Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Teleporting around in the air to attack Titan's hand looks so cool, why'd they have to do such a lovely job at showing it off at E3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Please don't bully Mat

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

My hopes are pretty high for this game, it seems like SE has been listening closely to fan feedback. I played episode duscae when it first released and didn't find the combat all that fun, went and played the platinum demo recently and fighting the iron giant was a blast. The almost real world aesthetic seemed strange at first but has really grown on me, and of course the music will be great(when I found the cafe in duscae and the new chocobo song started playing, a huge grin was stuck on my face for several minutes). I just hope the game has a good sized world and is relatively bug free, I feel like those are where potential stumbling blocks could crop up.

Also im sort of weird about this but it's really loving nice to have a jrpg where the main characters aren't dressed like clowns for once. Like they may have gone a little overboard on the black but I'll take the goth capri pants look if it spares me vaan's abs or EDGE MAVERICK

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Don't count your chickens. For all we know, we might get EDGE MAVERICK outfits as a preorder.

... Actually, would they dare do outfit preorders?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They already have pre-orders for dlc costumes.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I googled it. Got this instead:

I want that camera kit.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Final Fantasy XV releases next month

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Terper posted:

Final Fantasy XV releases next month

Wikipedia posted:

The development period of Final Fantasy XV began in 2006, when it was a PlayStation 3-exclusive spin-off titled Final Fantasy Versus XIII, and lasted approximately ten years

In this time, I've graduated college, gone through several jobs, moved a few times, and gotten married.

Goddamn.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

the development time of ffxv has only lasted about 4 years...!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I am still surprised that this game is coming out during my lifetime.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

DizzyBum posted:

In this time, I've graduated college, gone through several jobs, moved a few times, and gotten married.

Goddamn.

I graduated high school, college, changed my career, and got engaged since the first trailer. Christ.

Honestly, I think it looks loads more interesting now than what they presented from 2006-10.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

HD DAD posted:

Honestly, I think it looks loads more interesting now than what they presented from 2006-10.
The story from way back when certainly comes across as more, uh, chuuni, for a lack of a better word. Noctis's eyes and hair color was supposed to shift as he used his magic, he had special magic eyes that could see when people were close to death, etc. Not to mention a much stronger connection to FNC.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Terper posted:

The story from way back when certainly comes across as more, uh, chuuni, for a lack of a better word. Noctis's eyes and hair color was supposed to shift as he used his magic, he had special magic eyes that could see when people were close to death, etc. Not to mention a much stronger connection to FNC.

I'm not sure it was more "chuuni", I'm not even sure you can even apply that work to works as a whole. It was just more fantastical. But there are plenty of crazy fantastical JRPGs. The whole road trip angle is a unique selling point.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I don't see why it couldn't be. I'm not decrying the whole thing as "chuuni", just that it was more. And it was, it had more "Noctis is super-special chosen with magic eyes that go red when he's being super cool" and poo poo he's still super-special chosen but without the more "I am 13 and this is cool" stuff. Which I don't necessarily dislike (especially when it is super cool), but it's not getting any extra points either.

But hey it's not like Versus 13 was ever a thing anyway so who can say :v:

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Terper posted:

I'm not decrying the whole thing as "chuuni",

Should I know what that means?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

chuunibyou is a term for those kids in your middle/high school that ran around with their arms behind their back because they had complex fantasies in which they were naruto or a delusional dark samurai

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's from "Chuunibyou", which roughly translates to something like "Eighth Grader Disease/Syndrome". You know how people make like, characters based on Sonic but make them SUPER COOL when they're dumb teens?

It's that

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Terper posted:

It's from "Chuunibyou", which roughly translates to something like "Eighth Grader Disease/Syndrome". You know how people make like, characters based on Sonic but make them SUPER COOL when they're dumb teens?

It's that

And for the briefest of moments, the world concurred with Joe Lieberman on video games

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Terper posted:

I don't see why it couldn't be. I'm not decrying the whole thing as "chuuni", just that it was more. And it was, it had more "Noctis is super-special chosen with magic eyes that go red when he's being super cool" and poo poo he's still super-special chosen but without the more "I am 13 and this is cool" stuff. Which I don't necessarily dislike (especially when it is super cool), but it's not getting any extra points either.

But hey it's not like Versus 13 was ever a thing anyway so who can say :v:

I have a feeling I know exactly what that screenshot is trying to convey and I feel very morose.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Terper posted:

It's that

This is a beautiful thing.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

DizzyBum posted:

Goddamn.

poo poo, same here.

This has been in the works for loving ever.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
So what are the odds Square is gonna tank if Kingsglaive and FFXV don't do so well?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arrrthritis posted:

So what are the odds Square is gonna tank if Kingsglaive and FFXV don't do so well?

Square isn't going to tank because they have lots of other stuff to publish but if FFXV doesn't do well it's pretty comfortably likely to be the end of big-budget FF sequels aside from maybe FF7R. (And if FFXV bombs they're probably gonna look REALLY closely at FF7R)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The FF15 saga is cool because it really brings out people that don't understand that Square has been doing other stuff since final fantasy 7 came out.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
People forget that 13 sold well despite a very mixed critical reception, it wasn't until the sequels that people started to lose interest. I'm pretty sure XV will do fine commercially. But hopefully the whole debacle of its development cycle gets Square to keep Tetsuya Nomura far away from leading any projects that aren't Kingdom Hearts.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

can you run and roll around in combat like most 3rd person action games in ff15? having to stand and block in ff13:LR was a really weird feeling bummer imo.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Real hurthling! posted:

can you run and roll around in combat like most 3rd person action games in ff15? having to stand and block in ff13:LR was a really weird feeling bummer imo.

Yep, the combat in FFXV is far more like Kingdom Hearts than LR, go look up some videos on youtube if you're curious.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

cool

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah, I believe the current build is that you can both hold the "block" button to do a guaranteed dodge (assuming you're not locked in an attack animation) that consumes MP, or can do a roll that's more risky but doesn't take MP.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

does dodge drain mp continuously when held or only on activation?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Grozz Nuy posted:

People forget that 13 sold well despite a very mixed critical reception, it wasn't until the sequels that people started to lose interest. I'm pretty sure XV will do fine commercially. But hopefully the whole debacle of its development cycle gets Square to keep Tetsuya Nomura far away from leading any projects that aren't Kingdom Hearts.

To be fair while he's got plenty to take blame for, Square as a company had been a mess. The only reasons we can even say we got XIII-2 and LR is because really Tri-Ace did the games. The XIV debacle certainly didn't help in throwing poo poo off balance. Again, not that he doesn't have his problems, he's apparently very easily excitable about what to do. Tabata's story about how Nomura would call him up at 12 AM because he had a new idea he needed to show off now is a good highlight of his problems, as is the whole "Les Mis was awesome, maybe we should do vXIII as a musical styled game?"

I don't think he couldn't have produced a game eventually, but Tabata's made it clear multiple times that unless someone can present him with a real reason to change their direction of something, XV is staying the course and everyone else can deal with it, he's clearly suited for this kind of project, while Nomura appears struck with... I don't know the technical term for it, it's not "a desire for perfection" but like... remember how he phrased the old combo system? "Oh it's all free form you have to rapidly switch between party members and combo their attacks together." Cool in theory, sounds rather impractical with everything else in the game. He's got a highform mind and a billion ideas he wants to implement and, usually, these are the guys working under a director who then goes "No, we can't do all of that, put it to rest." So work gets done.

It's weird, he was pumping out the KH games with no problem at the same time (though... why was he the "director" on so many KH games at the same time?) but yeah it came to vXIII and the man went crazy, maybe the "task" of working on Final Fantasy in a director role went to his brain?

Regardless, we got Tabata now, and Tabata knows project management.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Real hurthling! posted:

does dodge drain mp continuously when held or only on activation?

If I remember correctly (it's been a while since I've played Duscae or heard any details about the combat system other than what's been shown recently) it's continuous.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Nope, it's when you dodge something that you'll lose MP. Most of the MP drain will come from aerial combat. There are of course attacks you can't avoid with the Guard button that you'll want to dodge or warp away from.

Malboro is a popular cartoon character in Insomnia. He’s the protagonist of a cartoon show that is broadcasted on TV, and he even has his own merchandise such as t-shirts, bandanas, and other goods that are sold in the city

Terper fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Aug 3, 2016

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Terper posted:

Malboro is a popular cartoon character in Insomnia. He’s the protagonist of a cartoon show that is broadcasted on TV, and he even has his own merchandise such as t-shirts, bandanas, and other goods that are sold in the city

Oh please tell me that this is a subtle jab at the whole "Malboro Man" stuff from the U.S. That'd be fabulous.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Onmi posted:

Tabata's story about how Nomura would call him up at 12 AM because he had a new idea he needed to show off now is a good highlight of his problems, as is the whole "Les Mis was awesome, maybe we should do vXIII as a musical styled game?"

I still think that this is a fantastic idea and they should let Nomura make a game like this.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Terper posted:

:( Noctis and his band of brothers will have to fight their childhood hero.

EDIT: After rewatching some of the new footage from the technical presentation stuff shown a few days ago (you can find the links through Terper's posts, he's done a fantastic job at bringing the info to everyone) I don't think the limited magic will be all that big a deal. One video had 28 Firagas in stock. Granted, I'll still horde them because they're still a non-infinite item, but it seems toward the mid-end game running out of Magic shouldn't be an issue.

Gologle fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Aug 3, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

CottonWolf posted:

I still think that this is a fantastic idea and they should let Nomura make a game like this.

No it's fine, if you want to make a game like that. But when you've been working for a long time, you don't want the director considering that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm sure lots of Nomura's ideas would be great if there were any chance of them coming out in less than 10 years.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i got an email about carbuncle surprise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I get a carbuncle surprise every time I google the word.

• Locked thread