Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Ok. I noticed I'm doing a lot more damage shooting HE than when I last played swapping between AP and HE. The aiming thing in the OP really helps too. I always thought I needed to aim with the timer in the middle of the ship to get citadel hits, but I guess I want to aim for the front of the ship.

My first round back I did 38k on my St. Louis, which is more than most games I had last year.

I also really like the Diana, is it a good ship or did I just get lucky when I played it? You outrange almost everything at T2, and the guns are pretty good with a quick reload.

For the most part, HE is the way to go at lower tiers, as everyone seems to have pretty bad AP shells. Also, a good deal of early stuff actually seems to have some armor. While with HE you can just consistently melt people down. But if you see a Tenryu/Kuma always go AP for those, they have destroyer level armor and simple disappear if you throw AP at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
gently caress meeeeeeeeeeeee

Guess I'll update my commander skills guide. I've got to work up the :effort: first, though.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Few things are as fun as repeatedly getting put in matches full of T8 DDs in a T6 BB.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Devorum posted:

Few things are as fun as repeatedly getting put in matches full of T8 DDs in a T6 BB.
Wait till you get put into a match of 4~6 T8~T10 DDs per side :v: poo poo turns into boring snipe fest.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Pro unicum strats on display (open in new tab to read chat)

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Good thing repair doesn't work at full hp :v:

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
What is this ? I don't even....

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

~thats the opposite of my day~

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Well hello there, more like WTF matchmaker.

Traded one main turret for citadel, but my secondaries failed to finish him off so he started repairing.

And I just lost another main turret :argh: Just hoping that my secondaries can somehow sink him.

Basically he traded his broadside for my main turrets (which worked), but I took him down low enough that my secondaries were able to finish him off with fire. RNGesus listened to my prayer in the end.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

wdarkk posted:

If your service level isn't too high (it might be by this point) and you haven't used an invite code yet, use an invite code to get free stuff.

Thanks for this. Decided to hop into this for the first time since the old weekend betas. Played 5 games with various degrees of success. Highlight was a 4 kill high caliber game in the Chester where a Sampson and myself turned a 4 to 2 deficient around. Played 1 game in the Dianni which was basically me going around in circles as my pubs demolished the other team. Thinking of doing US DDs, CA, and I don't know what.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

My god the isokaze is the seal-clubbiest thing. How did I never bother buying it before?

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
It's really cool to have a streak of losing games in domination mode where your teams don't even get caught withing 5km of a capture zone. I mean no matter your contributions the game is lost as soon as it starts. gently caress the coward pubbie meta, you don't get to loving sit back and snipe when all zones are controlled by the enemy.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Pacra posted:

My god the isokaze is the seal-clubbiest thing. How did I never bother buying it before?

Because the clemson is the same tier and better.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Junkozeyne posted:

It's really cool to have a streak of losing games in domination mode where your teams don't even get caught withing 5km of a capture zone. I mean no matter your contributions the game is lost as soon as it starts. gently caress the coward pubbie meta, you don't get to loving sit back and snipe when all zones are controlled by the enemy.

Last night I had a retard in a Baltimore tell me, upon me saying he had to grab the cap he was near now, "But there's a destroyer in it." Literally the only other ships remotely nearby were two battleships, as the singular destroyer we had nearby had wandered in previously and gotten killed after said retard Baltimore gave him precisely zero support.

Admittedly only 10 games in it so far, but my W/R in Yamato is currently way below average, despite decently higher than average damage dealt, because I seem to nearly always draw the dumbass team with it.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 3, 2016

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
I had an NC on my team charge an Amagi and an Iowa that was in the middle cap on ocean, successfully screening them from hitting all 8 of my torps by taking them with his boat.

Not sure what his plan was in charging both of them when they had full health... He was only going to be able to ram one of them. We had some wtf loses today Antoninohandaras... that's your stage name right?

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Don't forget NA dudes - tonight is the last night of cheap re-spec for your captains. So if you've got some gold, it might be worth it to go through your reserve captains and at least reset them, if not put the points back on yet

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

17173: Any plans for Chinese ships in WoWs?

Sergey Vorobyev:we have actually been preparing a Chinese tech tree since release, but now it is still in early stages of development, mainly the collection of blueprints, and military experts planning how to position each ship on the tech tree, including discussions of balancing the ship stats. Because now it is still in early development, Chinese tech tree will not be released this year, but before he (程宇, possibly another WG rep) also mentioned, we might extract a portion of content (from other trees?) to appear on this tree.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Oh, good. An almost entirely paper/imaginary country line. There is practically nothing to work with - like one light cruiser(built in Japan) and a handful of destroyers(also built in foreign countries). What exactly is this completely made up line for?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Lord Koth posted:

Oh, good. An almost entirely paper/imaginary country line. There is practically nothing to work with - like one light cruiser(built in Japan) and a handful of destroyers(also built in foreign countries). What exactly is this completely made up line for?

The lucrative Chinese market?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Lord Koth posted:

Money from upper/middle class Chinese kids.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I've seen reports that a decent chunk the of Russian playerbase were rather unhappy the RN got pushed back in favor of the Russian line, which itself had a pretty large number of fake ships in it, so not entirely sure that marketing model actually holds water.

Then again, the average PRC civilian is probably even less informed about history and even more nationalistic than the average Russian one, so I suppose you may have a point.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Money from upper/middle class Chinese kids.

Considering that russian Russian cruisers are not very popular on the russian server, I'm conviced that people would rather play a prestigious real navy than an immaginary patriotic one.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Counterpoint: the Type 59 is a copy of another country's tank, and Chinese people paid hundreds of dollars for a special edition painted gold with dragons on it.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Counterpoint: the Type 59 is a copy of another country's tank, and Chinese people paid hundreds of dollars for a special edition painted gold with dragons on it.

lol if you think that wouldn't sell like crazy in the western servers

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Golden Type 59 also has double the credit generation

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

I usually am pretty mediocre in cruisers but when the situation is just right it is magical.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

The Golden Type 59 also has double the credit generation

Was it also a certain team kill on site for many players over there

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Stevefin posted:

To be fair, the type of person driving a Type 59G would likely be the son of or the type of guy in Chinese society that could hit a commoner in his Audi and have the government not only drop all charges, but probably ruin the family of the deceased person's lives merely because one of them damaged his car and mildly inconvenienced them.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Stevefin posted:

Reminds me of the Golden robots in Mechwarrior Online, which were sold for 500 american dollars a piece.

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.
I was wrong... I was so god damned wrong. How is the Mutsuki supposed to be anything other than a massive downgrade from the Minekaze?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Kim Jong ill posted:

I was wrong... I was so god damned wrong. How is the Mutsuki supposed to be anything other than a massive downgrade from the Minekaze?

Its not, and the Hatsuharu doesn't look like it improves much on the Mutsuki. I guess getting more guns is ok, but the last thing a IJN destroyer should be doing is shooting at things.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Wait until you get to the Hatsuharu, and realise you've been duped again.

Also I forgot to retrain my Japanese DD captain while retraining was cheap, wanted to get rid of torpedo acceleration. Bleh.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 4, 2016

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.
So I should just go back to the Minekaze and start working my way up an actually functional DD tree?

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I did well in the Hatsuharu and I think the Fubuki is great. But thats where I stopped, I don't see anything appealing about the Shimakaze, and the Kagero is inferior to Fubuki in nearly every way.

I think the key to Hatsu and Fubuki is recognizing that the guns are good. You won't win a DPS race with a USN DD at close range but you can hit them with a very large alpha strike at 10km and continue to hit them while their beachballs float past if they try to chase you.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Hatsuharu guns are worse than the Mutsuki guns tbh, upgraded Mutsuki guns are basically the peak of Japanese DD gunnery so far.

Kim Jong ill posted:

So I should just go back to the Minekaze and start working my way up an actually functional DD tree?

If by functional DD tree you mean American destroyers, then yes.

Just took my Kiev out for its first battle, finally found a half HP Benson that had been spotting me while trying to stealth past for 2 minutes, the first thing that happened is the Benson disabled both front turrets in one shot, the second thing that happened is I hit repair, the third thing that happened is the Benson disabled both front turrets in one shot, and then I basically burned to death trying to get the surviving rear turret on target.

What I'm trying to say is, the Russian DDs have got problems. The worst the American ones get is feeling a little meh about the Farragut and Mahan.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 4, 2016

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015
I had a game where the first 3 deaths were at 3, 12 and 14 minutes. It was like no one wanted to even see each other until the time warning sounded.

Welcome to the Asia server :negative:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lord Koth posted:

Note that Steel Ocean, a game actually from China, only has a single Chinese premium for sale and it's a Soviet Destroyer that was bought for a literal chest of gold for China to use post-war. They also gave away one of the Japanese built CLs for free if you log in for 7 days in a row.

The actual Chinabote game has relatively few Chinabotes. They also have the first Chinese-American flag officer in as one of the American commanders you can buff a ship with, but Gordon Chung-Hoon was a real guy who really did good war and stuff and actually did become an admiral so fair enough.

It also already has the Royal Navy in and they're fun.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Hatsuharu guns are worse than the Mutsuki guns tbh, upgraded Mutsuki guns are basically the peak of Japanese DD gunnery so far.

If by functional DD tree you mean American destroyers, then yes.

Just took my Kiev out for its first battle, finally found a half HP Benson that had been spotting me while trying to stealth past for 2 minutes, the first thing that happened is the Benson disabled both front turrets in one shot, the second thing that happened is I hit repair, the third thing that happened is the Benson disabled both front turrets in one shot, and then I basically burned to death trying to get the surviving rear turret on target.

What I'm trying to say is, the Russian DDs have got problems. The worst the American ones get is feeling a little meh about the Farragut and Mahan.

The key is to save your repair till after the next shell is in flight. Also, why were you not moving around. The key to the kiev's continued survival is hitting nos when you get into a fight with an enemy gun DD. Hold range and weave left and right while being mostly parallel. This will cause most if not all their shells to fall past or short of you. The nos means they have to give their beach balls extreme lead which makes it harder to track you properly. Also, in that instance, I would have barrelled in closer and see if they remember they have torps. If they don't, they'll remember you do when they suddenly find themselves trying to dodge a 10x high speed torp spread from you.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Night10194 posted:

It also already has the Royal Navy in and they're fun.

Stop teasing us. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

JuffoWup posted:

The key is to save your repair till after the next shell is in flight. Also, why were you not moving around. The key to the kiev's continued survival is hitting nos when you get into a fight with an enemy gun DD. Hold range and weave left and right while being mostly parallel. This will cause most if not all their shells to fall past or short of you. The nos means they have to give their beach balls extreme lead which makes it harder to track you properly. Also, in that instance, I would have barrelled in closer and see if they remember they have torps. If they don't, they'll remember you do when they suddenly find themselves trying to dodge a 10x high speed torp spread from you.

I was moving around, problem was the Benson stayed undetected until about 6.5ish km, and at that point it was across my T, and killed my guns with the first salvo, and then killed them again with I think the 4th? Lost track at that point. I fired torps at the closest I was able to get, which was 3.6km, but they all ran out of gas nowhere near it, and I died a fraction of a second after they hit the water. It didn't even need to fire torpedoes at me, and saved them for the Colorado around the corner.

It's just not a contest when the guns are gone so fast and for so long.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 4, 2016