Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Holy poo poo, Alphinaud finally stopped dressing like a stripper, I've been waiting for this day. Thank you Tataru.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

No? It really doesn't have much to do with you having done the MSQ first? And even if it was, that's a really bad reason for making new players level 2 classes because they want to play one of them. Which is also why I hate cross class in all its forms, but that's another issue.

It does, the job quests are predicated on MSQ side-quest-like stuff. For the reason that makes the DRK class quests awesome.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yup. Chocobos are weird bad old spaghetti code that have been filed away as "more trouble than they're worth to gently caress with".

Both for the devs and the players, for that matter!

It sucks because while it's something that needs to be fixed there are some things that are ultimately not actually worth the manpower to fix or isolate and replace.

hobbesmaster posted:

Whatever dark magic they performed to get this to run on the PS3 is probably legitimately holding them back on a lot of stuff that involves the client.

Probably not as much as the unholy monstrosity that is the 1.0 codebase this is built upon since it's the source of a lot of issues (like the Chocobo ones, iirc). Hopefully they discontinue PS3 support in 4.0 but there's probably far too many PS3-only users for them to consider it still.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

No? It really doesn't have much to do with you having done the MSQ first? And even if it was, that's a really bad reason for making new players level 2 classes because they want to play one of them. Which is also why I hate cross class in all its forms, but that's another issue.

The DRK storyline absolutely cannot happen without the events of the main scenario up to Ishgard having happened first. You couldn't even do it by changing the occasional line like how Estinien calls you the Azure Dragoon if you're done DRG to 50 but doesn't if you haven't, the very premise of the story wouldn't work without it.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 2, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Davoren posted:

Holy poo poo, Alphinaud finally stopped dressing like a stripper, I've been waiting for this day. Thank you Tataru.

Yeah after all the lampshading about their loving clothes in ARR it was nice to see the lampshade just taken off

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Also I'm now reminded that I need to go back to the DRK quest journal and re-read the text and watch the cutscenes one of these days

I know the DRK journal text is, uh, enlightening, but I didn't realize that until the end so I kinda wanna review it all in context

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
The biggest benefit of having jobs exist from the start is that you wouldn't have to cross-class just to unlock them. But on that same note, I feel like the current cross-class abilities system is bad and should be replaced with the ability to slot in a subjob.

Like, if I really enjoy playing as a Paladin, but also kind of like playing as a Ninja, I should be able to carry some of my experience with one over to the other. I'm not asking to be a perfect hybrid of both, obviously, but getting short list of Ninja's abilities (Shade Shift, the Kiss skills, Goad) would be really nice. It'd also add some variety to the kinds of builds people could run, instead of rooting them squarely in their intended role. Maybe throw a subjob-dependent stat boost in, so that slotting in jobs between DoW and DoM isn't worthless. With a bit of careful planning, you could still ensure that each job has a particular niche they excel in, especially since their traits would make them naturally better at the thing they're supposed to do than any other job using their short list would be.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i am sorry but that i think that idea is very bad.

don't get me wrong, i wish there was SOME way to diversify your builds so i'm not literally the same as every warrior on the server (esp since the vit/str changes), but i don't think that's it.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

CeallaSo posted:

The biggest benefit of having jobs exist from the start is that you wouldn't have to cross-class just to unlock them. But on that same note, I feel like the current cross-class abilities system is bad and should be replaced with the ability to slot in a subjob.

Like, if I really enjoy playing as a Paladin, but also kind of like playing as a Ninja, I should be able to carry some of my experience with one over to the other. I'm not asking to be a perfect hybrid of both, obviously, but getting short list of Ninja's abilities (Shade Shift, the Kiss skills, Goad) would be really nice. It'd also add some variety to the kinds of builds people could run, instead of rooting them squarely in their intended role. Maybe throw a subjob-dependent stat boost in, so that slotting in jobs between DoW and DoM isn't worthless. With a bit of careful planning, you could still ensure that each job has a particular niche they excel in, especially since their traits would make them naturally better at the thing they're supposed to do than any other job using their short list would be.

It's a little too late to make this work like ff11 or one of the older traditional titles like ff5. That ship has sailed, pretty much. Subjobs are a neat way to differentiate characters but you're left with a nightmare of balance and/or the illusion of choice.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
You know if they did anything like that there would be an optimal subjob to pick and anyone who picks the wrong one will be 20% less effective than the people who picked the right one.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
mmos with more resources on hand than ffxiv have attempted to tackle branching builds/specs, and they have always failed. one build emerges as obviously superior, and then the system ends up existing only as a way to gently caress over new players that don't exhaustively research their skill tree decisions before putting a single minute into the game. it just doesn't work

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

DolphinCop posted:

mmos with more resources on hand than ffxiv have attempted to tackle branching builds/specs, and they have always failed. one build emerges as obviously superior, and then the system ends up existing only as a way to gently caress over new players that don't exhaustively research their skill tree decisions before putting a single minute into the game. it just doesn't work

Can I empty quote this? It never works. It has never worked. It never will work.

It's better to have Jobs that have a thing that they do well with no real choice and freedom to switch between any Job than a million false choices.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
Is it not possible to have both? I mean really, what I'm suggesting is barely any different than what we have now, except that rather than picking 5 skills individually, you get a package of skills.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah after all the lampshading about their loving clothes in ARR it was nice to see the lampshade just taken off

My favourite was during the MSQ in Coerthas in the leadup to Garuda where Alphinaud is standing around in Whitebrim complaining about not being dressed for the weather.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Can I empty quote this? It never works. It has never worked. It never will work.

It's better to have Jobs that have a thing that they do well with no real choice and freedom to switch between any Job than a million false choices.
:same:

CeallaSo posted:

Is it not possible to have both? I mean really, what I'm suggesting is barely any different than what we have now, except that rather than picking 5 skills individually, you get a package of skills.

You mean, exactly the thing arcanist split does? Getting more than one "spec" out of a single class by giving 2 different skill packages?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

CeallaSo posted:

All evidence suggests that yes it is impossible. WoW has tried for nearly 15 years. Talent trees STILL have the exact same "there is one correct build either overall or on a per fight basis and you are expected to use it" problem. The choice, it is an illusion.

Summoner/Scholar was a train wreck of balance for almost all of ARR and that's as close as we come to that kind of thing. Hell it's still kind of a problem insofar as Scholar is basically mandatory in any content that matters and always has been.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

It's one of those things that sounds either easy or good on paper, and it's really neither.

A big part of the problem is that when you're talking about multiplayer balance, social pressures can make even fairly harmless decisions painful (you're 5% beneath optimal? AWAY WITH YOU FILTHY TRASH), and when you're talking about actual difficult or extremely difficult content, those choices matter even more if the fight was tuned to the bleeding edge.

I'd legitimately be more excited by an mmo offering alternate animations and effects for existing skillsets than adding varying functionality these days :xd:

(not least because my patience for min/maxing has waned over the years to the point where I just consider it impediment to my enjoyment of whatever content I'm trying to experience - I don't want to read more badly written wiki guides on gearing up)

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Truga posted:

You mean, exactly the thing arcanist split does? Getting more than one "spec" out of a single class by giving 2 different skill packages?

Not really, no. The arcanist-to-scholar split changes the inherent role of the class, turning it from a DPS to a Healer. It also basically forces you to choose whether you want to use Summoner or Scholar, since excelling in one cuts into your effectiveness in the other. In this case, the job itself would still fulfill the same function, and do so with the same proficiency; however, it would also be able to do something extra, depending on what your current subjob is.

Again, this is basically what the cross-class abilities do now. A scholar with Swiftcast, Cleric Stance, Blizzard 2, Stoneskin and Protect is still a scholar, but also it has other things it can do. The tradeoff would be gaining access to a wider array of abilities from whatever job you wanted, but at the cost of only being able to take them from one at a time. So that same scholar can choose to sub either black mage (getting Fire, Ice, Surecast, Sleep, Swiftcast, Manaward) or white mage (getting Cure, Aero, Cleric Stance, Protect, Repose, Stoneskin). Or they could sub in ninja (getting Shade Shift, Kiss of the Wasp, Mutilate, Goad, Hide, Kiss of the Viper) instead. Each of those comes with its own strengths and shortcomings, but none of them is necessarily a bad choice. Players might decide among themselves that one sub is definitely the best one for supporting what that primary does ("SCH sub BLM for Swiftcast, absolute must") but that doesn't invalidate other choices or even mean they're right?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

All evidence suggests that yes it is impossible. WoW has tried for nearly 15 years. Talent trees STILL have the exact same "there is one correct build either overall or on a per fight basis and you are expected to use it" problem. The choice, it is an illusion.

There is literally only two cases where it works and people like one or the other, not both:

Case 1: The choice is an illusion and it is blatantly an illusion, difficulty is tuned to where there is an acceptable variance in choices, playerbase ostracizes everything that isn't the best (or complains over what is the best.)

Case 2: The choice is real and full of opportunities, difficulty is tuned to the lowest common denominator, the playerbase complains that everything is too easy because it is because it has to be.

There's no way to both balance a bunch of choices and to have a suitably high difficulty in an MMO environment.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

CeallaSo posted:

Not really, no. The arcanist-to-scholar split changes the inherent role of the class, turning it from a DPS to a Healer. It also basically forces you to choose whether you want to use Summoner or Scholar, since excelling in one cuts into your effectiveness in the other. In this case, the job itself would still fulfill the same function, and do so with the same proficiency; however, it would also be able to do something extra, depending on what your current subjob is.

Again, this is basically what the cross-class abilities do now. A scholar with Swiftcast, Cleric Stance, Blizzard 2, Stoneskin and Protect is still a scholar, but also it has other things it can do. The tradeoff would be gaining access to a wider array of abilities from whatever job you wanted, but at the cost of only being able to take them from one at a time. So that same scholar can choose to sub either black mage (getting Fire, Ice, Surecast, Sleep, Swiftcast, Manaward) or white mage (getting Cure, Aero, Cleric Stance, Protect, Repose, Stoneskin). Or they could sub in ninja (getting Shade Shift, Kiss of the Wasp, Mutilate, Goad, Hide, Kiss of the Viper) instead. Each of those comes with its own strengths and shortcomings, but none of them is necessarily a bad choice. Players might decide among themselves that one sub is definitely the best one for supporting what that primary does ("SCH sub BLM for Swiftcast, absolute must") but that doesn't invalidate other choices or even mean they're right?
Your example would make Scholar completely worthless as a job because it would have to choose between Cleric Stance and Swiftcast.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
If we're indulging the bad idea with further thought, its a little dramatic to say that not having swiftcast would be the end of scholar as a job.

The cross class system is dumb and pretty janky but at least it functions, though.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Specs might be an illusory choice, but sometimes the illusion feels good. And having no choices at all is boring.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I really want FFXIV to make it work, but it has to start with each job completely capable of doing their job in and of itself without any external skills. That'd mean each tank would need their own taunt, each caster would need their own Swiftcast, each DPS would need their own Raging Strikes.

And then any crossclass would be a bolt-on package afterwards.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty
Give me frivolous choices that do little and make less sense.

WAR Spec: Golfer - Hold your axe the other direction and automatically do /lookout after every Fell Cleave.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Cross-classing does give some illusion of choice, but there are definitely skills that are far more optimal than others, as noted above.

Sometimes it does feel like after you've slotted in the really good stuff it's like, "uhhhhh... Feint, I guess?"

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Leofish posted:

Cross-classing does give some illusion of choice, but there are definitely skills that are far more optimal than others, as noted above.

Sometimes it does feel like after you've slotted in the really good stuff it's like, "uhhhhh... Feint, I guess?"

Black Mage has Raging Strikes, Quelling Strikes, and then the other three are just whatever. I have Prospect and Truth of Mountains.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Potato Jones posted:

Give me frivolous choices that do little and make less sense.

WAR Spec: Golfer - Hold your axe the other direction and automatically do /lookout after every Fell Cleave.

when you reach level 50 dragoon, you are immediately required to pick a color for your chaos thrust particle effect between blue, red, and green. this choice can never be modified, so choose wisely!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

DolphinCop posted:

when you reach level 50 dragoon, you are immediately required to pick a color for your chaos thrust particle effect between blue, red, and green. this choice can never be modified, so choose wisely!

SCHs have to decide on a permanent glamour effect for Eos and Selene.

(I'm surprised they haven't let us play pretty dress-up on our summons and turrets yet.)

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Zero The Hero posted:

Caveat: I'd start the beastmen quests. They're not as rewarding as the others, but they're daily quests, so you may as well get started now. One of them is for crafting, too, so you should probably put at least that much effort into crafting. Unless you just want to skip the beastmen quests altogether - all you really miss out on is a few minions and mounts and some easy level 4 materia.

Oh yeah, I completely neglected those, so I forgot. The beast tribes are something to do if you're super bored. I'd put the rest of that stuff first though.

victrix posted:

I'd legitimately be more excited by an mmo offering alternate animations

This is something I'd like though. The little flip and Naruto run is part of why I started with Thief/Ninja.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Your example would make Scholar completely worthless as a job because it would have to choose between Cleric Stance and Swiftcast.

Not quite. The problem with his example isn't that Scholar would become worthless but rather that all of the non-Cleric Stance choices would quickly be determined to be suboptimal and worthless. Illusion of choice rides once more.

Seriously folks just stop pining for what cannot be. It does not work. It will never work.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Not quite. The problem with his example isn't that Scholar would become worthless but rather that all of the non-Cleric Stance choices would quickly be determined to be suboptimal and worthless. Illusion of choice rides once more.

Seriously folks just stop pining for what cannot be. It does not work. It will never work.

It works in a single player environment. The problem is that the effort scales exponentially with however many players you add (because not only do you have to account for skill choice, but also the synergies of those choices :v:)

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Hamsterlady posted:

You know if they did anything like that there would be an optimal subjob to pick and anyone who picks the wrong one will be 20% less effective than the people who picked the right one.

The people who would tend to be already.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

EponymousMrYar posted:

It works in a single player environment. The problem is that the effort scales exponentially with however many players you add (because not only do you have to account for skill choice, but also the synergies of those choices :v:)

Single player environments

Like Emerald Dragon? Where the LP updates at MrYar :colbert:

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
If a concept is worthwhile enough to be a talent tree, then it is worthwhile enough to just be a full class instead, receiving the proper support it needs to excel in whatever its chosen methodology is.

I could totally get behind cosmetic talent trees though, that would be rad. It would let you have that spark of individuality while not hurting anything, no matter what combination you chose.

Well, I guess you could pick a combination so atrocious or obnoxious to watch in action that it offends everyone you group with. But that's its own kind of rewarding I suppose.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Obligatum VII posted:

If a concept is worthwhile enough to be a talent tree, then it is worthwhile enough to just be a full class instead, receiving the proper support it needs to excel in whatever its chosen methodology is.

I could totally get behind cosmetic talent trees though, that would be rad. It would let you have that spark of individuality while not hurting anything, no matter what combination you chose.

Well, I guess you could pick a combination so atrocious or obnoxious to watch in action that it offends everyone you group with. But that's its own kind of rewarding I suppose.
I could get behind speccing my WHM's particle effects as either naturey viney or full Sailor Moon.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
is there a good guide on setting up ACT and the rainbowmage overlay? I would love an ingame parser but I'm fuckin' clueless and what I can find is a year+ out of date

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Unlike most other MMOs, Final Fantasy XIV lets you freely and relatively easily change class. This lets you play a variety of different playstyles and mechanics when you feel like it. If you want to try a different healer build stop playing the current healer and switch to a different one. Trying to implement a class customisation mechanic into a system that does not limit or tie you to a single class seems less wise of an investment than just creating new classes and play styles. What the cross class skills do more than allow for customisation is encourage players to try out different classes and to try their different experiences, which is why all the jobs from ARR require you to play through the starting levels of another class to unlock. You get many of the crass class skills (not necessarily the most desired or useful ones however) in those first 15 levels as well.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Ignoring this awful derail does a kind goon have a pic of mistbeard so i can glamor like him?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Single player environments

Like Emerald Dragon? Where the LP updates at MrYar :colbert:

LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFE and job hunt. I have a bit more of the game to finish recording then I just have to find time to write up all the updates.

Obligatum VII posted:

Cosmetic customization/upgrades usually fall into the problem of the 'high effort, little reward' conundrum. They're still pretty cool though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ever since 3.35, my client has been crashing whenever I'm in a crowded area. Has anyone else experienced similar problems?

• Locked thread