Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I miss when my romsite of choice used to host their stuff as .7z archives that'd contain every known dump of a game + hacks/translations. Downloading mario world/a link to the past and having like 50 hacks of varying scope and quality to screw around in was brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (Unk) (m3) [T+Dut100] (V1.1) [b2] [t] [o] [!].smc

exactly, and 12-year-old me didn't know what the hell some of the more obscure ones were.

https://www.loveroms.com/help/codes.php

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Drastic Actions posted:

It was SonicStage and it was and is terrible. Sony took down the specific version that worked with the players I have too, so I had to search all over the internet just to get version 4.0.2 or whatever it was so I could, you know, use the player I had.

Also it didn't support MP3. It would convert it to ATRAC and then write it (At least on the models I have, can't speak for others). So if you copied it from a CD you were fine, but copying MP3s meant another conversion.

Ah yeah, SonicStage! I never used it, only saw screenshots and... yeah, that's some software alright. I'm actually bidding on a Hi-MD player from Japan now because I'm an insane person.

The ancient and incredible minidisc.org tells me that ATRAC is the format that all MiniDiscs use, so converting it makes sense. Though with so much more space in a Hi-MD converting it to 1/5th of the original wasn't massively needed. Surely there could have been a higher quality option for encoding, like MP3 players had.

None of this matters though, they just look cool. If you want quality you go to lossless digital downloads. I mean some cassette tapes sound better than MiniDiscs (according to that TechMoan video some of them are nearly as good as a CD)!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I think I posted about it earlier in this thread, but Sony tried to revive the Walkman brand with an extremely portable solid-state device sometime around 2005. The physical design was really great, but everything had to be in ATRAC, and the software for loading the player really sucked ("SonicStage"). The ATRAC conversion was fairly seamless, though.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Squashy Nipples posted:

I think I posted about it earlier in this thread, but Sony tried to revive the Walkman brand with an extremely portable solid-state device sometime around 2005. The physical design was really great, but everything had to be in ATRAC, and the software for loading the player really sucked ("SonicStage"). The ATRAC conversion was fairly seamless, though.

The Walkman MP3 players they've been selling for the last 5 years or so are really nice and cheap

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Squashy Nipples posted:

They also slapped the updated brand on a line of their cell phones for a while

Spoiler alert: they were awful

Fun fact, Motorola had the same "audio-branded cell phone" idea as SonyEricsson (and also HTC later on with the Beats poo poo), but they had the distinction of being (IIRC) the only non-Apple-branded product to officially work with iTunes, at least for the 1st model (later models switched to RealPlayer for some godawful reason)

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

JediTalentAgent posted:

I think a site called VCDHelper or DVDHelper and now likely something else used to keep a huge user created database of various DVD players, their features, region codes, etc.

Rpc1, cdfreaks and vcdquality is what you're thinking of :D

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Fun fact, Motorola had the same "audio-branded cell phone" idea as SonyEricsson (and also HTC later on with the Beats poo poo), but they had the distinction of being (IIRC) the only non-Apple-branded product to officially work with iTunes, at least for the 1st model (later models switched to RealPlayer for some godawful reason)

That was the Rokr. Apple kinda screwed them over with the 100 song limit, but it was not a very good phone anyway :shrug:

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

yoloer420 posted:

Rpc1, cdfreaks and vcdquality is what you're thinking of :D

No he means VCDHelp which turned into VideoHelp

http://www.videohelp.com/

There's a code database where you look up your DVD player model and can find region-unlock codes

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

The Walkman MP3 players they've been selling for the last 5 years or so are really nice and cheap

No poo poo, this looks great for $40:

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-SRFM85W-Walkman-Digital-Weather/dp/B00140B8JC/

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Buttcoin purse posted:

SSH-accessible BBS with message areas and :filez: areas? There are still some out there.

Sometimes I work places where I spend all my time in SSH sessions and it seems like I may as well have an actual VT100 terminal instead of just an emulator on Windows. I assume VT100s have less ways of crashing than Windows.

I wrote a good chunk of an operating system using a serial terminal hooked up to a Solaris box. It's not too bad, although Solaris's default vi is not very good.

The main problem with a green-on-black terminal is that after an hour or two, the rest of the world gets a purple tinge when you look away from the screen.

Are there any good BBSes still online, with a real community around them?

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

EugeneJ posted:

hmm, let's take a look ... oh :stonklol:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah no even their cheap MP3 players were poo poo.

It's kind of sad that MP3 players were killed off by cell phones. Thankfully Sandisk makes exactly what I need: A cheap, tiny MP3 player that takes MicroSD cards. I don't feel like strapping an armband with a $700 cell phone inside to my arm every time I want to listen to music when I go running.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What is it? There are some decent MP3 players out there but they are all only 8GB. I use my Phillips GoGear but it would be nice to have something with more space.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

What is it? There are some decent MP3 players out there but they are all only 8GB. I use my Phillips GoGear but it would be nice to have something with more space.

https://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-8GB-Clip-Player-Black/dp/B00VXMY262/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1470148649&sr=8-3&keywords=sandisk+mp3+player

It won't take a card larger than 32GB, but even my spergy used-to-own-a-nearly-full-160GB-iPod-Classic rear end doesn't need more than 40GB of music on a run.

e: this thing is even cheaper, has pretty good reviews, and apparently takes 64GB cards, which means it could probably handle a 128GB card, too. Might have to pick one of those up just to try.

Bonus: it plays FLAC if you want to be ultra-mega-pretentious!

Snow Cone Capone has a new favorite as of 15:45 on Aug 2, 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I remember reading about those Walkman Phones. I could never figure out why someone would want a gimped music player that would probably suck the life out of their phone in an hour or two.

I bet it sucked so bad that Steve Jobs was like gently caress it, I can make this not suck.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I had an LG Chocolate with the spinner wheel and it actually kinda owned

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Remember when Nokia thought this was a good idea?

Edit: this variation too:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I don't even know how that thing works.

I had what everyone I knew called the "toast phone". It was a Nokia that was round with 2 lines of keys on either side of the screen. I liked it!

I do miss unique phones though. Now they're all black rectangles. Where's the fun? Where's my Pre 4?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I would unironically buy and use a smartphone that has a physical keyboard. Not the Priv though because it's not rootable.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I would unironically buy and use a smartphone that has a physical keyboard. Not the Priv though because it's not rootable.

Yeah I was sad to learn that.

Also it costs 8 million dollars.

I miss physical keyboards and I don't care who knows it. Can we get some Pre love going? Best multitasking still to this day!

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

I held off on upgrading from my HTC G2 up until TMobile literally stopped providing 4G service and completely switched to 4G LTE just because of that.

I gave up and went to a LG G4 though. Curved display is at least a neat party trick and the camera's really nice. Leather back is also surprisingly attention grabbing too, despite it being like the sole advertised feature of the phone.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i was hoping physical keyboards would make a comeback but i'm starting to think they never will now

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah my guess is that because there's so many moving parts involved (well I suppose just the sliding mechanism) and how much more difficult it is to manufacture it will never come back. Since Android is an open OS I am surprised some Chinese company hasn't made one. I mean there's so many of those handheld Android "gaming consoles" you'd think someone would try putting a physical keyboard phone out there.

I just make so many drat typos on a touch screen, even with keyboard apps that try to predict what I am saying. I would honestly guess that I could write stuff up in half the time with a legit keyboard. And it has nothing to do with QWERTY because I was ridiculously fast with T9. I didn't even need to look at the phone. It's all about tactile feedback.

We're a dying breed!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

One of the guys I work with is STILL using a Blackberry, because of the keyboard.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Yeah my guess is that because there's so many moving parts involved (well I suppose just the sliding mechanism) and how much more difficult it is to manufacture it will never come back. Since Android is an open OS I am surprised some Chinese company hasn't made one. I mean there's so many of those handheld Android "gaming consoles" you'd think someone would try putting a physical keyboard phone out there.

Ostensibly the trend is for thinner phones, and the physical keyboard presents a huge amount of bulk that they can do away with as well as something not a whole lot of people used. Any time I had to lend my phone to someone because they needed to send a text, they'd just use the onscreen keyboard and skip the physical one.

Also there are a fair few Android phones with actual physical keyboards still, but they're strictly low end devices with not a whole lot of power to them.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Okay here's something that might be useful to anyone still interested in using After Dark in DOSBox as their screensaver: http://www.megafileupload.com/btkV/getout.zip contains an EXE file which will cause After Dark to run if you go into its settings and change the sleep hotkey to F12 without Ctrl or Shift having to be pressed. You can add it to the Startup group in Program Manager, then put WIN in your dosbox.conf's [autoexec] section so that After Dark starts when DOSBox does.

The program has a window with some text in it so that if your screen saver does something to the existing desktop, it has something to work with.

Edit: it works for me in Windows 3.1 with After Dark 3 (as pictured above).

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

I just make so many drat typos on a touch screen, even with keyboard apps that try to predict what I am saying. I would honestly guess that I could write stuff up in half the time with a legit keyboard. And it has nothing to do with QWERTY because I was ridiculously fast with T9. I didn't even need to look at the phone. It's all about tactile feedback.
What, do you have giant hulk hands or something?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

John Big Booty posted:

What, do you have giant hulk hands or something?

I'm 6'4" 185lbs so sorta big but not that big though my feets are size 15 so who knows if it's that. I just can't adjust well to not having tactile feedback. I borrowed a friend's car where I needed to use a touch screen to adjust the drat stereo volume and I almost died 7 times

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm 6'4" 185lbs so sorta big but not that big though my feets are size 15 so who knows if it's that. I just can't adjust well to not having tactile feedback. I borrowed a friend's car where I needed to use a touch screen to adjust the drat stereo volume and I almost died 7 times

Must be one hell of a stereo.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Sega and Sony probably included CD protection in the Saturn and Playstation to counteract the China and Hong Kong-based piracy industries, rather than anything related to home users copying discs. The video, audio, and data piracy industry in the region was big enough for the US government to threaten tariffs and sanctions over in mid-1990s, if the Chinese government didn't take action to do something about it. Likely, then, Sega and had some inkling about what a bunch of dedicated CD duplication factories could do, and acted to make it more difficult.

the horrible irony of the dreamcast having decent copy protection and a glaring hole in its cd read code

also the phantasy star online disc stream over network hack that facilitated disk rips way before anyone would have figured that poo poo out on other hardware (loving lol)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It would be cool to have a physical keyboard, but I never really used it on my og droid. It was just too much of a hassle. I really want a phone with a good battery though. gently caress thin phones, they are thin enough. Give me a loving battery that lasts more than a day.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
sometime in like 2010 i played 4x4 evolution on my dreamcast over dial up just to see if it would work. i got into the lobby and chatted with people poorly. nobody joined the game i hosted because all of the other ones were 8 player and the dreamcast only supported 4. still kinda incredible people are even playing that garbage game but hey people were upset about gamespy closing down

also back when consoles and pc would play together. rip.

too bad imatating seganet in any reasonable modern manner is probably too much of a hassle if not impossible cause i would have liked to play other things

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Cojawfee posted:

It would be cool to have a physical keyboard, but I never really used it on my og droid. It was just too much of a hassle. I really want a phone with a good battery though. gently caress thin phones, they are thin enough. Give me a loving battery that lasts more than a day.

it's because manufacturers see more of an advantage to sometimes making upgraded versions of existing phones with extended batteries and price tags

but, also, you really can't get a whole lot of battery and a lot of the time you'd just be sacrificing thickness for minimal gains in battery life. like the battery isn't a majority of the volume. most of the space saving has been improvements in screen size anyways. my first smartphone touchscreen was like half the width, an entire lcd/backlight and a separate thick rear end 1mm glass assembly with a wee tiny gap in between them. a nexus 4's entire screen/lcd assembly is like .5mm thick and that poo poo is old, son

best android ive ever had is the moto x tho like the only thing that might break is the plastic back and you can replace that poo poo for $2 on ebay. ive had it for like two+ years and bought it used and it still works perfect. nothing has broken or spazzed out or started creaking. no phone ive owned has ever lasted this long and its motorola???

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
imagine being a keyboard maker your whole life and finally at the end of your career you struggled with the little keys on phones but kept up because you're a factory slave worker in SE Asia and you finally master them then it was all for nothing with the advent of touchscreen :smith:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

maybe that's why they had to add auto drive to the tesla. they removed all tactile controls and just put an ipad as the whole dash instead.

even now staring at my phone keypad i am still hitting the wrong key a decent amount of the time (though i dont use an sort of assist or autocorrect cause i hate that experience even more) and im skinny as poo poo tap typing is just inferior as gently caress. maybe this new generation of kids growing up with haptic touch will fare better than my old rear end though

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I would dearly love to have a physical keyboard on my phone again, but the last one I had that did was the LG Ally that was my first actual "smartphone." I put smartphone in quotes because the Ally was not really that smart - I fondly refer to it as potatophone, and it is now my alarm clock.

My hands are big enough that on-screen keyboards are frustratingly small, and while Swype makes it more usable the autocorrects it does range from hilarious to baffling.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
Back in the day I got a roll up keyboard for my phone, I'm pretty sure it was some Windows Mobile PDA like brick with a stylus touchscreen and I only used the keyboard like twice before I realized how stupid it was.

Then I got some LG flip phone that had a keyboard, it was one of the ones where you could use it vertically with T9, or flip it horizontally to use the full keyboard. It had some MGS game for it that was actually really good, IIRC it was kind of like the VR missions, full 3D with it's own unique story.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Some companies have made slider cases for the iPhone. Surprised such things aren't more popular.

https://www.amazon.com/Sliding-Bluetooth-Keyboard-Hardshell-Backlight/dp/B00507H0LA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
phones aren't square anymore. also bluetooth

the iphone 4 was great. they should just keep selling it forever w a new processor imo because all the ones since are ugly and i am not compelled to use them