Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
My guess, based on nothing, is $249, and I wouldn't rule out $299, but yeah, I very much doubt they'd go over that.

Adjusted for inflation, a $249 NX would be the cheapest at-launch Nintendo console. The $199 Gamecube would be $271 in 2016 dollars and the $199-at-launch N64 would be $306 today.

The $249 Wii would be $298 and the $349 Wii U $366, just for completion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
My early adoption is gonna totally depend on the launch lineup. Like, I can already just get Zelda for my Wii U. Unless Monster Hunter 5 is a launch title, or something else that's important to me like that, I'll end up waiting. I just bought the Wii U like earlier this year, after all.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I would expect backwards compatibility only in the sense that Nintendo can probably really really easily recompile most 1st-party Wii U titles to run on NX natively.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Real hurthling! posted:

Df showed dolphin running great on the nvidia shield

No, it showed dolphin running kind of okay. Nintendo wouldn't release games that ran that poorly unless they were N64 games running on an actual N64.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
also Nintendo would be developing the OS, and would have way more access to the hardware than an emulator running on something with as much overhead as goddamn Android TV.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
And again be able to make a much better and efficient emulator than Dolphin by virtue of having actually designed the GameCube and these games.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Honestly, "a much better and more efficient" emulator than Dolphin is a pretty tall order - it's frankly a marvel of reverse-engineering and optimization.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

$249 is what I predict as the price and I think that's the sweet spot if they really want to entice new buyers.

Breath of the Wild and Pikmin 4 are two titles I'd assume it will launch with, with several others probably being Wii U re-releases. Splatoon would be a fantastic title to port at launch.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

DoctorWhat posted:

Honestly, "a much better and more efficient" emulator than Dolphin is a pretty tall order - it's frankly a marvel of reverse-engineering and optimization.

Well that's the thing, that don't have to reverse engineer

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

greatn posted:

Well that's the thing, that don't have to reverse engineer

There's a lot of love and next-level genius in Dolphin, from what little I know about it, that I doubt even Nintendo will be able to match with spec sheets and insider knowledge.

Also RIP Rachel :(

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Boten Anna posted:

Hmm?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Rachael Byrk, one of the developers of Dolphin passed away last year.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Ah. I keep learning of celebrity deaths through SA posts, so I wasn't sure who to expect. Also,

https://archive.org/details/nintendopower

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Boten Anna posted:

There's a lot of love and next-level genius in Dolphin, from what little I know about it, that I doubt even Nintendo will be able to match with spec sheets and insider knowledge.

Yeah it's the talent and passion that makes Dolphin work so well, really. They're commited to stamping out game-specific hacks and poo poo.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Ah. I keep learning of celebrity deaths through SA posts, so I wasn't sure who to expect. Also,

https://archive.org/details/nintendopower

Bah gawd

There's also 90s PC Gamer in there

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Boten Anna posted:

That's not how software development works...

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Dexo posted:

That's not how software development works...

I'm a professional software developer dude. You can't buy the kind of team that does Dolphin. Nintendo probably has some really great developers but official emulators can't get away with some of the stuff fan projects can do and has to make them with 9-to-5er labor which might be really great but might also be some people resenting they're not on a gamedev team hitting it with hammers to hit the minimum spec and going "welp," on stuff that's too hard (like, say, link cable support.)

I also don't think Nintendo would have over 200 people working on their own emulator, either https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/graphs/contributors

There's a lot going against Nintendo building a new emulator from scratch in less than two years (or more) that could even hold a candle to Dolphin, and this is because the Dolphin team has attracted amazing talent that is very passionate about it, it's been going for years, and does not have nearly the constraints an official Nintendo one would have (such as actually being able to run on the NX and not requiring a recent-model i7 and a good GPU) and that IS how software development works.

It's more likely that the "insider knowledge" being leveraged will be that they keep all the source code for all their poo poo and they port/recompile it to work on the new platform, maybe include some additional content and/or upgrade the assets to 1080 and charge $40 it and call it a remaster instead of making an emulator for Wii or Wii U, and probably gamecube as well.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
So since we don't have a Wii U thread anymore, what thread should I use for discussing my current runthrough of Twilight Princess HD?

I had never played Twilight Princess before. I've been playing it off and on and finished Arbiter's Grounds last night.

This game might be the least enjoyable non-NES Zelda I've ever played (Phantom Hourglass is a contender). Nevertheless, whenever I'm about to go "I've had it," it draws me back in. The Arbiter's Ground boss was fantastic.

Honestly, I had a similar problem about half a year ago when I played Wind Waker HD without previously playing Wind Waker, of going "when is this game supposed to get good again?" Wind Waker HD has 10 times the charm and looks gorgeous, but the actual game felt like it never really got started. Twilight Princess HD lacks the visual charm of Wind Waker and instead relies on, IMO, increasing dungeon difficulty and complexity to artificially extend playtime. The dungeons in Twilight Princess are, to me, the hardest Zelda dungeons outside of maybe Majora's Mask.

Honestly, my experiences with both WW and TP have reinforced to me that I just do prefer 2D Zeldas to 3D Zeldas. Minish Cap is my favorite Zelda game, rivaled by Link Between Worlds, and I probably should give up on the idea of having an experience with a 3D Zelda game that rivals those games for my enjoyment.

Desperately tying this back to the NX, I do hope that fusing the handheld and console lines means that the kind of Zelda games we got on handhelds, the 2D top down ones, don't go by the wayside. I like those games infinitely more than the 3D Zelda games and I'd hate if merging the two lines means that one replaces the other.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i think there might still be a zelda thread but idk

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Boten Anna posted:

I'm a professional software developer dude. You can't buy the kind of team that does Dolphin. Nintendo probably has some really great developers but official emulators can't get away with some of the stuff fan projects can do and has to make them with 9-to-5er labor which might be really great but might also be some people resenting they're not on a gamedev team hitting it with hammers to hit the minimum spec and going "welp," on stuff that's too hard (like, say, link cable support.)

I also don't think Nintendo would have over 200 people working on their own emulator, either https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/graphs/contributors

There's a lot going against Nintendo building a new emulator from scratch in less than two years (or more) that could even hold a candle to Dolphin, and this is because the Dolphin team has attracted amazing talent that is very passionate about it, it's been going for years, and does not have nearly the constraints an official Nintendo one would have (such as actually being able to run on the NX and not requiring a recent-model i7 and a good GPU) and that IS how software development works.

It's more likely that the "insider knowledge" being leveraged will be that they keep all the source code for all their poo poo and they port/recompile it to work on the new platform, maybe include some additional content and/or upgrade the assets to 1080 and charge $40 it and call it a remaster instead of making an emulator for Wii or Wii U, and probably gamecube as well.

So am I dude...

I never stated Dolphin didn't have a great team and contributors behind it. You'd have to be in order to emulate another OS and platform without any of the built in advantage of having the original documentation and source code

quote:

Once again I dunno if Nintendo wants to do it or not, that is immaterial, Obviously if they don't want to put in the money or time to do it then sure yeah Dolphin would be better, Nintendo doesn't have to use the hacks and workarounds that the Dolphin team had to come up with and guess on. Not having to run on the I7/970 means it's more efficient and better designed though. Like the gaming machine required to run a Wii U software is order of magnitudes higher than what would be necessary if you have direct access to the hardware.

Business Decisions != inability to match.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Presumably, most of the hardest games to emulate on the Gamecube (things requiring exotic peripherals like Donkey Konga or Four Swords Adventures, or things like Factor 5 games that push the system to its limits and beyond) would simply not be titles that Nintendo chooses to make VC releases of for the NX. If the NX has a Gamecube Virtual Console, it'll end up with 15-20 titles by the end of the NX's lifespan like a lot of Nintendo VCs do, not try to play every game on the system. That gives it a lot more flexibility to focus on only emulating the games that actually work.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Also they probably wouldn't put games on the VC that would likely get caught up in a licensing snafu, like F-Zero GX, probably.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles
What if it turns out the NX is just a 3DS with a HDMI out?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

greententacle posted:

then nintendo will have printed some money

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

In terms of pricepoint, Nintendo knows the 3DS and Wii U launch prices were not good so I have to imagine an NX will probably be priced closer to the pricing for those systems that they moved to later on. They keep basically saying this without explicitly saying it. So maybe they're going to sell the system and the TV dock separately to keep the pricing down? And then also a bundle that includes them both?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Wasn't there some kind of leak regarding two different NX SKUs forever ago?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kelp Plankton posted:

In terms of pricepoint, Nintendo knows the 3DS and Wii U launch prices were not good so I have to imagine an NX will probably be priced closer to the pricing for those systems that they moved to later on. They keep basically saying this without explicitly saying it. So maybe they're going to sell the system and the TV dock separately to keep the pricing down? And then also a bundle that includes them both?

Packaging things separately seems risky to me; they want this stuff to be bought by parents and grandparents for kids as well as by gamer nerds and whatnot. Advertising the system as doing a thing (in this case being both a handheld and playable on TV) and then making one of those things require a separate purchase seems like a good way to confuse some people and make them unhappy.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

greententacle posted:

At that resolution they'd probably be better off using...what was the name of the thing with the two screws on the back of the TV?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

TheScott2K posted:

At that resolution they'd probably be better off using...what was the name of the thing with the two screws on the back of the TV?

RF Adapters?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

TheScott2K posted:

Wow, there's a thing that I haven't heard mentioned or thought about in ages which both really takes me back and makes me feel old. I still have a perfectly functional Atari 7800 that uses that type of connection, but I no longer have a television to which to hook it up.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
It should still work with ANT in assuming TVs still have analog tuners. Might need an adapter if it's actually the two sets of prongs rather than coax, but RF is RF.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Wasn't there some kind of leak regarding two different NX SKUs forever ago?

Yeah, and said leak the first to release would be the handheld device. It's looking like this is true, save for the fact the nx IS going to be a handheld primarily.

Going to the cost thing, Nintendo does weird (and annoying) poo poo to keep the price down like when they didn't include the power supply to the 3DS XL/N3DS, so I'd be shocked if the TV docking station is included.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i thought that was because of e waste laws in some regions

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
In SOME regions. In other regions is because they're stingy as gently caress.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Aren't those charge cables super loving cheap tho and literally obtainable damned near everywhere

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Feels a bit like people bitching that their printer doesn't include a USB cable. It's 2016, most people buying a printer already have a loving USB cable, and some want different lengths, and they're sold everywhere that sells printers. loving deal.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
3ds has a proprietary cable that isn't sold everywhere.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Trent posted:

Feels a bit like people bitching that their printer doesn't include a USB cable. It's 2016, most people buying a printer already have a loving USB cable, and some want different lengths, and they're sold everywhere that sells printers. loving deal.

People who want printers deserve what they get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

greententacle posted:

If the hardware was a bit more powerful and could push graphics comparable to the Wii U that would be really good. Hello Pokemon on the big screen! Hello Fire Bembles on the big screen! Hello Professor Layton on the big screen!

• Locked thread