Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Alternatively, the Kais do indeed have jobs, it's just that our friend the Supreme Kai is utterly terrible at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

New Leaf posted:

I kinda look at it like this - you plant a garden in your yard, and you're responsible for making sure that garden survives. There's ants and beetles and spiders and all sorts of creepy-crawlies in the garden, but as long as they don't threaten to destroy the garden, you're cool. So maybe there's a big gently caress-off spider named Frieza in there eating a whole bunch of ants? Who gives a poo poo. They're ants. The spider isn't destroying my cucumbers, so whatever. But then you get a rabbit.. a big fat pink Rabbit named Buu. That rabbit could really gently caress poo poo up. That rabbit could single handedly obliterate your entire garden! And I'm big and strong, and this is MY loving garden.. but rabbits are tricksy and fast and cunning and they'll just hide in a hole or dart off and I can't catch the rabbit. But my cat Goku.. I bet my cat can catch that rabbit..

A good point that goes well with this post. vvv

Pureauthor posted:

Alternatively, the Kais do indeed have jobs, it's just that our friend the Supreme Kai is utterly terrible at it.

This is essentially my interpretation. I am being a bit glib when I say "they don't have a job at all" when I am more pointing out that there is no authority on making sure that the various super-powerful beings who spend thousands of years drinking tea and lecherously looking at the bodies of mortals actually do the only thing they are supposed to be on watch for. The freeloaders of the universe if you will.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

reignofevil posted:

Fair enough. I didn't see any Kai's standing in front of Majin Buu when he was ripping the whole universe a new one though. If your standards for "defending the mortals" are less of a threat than Buu but more of a threat than Frieza I don't even know what to tell you except that you really don't have a job.\

Edit- and just to be clear I'm talking about the second time; obviously a significant number of Kai's died attempting to stop him the first time.

Regular Kais can't fight very well and are basically just overseers. They watch over a quadrant of the galaxy and then try to figure out ways to fix things (like recruiting their strong, good fighters to take out threats).

Supreme Kais actually create worlds, can actually fight (all are supposedly way more powerful than non golden Freeza), and oversee the entire universe including the living/dead worlds.

When Buu came, all we had were the old kaioshin and garbage East Kaioshin, and you see how that went. Since he was garbage, he had to recruit Gohan/Goku/Vegeta/Satan, who were way more powerful than him.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Goku just owned a supreme Kai in SS they can't fight either.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

reignofevil posted:

Fair enough. I didn't see any Kai's standing in front of Majin Buu when he was ripping the whole universe a new one though.
If we're specifically talking about the Buu saga, Kaioshin did attempt to stop the second coming of Majin Buu, but Majin Vegeta and Goku's mega-brawl provided a surplus of energy, which allowed Buu to resurrect at full power. At that point, there wasn't too much Kaioshin could do, since Majin Vegeta was determined to fight Goku, and would have killed Kaioshin if he tried to intervene. I guess this one of the consequences of what happens when mortals become stronger than the Gods themselves, right?

In that situation, the Kais were out of their depth. Kaioshin's "bodyguard" Kibito, for example, did gently caress all. He just stood around looking tough and stern, but ultimately, he was just dunked on by Dabura. Evaporated just like one of Freeza's useless, nameless henchmen.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 2, 2016

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The only competent gods are the guys who spent their lives sleeping and eating without a care, and force people to feed them in exchange for not blowing up their planets and killing them all, and sometimes they do anyways.

Being a mortal is hard in any of the DB universes.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

To be fair, he's doing the work of like 5 people since Buu's last rampage.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Jedah posted:

If we're specifically talking about the Buu saga, Kaioshin did attempt to stop the second coming of Majin Buu, but Majin Vegeta and Goku's mega-brawl provided a surplus of energy, which allowed Buu to resurrect at full power. At that point, there wasn't too much Kaioshin could do, since Majin Vegeta was determined to fight Goku, and would have killed Kaioshin if he tried to intervene. I guess this one of the consequences of what happens when mortals become stronger than the Gods themselves, right?

In that situation, the Kais were out of their depth. Kaioshin's "bodyguard" Kibito, for example, did gently caress all. He just stood around looking tough and stern, but ultimately, he was just dunked on by Dabura. Evaporated just like one of Freeza's useless, nameless henchmen.

I totally forgot about that. Fair enough I'll give Supreme Kai credit for even showing up.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I don't get into power level dick measuring contests, but I've always assumed Supreme Kai was around Cell strong, just totally outclassed when it came to Buu.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Huh, watching a Rhymestyle video on the newest episode and he makes a good case that Black is not Zamasu, but the evil he expelled, a la what Kami did to become guardian.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

New Leaf posted:

I don't get into power level dick measuring contests, but I've always assumed Supreme Kai was around Cell strong, just totally outclassed when it came to Buu.

His bodyguard got dunked on by Dabura who was directly stated to be at Cell's level, and what's the point of a bodyguard that's weaker than you?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Eopia posted:

His bodyguard got dunked on by Dabura who was directly stated to be at Cell's level, and what's the point of a bodyguard that's weaker than you?

To be fair, that was kind of a cheap trick - unless you're talking about something other than the stone spit.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

He didnt kill Kibito with spit he killed him with a pretty much regular Ki blast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhjmnoM5yNw&t=9s

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oh, drat, so he did.

Hah, the gods are punks.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Eopia posted:

To be fair during Gohan's fight, they did say Dabura was a bit stronger than that, but still shouldn't be a problem.
On the other hand Kaioshin wanted to gang up on Pui Pui (who assumed x10 gravity was formidable, basically Sayian saga stuff), who was slaughtered by base Vegeta. Kaioshin is a total scrub.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Goku just owned a supreme Kai in SS they can't fight either.

which means that guy was stronger than majin buu(all of them).

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I'm kind of getting the feeling that Black isn't Zamasu or something, but a creation of Zamasu. Zamasu poured his Ki into Black, forming it into a facsimile of the guy who beat him, and sends it to gently caress up his universe in the future with a time ring. Black is basically a blank slate with some orders, and is designed to keep incorporating new abilities it learns. Maybe it got too powerful, killed Zamasu, and left to go vaporize Trunks' future because why not? I dunno. It just seems like Black isn't Zamasu, because his knowledge seems too limited.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Toriyama did say this storyline was gonna get confusing due to time travel.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

will toei actually let toryiama do a story thats more than 1% cerebral though?

FIND OUT NEXT TIME

ON DRAGON BALL ZEEEEEEEE

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

*Super

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Decided to watch Super on a whim the other day, not sure what my last exposure to DB was. Took a while to get into, seemed to start with what amounts to a filler arc, and am I right in thinking the first two arcs are retelling of the last two movies? Seems kind of odd since they were so recent. Way better than GT for sure, is that a separate continuity now? Can't remember much of it but I feel some of it doesn't work.

Anyway, Beerus and Whis are great, and it's fun that they see to be making callbacks all the way back to original Dragonball and early DBZ which often seemed to be forgotten later on. It's funny how I'm enjoying the progression even though they introduced two more levels of Super Saiyan already (3 if you include adding Kaioken to them)

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Go watch Battle of Gods. It's the Beerus and SSGod arc of Super except done way better.

RoF arc is a wash though, neither version is that good.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
We don't really know what they're verdict is on GT, but it really seems like they've just ignored it entirely. For what it's worth Xenoverse implied GT was an alternate timeline.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

TBFair Xenoverse is itself an alternate timeline at best (Future Trunks has no idea who Beerus is in the game.)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

GT is undeniably an alternate timeline at this point, considering new media adds several inconsistencies (even more than the ones GT has on its own, which aren't a few!). Plus, every game that has GT versions of the characters makes an effort to designate them as such (Goku (GT), Vegeta (GT), Gohan (GT), etc), no such thing happens with the Super versions.

Also I'll make a suggestion here, BizarroAzrael: don't think of anything as filler here, it isn't adapted from a manga so there isn't real filler. Super has put a lot more effort into having slice-of-life bits than the previous shows and it absolutely benefits from it, some of my favourite episodes (Pan!) fall into the category and I think they do a great job fleshing out the characters and their interactions. Though the Pot-au-feu episodes were bad. Also also, I'll second watching BoG and skipping the arc entirely, since the movie is far better and there aren't any differences that will affect your viewing later. RoF, watch the anime, it's overall better than the movie. And then watch the series come into its own with the U6 arc, and the rather impressive showing that has been the Black arc.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Soon as you finish with the freeza arc everything starts getting way better, and then there's hype character moments with Vegeta and then there's the sickest thing you've always ever wanted and now we're gonna get some convoluted timeline poo poo that I love.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Pureauthor posted:

Go watch Battle of Gods. It's the Beerus and SSGod arc of Super except done way better.

RoF arc is a wash though, neither version is that good.

I would say the Super version is better since it doesn't just throw away that minion with the cool scouter and allows the glorious return of Captain Ginyu.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Speaking of Battle of Gods, if you have seen the movie and haven't seen this, you should really loving watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h48Ru0-RJII

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

New Leaf posted:

Speaking of Battle of Gods, if you have seen the movie and haven't seen this, you should really loving watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h48Ru0-RJII

That's pretty neat. I always like to see how into it Sean Schemmel gets when he's making those Goku screams.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

That's pretty neat. I always like to see how into it Sean Schemmel gets when he's making those Goku screams.

Yeah I love when they get really into it.

The voice of Beerus is Tobin from 'The Walking Dead'. I was pretty floored the first time I found that out. Cool to see him doing this sort of thing.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

New Leaf posted:

Actually he probably wasn't even that strong didn't buu casue him to get promoted waay before he was ready?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

dr.acula posted:

He didnt kill Kibito with spit he killed him with a pretty much regular Ki blast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhjmnoM5yNw&t=9s

Isn't the evil impulse generally presented as Dabura's signature move in all of the games?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the games don't really matter, they just take what's there and run with it

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Rirse posted:

I would say the Super version is better since it doesn't just throw away that minion with the cool scouter and allows the glorious return of Captain Ginyu.

It kinda does though, because of Captain Ginyu.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

http://mangastream.com/r/dragon_ball_super/014/3579/1

I like the expanded story.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I went "Oh hey its the time slipper from Dr Slump!" when the teacher was telling Lil' Trunks and Pilaf's Gang about time travel stuff.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Future Mai is great and her coming back to the past instead of Trunks would've been really interesting

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Toyotaro did a much better job explaining how DB time travel works here than the anime did, not to mention gave an actual justification for why Trunks travelled at that exact point in time.

The U6 arc in the manga was underwhelming, but the Black arc has started in a very good way. Hopefully both versions will give us great versions of the same thing.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Jesus, that's a beautiful chapter all-around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

The way the sheath is drawn, it definitely looks more like the Old Kai Z-Sword than his old sword..

• Locked thread