Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Good God almighty, this comic needs an editor.

e: or maybe just a blanket ban on male characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

ManlyGrunting posted:

Good God almighty, this comic needs an editor.

e: or maybe just a blanket ban on male characters.

Hey now, whatshisname Sonar guy is chill and good. And Furnace was becoming a compelling character before he got exploded. Just... not anybody else.

She is going to wind up with loving Clevin, isn't she.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well, if you worried for a moment that there might be some moral complexity, you can stop now.

There's an interesting moral question buried in there about whether you should let people work in bad conditions if you want to, or if it's right to engage in unfair labor practices when they're illegal immigrants and those unfair labor practices are how they stay competitive enough to get work, but none of those are being asked here.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
God drat. This guy couldn't just be some rich kid with unexamined privileges and a trickle-down-econ view of the world. He's gotta go from zero to control freak to flag him as A Bad Guy and allow our hero to spend Friday in full lecture mode.

Also I guess this guy has had a lot of botox injected into his face or something? Might explain why he only has the one expression.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
I might be giving them too much credit here, but this page actually makes me interested in Max. The way the background turns to orange in the, "don't tell me what to do" panel makes it seem like Max has some actual issues that are driving this as opposed to just being a douchebag.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Plus telling that to someone who can put you through a wall without breaking a sweat shows either serious balls, or a stunning lack of survival instincts. Like that's about the only thing I enjoyed about today's strip, Allison's "really?" reaction to his outburst.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Warmachine posted:

Alright. I'm out. It's been a good run hoping for the upswing. But after clearly illegal labor boyfriend, the messages couldn't get more ham handed if they were actually hams. :btroll:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Hmm maybe like Patrick, Max works much better if he actually has Asperger's syndrome.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Strong Female Protagonist: It works better if everyone has Aspergers

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Serene Dragon posted:

Lmao, drat, this guy is a real peach. You sure know how to pick them, Alison.

Honestly, I hate this page so much more because it actually vindicates the commentators that were screaming he was pure evil on the first pages he appeared. He went from guy she rescued from a burning building to slightly ignorant libertarian to massively privileged dickhead pretty quickly.

It's great because almost all the comments are "See, I Was right! Now she should just brutally murder him. That would be a good idea!"

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I can't stop laughing at that fifth panel.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I told you guys this was where the writer is going. It was super obvious he is Libertarian Man, defender of bootstraps, from that awkward as gently caress date. This writer works in stereotypes of people he dislikes, not in actual characters with depth.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I am like 90 percent sure all of this is going to lead to Allison blossoming into a lesbian or dating a biodynamic that is gender queer. There's nothing wrong about that but the writer obviously doesn't know where the gently caress he is going with any of his stories.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 3, 2016

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

robot leg lady is already set up for that

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Sometimes this comic is actually interesting but then other times there's this dumb as poo poo stuff going on.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Alison have you tried punching exploitation in the face?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
So she's dating Martin Shkreli.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Lemme tell you about Virtue signalling and the power of the free market

Cat Mattress posted:

So she's dating Martin Shkreli.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He's trying to commit suicide by supercop.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Why is Alison still here, honestly? There is some point in this conversation where a logical person with the power of flight would go "Oh. You're a douche. Have a nice life." and fly away, and it boggles my mind she isn't there yet.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

rotinaj posted:

Why is Alison still here, honestly? There is some point in this conversation where a logical person with the power of flight would go "Oh. You're a douche. Have a nice life." and fly away, and it boggles my mind she isn't there yet.

I don't have the power of flight and I'd have peaced out immediately after he said it was their choice to work exploitative hours. Like how does someone with any ounce of principle not immediately tell him he's a selfish fuckbag and leave after that outburst?

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

She made moon eyes at a mass murdering terrorist oligarch for years, dating some guy with a temper problem who's kind of an rear end to his parent's gardeners is honestly a step up for her.

We might only have a few months of a diner scene with this jerk, rather than a year of the office scene with the old jerk. A big improvement!

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

I do like how she referred to Cleaver as "my friend Daniel".

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

rotinaj posted:

she's waiting for mary to come stab him

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
this is the worst date I've ever seen. brennan how do you keep doing this.

Absum
May 28, 2013

is he going to say he is selfless because of all the sacrifices he had to make as a job creator

because if so woah boy

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Patrick Did Nothing Wrong.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 5, 2016

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

rotinaj posted:

Morbid curiosity. She checked out after his "No you don't tell me what to do Dad" outburst, but she still wants to know what horrible thing he'll say next and why he is the way he is. Also, free food that some underpaid illegal immigrant probably slaved over for hours that'll just get thrown away if she doesn't eat it.

And they're eating dinner on the roof and anytime she wants she can just fly away (or just jump off and walk). There's no downside to pushing this situation exactly as far as she cares to push it instead of bailing early on the fear that things might get really awkward later.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

this is the worst date I've ever seen. brennan how do you keep doing this.

Their first date was reasonably okay, yes?

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

rotinaj posted:

Because she's about an hour away from putting him in a Saw-type deathtrap with "Incentive Structure" spraypainted on the side and leave him to either crawl through caltrops or burn to death

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
You know, for a second there I thought with this rich kid we were going to get a complex insight into how people develop privileged viewpoints in a totally non-malicious way, thus giving us a unique perspective of how allison deals with complex behaviours.

Nope. Libertarian rear end in a top hat it is then. what a dumb writer this guy is.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think I like this guy now. :allears:

I mean, yeah, everything he's saying is full of holes, but that's the level of discourse I'd expect from a fresh, young college student. They're both arguing from positions of ignorance, too. For all either of them know, they could just be working on a nocturnal cycle, or they could be working under threat of being deported. Either way, this is probably the closest we'll ever get to seeing an alternative viewpoint expressed aside from The One And Only Correct One.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Al-Saqr posted:

Nope. Libertarian rear end in a top hat it is then. what a dumb writer this guy is.

He's about to start arguing about how Feral isn't actually being selfless. He's not just a libertarian rear end in a top hat, he's an Objectivist rear end in a top hat.

Also I love how he's going slightly wall-eyed in that last panel. I'm imagining him just suddenly floating off of his chair, tumbling weightlessly through the air in the same seated position as his eyes continue to drift further apart and he rambles about how Ayn Rand was so incredibly right about everything.

Also I didn't think it could get more ham-handed than last chapter, but apparently it can!

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

The Lord of Hats posted:

He's about to start arguing about how Feral isn't actually being selfless. He's not just a libertarian rear end in a top hat, he's an Objectivist rear end in a top hat.

It could still be libertarianism. Maybe he's about to start arguing that Feral should be selling her high-demand commodity at market rates or else the organ bubble will burst.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've bashed on the writer enough. Let's talk about that last panel. Why does that dude look like he's turning into a werewolf or were cat or something? I get the artist has a style, but sometimes her faces are all Feral's face.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I've said it before but the art's not very good. Decent amount of variety regarding the metahumans and their various quirks, but it can't convey action for sour owl poop and all the characters' expressions look approximately identical. Terrible at showing emotion.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

Terrible at showing emotion.

I think part of this is that self-righteous indignation and smug condescension comprise 90% of the emotions expressed in this comic to begin with.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Parahexavoctal posted:

Their first date was reasonably okay, yes?

No, not so much, not really

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Not even the comments are into it anymore. How do you gently caress up so bad that your comments section is just full of people going "Okay, we get the point. This is just getting silly though"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Is it me or has who ever is drawing the comic suddenly decided to vaguely make everyone look like a racist Chinese character. Like seriously. I am more concerned that Allison's eyes seem to be tilting toward being vertical slots.

Compare that with the first few pages and the art has seriously taken a dive.

• Locked thread