Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Thermopyle posted:

Embrace search and discard the antiquated idea of app drawers.
Launch all your windows applications from powershell gently caress icons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Syrinxx posted:

Launch all your windows applications from powershell gently caress icons

Not sure why you would use powershell when you could just use the handy search function embedded right into the Start menu...

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

How many apps do you guys have that the management of them is this big issue?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I just want to do away with the app drawer entirely and just always show all apps on the home screen, iphone style.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

RZA Encryption posted:

I just want to do away with the app drawer entirely and just always show all apps on the home screen, iphone style.

you can already do this if you want even tho it is garbage

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

RZA Encryption posted:

Gross

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Scaramouche posted:

How many apps do you guys have that the management of them is this big issue?

When I restored my apps the other day on my new N6P, I think the count was 112? A quarter of those are probably Google apps though.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
My mom's is having an annoying issue with her Galaxy S5 (AT&T)

Preface:
* I tried booting it in safe mode
* We did a factory reset
* Went to the AT&T store and they gave us a new SIM card (idk why they thought that would help)

During phone calls, the caller cannot hear me until 30 seconds into the call. Happens every time like clockwork. It doesn't seem to be a problem with the microphone because I've tried recording a voice memo and it picks my voice up fine. Anyone else have this problem?

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
There's already an apk out there for the new Nexus launcher if you want to check it out.. it breaks swipe left for Google Now and changing wallpaper (it crashes) unless you flash the zip from TWRP but otherwise the APK works just fine.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

There's already an apk out there for the new Nexus launcher if you want to check it out.. it breaks swipe left for Google Now and changing wallpaper (it crashes) unless you flash the zip from TWRP but otherwise the APK works just fine.

Cool, I was hoping I could make my phone more buggy in exchange for being one of the first people to try something.

Thanks!

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Shut up stupid it's fun to play with stuff

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Luchadork posted:

Honestly the only feature I really want in the Google Launcher anyhow is the ability to make folders within the app drawer. Just give us that, Google.
I haven't used the stock launcher in so long I forgot that was a thing. Lol.

I don't have an app drawer icon either. Just a swipe up shortcut to it.

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

The Note 7 looks really cool. Coming from iOS is have a few questions regarding music as that's my phone's main use.
1) Are there any drawbacks to playing music from the SD card? Read-based delays vs onboard memory, difficulty in the transfer process or in music app identification of songs, etc. I currently have a 128GB iPhone and everything in the music app is basically instantaneous, but I've never actually seen the screen of someone playing music off an android phone's card reader to know if there are delays there.
2) Is there a good music app that gives "recently added" category showing the last 10 or so albums you transferred to the phone/card?
3) What's a good app to browse / play the music you have on your phone? Can someone link a video showing the interface of one?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

I recently moved, and the trusted location isn't working as well as it used to. I have my home address set, as well as creating a location using wherever my phone thought I was while sitting in my house. Any ideas on how to get it to work more reliably?

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

gently caress, the Note 7 does look good. I'm definitely getting one through work.

Pertplus posted:

1) Are there any drawbacks to playing music from the SD card?
2) Is there a good music app that gives "recently added" category showing the last 10 or so albums you transferred to the phone/card?

1) I did this on my S7 and had no issues whatsoever, I cached my Google Play Music to the SD card
2) Google Play Music does show recently added to library, not sure if that meets your requirement?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Any Nexus 5X users have a windshield phone mount they would recommend?

I just upgraded from a nexus 5 to 5x. I had been using this mount which worked great on the 5 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JRGOKQ8
But with the 5X the grip squeezes the volume button.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Maybe it's just me, but I feel I'd rather have the S7 Edge over the Note 7.

The battery is slightly smaller and the screen is bigger on the Note 7, and I'm not sure if the stylus and iris scanner is worth the $100+ price difference.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The S7 is too small for my giant hands, phablet size is awesome for me.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

peepsalot posted:

I just upgraded from a nexus 5 to 5x. I had been using this mount which worked great on the 5 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JRGOKQ8

None of these appear to be window mounts, but maybe the suggested brands could lead in you a helpful direction?

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-smartphone-car-mount/

As a side note, I switched from window grip mount to Wirecutter's suggested magnetic mount a while back and I love it. I can't believe how nice it is to have a magnetic mount, as silly as that sounds.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

peepsalot posted:

I've had this mount for years. It's ugly, but it's cheap and works with the 5X.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ELOOZO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The only downside I've had with the mount: you can move the legs to the other side of the mount and use it upside down if it interferes with the buttons (I had to do this for my 2014 Moto X). This puts the slots upside down and the weight and vibration can cause it to slide off and fall. I've glued the mount to the arm and that worked for a while, but I used the wrong glue and it eventually came loose again. With the 5X, I use it right side up and don't have that problem.

If you want high end, RAM Mounts are the most common ones that I hear about.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

peepsalot posted:

I got this mount last month and have been pretty happy with it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01780KZMW

It uses a magnet that you slip inside your case, and then you can just stick your phone to it. It's nice and convenient, though bumpy rides can cause it to get crooked.

If you don't have a case for your phone, they make one that comes with holder with a magnet on it that you can put your phone in: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K04C216/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Looks like the new Nexus will support expanding the notification shade by just swiping on the fingerprint sensor.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/08/02/exclusive-swipe-fingerprint-scanner-to-open-notification-shade-gesture-coming-on-new-nexuses/

I also looks like we may get a non-boring color!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I'm staying with my Nexus 6P, but god drat that blue Note 7. I wish more phones would come in blue than lovely gold.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

OhFunny posted:

I'm staying with my Nexus 6P, but god drat that blue Note 7. I wish more phones would come in blue than lovely gold.

See my post...

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

bull3964 posted:

See my post...

uguhghhg.

My Nexus 6P is performing great since I got it on launch day. No problems, nada, but-t-t electric blue!

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
gently caress electric blue, where's my hot rod red Nexus?

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Whizbang posted:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Whizbang posted:

Gimme a Pandafone 2.0.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Why doesn't this have a red speaker grille? The actual red Nexus looked like this:

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

LastInLine posted:

Why doesn't this have a red speaker grille? The actual red Nexus looked like this:

Because that's a picture of a black n5 inside a red Google case.

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

gently caress, the Note 7 does look good. I'm definitely getting one through work.

1) I did this on my S7 and had no issues whatsoever, I cached my Google Play Music to the SD card
2) Google Play Music does show recently added to library, not sure if that meets your requirement?

Thanks. Yeah, that's all I meant so Google Play works.

Can anyone else chime in to confirm there's no lag when browsing / playing a large music library from an sd card on a modern phone?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Pertplus posted:

Thanks. Yeah, that's all I meant so Google Play works.

Can anyone else chime in to confirm there's no lag when browsing / playing a large music library from an sd card on a modern phone?

If there's any lag, it isn't from the sd card, it's from Android being laggy on bad phones.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

How dare you guys suggest toothpaste blue is boring!

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

Embrace search and discard the antiquated idea of app drawers.

:agreed:

I unironically like the Nokia Z Launcher:
https://zippy.gfycat.com/SimpleDenseFieldspaniel.webm

I'm not saying that everyone should use it, though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If you use list mode in Nova you can scroll on the right of the screen with letters like in contacts and things like that, I find it incredibly useful. Just pop straight down to the letter I want.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

bull3964 posted:

Looks like the new Nexus will support expanding the notification shade by just swiping on the fingerprint sensor.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/08/02/exclusive-swipe-fingerprint-scanner-to-open-notification-shade-gesture-coming-on-new-nexuses/

I also looks like we may get a non-boring color!

The other interesting thing here is that it seems to confirm AP's render of the new Nexuses, including the G logo on the back.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

MikeJF posted:

If you use list mode in Nova you can scroll on the right of the screen with letters like in contacts and things like that, I find it incredibly useful. Just pop straight down to the letter I want.

The stock now launcher does that too

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

incogneato posted:

As a side note, I switched from window grip mount to Wirecutter's suggested magnetic mount a while back and I love it. I can't believe how nice it is to have a magnetic mount, as silly as that sounds.

I had to a magnetic mount with my Nexus 4. I had to abuse the phone's back a bit to get the player in (I've never used a case and don't intend to start!), but it was great. When I ditch my 2014 Moto X, I look forward to trying to cram a metal plate into the next Nexus phone. Maybe I'll be able to sand it down enough that it won't cause the clips to stress crack.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
I like that the August security patch level is dated "5 August 2016" and being pushed out already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My 5x battery is already turning to crap after less than a year. It's like a used Galaxy Nexus.