Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

BigRed0427 posted:

Like, you don't like the movie. Fine. But when you say the new ghostbusters is a notch above loving Pixles a big red flag goes off for me. Then your making a second video...why?

They also made second videos for Prometheus and Terminator: Genisys, because they have a raging hatred against androids receiving film roles that simply can't be contained, and they have to subtly leak it out in coded videos for internet super sleuths to dissect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Beefstew posted:

They also made second videos for Prometheus and Terminator: Genisys, because they have a raging hatred against androids receiving film roles that simply can't be contained, and they have to subtly leak it out in coded videos for internet super sleuths to dissect.

But didn't they do the Terminator one because it was a confusing,nonsensical mess? The movie,not the video.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I still feel strange for actually kinda liking Terminator Genisys. There were loving plot grand canyons but seeing Arnie as the T-800 again was great plus JK Simmons had the best line. "Goddamn time traveling robots! Covering up their goddamn tracks! I hate them!"

Plus I'll agree with Mike and Jay that a movie about Arnie working as a construction worker and what he did to pass time while waiting for Sarah and John to show up would be genuinely fun to see.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 2, 2016

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Hell, they made three videos on Prometheus. One for their review, one ripping on it, and one joking about the "questions will be answered" tagline for the DVD release.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

I'd agree that it is. Pixles would've been a pretty forgettable dull movie if it weren't for the blatant narcism from Sandler. Ghostbusters not having it, does give it a slightly higher edge.

Oh poo poo, he's a snitch?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Asuron posted:

I mean considering there were quite a few people in this thread who were calling James Rolfe sexist and all sorts of crap because he made a video explaining why he wasn't going to see it, I wasn't expecting a better type of reaction than the stupid one you gave here but still.

Wasn't that like two people who immediately got corrected? The general takeaway I got from that whole thing was, "Why did he feel like he needed to explain why he wasn't watching a movie to the internet, especially in vlog format?"

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Might be because the first part of his AVGN Ghostbusters video alone has nearly six million views so people were gonna be breathing down his neck and asking constantly what his thoughts were.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Puppy Time posted:

Wasn't that like two people who immediately got corrected? The general takeaway I got from that whole thing was, "Why did he feel like he needed to explain why he wasn't watching a movie to the internet, especially in vlog format?"

This thread alone went on for about two pages about it, then tried to link him as a puppet of AlphaOmegaSin or whatever. Then he was featured in a video that was shared in the thread about "manbabies" hating the new Ghostbusters. Even though James didn't even bring up the gender aspect as a problem with the movie. Much like most of the other negative reviews.
Compare this to the recent Star Wars. The Force Awakens was an amazing movie and great revival to a stagnant franchise that boosted the representation of women and minorities in lead roles. Abrams has always argued for diversity quotas when casting his projects - this goes all the way back to Lost (which I'm still an apologist for, ashamedly). I also have immense respect for Abrams because he admits when he's wrong - he apologized about overusing lens flares, he admitted that putting Alice Eve in her underwear in Star Trek: Into Darkness was sexist and unnecessary, and he's been very receptive to the criticisms of TFA. Paul Feig, on the other hand, routinely doubles down when faced with criticism, and clearly doesn't understand the process of filmmaking as much as Abrams (in spite of the latter's many faults and palpable Spielberg-envy).
Diversity in film is a serious issue. Tokenism is a serious issue. People decrying films with diverse casts as "pandering" or "bowing to the PC police" is an issue. There's no reason Ghostbusters can't have four female leads. The first one had four male leads. It's great that these talented women can find work and exposure in an industry dominated by men. And yet the still deserve better than this. And y'all are fooling yourselves if you don't think a ruthless corporation like Sony can co-opt feminist criticism to use as a bludgeoning cudgel to market a mediocre movie. It's the same poo poo as "Escape From Tomorrow" claiming that it's the "movie Disney doesn't want you to see!" They were feeding imaginary controversy for publicity. Did they end up attracting the ire of a bunch of shithead MRAs like Aurini and such? Sure. gently caress those guys. gently caress their misogyny. At the end of the day, what you're left with is a lovely movie and a bunch of manufactured drama that captivated two extreme sides for free publicity.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Beefstew posted:

This thread alone went on for about two pages about it, then tried to link him as a puppet of AlphaOmegaSin or whatever. Then he was featured in a video that was shared in the thread about "manbabies" hating the new Ghostbusters. Even though James didn't even bring up the gender aspect as a problem with the movie. Much like most of the other negative reviews.
Compare this to the recent Star Wars. The Force Awakens was an amazing movie and great revival to a stagnant franchise that boosted the representation of women and minorities in lead roles. Abrams has always argued for diversity quotas when casting his projects - this goes all the way back to Lost (which I'm still an apologist for, ashamedly). I also have immense respect for Abrams because he admits when he's wrong - he apologized about overusing lens flares, he admitted that putting Alice Eve in her underwear in Star Trek: Into Darkness was sexist and unnecessary, and he's been very receptive to the criticisms of TFA. Paul Feig, on the other hand, routinely doubles down when faced with criticism, and clearly doesn't understand the process of filmmaking as much as Abrams (in spite of the latter's many faults and palpable Spielberg-envy).
Diversity in film is a serious issue. Tokenism is a serious issue. People decrying films with diverse casts as "pandering" or "bowing to the PC police" is an issue. There's no reason Ghostbusters can't have four female leads. The first one had four male leads. It's great that these talented women can find work and exposure in an industry dominated by men. And yet the still deserve better than this. And y'all are fooling yourselves if you don't think a ruthless corporation like Sony can co-opt feminist criticism to use as a bludgeoning cudgel to market a mediocre movie. It's the same poo poo as "Escape From Tomorrow" claiming that it's the "movie Disney doesn't want you to see!" They were feeding imaginary controversy for publicity. Did they end up attracting the ire of a bunch of shithead MRAs like Aurini and such? Sure. gently caress those guys. gently caress their misogyny. At the end of the day, what you're left with is a lovely movie and a bunch of manufactured drama that captivated two extreme sides for free publicity.

Lol okay dude, your favorite internet critic man isn't a sexist if you really don't want him to be

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Don't worry, all. The tasteful analysis of Ghostbusters 2016 is out now!

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
The math for the trailer they brought up was the most entertaining part for me and underlines how pointless this whole stupid mess was.

quote:

38 million views
1,256,000 hit the like or dislike button, 3.3% of the total view count. 96.7% of people who watched it did not rate it.
2.5% of total viewers hit Dislike, 0.8% hit Like
279,919 people commented (0.73%), 99.27% of viewers did not leave a comment
Random sampling of 1,000 comments revealed 119 of the comments to be hateful towards women or bring up feminism, equaling about 12% of the comments made
Estimating this against total comments, 33,513 were nasty, childish, or anti-women.
When put against the views as a whole, 0.08% made an anti-woman or otherwise nasty comment. 99.92% didn't.

If you watched it and liked it, you're entitled to your own ppinion._

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Lol okay dude, your favorite internet critic man isn't a sexist if you really don't want him to be

Come on. It's a decent post and what's stupid is that anyone who says that Rolfe isn't sexist just gets dog piled instantly and laughed at. It's really rather annoying.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Tracula posted:

Come on. It's a decent post and what's stupid is that anyone who says that Rolfe isn't sexist just gets dog piled instantly and laughed at. It's really rather annoying.

Okay, your fave ALSO isn't sexist

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

"Tubular! Catch you on the flip side!"
The math was kind of.... not very good, and also completely meaningless though? It makes a weird assumption that everyone that watched the trailer is someone who actively engages with youtube, making comments and so on rather than just casual users who just watch a video and get on with their day (also it's the number of views and not the number of people that actually watched the video so there's another assumption). Even the percentages on how much comments were to do with women felt useless cause it made the assumption that youtube comments have any semblance of substance.

The sad thing is, and this is probably the thing I don't like the most about the video, is that it's (intentionally or not) apologetic towards the people who were attacking the movie based on the fact that the movie feature women; which they kind of acknowledge that they exist, but also kind of make it sound like they "weren't a big deal". A lot of people are going to watch that and see "Hey look, there weren't that many sexist people to begin with. What's the big deal? Sexism isn't a problem. Leslie Jones is a thin skinned [choose your favourite slur here]. Hashtag FreeMilo".

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Afal posted:

The sad thing is, and this is probably the thing I don't like the most about the video, is that it's (intentionally or not) apologetic towards the people who were attacking the movie based on the fact that the movie feature women; which they kind of acknowledge that they exist, but also kind of make it sound like they "weren't a big deal". A lot of people are going to watch that and see "Hey look, there weren't that many sexist people to begin with. What's the big deal? Sexism isn't a problem. Leslie Jones is a thin skinned [choose your favourite slur here]. Hashtag FreeMilo".

People can misconstrue what Mike/Jay/Rich are actually saying all they want, but what's clear is that they're tired of being lumped in with the MRA/anti-feminist/racist/etc. crowds simply for not liking Ghostbusters 2016. The whole point of the video is that they can dislike a film without being a part of a loud, vocal minority of assholes on the internet.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hating Ghostbusters 2016 doesnt make you sexist hth.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I really did like James's response to the Ghostbusters video.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Kyle, please come back and save us from rolling the boulder of Ghostbusters discussion up the hill of the Internet Critic thread.

Speaking of which, you convinced me to watch Waiting for Godot (2001 version) and it makes me want to watch more plays like it. I wouldn't even know where to start though. Are there other pieces like it? Does SA have a Theater/Play Megathread with a bunch of recommendations?

Also, if I wanted to stay away from local theater but wanted to take part in the classic plays, should I just read them? Is there a venue to watch theater online?

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Innuendo Studios put up a really good video last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N6y6LEwsKc

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Akett posted:

Between this and Waiting For Godot/Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead my brain's been through a lot today :psyduck:

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Kyle , I could have sworn you'd made a video looking at Rosencrantz & Guildenstern. Was it someone else or am I just imagining things?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Akett posted:

Definitely play The Beginners Guide first before watching. It's made by the same guy who made The Stanley Parable and is amazing. Worth the play and the video is great too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gnome de plume posted:

Kyle , I could have sworn you'd made a video looking at Rosencrantz & Guildenstern. Was it someone else or am I just imagining things?

He did one on the Tim Roth/ Gary Oldman version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEdewjDYBJg

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

TheMaestroso posted:

People can misconstrue what Mike/Jay/Rich are actually saying all they want, but what's clear is that they're tired of being lumped in with the MRA/anti-feminist/racist/etc. crowds simply for not liking Ghostbusters 2016. The whole point of the video is that they can dislike a film without being a part of a loud, vocal minority of assholes on the internet.
I know this is a pretty weak argument point, but if Jay/Mike/Rich were the MRA assholes people think they are wouldn't they have loving hated Mad Max Fury Road? Or Force Awakens

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

I know this is a pretty weak argument point, but if Jay/Mike/Rich were the MRA assholes people think they are wouldn't they have loving hated Mad Max Fury Road? Or Force Awakens

If they were the godawful MRA assholes people suddenly think they are, we would have learned about it a LOOOONG time ago, seeing as how they've been in the internet spotlight for going on 10 years now and have been pretty up front and open with their personal views and real personalities since at least Best of the Worst started like 3 years ago. They are known quantities at this point.

...although they don't call him "Third Reich Mike" for nothin'! :v: I'm kidding, christ

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Okay, your fave ALSO isn't sexist

If you don't want to make an valid and earnest argument, please just don't say anything. The irony is that this kind of discourse it actually hurts other individuals who want to use the word 'sexist' in a valid context rather than using it as a catch-all dog whistle for things that you don't like just to make you feel better about yourself.

EDIT: Your post would be fine if it was funny. It wasn't. Like the new Ghostbusters movie.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

...although they don't call him "Third Reich Mike" for nothin'! :v: I'm kidding, christ

I got one but I'm too afraid to make jokes

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Annointed posted:

Jim Sterling did a video about how Survival Games have become babysitting simulators.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvhdU6p1XhI
More specifically how often survival games have become the same, and that the ridiculously greedy meters force you to constantly forage and sleep like you're some Elephant Shrew mixed with a hummingbird. Even more so by how survival mechanics are supposed to provide "realism and immersion", when in reality people can go for much longer without food, water and sleep.

I feel bad because I've completely forgotten the source, but somebody did a really good critique of survival meters, which then went on to influence the Subnautica devs to modify how their systems worked. From a player psychology perspective, constantly showing the meter and worse still, showing the meter immediately tick back down from 100% to 99% soon after filling it up just stresses the player out and steals attention away from the bigger picture.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MrSlam posted:

I got one but I'm too afraid to make jokes

That one's been floating around the Red Letter Media subreddit for years now, along with AIDS Moby as a nickname for Jack, which apparently was a nickname given to Jack by one of his own real life friends, so make of that what you will.

e: It comes from one of Garrett Gilchrist's online rants against Mike, Jay, and Rich post-Gorilla Interrupted and the collapse of their friendship. He falsely claimed that Mike was actually a huge racist/white supremacist, so people started using facetiously it to make fun of Gilchrist.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 3, 2016

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

I feel bad because I've completely forgotten the source, but somebody did a really good critique of survival meters, which then went on to influence the Subnautica devs to modify how their systems worked. From a player psychology perspective, constantly showing the meter and worse still, showing the meter immediately tick back down from 100% to 99% soon after filling it up just stresses the player out and steals attention away from the bigger picture.

I can attest to that. It always feels like I'm not making any headway. Instead of thinking "okay I'm good for now, time to explore", I start thinking "oh poo poo where's the nearest pile of everything."

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Miss Wallace posted:

That's not me in the video, that's Phelan's sister Kyna. ;) She was brave though, gotta admit.

Well thats embarrassing, she doesn't even have the same hair color. I'll blame the tedium of retail keeping my mind unfocused.

Annointed posted:

Jim Sterling did a video about how Survival Games have become babysitting simulators.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvhdU6p1XhI
More specifically how often survival games have become the same, and that the ridiculously greedy meters force you to constantly forage and sleep like you're some Elephant Shrew mixed with a hummingbird. Even more so by how survival mechanics are supposed to provide "realism and immersion", when in reality people can go for much longer without food, water and sleep. Also some Konami News, their revenue is down, the Pachinko machine a bust and now they're trying to get back into gamers' good graces. The best part is that their profits are up, because of Metal Gear Solid 5, and they fired the guy who had this series as a lifelong career. Oh the irony is rich.

For some reason I was expecting him to talk about survival games with open world pvp and how you can't log off without fear of your poo poo being destroyed.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Leal posted:

For some reason I was expecting him to talk about survival games with open world pvp and how you can't log off without fear of your poo poo being destroyed.

That could easily be an episode in of itself, the negative incentives to keep a player engaged in pvp scenarios.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
No game has done survival better than STALKER, and nobody seems to want to emulate them. Inventory management is not fun. Survival should come from dealing with the environment, not handling hunger and thirst meters. Granted, neglecting those meters will get you killed in STALKER, but you are far more likely to be killed by a bullet or a dangerous anomaly in those games.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

No game has done survival better than STALKER, and nobody seems to want to emulate them. Inventory management is not fun. Survival should come from dealing with the environment, not handling hunger and thirst meters. Granted, neglecting those meters will get you killed in STALKER, but you are far more likely to be killed by a bullet or a dangerous anomaly in those games.

but that would be fun, interesting, and most damningly, make the developers think about and spend time designing the environment instead of just plugging in a random terrain generator

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Alaois posted:

but that would be fun, interesting, and most damningly, make the developers think about and spend time designing the environment instead of just plugging in a random terrain generator

I think that's why people are highly skeptical of No Man's Sky.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Pathologic is the only game I can think of.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Alaois posted:

It would also mean for them to care about this industry rather than make a quick buck off of Unity Assets.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Was the 13:37 video length intentional?

I can't wait to get to the end of the video and find out it is and make a total rear end out of myself.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Hey everyone, new episode! This one's on a comic made by the US military to explain Don't Ask Don't Tell to their soldiers. It's dry, out of touch, homophobic and horribly illustrated, hooray!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

I also have a new episode! The Doctor Who Book Guide looks at "Timewyrm: Apocalypse" by Nigel Robinson, which is about a utopia with a daaaark secret! Because you just can't have a normal boring utopia.

Also, I've taken the plunge and am trying to make the Pop Arena into my full time job. Starting this week, I'll be posting new content every Wednesday and Saturday, with new Doctor Who Book Guide videos every other Wednesday. I'll also be reposting a lot of my lost Blip content on Mondays, and have reposted a lot already, including my videos on Sandman, Cybersix, Guardians of Ga'Hoole and Welcome to the NHK.

• Locked thread