Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

GameCube posted:

ugh sourcetree got even worse with the latest update somehow. did you terrible fuckin programmers ever come to a consensus re: what's the best gui git client??

tig

used in conjunction with bash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

GameCube posted:

back to the command line for me. all I use sourcetree for is quickly visualizing some stuff and I think tortoise is fine for that too. oh well

I use GitUp with some success, it's Mac only tho

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

the pile of garbage that is our outsourced tablet app has now become an active dumpster fire that is threatening the credibility of our entire system and department

e: we got all hands onn deck trying to debug an app without the source code lol

HoboMan fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 2, 2016

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

HoboMan posted:

the pile of garbage that is our outsourced tablet app has now become an active dumpster fire that is threatening the credibility of our entire system and department

lol :rip:

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
day 2 into holiday and already got a text from a guy at work wanting to know where location of logs is

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

HoboMan posted:

ahahahah get out

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
of your terrible job

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Valeyard posted:

day 2 into holiday and already got a text from a guy at work wanting to know where location of logs is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fQGPZTECYs

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

tef posted:

ahahahah get out

tef posted:

of your terrible job

do it now lol

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I love it when management thinks "oh boy we will save so much money if we just outsource this mobile app to Kazakhstan I will surely get a promotion after saving all this money lololol"

And then when it's a giant pos they foist it off on the in-house devs "why can't you make this work idiot, now your whole department will look bad, stupid devs"

If that's what your company does to you, gtfo

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i, personally, ain't doing poo poo about this because lomarf

there's not even error logs for the tablet app hahha

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Finster Dexter posted:

I love it when management thinks "oh boy we will save so much money if we just outsource this mobile app to Kazakhstan I will surely get a promotion after saving all this money lololol"

And then when it's a giant pos they foist it off on the in-house devs "why can't you make this work idiot, now your whole department will look bad, stupid devs"

If that's what your company does to you, gtfo

the trick is to get promoted before its launched

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

fart simpson posted:

implicitly converting stuff is terrible and never should have caught on

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

fart simpson posted:

implicitly converting stuff to booleans is terrible and never should have caught on

yep

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

"logs? have you tried the toilets"

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

fleshweasel posted:

truthiness is bound to be faster than converting and checking all the time.

Could you expand on this? It's not really clear why that's the case to me--I would have thought that if (some_list) gets converted to if (! some_list.empty()) or whatever behind the scenes, and they would be exactly the same speed.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

the more i work on it the more i hate java

its good and gets my bills paid but it just feels like programming inside a giant plastic bubble filled with tinier bubbles

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

i fricked it

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Share Bear posted:

its good and gets my bills paid but it just feels like programming inside a giant plastic bubble filled with tinier bubbles
object oriented programming was probably a very mistaken detour

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Share Bear posted:

the alternative is everything blowing up with little explanation all the time sooook

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

GameCube posted:

are you using speech recognition for you're posts :pwn:

not letting this drop

answer it

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

the alternative is everything blowing up with little explanation all the time sooook

this is also the appreciation of the bubble metaphor

i dont know though, the stylistic stuff still rubs me the wrong way, where people program interfaces and then interface implementations but not so much independent objects which implement the interface, depending on who you're working with, and if you're using Spring

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
java the language is alright. not fantastic, but for a lot of tasks it gets the job done pretty well.

java the standard library is a mixed bag. the very earliest stuff is awful, but soracle have done a good job of filing off the rougher edges. lol at java.util.concurrent.Future though.

java the ecosystem was rather touched in the head in the early 2000s but is considerably better in the 2010s. it is underpinned by maven which is extremely ftw even if the project files are written in xml. this is literally the least interesting thing about maven even though people obsess over it constantly (wadler's law lol)

spring is lol

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
It's all Enterprise Java's fault. I had an interview question where I needed to add a field to some web page and I think I added it to four different classes before I even got close to where the data was being retrieved from the database. Then I said, "Sorry this is taking a bit; we use our code generation tools for this part."

I didn't get an offer.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

CPColin posted:

It's all Enterprise Java's fault. I had an interview question where I needed to add a field to some web page and I think I added it to four different classes before I even got close to where the data was being retrieved from the database. Then I said, "Sorry this is taking a bit; we use our code generation tools for this part."

I didn't get an offer.

if anything ive gotten infinitely better at reading and debugging other people's code learning this in 2016

the only negative point is i have no idea what's a good starting point for a brand new project based on every design i've seen being mediocre

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Guice is pretty ftw

but it doesn't really come with any sort of web framework as such

also it's kinda hosed up in a c++ sort of way in that you can get easily high on your own farts doing all sorts of weird poo poo that doesn't actually solve any concrete problem

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Share Bear posted:

if anything ive gotten infinitely better at reading and debugging other people's code learning this in 2016

the only negative point is i have no idea what's a good starting point for a brand new project based on every design i've seen being mediocre

Yeah this all the way

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Valeyard posted:

i hope you ignored it

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i figure that making a working implementation then refactoring/abstracting as needed is best in my mind, the PL thread seems to be more high minded

we all die someday

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Share Bear posted:

http://www.dropwizard.io/1.0.0/docs/

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Share Bear posted:

i figure that making a working implementation then refactoring/abstracting as needed is best in my mind, the PL thread seems to be more high minded

we all die someday
this is a long article that basically says the same thing in a lot more words and I agree w/ it
https://mollyrocket.com/casey/stream_0019.html

a lot of people fall to the temptation of prematurely abstracting things when there is zero justifiable reason for the abstraction

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Share Bear posted:

this is also the appreciation of the bubble metaphor

i dont know though, the stylistic stuff still rubs me the wrong way, where people program interfaces and then interface implementations but not so much independent objects which implement the interface, depending on who you're working with, and if you're using Spring

yeah, theres this weird mentality in some of the java world that anything publicly visible within a class should be part of some interface "just in case you need to change the implementation". like, if i'm writing this:
Java code:
public class weightlifter{
private int weight;

//getter and setter for weight

public bool squat(int weight){
  return lowerBody(weight) && raiseBody(weight);
}

private bool lowerBody(int weight){
  //whatever
}

private bool raiseBody(int weight){}
then the java mentality is that i should first create the interface
Java code:
interface iWeightlifter{
  //getter setter for weight
  public bool squat(int weight);
}
and then have my class implement that. this makes your code more flexible somehow, but only if the following stupid assumptions are true:
a)a change in the implementation necessarily means i need a new class rather than just rewriting my existing code
b)that i could potentially have multiple valid implementations all in use

both those assumptions can be good for sufficiently generic behaviors (something like a List<T> where there are many implementations and I can select one based on the workload type of my program), but the java style tends to just do this for all classes meaning that every type of object i create also has another copy with the private fields and code deleted.

i kind of wonder if this mentality comes from undergrad cs. i know they used java in my intro courses and they had us do interfaces for everything we did, but this was mostly to teach us how to write an interface and to consider all the needs our class should address before actually writing it. if you just assume everything you learn in school is real-world applicable you can write pretty fucky code.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Elias_Maluco posted:

Elias_Maluco hosed around with this message at Aug 2, 2016 around 11:46

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

im going to feel really bad when it turns out that guy was born without fingers and Dragon® NaturallySpeaking is the only way he can post

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

yeah, theres this weird mentality in some of the java world that anything publicly visible within a class should be part of some interface "just in case you need to change the implementation".

Oh man, we had a developer who wanted to make an abstract base class and have just about everything extend it. Another developer didn't like the idea, so they came to me. I asked what was going to be in the base class and he said something like, "Nothing, yet, but this'll make it easier to add, if we ever need to add anything."

I get great joy out of finding stuff like that and filing tickets that say, "The X family of classes is one layer of abstraction too deep. We never used it. Time to rip it out!"

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

CPColin posted:

Oh man, we had a developer who wanted to make an abstract base class and have just about everything extend it. Another developer didn't like the idea, so they came to me. I asked what was going to be in the base class and he said something like, "Nothing, yet, but this'll make it easier to add, if we ever need to add anything."

I get great joy out of finding stuff like that and filing tickets that say, "The X family of classes is one layer of abstraction too deep. We never used it. Time to rip it out!"

the other thing about the iWeightlifter->weightlifter example i spelled out is that more often than not it inevitably leads to classes named weightlifter2,weightlifter3....weightlifterN with no real indication of which ones are for what situations. people then always just pick N because highest number must be the newest/best version, except oops theres subtle differences in the implementation that didnt seem important to the developer but somehow gently caress everything up for the consumer.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

i did something like that during an intro to comp sci class, which was in java of course
the professor put my paper up on the projector and used it as an example of what not to do

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Shaman Linavi posted:

i did something like that during an intro to comp sci class, which was in java of course
the professor put my paper up on the projector and used it as an example of what not to do

pretty good teach

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
remember the days when cs programs were stuck on crusty ol' pascal when the industry was clearly standardizing on java

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

having every single class implement an interface is really dumb

it's just ceremonial boilerplate

mocking for tests is not a justification because if you are mocking all of your classes for tests you are probably creating absolutely terrible tests

• Locked thread