

Or more likely he didn't gently caress with his costars at all and it was just marketing bullshit.

really if he was actually doing all the poo poo they said he was (especially without their consent/knowledge) then the other actors probably would have quit or done something to kick him out.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Mordja posted:

Were they trying to market that Leto is a loving insufferable idiot who shouldn't even be cast in local car dealership commercials?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cowman posted:

really if he was actually doing all the poo poo they said he was (especially without their consent/knowledge) then the other actors probably would have quit or done something to kick him out.

Do movie shoots have HR departments? Because if they do, then they'd definitely have been called.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
i wanna see gal gadget's jiggliez

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Were they trying to market that Leto is a loving insufferable idiot who shouldn't even be cast in local car dealership commercials?

They were probably trying to make it seem like he was more dedicated and ~crazy~ than Heath Ledger since Ledger died because "he went too far into his role" or something like that, marketing really spun it.

Mordja posted:

Do movie shoots have HR departments? Because if they do, then they'd definitely have been called.

Probably. There's definitely people to handle conflicts between actors/actresses since that for sure will arise during normal filming. The studios for sure have a HR department so if nothing else, they'd handle poo poo.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Cowman posted:

They were probably trying to make it seem like he was more dedicated and ~crazy~ than Heath Ledger since Ledger died because "he went too far into his role" or something like that, marketing really spun it.

really loving disrespectful tbqh. but I guess That's Hollywood!TM

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Leto lied
Ledger died

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

SciFiDownBeat posted:

really loving disrespectful tbqh. but I guess That's Hollywood!TM

Marketing might not have spun it. It was certainly a rumor going around at the time and Ledger himself said he was having trouble sleeping because of the role and even Ambien didn't help him. This combined with his death of overdosing led to people thinking that he got too into the Joker role and never recovered (though he was in the middle of a totally different movie when he died). Obviously he didn't die because of the role but the whole discussion behind his dedication (before his death that is) really helped spawn the rumors that it was just "too real" or some poo poo. It was more that he overstressed himself and wound up addicted to pills or was already addicted to pills or some other drug.

Basically they tried for Jared Leto to have had the same kind of marketing effect that Ledger's dedication had without making Leto die but it came across as way too forced. Ledger had an on/off switch and apparently was a really cool dude when he wasn't playing the Joker. Only time he was really in character was when they were filming, everything else was him being himself and/or developing the role. Leto ended up as an rear end in a top hat to his costars, whether true or not.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
method acting is retarded

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

method acting is retarded

There's not just one "method." For some reason method acting has become the standard line any time an actor decides to stay in character between takes/when not filming, which takes from a poo poo ton of other ideas about acting and throws them into one. The only time I've ever been around someone "method" acting they didn't have a theater degree and it was a teen party movie about magical clones coming through time to kill us.

I'm a jerzy gratowski man myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blizzy_Cow
Feb 27, 2006
When one burns one's bridges, what a wonderful fire it makes
Almost had King Shark, but.....

http://in.ign.com/m/suicide-squad-theater/97812/news/suicide-squad-director-explains-why-king-shark-is-not-in-the

• Locked thread