Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Thronde posted:

I'm going to come back and start playing again. Been forever, but I just burned out before, mostly due to time constraints. Is there a good primer to read for Engineers stuff?

Depends on what you need in terms of primer. For a pretty solid collection of pure data, there's http://inara.cz/galaxy-engineers — who gives what, where they are, how you unlock them, and what you need for the various mods.

One thing that isn't clear from all of that, and which I'm a bit curious about, is whether higher grades also improve experimental effects or if those effects are just fixed… well… effects that are applied separately from the regular graded bonuses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Tippis posted:

One thing that isn't clear from all of that, and which I'm a bit curious about, is whether higher grades also improve experimental effects or if those effects are just fixed… well… effects that are applied separately from the regular graded bonuses?
Experimental weapon effects are fixed, but the modifiers for said effect are applied after the effects of the base modification. So, if the effect alters damage in some way then obviously it's better if you're using a high grade damage modifier than a lower grade.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Helter Skelter posted:

Experimental weapon effects are fixed, but the modifiers for said effect are applied after the effects of the base modification. So, if the effect alters damage in some way then obviously it's better if you're using a high grade damage modifier than a lower grade.

Ok. Neat. That saves me a bit of grinding for some of the weapon effects where I don't really want the high-end bonuses, just the occasional extra silliness.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Tippis posted:

Ok. Neat. That saves me a bit of grinding for some of the weapon effects where I don't really want the high-end bonuses, just the occasional extra silliness.

You might want to spend some time planetside, gathering materials. A lot of the low-level upgrades use common planet-acquired elements like sulphur, phosphorous, etc. If you want to have some fun spinning the Engineers RNG wheel for first tier upgrades, spend an hour or two and stock up on 50-100 of those basic materials.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Panch posted:

I randomly picked the game up again after a long break a month or two ago. Stumbling into the pre-DG/wildcard hype plus finding the player run, lore appropriate radio stations (Goon run and others!) dragged me enough to follow the lore on cannon/Reddit, and to be honest I feel like I've enjoyed all of that more than any official game mechanic.

Maybe I'm not a typical player but if I'm anywhere close to being part of a large group of players Frontier would be stupid not to encourage things being player driven. With what would seem to be fairly tepid support they could make the game seem so much more alive. A second bubble where over the course of a game season or more, players fight to make it self sufficient? Hell, I bet you after that the new bubble would feel much more personal and lively, even if it was functionally identical to the original bubble.

They just tried last month to have a big player driven event for player groups, the Dangerous Games. Literally everyone hated it, because Frontier is bad at game design and has nonexistent QA practices.

I think the "second bubble" talk suffers from a bad case of "trusting Frontier to say truthful and accurate things". No one bought it when Frontier said the DG CGs would be new and exciting, and before you forget that and buy into the " second bubble" talk, you've got to remember several things:
A) Frontier isn't going to put any development time into coding new things for the Jaques "bubble"
B) Growth of this "new bubble" will be entirely steered by CGs; other player activities will have zero effect on it
C) Frontier themselves decide whether a CG will succeed or not, as well as how well it will succeed. They've already drastically altered the numbers for one of the Jaques CGs to make sure it'll hit a high tier
D) No in-lore explanation will be given as to why the "new bubble" is growing far faster than the old bubble, or why building a station 22kly away is easier and faster than building one 500ly away. The fanfic authors lore wonks will completely ignore this problem even though it makes absolutely no sense
E) The "new bubble" will be basically identical to the old bubble except a lot smaller. It will also be absolutely useless to absolutely everyone except spacemad explorers, because the only thing it will provide that the old bubble doesn't is its location near the core and an occasional Galnet article
F) There won't be any way to rapidly travel between the two bubbles. A bunch of people will reward them for that by buying a second copy of Elite+Horizons, like so many spacemads do already, so that they don't have to spend a real-life week travelling every time they switch bubbles.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
To add to this, people were already complaining how the Jacques system behaves like a totally normal system, complete with pirates and normally-fitted NPC ships.

People are aching for player driven colonization and Jacques isn't going to be it, sorry. It'll likely never happen.

Edit: Consider that Jacques being found ruined whatever plans Frontier had for it and that acquiescing to a 2nd bubble is likely a way for them to salvage a bit of it back (by delaying or filling the room this story left open) and throwing explorers near the core a bone.

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 2, 2016

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

What if there are CGs to make some sort of big rear end gate in the sol system that allows you to hop out there? It could be locked behind permits or something.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Blind Rasputin posted:

What if there are CGs to make some sort of big rear end gate in the sol system that allows you to hop out there? It could be locked behind permits or something.

As someone who really appreciates the vast scale and realistic representation of our galaxy in-game, and who's put some serious hours into legit long distance exploration, I'd be pretty pissed if Frontier pulled some cheap-rear end magical teleport-across-half-a-galaxy bullshit like this.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 2, 2016

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Blind Rasputin posted:

That would sort of wreck the whole idea of a second bubble being its own thing. If there were a warp gate it'd be effectively the same as if the second bubble were inside the first.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Blind Rasputin posted:

As far as I understand (which, admittedly, is not very far), no such technology exists in the Elite universe. Also, it would piss off the spacemads while disappointing the non-spacemads and depriving Frontier of both money and an important tool for distracting people from the sad state of the bubble.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Hello I know very little about this game, I just do space trucking while watching Netflix. Currently have 500k space dollars and a Cobra MKIII with
2 x 2D cannons
2 x 1D Rail Gun

and a bunch of other parts that I think are for space trucking rare stuff 160+ Lys back and forth (36 cargo slots, 4E frame shift and a 4C fuel tank)

I have questions!

- Should I choose dif weapons for just fighting off dicks that try to interdick my hyperspace trucking and take my rare drugs?
- I'd like to do some combat missions, prob bounty hunter maybe piracy; should I buy a fighter ship? Which, and with what parts/weapons?
- Is Horizons worth buying if I just want to space truck and shoot things? Not super excited about the prospect of mining rocks, flying down to planets and back into space would be cool but idk if its 20$ cool, but if there's trucking and fighting content I'm missing I may be convinced.
- Where the hell do you get wings spoilers and other Fast and Furious body kit type stuff? Paint jobs are only available if I want to pay them 7$?
- ....there are fleets? How do I join a fleet? Are there trucking fleets that roll together to make sure no one gets jumped by pirates etc? Like gazelles travelling in packs etc? Also water buffalo?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Trustworthy posted:

As someone who really appreciates the vast scale and realistic representation of our galaxy in-game, and who's put some serious hours into legit long distance exploration, I'd be pretty pissed if Frontier pulled some cheap-rear end magical teleport-across-half-a-galaxy bullshit like this.

If you want this, it's best to just ignore any times or distances in-game anyway. There's nothing vast or awe inspring about being able to get from a city on earth to all but like 5 inhabited systems in under half an hour.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Strategic Tea posted:

If you want this, it's best to just ignore any times or distances in-game anyway. There's nothing vast or awe inspring about being able to get from a city on earth to all but like 5 inhabited systems in under half an hour.

Spoken like a true non-spacemad.

I would contend that--for players who care about exploration--there is indeed something vast-feeling and awe inspiring about setting your sights on a distant destination, watching it get closer and closer over the course of weeks or even months, discovering strange new worlds along the way, and then finally achieving your goal on the far end of the galaxy, possibly even being the very person to set sights on the object of your burning curiosity.

In other words, BOOGABOOGABALLOOOOOMBASPACE MADNESSSSSSSSSTARSSTARSSTARSSTARSWOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 2, 2016

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Some kind of gate thing is probably inevitable with the alien stuff, and it would be a necessity to make a lot of cool ideas and content reasonably accessible to most players.

What it would not do is ruin exploration. It's a big galaxy and gates/wormholes to a couple of remote regions of interest with special content isn't going to change that.

Lore-wise, the future development of that technology is not out of reach. We're already edging into that territory with the narratives about Jacques station, the Antares, etc.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Where in hell are you guys getting all this lore reading material?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

timn posted:

Some kind of gate thing is probably inevitable with the alien stuff, and it would be a necessity to make a lot of cool ideas and content reasonably accessible to most players.

What it would not do is ruin exploration. It's a big galaxy and gates/wormholes to a couple of remote regions of interest with special content isn't going to change that.

Lore-wise, the future development of that technology is not out of reach. We're already edging into that territory with the narratives about Jacques station, the Antares, etc.

Just don't suggest anything crazy like tractor beams, or in previous game mining devices. That would just be silly by comparison, apparently.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

black.lion posted:

Hello I know very little about this game, I just do space trucking while watching Netflix. Currently have 500k space dollars and a Cobra MKIII with
2 x 2D cannons
2 x 1D Rail Gun

and a bunch of other parts that I think are for space trucking rare stuff 160+ Lys back and forth (36 cargo slots, 4E frame shift and a 4C fuel tank)

I have questions!

- Should I choose dif weapons for just fighting off dicks that try to interdick my hyperspace trucking and take my rare drugs?
- I'd like to do some combat missions, prob bounty hunter maybe piracy; should I buy a fighter ship? Which, and with what parts/weapons?
- Is Horizons worth buying if I just want to space truck and shoot things? Not super excited about the prospect of mining rocks, flying down to planets and back into space would be cool but idk if its 20$ cool, but if there's trucking and fighting content I'm missing I may be convinced.
- Where the hell do you get wings spoilers and other Fast and Furious body kit type stuff? Paint jobs are only available if I want to pay them 7$?
- ....there are fleets? How do I join a fleet? Are there trucking fleets that roll together to make sure no one gets jumped by pirates etc? Like gazelles travelling in packs etc? Also water buffalo?

I might replace the either railguns or cannons with some kinda laser. No ammo concerns, and they eat through shields, basically.

Cobra is fine for space combat, especially if you armor the bulkheads and reinforce a bit. It's super fast and pretty agile. You'll do fine for bounty hunting and those "go kill 8 pirates" missions, but I would avoid Assassination missions, which are almost always an Anaconda.

Horizons is totally worth it for space trucking and shooting things. You'll get delivery missions to and from surface bases, and you'll get missions to go blow up various things on planets, with usually a hilariously high paycheck for how easy it is.

Body kit stuff and paint jobs are all paid cash shop stuff, with a couple of exceptions, like pre-order bonuses and stuff. I can paint my Asp Explorer like a gaudy-rear end solid gold because I was an early Horizons adopter, for example.

The fleets are organized outside of game, but you can wing up together in game and game the way Elite handles p2p instancing to get a bunch of people all together in one place for, for example, a Conflict Zone or a big cargo-loading train. Check out the PGS thread if you want to be a space goon.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Blind Rasputin posted:

The mid-to-late 80s, mostly :v:

I don't think a warp gate is necessary, or would really make sense. Our hyperspace drives already function by shunting us through a different dimension (Witchspace) with compressed space and no constant speed of light, and already comes in 2 flavors. The ones the capships use, where they just fly through there at impulse speeds and it takes them like a few days to get anywhere, and the drives our smaller ships use, which is the same thing only we're using our FSD to rocket through witchspace at like 5000 times the speed of light.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Blind Rasputin posted:

GalNet.

There's a menu option in your left-hand menu if you want to read GalNet-news in-game.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

deadly_pudding posted:

I might replace the either railguns or cannons with some kinda laser. No ammo concerns, and they eat through shields, basically.

Cobra is fine for space combat, especially if you armor the bulkheads and reinforce a bit. It's super fast and pretty agile. You'll do fine for bounty hunting and those "go kill 8 pirates" missions, but I would avoid Assassination missions, which are almost always an Anaconda.

Horizons is totally worth it for space trucking and shooting things. You'll get delivery missions to and from surface bases, and you'll get missions to go blow up various things on planets, with usually a hilariously high paycheck for how easy it is.

Body kit stuff and paint jobs are all paid cash shop stuff, with a couple of exceptions, like pre-order bonuses and stuff. I can paint my Asp Explorer like a gaudy-rear end solid gold because I was an early Horizons adopter, for example.

The fleets are organized outside of game, but you can wing up together in game and game the way Elite handles p2p instancing to get a bunch of people all together in one place for, for example, a Conflict Zone or a big cargo-loading train. Check out the PGS thread if you want to be a space goon.

Hey thanks dude I put pulse lasers on my 1 hardpoints and multicannons on my 2 hardpoints so i have some non-ammo-constricted weapons on there - i seem to have plenty of cash and would like to leave my cobra loaded for trade missions, if i'm going to buy a second ship anyway should I get another cobra or something else?

Will likely buy horizons and def check out this PGS, cheers spacefriend

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Apparently the latest patch caused a mass uprising of deadly NPCs, interdictions are way up, missions spawn kill-ships you can't possibly beat and I just got killed by a Master-FDL shredding my Asp two times in a row. During the second time I got interdicted by a shieldless Elite Eagle before the FDL got me again. This is batshit insane.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

black.lion posted:

2 x 2D cannons
2 x 1D Rail Gun

I know you didn't ask this, but the first thing you should do is upgrade your FSD to 4A!!!! It's no wonder you're wanting to do things besides trading when you're carrying out 160+ly trade runs with a 9ly jump range. And make sure your route plotting is set to "Fastest", not "Economical".

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

I know you didn't ask this, but the first thing you should do is upgrade your FSD to 4A!!!! It's no wonder you're wanting to do things besides trading when you're carrying out 160+ly trade runs with a 9ly jump range.
I will do this

Main Paineframe posted:

And make sure your route plotting is set to "Fastest", not "Economical".
How do I do this?

O and I love space trucking I just wanna see what else is fun in this game, though I do wish I could somehow do 160 lys without having to stop for gas halfway through, or in less than 35-40 jumps - hopefully that FS upgrade and the "fastest" thang will help that.

Tx ;*

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

black.lion posted:

I will do this

How do I do this?

O and I love space trucking I just wanna see what else is fun in this game, though I do wish I could somehow do 160 lys without having to stop for gas halfway through, or in less than 35-40 jumps - hopefully that FS upgrade and the "fastest" thang will help that.

Tx ;*

In your Galaxy Map, when plotting a route, there's 3 options: FSD Boost, Economical Routes, Fastest Routes -- Tick the Fastest Routes option.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

black.lion posted:

I will do this

How do I do this?

Tx ;*

It's gonna depend on your ship, too. My Asp Explorer is my current main ship. It can do like 29 Light Years per jump unladen, and it can do like around 10 or more of those before I run out of gas because I mounted an extra fuel tank. I didn't put on a scoop because I wanted the big 64-ton cargo rack and also my shield generator, but I can get to most places near empire space, which is the faction I'm currently working on, without making a pitstop.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

black.lion posted:

I will do this

How do I do this?

You might want to map the button for 'previous navigation'. Occasionally you'll drop out of the map with the end system selected, hit that button and you'll be back to a plotted route.

It's also useful when you spend time scanning everyone you meet and frequently change targetting focus, or if you have to make a quick jump because the game throws a bunch of T Tauri and Brown dwarfs at you and you need to fuel up.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

black.lion posted:

I will do this

How do I do this?

Tx ;*

It's a setting on the left side of the galaxy map. And if you're using "fastest" and have a 4A drive, you should be able to cover 160ly in roughly 8 jumps. You'll have to refuel once during the trip, but most people just bring a fuel scoop and stop by a star for thirty seconds, rather than detouring to a station.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Oh yeah, black.lion, remember this easy phrase: KGB FOAM. Those are the letter classifications of stars you can scoop from.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Haha so I can't afford the 4A yet (I have a 4E, a couple more runs and I'll have enough) buuut ticking "fastest route" changed my trip from 35 jumps to 7 so thats neat

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Fastest route still isn't the default setting? :psyduck:

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

At least it remembers it between sessions now.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

tooterfish posted:

Fastest route still isn't the default setting? :psyduck:

On early ships, the "fastest route" might be less fast. It'll calculate like 7 jumps that you run out of fuel on the third one, and that type of thing.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Libluini posted:

Apparently the latest patch caused a mass uprising of deadly NPCs, interdictions are way up, missions spawn kill-ships you can't possibly beat and I just got killed by a Master-FDL shredding my Asp two times in a row. During the second time I got interdicted by a shieldless Elite Eagle before the FDL got me again. This is batshit insane.

It's amazing how old bugs resurface with every single update.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Rah! posted:

At a guess: did someone forget to add the hotfix from the last patch to the new one? :eng99:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Rah! posted:

It's clearly working as intended, you can't prove it isn't until they admit it and/or write short stories about it :pseudo:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Libluini posted:

That would explain yesterday. Granted, they still all died horribly to having a dozen mines dropped in their face, so it's all good. :D

It's kind of weird how, ever since mines were made not-stupid, I rather look forward to interdictions while doing trade missions. It's a quick and neat way of supplementing the income, especially when they're also mission targets.

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELcTJZLxhFU

:black101:

This game rules.

Complaint Compilation fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 3, 2016

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I could sum up this game with what (I think) was a title of another Games thread at one point: The highs are very high and the lows are frequent. Every now and then as I'm playing, no matter the activity, I get a moment that just *clicks* and it's amazing. Sometimes it's some kind of unexpected fight or escape and I come away minutes later shaking at the controls.

Then I quietly go back to hunting for materials in a near catatonic state for two weeks or whatever.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I just started this and did the first delivery mission. The scale is kind of mind-blowing and it's going to take some time to get a hang on. I am just proud I didn't run into any stars or space stations yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the info on rebuilding my Python today. It is fun and good, and dumping missiles up some bounty's tailpipe will never get old. I'll probably start grinding out the frog trading route soon, how big a cargo stash should my python be running?

• Locked thread