Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I think it's about time to raise my 5820K a little, too. Say to 3.7GHz, which seems a nice compromise between boost, heat and power usage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Paul MaudDib posted:

I overclocked my 5820K a little bit and now it's loving fantastic. I can literally be playing a game at 100+ fps with Handbrake running in the background doing 720p encodes at 60fps.

RIP my power bill.

I pushed mine to 4.6 and never looked back.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I'm finding myself so damned tempted whenever Microcenter sends in a circular with the 5820K sitting at the bottom of the 2011v3 chip selection like it's the bastard red-headed stepchild, but I know my options will be better in a year from now.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm finding myself so damned tempted whenever Microcenter sends in a circular with the 5820K sitting at the bottom of the 2011v3 chip selection like it's the bastard red-headed stepchild, but I know my options will be better in a year from now.

Your options will always be better a year from now. It's kind of a universal truth of computers.

Intel cranked the price of the Broadwell-E chips (the 6800K is now $400 at MicroCenter), and unless Zen is the bee's knees then they probably won't be dropping it any time soon. The 6800K actually overclocks worse than the 5820K, and the 5820K is getting toward the end of its life (or maybe out of production already?) so if you want one the 5820K is definitely the better deal of the two and now's the time to get it.

I was on the fence for a while too, but I decided to just ante up and do it, since the Win10 upgrade license was expiring soon. It's been pretty awesome, I haven't run into anything that makes me think I needed the extra IPC of a 6700K.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Having gone with a six core for me is a terrible thing. My upgrade policy for new stuff in regards to specs is same or more. Means as of now, I won't downgrade to quad cores anymore. Intel really hosed me over on this principle when ages ago they've stopped enabling multiprocessing on consumer CPUs after the P3. I was stuck on my dual P3-933 for a long drat while until AMD came out with the first dual core CPUs.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The only spec you should hold yourself to is performance.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

That is implied in all of this.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

HMS Boromir posted:

I've never had a Haswell processor, do they do the thing where they drop their boost frequency by 100 MHz per extra core that's experiencing heavy load? If so going up nearly 1 GHz with a Skylake K seems like it would get you that 20%, though definitely not much more. If the 4690 actually boosts to 3.9 on all cores then it's an even worse value proposition to upgrade.

A 4690 boosts to 3.7GHz on four cores and 3.9GHz on two, when the iGPU is disabled and the cooling is sufficient.

And nobody is going to feel a difference between a 3.7GHz Haswell and a 4.7GHz Skylake in games unless we are talking about something insanely ST intensive while framerates are low enough to matter like playing single player CS:GO on 32+ bots.

Not when Kabylake is around the corner too.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Combat Pretzel posted:

That is implied in all of this.

Except the quad cores are very likely outperforming your 6 core?

I know the i5-6600k I want to upgrade to blows my current Phenom II X6 1090t out of the water, for instance.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Haquer posted:

I spend more time with content creation tools (and multitasking them while one of them is rendering) than games. The slightly lower clocked six core CPU gives me better performance advantages than a higher clocked quad core. And when upcoming games make proper use of DX12 and Vulkan, I might eventually get an advantage out of this in games, too.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Haquer posted:

He mentioned he's got a 5820K, so it's not like he's running AMD. A 5820K will blow away a 6700K let alone a 6600K in anything productivity-related, and it does just fine in games too particularly if you OC.

Skylake's IPC improvements over Haswell/Broadwell just aren't that big, especially when you're talking about DDR4-based quad-channel Haswell-E taking memory improvements out of the equation.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 1, 2016

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Paul MaudDib posted:

He mentioned he's got a 5820K, so it's not like he's running AMD. A 5820K will blow away a 6700K let alone a 6600K in anything productivity-related, and it does just fine in games too particularly if you OC.

Skylake's IPC improvements over Haswell/Broadwell just aren't that big, especially when you're talking about DDR4-based quad-channel Haswell-E taking memory improvements out of the equation.

I missed his processor type so I assumed AMD, whoops

I don't see the need for that processor to be upgraded for a loooong time

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

After 3 years, it becomes a matter of coz-I-can.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

One of the only reasons I was sad to leave my last job was having to leave behind the workstation PC I built for them. The water cooled 5820k in it ran 4.5GHz all day long. It genuinely had no disadvantages compared to a 4-core CPU.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Combat Pretzel posted:

After 3 years, it becomes a matter of coz-I-can.

Buy better graphics and bigger SSDs instead of new CPUs.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Y'all are making me feel bad about choosing the 6700k. The €200 i saved on the build doesn't seem like such a big deal now. And i planned to put it in a matx case but put it in a atx case anyway so i could easily deal with the 140 watt.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

NihilismNow posted:

Y'all are making me feel bad about choosing the 6700k. The €200 i saved on the build doesn't seem like such a big deal now. And i planned to put it in a matx case but put it in a atx case anyway so i could easily deal with the 140 watt.

6700k is good. Unless you want something specific productivity related that requires more processing power.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

blowfish posted:

6700k is good. Unless you want something specific productivity related that requires more processing power.

Oh i know, and i have a second server/PC with a Haswell EP Xeon so it's not like i need six cores. But overkill is so nice.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
As someone who only needs performance for videogames and will never get an upgrade just because I can, I'm pretty happy with buying a 6600K. Hoping to get the better part of a decade out of it.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

NihilismNow posted:

You mean 6800K, right?

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Eletriarnation posted:

You mean 6800K, right?

Good point, it is like €4 more than a 5820k here.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

4€ more and overclocks less good.

--edit: vvv Been there, done that. GTX 1070 yeah!

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 1, 2016

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

blowfish posted:

Buy better graphics and bigger SSDs instead of new CPUs.

Particularly with Pascal out, this is solid advice.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Potato Salad posted:

Particularly with Pascal out, this is solid advice.

I've been doing some benchmarking with 4 TitanX's on one of our dual E5-2680v4 rigs for a customer and...

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

HMS Boromir posted:

As someone who only needs performance for videogames and will never get an upgrade just because I can, I'm pretty happy with buying a 6600K. Hoping to get the better part of a decade out of it.

Yeah you will be set for a looooong time when even a 3.3GHz 6500 is beating a 4.6GHz 2500K by 15% in CPU intensive games like GTA5. Overclock the 6600K to 4.6GHz with DDR4-3200 and watch the lead grow to 70%.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Hey guys why are my temps so high???

Aaaaw yeah my H110i finally got delivered to replace my ageing H100. (loving finally)

A few things to note when installing it into a 550D + p8z68-v pro

The CPU 8 pin is loving TIGHT. Like, bending it downwards tight. Don't even think about getting a screw in there.

You may have trouble with your fan headers. Also, the ram clip is in the way of the screw.

It did not fit with the pipes on the left hand side, it had to go with the pipes on the right hand side. I also had to lower my CD Drive to make it fit :v:

But it fits!

I also replaced my 5.5 year old power supply with a HX850i.

[edit] 4.8 Ghz 2500k, 35c Delta under Prime95.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Cut off part of the frame of the fan and you can get to that fan header.

I might cut part of the frame on the other side to remove the strain on that 8 pin power connector.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Ak Gara posted:

Hey guys why are my temps so high???

Aaaaw yeah my H110i finally got delivered to replace my ageing H100. (loving finally)

Have you considered setting the fans to pull through the radiator, that would make cleaning it easier? I have my CPU heatsink set like that and it even collects surprisingly little dust.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I tried that, but I don't think the screws are long enough to go through the case, the fans, then the rad.

There's also the clearance issue. The cables can juuuust fit thanks to Corsair's stupid idea to use circler fans on a radiator instead of square ones. I'll just have to clean it out every once in awhile. (even though I'm using positive pressure + filtered intakes :argh: )

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

My current motherboard has a usb3 header. This header is at an angle and points it directed at a bent piece of metal in the case (case came that way). Universe telling me no front usb3.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Ak Gara posted:

I tried that, but I don't think the screws are long enough to go through the case, the fans, then the rad.

There's also the clearance issue. The cables can juuuust fit thanks to Corsair's stupid idea to use circler fans on a radiator instead of square ones. I'll just have to clean it out every once in awhile. (even though I'm using positive pressure + filtered intakes :argh: )

I have my H110i set up with the fans on top pulling air through the rad and exhausting it out of the top of the case so it should be possible, what you do is you drop the screws down through the holes on the case, thread them through the holes in the fans and then into the rad, it's difficult to install that way but it gets you easy access to the rad for cleaning.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Is there any reason to buy something like a 6850K over a 6700K for a nearly pure gaming rig? I think I saw someone somewhere maybe mention that DX12 and/or Vulkan might make 6+ core CPUs shine a little brighter?

Only other thing I can think of is if you wanted to go SLI and 8x PCIE was close to getting saturated by 1080s or Titan Xs, but I assume that is not the case.

I do some multi tasking and some higher horsepower number crunching occasionally but probably not enough that I give a poo poo whether or not it takes 60 seconds vs 45 seconds or something.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 3, 2016

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Some games apparently live the higher memory bandwidth afforded by DDR4, which your can't use with a 4700K. Intel 6xx0 gets you dual channel DDR4, and LGA 2011-3 gets up to quad channel DDR4 omg bandwidth.

I don't think the games in question really care about the difference between dual and quad channel DDR4.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Sorry, I meant 6700K.

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006

PBCrunch posted:

Some games apparently live the higher memory bandwidth afforded by DDR4, which your can't use with a 4700K. Intel 6xx0 gets you dual channel DDR4, and LGA 2011-3 gets up to quad channel DDR4 omg bandwidth.

I don't think the games in question really care about the difference between dual and quad channel DDR4.

If you feel like paying even more money than a 6700K is worth, the 5775C also improves memory performance, but in a totally different way: it just has a giant L4 cache. This allows you to re-use your DDR3 and Z97 board, I guess?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I also was ruined (blessed?) with the 6 core launch of the 3930K and will never go back.

Being able to RipBot a BluRay while playing a game and doing whatever else I want without any lag is something I just can't let go of. Sure it is a space heater compared to some of the newer quads that can get close but still not quite surpass this things raw power when the task is multi-threaded. I wonder what SkyLake-E or whatever might bring as the current Broadwell-E sure is lackluster price/performance especially when you want to OC it to actually get any speed out of them. For what they are you might as well just get a Xeon instead.

The one real thing I look to upgrade in the future will be GPU, but nothing else seems to outpace what this chip can do unless you spend the $1200 for the DDR4+ 8/10 core chips.

Also that H110i Performance does sound good. Though cooling a 2500K is peanuts vs bigger/newer chips, that still is a pretty good OC/Temp... May have to pull the trigger to see if I can knock off about 10C off the top of my 4.6Ghz OC to allow this thing to run a bit cooler and quieter than the H100 currently allows.

Also I do have an H80 that has never been used if anyone is interested. I opened the box to take a look at something (think I was checking the mounting to see if I was missing something with my H100 when I got it,) but otherwise it is still New and never been installed.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 3, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

EdEddnEddy posted:

I also was ruined (blessed?) with the 6 core launch of the 3930K and will never go back.

Being able to RipBot a BluRay while playing a game and doing whatever else I want without any lag is something I just can't let go of. Sure it is a space heater compared to some of the newer quads that can get close but still not quite surpass this things raw power when the task is multi-threaded. I wonder what SkyLake-E or whatever might bring as the current Broadwell-E sure is lackluster price/performance especially when you want to OC it to actually get any speed out of them. For what they are you might as well just get a Xeon instead.

The one real thing I look to upgrade in the future will be GPU, but nothing else seems to outpace what this chip can do unless you spend the $1200 for the DDR4+ 8/10 core chips.

Also that H110i Performance does sound good. Though cooling a 2500K is peanuts vs bigger/newer chips, that still is a pretty good OC/Temp... May have to pull the trigger to see if I can knock off about 10C off the top of my 4.6Ghz OC to allow this thing to run a bit cooler and quieter than the H100 currently allows.

Also I do have an H80 that has never been used if anyone is interested. I opened the box to take a look at something (think I was checking the mounting to see if I was missing something with my H100 when I got it,) but otherwise it is still New and never been installed.

The H110i was really designed with the larger chips in mind, to the point that Corsair said in their reviewer guide to test with the i7-5960X because the quad core Intel CPUs simply do not put any stress on the cooler.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

What confuses me though, is where do each cooler sit relative to each other?

H110i
H110i GT
H110i GTX
H115i

What one is the "Best Performance" one?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

EdEddnEddy posted:

H110i
H110i GT
H110i GTX
H115i

The H110i is a bit older, but mostly it lacks stuff like the RGB lighting and nicer looking hoses of the newer ones, performance is similar. The H110i GT and GTX are roughly the same, just made by different OEMs, the H115i is a revision of the H110i GTX and fixed some clearance issues the GTX had with a few motherboards. So basically just get the cheapest one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

EdEddnEddy posted:

H110i
H110i GT
H110i GTX
H115i

The H110i GT was renamed H110i and the H110i GTX was renamed H115i, The H115i has a slightly smaller radiator with slower spinning fans that look to be less pressure optimized. The H115i has tubing coming directly out the top of the block while the H110i/H110i GT has it coming out the side with swivel joints

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The H110i is a bit older, but mostly it lacks stuff like the RGB lighting and nicer looking hoses of the newer ones

The H110i has RGB and the awesome looking braided hose.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The H110i was really designed with the larger chips in mind, to the point that Corsair said in their reviewer guide to test with the i7-5960X because the quad core Intel CPUs simply do not put any stress on the cooler.

That would explain why setting the fans faster than 50% doesn't lower my load temps :v:

Unrelated, I'm liking this Corsair Link thing. With the HX850i it's showing 2500K @ 4.8 + MSI GTX 970 = 377ish watts out the power supply for 93% efficiency.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 4, 2016