Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

MrSlam posted:

Deep down I know you're right. If Roiland ever read that post I made he'd probably fart into a paperbag and mail it to me.

On the commentary tracks they talk about how they put a tremendous amount of thought into the show and do so primarily out of obligation to the fans because they know they are going to watch poo poo 50 times and they feel that they should care just as much as their most hardcore fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

a cop posted:

On the commentary tracks they talk about how they put a tremendous amount of thought into the show and do so primarily out of obligation to the fans because they know they are going to watch poo poo 50 times and they feel that they should care just as much as their most hardcore fans.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but aren't they also drinking heavily during said commentary?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

cosmically_cosmic posted:

Maybe I'm mistaken, but aren't they also drinking heavily during said commentary?

They're drinking heavily all the time. They're functional alcoholics.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rexides posted:

The Council of Ricks proves that Ricks have some disposition towards order even in the face of an infinite, uncaring universe. It is just* the Rick the show focuses on who probably said "gently caress it, nothing matters".

Was it ever confirmed that the Council of Ricks was also fighting the same Galactic war that our Rick was or were sympathetic to it, or was he striking out on his own there? Or was it just not touched on?

I guess we'll probably find out in Season 3 Episode 1 ....

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

a cop posted:

they feel that they should care just as much as their most hardcore fans.

I've found the inverse to be a good rule, too: don't care about something more than its creators did.

Whiz Palace fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 2, 2016

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I imagine given enough time Rick could've fixed the Cronenbergs but it seemed more like he couldn't be bothered than him not knowing how.

He clearly could have. Remember, the world they jump to is one that he also hosed up and ruined but then managed to fix, not one where it never happened in the first place.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Was it ever confirmed that the Council of Ricks was also fighting the same Galactic war that our Rick was or were sympathetic to it, or was he striking out on his own there? Or was it just not touched on?

I guess we'll probably find out in Season 3 Episode 1 ....

Yeah, Rick C-137 says of the council of Ricks "You wanted to be safe from the government so you became a stupid government!"

He hates on them for forming their own government because he considers that anti-rick, but the original reason they confederated was to oppose the galactic government, presumably the same one he's fighting in C-137.

I could see the Council of Ricks breaking him out of jail, but they may also leave him there since he snubbed them all so hard in the past. I bet Morty rescues him, maybe with the help of one of Rick's friends, if any are still alive.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, Rick C-137 says of the council of Ricks "You wanted to be safe from the government so you became a stupid government!"

He hates on them for forming their own government because he considers that anti-rick, but the original reason they confederated was to oppose the galactic government, presumably the same one he's fighting in C-137.

I could see the Council of Ricks breaking him out of jail, but they may also leave him there since he snubbed them all so hard in the past. I bet Morty rescues him, maybe with the help of one of Rick's friends, if any are still alive.

Rick is going to break himself out, because getting captured was just a ruse and part of his ultimate plan. The only other alternative is that Rick did a selfless act by turning himself in, and that is completely out of character. Why should he care about the family on tiny world any more than his family he abandoned on mutant world?

He would never have been captured unless he wanted to be.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Rutibex posted:

Rick is going to break himself out, because getting captured was just a ruse and part of his ultimate plan. The only other alternative is that Rick did a selfless act by turning himself in, and that is completely out of character. Why should he care about the family on tiny world any more than his family he abandoned on mutant world?

1) he cares about Morty and did at the time he abandoned his family on the mutant world and 2) he has grown to love the rest of his family more since then

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rutibex posted:

A big part of S1 and S2 though was his character development and seeing that while he's an antisocial mess, he does actually care for his family. (sans Jerry)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

A big part of S1 and S2 though was his character development and seeing that while he's an antisocial mess, he does actually care for his family. (sans Jerry)

This is most certainly it. Rick has a moment of regret when he overhears Beth and Jerry when he's in the tiny planet core.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
He wouldn't have made the Jerry daycare if he didn't care about him a little.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

It's just that he doesn't care about him as a son in law, he cares more about him as his little daughter's annoying pet dog.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

S2E1 he was willing to die to save Morty's life. He's not a completely emotionless monster.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
There's a theory that the Rick and Morty we see in the opening scene of the pilot are different from the ones we see in the rest of the show since the nuke Rick created to annihilate the world was still armed when he passed out drunk.

Also, "our" Morty isnt actually Morty C137 since we see Rick's memories of baby Morty during his brain scan in Rick Encounters and he was supposedly estranged from his family for over 20 years.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

There's a theory that the Rick and Morty we see in the opening scene of the pilot are different from the ones we see in the rest of the show since the nuke Rick created to annihilate the world was still armed when he passed out drunk.

Also, "our" Morty isnt actually Morty C137 since we see Rick's memories of baby Morty during his brain scan in Rick Encounters and he was supposedly estranged from his family for over 20 years.

That could mean a lot of things though, like Rick not originally being from C-137, or clones, or even time travel (although they're staying away from time travel)

Like what if Morty died and so Rick cloned him, speed-raised him, and then erased Beth's memory so she woudln't have to deal with the tragic loss? Seems like how he'd respond to his daughter losing a child. :( Maybe that's what he was busy doing for those 20 years...

But it could just be that Rick took that picture while in another dimension and then came back, but without stealing Morty from the other dimension or anything like that.

You could also be right that maybe Morty was lost or died and Rick just stole another Morty to replace him (like <spoiler about other shows and a videogame> Bioshock Infinite or Fringe)

There isn't enough information to go off of.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Cause it don't exist.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Maybe it was just Harmon retconing their relationship because it turned out that if the show didn't have even a little heart like that it would be an unfun nihilistic wasteland.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Just gonna post this again in hopes of getting a yes or no answer this time:

El Jeffe posted:

Ok so I'm rewatching the series for the first time after not really paying enough attention to the broader inter-dimensional plot the first time (mainly centered around the dimension switch in Rick Potion #9) and I just want to make sure I'm understanding it properly:

The show starts out in Earth Dimension C-137 and we think this because Rick is known as the Rick from C-137. In Rick Potion #9 they Cronenberg the whole Earth so as a last resort Rick brings Morty and himself to an Earth of a different dimension where that Rick was able to save the world but also dies shortly after along with his Morty. We don't know the name of this new dimension in which "our" Rick and Morty are now based for the rest of the show from then on. However, fans' analyses have found evidence that the dimension the show starts in is not actually C-137, but instead a dimension that our Rick (C-137) fled to, possibly because of all the dimension-hopping and rebel stuff he did during his 20 year estrangement from the family.

Do I have that right?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

El Jeffe posted:

knock yourself out, it doesn't matter if it's yes or no

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Can we change the thread title to "Rick and Morty: Don't Think About It!" because jfc y'all're some needy motherfuckers.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I find the analysis of Rick's competence re: the Croneberg Incident amusing because they only had another dimension to escape to when that dimension's Rick screwed something up (literally :haw: ) and blew himself and Morty up with a faulty invention.

You know, the same invention that "our" Rick was about to screw up until Morty interrupted him about the love potion.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

McSpanky posted:

I find the analysis of Rick's competence re: the Croneberg Incident amusing because they only had another dimension to escape to when that dimension's Rick screwed something up (literally :haw: ) and blew himself and Morty up with a faulty invention.

You know, the same invention that "our" Rick was about to screw up until Morty interrupted him about the love potion.

That was another Rick, not the Rickist Rick :rolleyes:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Strobe posted:

Can we change the thread title to "Rick and Morty: Don't Think About It!" because jfc y'all're some needy motherfuckers.

:agreed:

Motherfuckers thinking about this poo poo more than Harmon and Roiland combined.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

AlternateNu posted:

But neutrinos are harmless? so.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
This forum gets insufferable what a shock

Now if you'll excuse me I have to finish my thesis on why Mike Tyson Mysteries is a perfect psychological breakdown of the human sociological experiment

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

http://www.vulture.com/2016/08/rick-and-morty-cast-improv-a-mini-episode.html

Pretty funny little improv R&M scene from Dan Harmon/Justin Roiland/Spencer Grammer.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
20 cc's of feces into the knees is a really great rapid-fire rhyme.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Specer grammer is kelsie grammer's duaghter

My uncle keeps hoping that side show bob will show up some day lol.

Also, kelsie is a super neo conservative - I wonder how spencer and he get along.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

El Jeffe posted:

The answer is still :iiam: because nobody knows.

I do like the idea from the comments in the one fan analysis that Evil Morty is the C-137 Morty. If he abandoned that universe but did something to screw it up like he did with the Cronenberg Earth, it could make sense that the Morty who survived whatever cataclysm went down has some big plans. Especially if he has access to all of Rick's stuff.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

El Jeffe posted:

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Roiland just did a R&M re-enactment of a court case in Georgia. Even he cracks up at bits of it.

http://www.wired.com/2016/08/rick-and-morty-court-reenactment/

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

SpaceCommie posted:

Roiland just did a R&M re-enactment of a court case in Georgia. Even he cracks up at bits of it.

http://www.wired.com/2016/08/rick-and-morty-court-reenactment/

You could have just linked the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vN_PEmeKb0

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Oh neat was wondering when someone would post that in the thread! :D

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lol

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Paladinus posted:

You could have just linked the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vN_PEmeKb0

Well poo poo, yeah should have thought of that :/

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Jesus Christ

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Hey did you hear about this court case thing?

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Dog pile the beancounter guy again it was super funny then too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Please do not make fun of people who say/do stupid things on these, the Something Awful forums.

• Locked thread