Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Educating my intended non-heirs outside my realm didn't work the way I intended. Mostly because the Queen of Bulgaria asked for his hand. The prestige from being both a king and one of her military commanders kept him as my heir even after the lovingly-groomed genius I had got sent off as a mercenary.

Fortunately a quick pilgrimage to Antioch got him enough piety to switch back to West African, and he later wound up being the one to reform the faith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Thanks, that's really helpful. I'm very certain I can't keep the emperorship since my ruler is 50+ and none of my sons are of age yet. I'm mostly trying to figure out what to do in the short time I have as the big boss to make my heir's life as a vassal easier. I had just created the Kingdom of Bavaria but somehow switched to agnatic gavelkind, so I was waiting for the 10 year ruler thing to tick down to change it to something that's not gonna gently caress me over. Does the timer reset now that I'm emperor? I was thinking of using my newfound military might to snatch some foreign holdings that would belong to the Kingdom that my son would inherit.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Thanks, that's really helpful. I'm very certain I can't keep the emperorship since my ruler is 50+ and none of my sons are of age yet. I'm mostly trying to figure out what to do in the short time I have as the big boss to make my heir's life as a vassal easier. I had just created the Kingdom of Bavaria but somehow switched to agnatic gavelkind, so I was waiting for the 10 year ruler thing to tick down to change it to something that's not gonna gently caress me over. Does the timer reset now that I'm emperor? I was thinking of using my newfound military might to snatch some foreign holdings that would belong to the Kingdom that my son would inherit.

I think it's 10 years from the creation of the title. Expanding *inside* the borders might be a better idea than externally unless you are against strong neighbors. Easier to revoke titles in a clever way when you're the top dog.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Can Tengri/Mongol nomad rulers perform the execution where they tie the prisoner up in a bundle of cloth to hide them from the sky god, then trample them under a horde of horse riders?

edit: Also sky burials.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 2, 2016

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Dunno about the execution but there's definitely sky burials.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
There is horse trampling, but I don't recall if you wrap them up first.

New DD: Cats!
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dev-diary-17-crusader-cats.960813

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Darkrenown posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dev-diary-17-crusader-cats.960813

Execution method or government type?

Question: I just got the King of Lombardy excommunicated (silly boy had an anti-Pope) and used an invasion request from the real Pope. I occupied all his top level holdings on the mainland before enforcing demands, but in addition to the mainland holdings I also got the three African duchies that had been incorporated into Lombardy. For future reference, do you just need to win the war to get all his poo poo?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Will Muslim rulers be more likely to adopt cats? What about Byzantines? Were cats as common in Constantinople as they are in modern Istanbul?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Darkrenown posted:

Kitties! :3:

I like that you guys added a "Crazy Cat Lady/Lord" modifier if you get too many cats.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Best DLC ever. Take my money, Paradox!

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Is it possible to become so obsessed with cats that you convert to paganism and start building large statues of yourself with the body of a cat?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

quote:

Is this a joke?
Were there even cats in Europe during the Middle ages?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Goddamit, now Im just obligated to buy it

I have 4 cats IRL, Im gonna use CK2 to have some more

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

Intriguing.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Elias_Maluco posted:

Toxoplasmosis in action ladies and gentlemen.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Jedit posted:

Execution method or government type?

Question: I just got the King of Lombardy excommunicated (silly boy had an anti-Pope) and used an invasion request from the real Pope. I occupied all his top level holdings on the mainland before enforcing demands, but in addition to the mainland holdings I also got the three African duchies that had been incorporated into Lombardy. For future reference, do you just need to win the war to get all his poo poo?

Execution.

As far as I remember you always take all their stuff with the Invasion CB, but you only hold it personally if you occupy at least one holding in the county, otherwise you get the old holder as a vassal.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

As far as I remember you always take all their stuff with the Invasion CB, but you only hold it personally if you occupy at least one holding in the county, otherwise you get the old holder as a vassal.

Bugger, I just wasted five years and kicked out the Jews for nothing.

On the up side, I'm a few land grabs away from forming the HRE.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Darkrenown posted:

Acceptable!

Also...you hath fulfilled yon catte tax.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Kittens?

You must be REALLY desperate for money. Here, take mine. :homebrew:

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

The Reaper's Due ... um, scheduled for August 25th.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/paradox-announces-when-the-reaper%E2%80%99s-due-in-crusader-kings-ii.960838/

Free patch contents:

quote:

New custom rules options at start up for epidemics, invasions, legal changes and so on, so you get the Middle Ages that you want.

New options to auto-save the game at different time intervals

A new interface for better understanding the death and succession of rulers

Adjustments to how alliances work, including AI attitudes to disloyal allies

Major improvements to game optimization

“Continue” button on game launcher to get you to your map even faster

New mod triggers to account for The Reaper’s Due content • Tons and tons of balance and gameplay tweaks, plus new events

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
No need to bold "improvement to game optimization", because that's part of the patch notes for all the recent DLC.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

this is my favorite type of paradox plaza person; the one who is so pedantic he owns himself into a stupor

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Jedit posted:

Bugger, I just wasted five years and kicked out the Jews for nothing.

On the up side, I'm a few land grabs away from forming the HRE.

You get the title you're fighting for, and any titles you sieged down the counties of.
So you could take every county in an invasion by sieging everything.
If you don't siege down the counties you get the previous owners as vassals, including the king you just kicked out.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
So do pet cats give you an intrigue bonus due to all the time you spend stuck in your chair or something after hours because your cat fell asleep on you, which leads to you sitting alone in the dark listening to the goings-on in the castle?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

People visit you so they can cuddle with your adorable kittie, leading to you gossiping together while drinking tea water with leaves in and sharing cake recipes.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Do evil geniuses have cats, or do cats make you an evil genius? YOU decide!

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
that has to be a joke

Made me laugh at least

Anyway, looks like a good purchase, look forward to the endless prosperity of Iceland making it into a 7 holding paradise.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
It was either not a joke or he is very committed to his character as he keeps going.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I've come to the sad conclusion that ASOIAF mod is kind of boring, dragons or no.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I've come to the sad conclusion that ASOIAF mod is kind of boring, dragons or no.

The whole situation in Westeros seems to be tailored to prevent any real major shifts in the power balance.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Just like the books then

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Bloody Pom posted:

The whole situation in Westeros seems to be tailored to prevent any real major shifts in the power balance.

The real problem is that Essos has like a million different identical places and religions. Even those guys who had dragon-killing water wizards once in the books don't get anything.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I wish that GoT April Fool's release or the following mod got updated. I loved that.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
ive been playing that warhammer mod still. still runs very slow, but its at least consistantly slow? idk.

playing skaven / clan fester. I took some of the surrounding clans over in the initial decade or so of the game, then turned my attention to lustria because the lizardmen clans were really easy to beat up on. unfortunatly lustria is also a desolate overgrown 1-size province-filled-hellhole but all things considered it worked out fairly well.

the skaven gimmick is that their unique city upgrades give them something like 1000 light infantry for ultra cheap, so you can pull out huge armies without much trouble. downside is, their government type they're locked into is really poo poo, with :siren:mandatory gavelkind:siren:. also most skaven live only 25-35 years. also every other skaven hates you since you get a -50 malus for "both skaven" on top of a -10 for "liege is skaven". thankfully (??) you call on your vassals by calling them into wars as allies like in tribal stuff instead of using liege levies that they'd never give you. fester is of the pestilins culture group which means they also get some special buildings that give +50% morale bonus to light infantry because gently caress you. also skaven can't usually hold more than 2 provinces and 1 duchy as titles without being bombarded by events where random vassals ask for titles and load your demesne provinces with negatives if you turn them down but I went into the mod files and destroyed it because it was stupid.

my leader got lucky and had a grey seer for a kid, so i murdered his siblings and committed suicide on Vlad Von Carstien via vampire hunting plots. grey seers generally live longer and get magic spells and poo poo so I felt it was a fair trade. you can't name your kids as skaven since they reproduce via event fuckery so he got the name Rhit because he is The poo poo, I guess.

Rhit started out his career by murdering a lot of people, particularly those that didn't like his dad, and also the people that did like his dad but didn't like him. Murdering people is easy as skaven because skaven hate everyone so your plots usually get something like 300 to 1000+ power on them, the tradeoff being that the second some random rat decides you ought to be dead you tend to wind up dead very quickly; make sure your spymaster at least doesn't hate you if you can help it. Also don't have a bunch of people that hate you hang out in your court.

For instance.

This is a halfling lady, whom lived in Lustria, which was taken over by angry rats. Her husband got appointed to rule over some tribe, but then I decided he sucked and I didn't want tribes in Lustria anymore since they produced no money or troops, and to do so I'd need to take those provinces back. So I had his entire family killed, save for Itza, because she couldn't inherit. Itzel, a tiny weak gay hobbit, had her husband and son murdered by Rhit. She really, really hates Rhit on very deep and personal level, and hung out in his court because she had nowhere else to be except in the company of her most hated enemy, along with a gaggle of inexplicable lizardmen that also deeply, deeply hated Rhit becuase they were Saruses and had a -100 malus on opinion against Skaven. Rhit had all the lizards killed because they were ugly and worthless, but kept Itzel alive because out of respect for the absurdity of the situation. This was not a good idea.

I'll give the modders credit for trying to prevent strange situations from cropping up, but sometimes you still end up with not-mayan halfling kids having childhood crushes on malevolent murder wizard rodents; also had events where evil murder plague rat lords apparently hung out and had tea with powerful elf queens and became pen pals, and also became best friends with lizards because they enjoyed discussing theology with each other. There's also stuff I went out of my way to be silly about, such as by using my wizard powers to create a potion of Beauty so I could be a very pretty rat, which came in handy later.

Rhit survived several attempts on his life, and Itzel, to no surprise, became implicated in trying to murder him. She was imprisoned, given gold in recognition of successfully assimilating skaven ways, then banished before she tried anything else.

So in order to keep provinces from starting as much poo poo, I like to appoint humans in charge of them, since they only get a -20 total opinion malus about being ruled by rat folk. In this case, I found a gay chinese man who thought my rat was pretty and put him in charge of a duchy. I truly feel I am playing this mod in full accordance with the modder's visions, and in compliance with the rich and detailed lore of the Warhammer world (before it got blown up, anyways).

e: i also cheated via console to give myself the Grey Lord title; in the lore its some title that gets appointed to the 12 most powerful skaven warlords and the appropriate number start out ingame with it and it makes them suitably immortal and grants a +20 opinion bonus to vassals. Problem is, they didn't implement any way to actually get it ingame, so instead of just playing one of the ones with it and never dying, I decided I was cool enough to have it, and was lame enough to console it.

ee: actually looking at all those maluses due to foreigner/infidel/wrong gov't... it doesn't actually work out that much better: :v: I can convert him at least, so it works out +7 over a skaven duke, and his longer lifespan is useful, as is the fact other skaven hate him immensely (-100) so he won't get involved too much in politics, but horned rat followers can't marry and thus cant have kids so I'd keep having to rejuggle the province, losing all the human culture buildings in those provinces every time I gain possession, which undermines the point further. Worked out better when I made a merchant republic, since there's no -20 wrong gov't malus, and I can convert their houses so the whole no kids thing is less a pain for human converts since it just cycles in new houses. If I could get non-horned rat, skaven cultured humans so they use underlordship gov't and have no foreigner malus while still marrying, that'd be nice, although I suspect there's something in there to stop that, but I could just keep educating kids and see what happens. Or I could use halflings, who get no opinion malus whatsoever either way, but the ones I have got have a lame culture so gently caress them.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Aug 4, 2016

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Who even needs the ASOIAF mod when Geheimnisnacht exists? :allears:

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
That sounds very fun, once you cut out the "give me titles" nonsense.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Caustic Soda posted:

That sounds very fun, once you cut out the "give me titles" nonsense.

yeah there's a few idiosyncratic things in the mod that have made me peel back the veil and stare into the eldritch horror of their mod files. vampire hunting, for instance, has a chain of events that can culminate in you facing off against the undead lord. Problem is, the traits you think matter, don't, and random things matter a great deal, and there is a LOT of random things on that list. Having the trait "hard pregnancy", for instance, multiplies your chance of success by a flat loving zero because of course it does. Doesn't tell you this anywhere; they really should just have it weigh off martial/combat skill alone and have traits modify those as needed.

also making a potion of beauty takes two years but the tooltip for the mod claims one year, so then there's times its just wrong about things. :v:

the logic behind the demesne thing is something I can understand at least (the idea is to keep skaven realms from getting too powerful, i guess? or to just make sure they're always stuck in civil wars?), but the implantation is pretty odious, and its kind of unfair in conception as the AI doesn't have to give nearly as much of a poo poo about the event as a player does since the AI plays fundamentally different than the way a player does (they don't have to worry about game over, for instance). I kept just picking the "gently caress off" option since losing provinces was just a bad idea when they're what keeps factions at bay, but the constant firing of the event got on my nerves enough to just purge it from the files.

e: also the event is broken in that the modders wanted the limit at 3/2 instead of 2/1. not that it really impacts things that much, but its kind of funny.
ee: the province event also just gives you a -opnion malus with some random rat rear end in a top hat that hate you anyways, so its an event you never want to go with anyways since losing out on 3k troops to someone random who will die in less than ten years who hates you just so he maybe hates you less is never, ever a good choice. So the event there was nothing except a bi-yearly annoyance. The duchy one is also bad since you never want to hold more than two anyways since it gives a global malus, so its just kind of a random gently caress you for accidentally inheriting an extra one and not noticing in time before you're faced with giving up the duchy holding your capital and best provinces (which you then fix by just assassinating the stupid fucker who got a hold of it), or having your best provinces loaded with a ten year malus. Stupid, half assed, misguided, and doesn't accomplish anything it was intended to do.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Aug 4, 2016

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Bloody Pom posted:

Who even needs the ASOIAF mod when GeheimnisnachtElderKings exists? :allears:

ElderKings is probably my most played mod since I first played any Paradox games. I am such a Bethesda fanboi

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I've found that hard to play because the average ruler has troops only in the hundreds, which makes the warring states aspect of it kind of arduous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
"greetings elf-thing, i know-know you've got mad hots for me, how about you come over and be thrall-duke in my fetid jungle pit-lair?"

"well gee I dunno, youre kind of an evil mutant chaos bastard serving a dark god and didn't you kill like 50 loving people?"

"but you did take-receive that 80 gold a month earlier, yes-yes? i insist"

"alas i am undone"

the moral of the story is "dont take money from rats you got the gay for or they will send you to suriname"

• Locked thread