Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Zas posted:

at this point I really feel like I saw this all coming, but the undeniable truth is I didn't. weird how hindsight fucks with you.

I have a poli sci degree and I've followed US elections since 2004 and I saw literally none of this coming. I'm not alone in this.

It's kind of awesome actually, seeing history unfold. I somehow thought every prez election until the end of time or the next realignment would be fairly close even with the shifting demographics because in a two-party system operated by rational actors (ha!) the coalitions would start trading demographics if things got too lopsided.

Maybe this is that realignment, maybe it's a hiccup

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Aug 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Antti posted:

I'm a political scientist and I've followed US elections since 2004 and I saw literally none of this coming. I'm not alone in this.

It's kind of awesome actually, seeing history unfold. I somehow thought every prez election until the end of time would be fairly close even with the shifting demographics.

I do think we're kind of jumping the gun in saying this won't still be close-ish. I don't think Clinton will come anywhere near 400 electoral votes, and I don't think she'd do better than +10 points in the popular vote. There is a floor for Republican voters, and it is much higher than what it should be.

But again, everything I've said about this election has been wrong so what the gently caress do I know.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Nice worthless degree for idiot fuckers!

I say with my English major Religious Studies miror

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Narcissistic Personality Disorder Symptoms By Steve Bressert, Ph.D.

Narcissistic Personality Disorder is a disorder that is characterized by a long-standing pattern of grandiosity (either in fantasy or actual behavior), an overwhelming need for admiration, and usually a complete lack of empathy toward others. People with this disorder often believe they are of primary importance in everybody’s life or to anyone they meet. While this pattern of behavior may be appropriate for a king in 16th Century England, it is generally considered inappropriate for most ordinary people today.

People with narcissistic personality disorder often display snobbish, disdainful, or patronizing attitudes. For example, an individual with this disorder may complain about a clumsy waiter’s “rudeness” or “stupidity” or conclude a medical evaluation with a condescending evaluation of the physician.

In laypeople terms, someone with this disorder may be described simply as a “narcissist” or as someone with “narcissism.” Both of these terms generally refer to someone with narcissistic personality disorder.

A personality disorder is an enduring pattern of inner experience and behavior that deviates from the norm of the individual’s culture. The pattern is seen in two or more of the following areas: cognition; affect; interpersonal functioning; or impulse control. The enduring pattern is inflexible and pervasive across a broad range of personal and social situations. It typically leads to significant distress or impairment in social, work or other areas of functioning. The pattern is stable and of long duration, and its onset can be traced back to early adulthood or adolescence.

Symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder

In order for a person to be diagnosed with narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) they must meet five or more of the following symptoms:

* Has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)
* Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
* Believes that he or she is “special” and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)
* Requires excessive admiration
* Has a very strong sense of entitlement, e.g., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations
* Is exploitative of others, e.g., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends
* Lacks empathy, e.g., is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others
* Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her
* Regularly shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes

I love these classifications, because they usually apply to everyone. Like most people behave/experience life like this *to some degree*. The intensity of each of these variables matters the most, and the severity with with which they affect you and the people around you. But usually people leave that bit out.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

I will never, EVER regret voting for that man for years. And he's absolutely right. One day the nation will go back to two strong political parties. But the Republican Party will not be one of those. Let it burn. Whatever is worth saving was taken by Bill and Hillary in the '90s and right now. The rest of it can and should burn.

skaboomizzy posted:

If a purely Evangelical party forms, it'll mostly be in the South and still vote lock-step with whatever remains of the GOP anyway. There are no more "moderate" Republicans remaining outside of the punditry. It's Tea Party anarchists and Bible Thumpers.

Pretty much this. And this poo poo we don't need in the country anymore. Reagan is dead, let his party of poo poo rot in the dust.

That said, I have to admire Obama for playing today this well. I just wonder when he's going to pull Merrick Garland's nomination and let Mitch McConnell eat poo poo.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

mike12345 posted:

I love these classifications, because they usually apply to everyone. Like most people behave/experience life like this *to some degree*. The intensity of each of these variables matters the most, and the severity with with which they affect you and the people around you. But usually people leave that bit out.

Can Trump be considered to have the personality disorder when it almost certainly does not affect his daily life due to his fortune? It's pretty easy to have a horrible personality and have ~$1 billion. It's not so easy when you're broke, and it actually does affect your ability to keep yourself.

In this Washington Post article posted earlier, the author brought up this quote from Trump.

quote:

Also, he’s alarmingly thin-skinned. Referring to critics who spoke at the Democratic National Convention, Trump said Thursday that he wanted to “hit a number of those speakers so hard, their heads would spin.” And: “I was going to hit one guy in particular, a very little guy.” Trump made clear Friday on Twitter that he was talking about “ ‘Little’ Michael Bloomberg, who never had the guts to run for president.”

He says it's in reference to Bloomberg, but wasn't it obviously about Ryan Moore, the man with dwarfism that spoke there? Trump even made a waist high hand gesture indicating the guy's height. I took that entirely as Trump wanting to punch a dwarf.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Aug 3, 2016

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Oh, it's still possible for the election to be close, but it's more that it's also possible for it to be a blowout, which is something we haven't seen since 1996 pretty much.

I doubt Clinton will actually win states like Wyoming or Idaho and she won't break 400 EV but given how things are polarized these days and certain states are deep blue and others deep red, it's still a very commanding performance if she can beat Obama '08 given all her baggage. Obama was pretty much the perfect candidate for '08 and McCain's campaign was a mess in retrospect and he still got only 365 EV, but he did win by 7 points which is where this race seems to be right now.

TheTatteredKing posted:

Nice worthless degree for idiot fuckers!

I say with my English major Religious Studies miror

My job has nothing to do with my degree so I rate this post as "True"

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

mike12345 posted:

The diagnosis requires evidence of 5 out of 9 criteria. I've met 2 or 3 people in my personal life who *might* have reached that (3-5 criteria each). With Trump we have extensive evidence over a long period of all 9, wouldn't you say?

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Tayter Swift posted:

#MyLiberalFear is that Trump is gonna ramp up the "rigged" trope for months until we start seeing armed insurrections

Seen a lot of posts like this, but wasn't their some similar rhetoric when a negro kenyan musilm was running for president and won... twice... and nothing much happened except for more bitching and moaning?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Gravy Jones posted:

Seen a lot of posts like this, but wasn't their some similar rhetoric when a negro kenyan musilm was running for president and won... twice... and nothing much happened except for more bitching and moaning?

Yeah, nothing organized will happen en masse. And anything that does happen will be as uneventful, boring, and :sad: as those Oregon assholes. The biggest danger these people pose to society is simply voting for awful humans.

However, now that I said that...

Nichael posted:

But again, everything I've said about this election has been wrong so what the gently caress do I know.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Also :lol:

https://twitter.com/JohnDingell/status/730803994721955840

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

No disrespect to Dingell, but does he have writers or something for that account? Because I never would've expected a 90 year old ex Representative being so consistently hilarious.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I can buy someone who was a Representative for nearly 60 years being good in this kind of medium (brief witty quips) if they get over the hurdle of learning how to use it.

John Dingell posted:

Never underestimate the power of an old man with a Twitter account, I guess.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Nichael posted:

He says it's in reference to Bloomberg, but wasn't it obviously about Ryan Moore, the man with dwarfism that spoke there? Trump even made a waist high hand gesture indicating the guy's height. I took that entirely as Trump wanting to punch a dwarf.

no it was obviously about bloomberg

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

awesmoe posted:

no it was obviously about bloomberg

I think I just really wanted "Trump Wants to Fight a Dwarf" to be a headline then.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Chances are he's going to get destroyed and all the whining about rigging won't matter

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Nichael posted:

I think I just really wanted "Trump Wants to Fight a Dwarf" to be a headline then.

You got a trump yells at baby, don't be greedy

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Khan was such a smart move... it's been obvious since the McCain gaffe what, a year ago? that Trump has a problem respecting vets, but Trump is Trump and McCain is McCain, so he could get past it.

Now the only political baggage is Khan's religion, and of course that was gonna separate the wheat from the chaff really quick.

People say the DNC is incompetent but this was a really really shrewd move.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Wikkheiser posted:

Oh God. The debates.
My worry is that there somehow won't be any debates. I just really, really want to see Clinton v Trump.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Perfectly Safe posted:

My worry is that there somehow won't be any debates. I just really, really want to see Clinton v Trump.

We all do friend

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

TheTatteredKing posted:

So is Trump's growing incoherence something that'll be seen in someone increasing dependence on uppers?

manic stuff definitely is a common effect, I dunno about incoherence. but these things aren't exactly designed for people pushing 70, if trump is on what I think he's on

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Zas posted:

Khan was such a smart move... it's been obvious since the McCain gaffe what, a year ago? that Trump has a problem respecting vets, but Trump is Trump and McCain is McCain, so he could get past it.

Now the only political baggage is Khan's religion, and of course that was gonna separate the wheat from the chaff really quick.

People say the DNC is incompetent but this was a really really shrewd move.

The conventions are typically organized by the campaign staff, not the party organization. Generally the general election campaign is where the national committee gets subordinated to the presidential candidate's apparatus, which is going to be swimming in resources and has the best people working on it (since top tier advisors don't usually want to work for the party directly, that doesn't get you into the West Wing).

The RNC was some sort of weird mishmash of both and, well.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Antti posted:

Oh, it's still possible for the election to be close, but it's more that it's also possible for it to be a blowout, which is something we haven't seen since 1996 pretty much.

I doubt Clinton will actually win states like Wyoming or Idaho and she won't break 400 EV but given how things are polarized these days and certain states are deep blue and others deep red, it's still a very commanding performance if she can beat Obama '08 given all her baggage. Obama was pretty much the perfect candidate for '08 and McCain's campaign was a mess in retrospect and he still got only 365 EV, but he did win by 7 points which is where this race seems to be right now.

There was a week way back when I was breathlessly thinking maybe the house was in play. I just want a slaughter so very bad.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

TheTatteredKing posted:

There was a week way back when I was breathlessly thinking maybe the house was in play. I just want a slaughter so very bad.

Iron Crowned posted:

We all do friend

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
So let's imagine that sometime between now and November 8th, Trump does drop dead from some combination of drug OD, coronary disaster, and God being a hater and a loser (sad!). What effect does this have on the downticket?

a) Good, because they're not associated with Trump anymore
b) Great, because they get sympathy votes
c) Bad, because their candidate was weak and he died and Hillary coasts to victory and brings Dems with her
d) None of the above because Trumpsheviks riot in the streets, smash windows, overturn cars, and launch la revolucion

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

FAUXTON posted:

They probably thought they had the country by the balls after the earmarks moratorium, Citizens United, and the Shelby decision. They'd gotten a greenlight on shitloads of outside oil baron money rolling in, they'd gotten the greenlight on voter suppression, and they'd severed the main route by which consensus is built in the legislature.

The problem is that now they can't unring the earmarks bell and so their party is more than willing to rip each other's throats out in order to be The Most Conservative in front of a camera. They can't unring the CU bell so now the RNC can't put anywhere near enough of their thumb on the scale to swing elections toward moderates and instead you get crazed nutjobs whose campaigns they can't just abort by pulling party support. They can't unring the Shelby bell so now you've got civil rights groups falling all over themselves to sue their asses for passing Actual Jim Crow poo poo, and managing to get swathes of those state laws struck the gently caress down in the process.

Every single loving dark bargain they made with the furnacekeeper of hell itself in the past 40 years is being called in this year and they're utterly powerless to stop the super-sized train of poo poo from rolling over them. Fundamentalists are fighting against the corporatists, tea partiers are trying to glam-con their way into "leading figure" status by stabbing all the backs within reach, states are just swinging for the fences on discriminatory laws and getting not only their laws struck but similar laws in other states struck too. All the while, as the GOP turns in on itself like a bag full of wolverines getting thrown in the river, Obama sits perched in his bully pulpit becoming more and more liked every day because of how lovely the other guys are. Before Trump, there was Palin and before Palin there was Coulter, before Coulter there was Rush, before Rush there was Reagan, before Reagan there was Goldwater and before Goldwater today's GOP was just a twinkle in the eye of people like Charles Lindbergh.

Drink this election in and savor it not like a fine wine but instead like a cheap Moscato. Enjoy it not because of the quality or any melange of flavors but because it is sweet and fizzy and cheap. The GOP won't loving learn from this because it cannot learn, it destroyed the parts of itself capable of learning. They doubled down on racism and bigotry after losing twice to a black guy and then chased off the people suggesting they stop being shitfucks to women and minorities. They responded to losing the LGBTQ marriage war by attacking transpeople and then lashing out at multinational companies that turned their backs on places like North Carolina. They are devolving so fast they couldn't even get a prior presidential nominee to appear at the convention let alone a prior president so they had to make due with the pyramid scam lady who spoke like she skipped class speech days in elementary school.

The GOP is a mess.

The GOP is a waste.

quotin for reference

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
wakey wakey

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/760765818917515264

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Antti posted:

The conventions are typically organized by the campaign staff, not the party organization. Generally the general election campaign is where the national committee gets subordinated to the presidential candidate's apparatus, which is going to be swimming in resources and has the best people working on it (since top tier advisors don't usually want to work for the party directly, that doesn't get you into the West Wing).

The RNC was some sort of weird mishmash of both and, well.
yeah I wasn't sure who to credit, but whoever's responsible did hell of a drat job.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Counterpoint: If Clinton dropped dead in November and Trump won, would anyone intervene to stop him taking power? Seriously, would there be a coup or would officials basically bypass him and prevent any of his actions being carried out? E: Would there be an immediate impeachment on some grounds?

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Aug 3, 2016

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Trump has learned that he is captaining a flaming trash barge

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?

This guy is loving magnificent.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
http://time.com/4433168/jesse-ventura-donald-trump/

Jesse Ventura floats the conspiracy that Trump is actively trying to destroy the Republican party as a revenge plot for sabotaging his attempt to run for president as an independent.

[quote="Jesse Ventura" post=""""]
Donald Trump is not a dumb man.
You see, he saw what happened to the Reform Party, the third party I ran in when I became the Governor of Minnesota. Back in the 1990s, Donald was interested in running for office as an Independent, and he was there when Pat Buchanan came in with these legions of people (who were backed by the Republican Party) and took over the Reform party, got the nomination and then didn’t even run. Buchanan took the money we raised (at that point, we had quite a large national base thanks to Ross Perot and myself) and he used that money to retire his previous campaign debts. He had no intention of using our campaign money to run for president and that’s what destroyed the Reform party. This was all done by design so that the Reform party would no longer be a threat to the Republicans. Well, Trump was there then. He saw it. And I believe he’s doing the same thing to the Republicans that they did to us.
[/quote]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Trump_presidential_campaign,_2000

"Trump focused his campaign on the issues of fair trade, eliminating the national debt, and achieving universal healthcare as outlined in the campaign companion piece The America We Deserve, released in January 2000."

"Internal conflict caused Ventura to exit the Reform Party in February 2000, removing Trump's most vocal proponent. Trump officially ended his campaign on the February 14, 2000 airing of The Today Show. Though he believed he could still win the Reform Party presidential nomination, he felt the party was too dysfunctional to support his campaign and enable a win in the general election. A poll matching Trump against likely Republican nominee George W. Bush and likely Democratic nominee Al Gore showed Trump with seven percent support. Despite his withdrawal, Trump won both primaries for which he qualified. Buchanan would go on to win the nomination."

this isn't really relevant but it was surreal to read on wikipedia
He seriously considered running as a Republican in the 2012 presidential election but decided against it. Four years later, he initiated a full-scale presidential campaign and became the Republican Party's 2016 presidential nominee.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I'm sorry if this has all already been talked about, I'm slow to catching up on everything today, but this looks like a preview of the postgame entertainment:

quote:

TRUMP: I don’t want to jump the gun. I don’t want to talk about that. I’m just saying that I wouldn’t be surprised if the election . . . there’s a lot of dirty pool played at the election, meaning the election is rigged. I would not be surprised. The voter ID, they’re fighting as hard as you can fight so that that they don’t have to show voter ID. So, what’s the purpose of that? How many times is a person going to vote during the day? If you don’t have voter ID . . .

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Counterpoint: If Clinton dropped dead in November and Trump won, would anyone intervene to stop him taking power? Seriously, would there be a coup or would officials basically bypass him and prevent any of his actions being carried out? E: Would there be an immediate impeachment on some grounds?

I think in this scenario, with the election day so close, the Clinton/Kaine ticket would probably still make it to 270+ EV and then the electors could vote Kaine for President, leave the VP position without a majority and let the Senate pick the VP. It would be functionally the almost the same as if Clinton had died right after taking the oath of office (except in that case there would be no VPOTUS at all and the Senate would have to confirm a new one).

This is also how I would imagine most sudden death scenarios would play out if they happen so close to the election that there's no way to establish a clear and accepted replacement candidate. I think the VP candidate is in a very strong position there because they were chosen by the candidate to succeed them to the Presidency in that kind of scenario.

This sort of thing hasn't happened in the modern era (IIRC it has never happened period; at worst we've had very brief presidencies). I love to poo poo on the electoral college but it does provide for an interesting backdoor for these one in a million scenarios.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I don't believe Trump's campaign is purposefully sabotaging the GOP and itself, but I don't think the theory is 100% ridiculous. Others have said this before: what exactly would Trump be doing differently if he did want to destroy them from the inside?

And really, by January we'll have had 45 presidents. We've never had someone run a massive campaign as a joke before though. That is definitely something that would make Trump remembered far longer than being president, especially since he's not the first president for being X like Obama and Clinton are.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm starting to think that I may have engineered part of the interior of Trump's 757 :ohdear:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

I never knew Hawaii was especially corrupt.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I'm reading the rest of this interview https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...a856_story.html which is great by the way, and Trump will not shut the gently caress up about the primary. It's like jesus christ get over it dude, we know it was the highlight of your life but you're running for president here, you gotta take the next step.

What I mean is, it's not that Trump can't pivot, it's that he's entirely incapable of moving on to the general election even in his mind.

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Aug 3, 2016

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Zas posted:

I'm reading the rest of this interview https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...a856_story.html which is great by the way, and Trump will not shut the gently caress up about the primary. It's like jesus christ get over it dude, we know it was the highlight of your life but you're running for president here, you gotta take the next step.

I think peak Trump may have been him being upset that Clinton didn't congratulate him on winning the primary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

quote:

they did absolutely nothing wrong, and they took a couple of lines made him look bad.

RUCKER: The Swiss bank account.

TRUMP: He did nothing wrong. They took a couple of lines that were absolutely perfect and they made him look bad.

you know who else had a swiss bank account and did nothing wrong...

• Locked thread