Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

frodnonnag posted:

The choke point for most people is most likely shadows and often weather effects. Newer poo poo often has issues running this. Too add, I don't thing modern resolutions and systems can render avatar glow, it just tends to make things blocky.

Mythic is a very long slog. Keep it for when you have alot of spare time and a drat good gil source. Expect a budget of 400m plus.

Yeah, turning off shadows and weather can double framerate. It's nuts.

And I am definitely ready for a marathon with Mythic. I've just always wanted one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Farmer Shinjobi has become an NPC.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Shinjobi posted:

Farmer Shinjobi has become an NPC.

Braw wirk, lad.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Got the sheep and malboro mounts. A+, will ride again.

Also, Aettir obtained. Now I just gotta finagle some vagary wins so I can upgrade my RUN empy.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur
If you do the shout for vagary it will be easier to get the win. You just need the right amount of people.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
So in an official ama, ffxi developers have stated that the direction and day for crafting does nothing. So yeah, there is that I guess.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Sprite141 posted:

So in an official ama, ffxi developers have stated that the direction and day for crafting does nothing. So yeah, there is that I guess.

And people on bg are rabidly saying that the devs dont know poo poo.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Not surprising. You keep it secret for over ten years, with people only having stats to guide them...too little, too late.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

frodnonnag posted:

And people on bg are rabidly saying that the devs dont know poo poo.

Considering most of the crafting system was created over a decade ago, I wouldn't doubt that there might be something that the current devs don't know. But who knows. :v: (spoilers: the devs)

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Kazy posted:

Considering most of the crafting system was created over a decade ago, I wouldn't doubt that there might be something that the current devs don't know. But who knows. :v: (spoilers: the devs)

To be fair, the devs don't exactly have a history of being honest. It's rarely out of malice, but I'm thinking of when they claimed there was a mechanic to counter AV, but were referring to locking his 2-hour by having a party member use the same two hour within an impossibly small window. Or the constant excuses they use to explain why they aren't going to bother making any upgrades. Recently they said they hit the limit on how many BLU spells they could make.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Kazy posted:

The devs have said things that are outright wrong or contradictory (about smn) before.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Reading about the exp changes, teleports, trust npcs and everything is wild. Going back into the game from when I quit in 08 would be bizarre, like doing 08 endgame content solo?? (With trusts and stuff)

The changes they've made read less like actual developer notes and more like one of those unoffical wow servers where all mobs dropped full sets of gear and you leveled to cap in five kills. Especially with how stitched together it sounds like, I remember /sack being added. Weirder now since consoles aren't supported but the game is still built around that.

Wild. Tempted to gently caress around. I'd have to use a bootcamp or something though. I never even hit 75 cap. Did hit 74 though, lol...

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Reading about the exp changes, teleports, trust npcs and everything is wild. Going back into the game from when I quit in 08 would be bizarre, like doing 08 endgame content solo?? (With trusts and stuff)

The changes they've made read less like actual developer notes and more like one of those unoffical wow servers where all mobs dropped full sets of gear and you leveled to cap in five kills. Especially with how stitched together it sounds like, I remember /sack being added. Weirder now since consoles aren't supported but the game is still built around that.

Wild. Tempted to gently caress around. I'd have to use a bootcamp or something though. I never even hit 75 cap. Did hit 74 though, lol...

That is exactly how I felt when I came back and got the full scope of everything. It really does feel like a private server with good gain rates and mods.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Dreamed about this game all night so I guess I'm installing wine or whatever

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I'm on asura as ziasquinn. Would love a linkpearl

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Spent an ungodly amount of time getting a summon mount and slowly cutting into new content for the exp bonuses. Pretty sick to let three npcs kill mobs and give me 1000 exp a kill. I popped some exp bonus items and practically skipped level 29 in two fights :eyepop:

Have to be on my higher level job to actually progess though.

The stat creep on l99 gear is hilarious

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Spent an ungodly amount of time getting a summon mount and slowly cutting into new content for the exp bonuses. Pretty sick to let three npcs kill mobs and give me 1000 exp a kill. I popped some exp bonus items and practically skipped level 29 in two fights :eyepop:

Have to be on my higher level job to actually progess though.

The stat creep on l99 gear is hilarious

You should see the stat vomit on the i119 REMA weapons with afterglow 3. https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Apocalypse_(Level_119_III)

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Fuckin lol it just says in quotes "Catastrophe" without any weapon skill of the old legacy context from the insane relic hunters who were like servers firsts in obtaining the insane ceiling of being the first to unlock that exclusive weapon skill.

What when dynamis was hyper hard and single instanced with 24 hour resets...

I assume at 99 I'll be able to solo with trusts any old 75 content...

Today I swallowed four hours and ended up leveling in the sewer dungeon under sandoria and was reminded of how many zones are in the game like that which are used maybe a handful of times and other wise don't exist. Definitely an interesting world building aspect of an everquest mmo versus more utilitarian games like wow based ones.

Exploring those strange places, like the caves under la theine and the ruins under windurst was always really crazy cause, especially in pre 2010, it felt like you could run into or find things that were undocumented.

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 8, 2016

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Dynamis had a 72 hour lockout and no instances. Sure was fun setting up for an hour and then having some random shell trade their glass and snipe the zone from you.

God, I forgot all about that. I was in a couple different shells for dynamis and we had all sorts of systems in place. Attendance was always called, too many unexcused absences and you got booted, point systems for priority lotting, you could pay for the hourglass for exclusive currency lotting privileges but you weren't allowed to actually bazaar any of it...

I can't believe the devs seriously tried to make a 72 man event work in that engine and we put up with it for as long as we did.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

DizzyBum posted:

Dynamis had a 72 hour lockout and no instances. Sure was fun setting up for an hour and then having some random shell trade their glass and snipe the zone from you.

God, I forgot all about that. I was in a couple different shells for dynamis and we had all sorts of systems in place. Attendance was always called, too many unexcused absences and you got booted, point systems for priority lotting, you could pay for the hourglass for exclusive currency lotting privileges but you weren't allowed to actually bazaar any of it...

I can't believe the devs seriously tried to make a 72 man event work in that engine and we put up with it for as long as we did.

I had a Dynamis PUG shell back during WOTG.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I still refer to tiamat when it was cutting edge and how bonkers it was. Tanks existed to die. Side alliances dedicated to killing adds and building tp, casters being told to log out for five minutes if they caught hate, people accidentally calling for help on him at 5% hp. Lmao. Lmao.

I wasn't around when absolute virtue killed people.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Bastok Rank 10 :toot:

I'm on a quest to collect all the permanent capacity point bonuses before I start working on job points. San d'Oria will be next. If nothing else, it's a good excuse to run through all the story missions.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Zero The Hero posted:

I had a Dynamis PUG shell back during WOTG.

I had farmed up 4/5 relic +1 before the level jumps. I had spent 2 years going after relic body +1 and got it right before the dynamis overhaul that obsoleted and bypassed all my progress. I am still extremely bitter that you dont need the +1 version to get to +2 and you dont need either to go from 75 to 109.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
I am so glad I stopped playing ffxi until recently. I never had to put up with that bullshit.

Also, I just got my level cap boosted to 60. I'm just going to power level my way to max on my thief before I try settling into a specific class. I still have those exp boosting items from the beginning of the game, so I'll be able to bring the next class up to max much faster.

I'm thinking maybe level dark knight or warrior with my theif as a subclass for dragoon. Though I hear dancer is pretty sweet as a sub, and I do want to play blue mage too. Oh man, so many choices.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Sprite141 posted:

I am so glad I stopped playing ffxi until recently. I never had to put up with that bullshit.

Also, I just got my level cap boosted to 60. I'm just going to power level my way to max on my thief before I try settling into a specific class. I still have those exp boosting items from the beginning of the game, so I'll be able to bring the next class up to max much faster.

I'm thinking maybe level dark knight or warrior with my theif as a subclass for dragoon. Though I hear dancer is pretty sweet as a sub, and I do want to play blue mage too. Oh man, so many choices.

Dancer is the utility subjob for all melee (just like how its counterpart, scholar, is the utility sub for mages).

I suggest taking everything interesting to about 60. You can learn the bare basics and decide what you like, or you can leave it there and have it available as a sub. If you want war 99, you will need nin, dnc, sam. If you want drg you need war, dnc, sam, whm. Drk needs war and sam.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
I mean, if I'm only taking warrior or dark knight for it to be a subjob I have no reason to take it past level 45, but I see what you mean. And scholar is the utility for magic? I was originally playing a black mage, and I was going to have red mgae as my subclass. I'll look into sholar.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Sprite141 posted:

I mean, if I'm only taking warrior or dark knight for it to be a subjob I have no reason to take it past level 45, but I see what you mean. And scholar is the utility for magic? I was originally playing a black mage, and I was going to have red mgae as my subclass. I'll look into sholar.

49 for subjob.

Blm uses rdm, sch and whm.

Scholar has its little dual class system and the extra abilities.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

does anyone know anything about using windower to connect to a private server?

When I try to connect, I get an error message saying xiloader.exe has stopped working while its configuiring play online viewer tetra master

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

OK I got it working. Would anyone be interested in playing on a private server with lvl 75 cap?

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Reverand maynard posted:

OK I got it working. Would anyone be interested in playing on a private server with lvl 75 cap?

If you do this, try out supernova. It's the only one I've seen so far that strikes a nice balance between adding quality of life features and not expecting you to poopsock like it's 2004, while leaving the actual gameplay relatively intact

Eighty
Jun 15, 2005

The only private server i know of is Nasomi's, which is strictly pre-ToAU / level 75 cap. Is there any private server that allows you to use trust NPCs?

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Eighty posted:

The only private server i know of is Nasomi's, which is strictly pre-ToAU / level 75 cap. Is there any private server that allows you to use trust NPCs?

Doubt it, code for those are server side.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
I had heard this closed down, but I guess that was just consoles. At any rate a week or so ago, I looked up private serves for some nostalgia and found the list below.

Didn't actually try any of them out, but seems there are a lot of servers with lots of options. Most of them seem to have modified quests or GM granting of items for those that aren't drops.

https://wiki.dspt.info/index.php/DarkStar_Servers

Eighty
Jun 15, 2005

frodnonnag posted:

Doubt it, code for those are server side.

Well, dang.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
http://www.ffxiah.com/item/21394/sancus-sachet
:suicide:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I don't know if it's safe to laugh at you, but I want to anyway.

Also I'm sorry.

Kieyen
Dec 18, 2006
Yikes, are we on suicide watch fro Frod?

Don't do it Frod, you have...some things to live for!

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

RIP in pieces Frod, you will be missed.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
I always wished I could be on the receiving end of one of those AH mistakes. Oh well.

sorry for your loss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
He gave it back :v: