Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
And Johnson county got a little less lovely, kicking out a few ultra conservatives for moderates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Eat poo poo Huelscamp. You were such a nob you got kicked off the loving Agriculture committee you wet shart of a human being.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Here is hoping the Tea Party is going away forever.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Fun fact: One of my mom's friends lives next door to Huelscamp. My mom's friend knows when he's home because he screams at his family loud enough that she can hear him from inside of her house. Dude is as repulsive a human being in real life as he is on tv/print.

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

Well my faith is a little restored in kansas it looks like the primaries ousted a bunch of real dirt bags. I'd rather see democrats but we all know that isn't going to happen so I'll take these moderates.
"

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
It was a culling of Sam Brownback associates. Whatever happens in November KS is headed towards being a better place.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Beo posted:

Well my faith is a little restored in kansas it looks like the primaries ousted a bunch of real dirt bags. I'd rather see democrats but we all know that isn't going to happen so I'll take these moderates.
"

Some Dem party workers came into my bar last night to watch results- they're excited that there are Republicans winning that will actually work with them- the party divide used to be insanely amicable by national standards, and they really want that cooperation back instead of constant stonewalling

(er by 'my bar' I mean I was working last night, not that I own it)

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

SalTheBard posted:

It was a culling of Sam Brownback associates. Whatever happens in November KS is headed towards being a better place.

Doubtful. They're going to have to raise taxes for this to happen.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
They're going to have to raise taxes over Brownback's veto is the big problem, even with the gains by centrists in the primary Brownback has enough allies to prevent an override.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
The Unified Government of Kansas City, Kansas, and Wyandotte County said it does not inspect the operations of such rides and is responsible only for ensuring they've adhered to local building codes.

Without specifically mentioning waterslides, Kansas statutes define an "amusement ride" as any mechanical or electrical conveyance "for the purpose of giving its passengers amusement, pleasure, thrills or excitement." Such rides, by statute, commonly are Ferris wheels, carousels, parachute towers, bungee jumps and roller coasters.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I've been scared to seek out the Schlitterbahn thread because I don't need decapitation jokes.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
While I'm not happy a child died, I wonder if his Republican father will go "Hmmm maybe some thing need to be regulated and maybe not all regulations are bad!" This is a terrible tragedy and so horrific and violent too. The poor family (not to mention the 2 random strangers on the raft with him) will be scarred for life.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
So what exactly happened to the kid? Did he get his head popped off or did he fly off the raft or something??

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

So what exactly happened to the kid? Did he get his head popped off or did he fly off the raft or something??

You can find a video on youtube of a raft going flying off the ride before it opened. They I guess couldn't stop that from happening so they put a cage around the ride. His head apparently hit one of the bars of that cage at high enough speeds to gruesomely kill him.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

FilthyImp posted:

I haven't watched the video but my understanding it was a snapped neck, not a full decapitation. Still horrific and a terrible tragedy. What pisses me off especially is that the owner of the park specifically did this in Kansas rather than Texas because Kansas had essentially no regulation or rules for the park.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
:psypop:
Holy goddamn poo poo. Bars around the ride to fix a gross engineering problem? They couldn't even stick foam pool noodles around to buffer the impact? Those owners are getting so sued.

This is Rollercoaster Tycoon levels of stupidity here.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Anubis posted:

I haven't watched the video but my understanding it was a snapped neck, not a full decapitation. Still horrific and a terrible tragedy. What pisses me off especially is that the owner of the park specifically did this in Kansas rather than Texas because Kansas had essentially no regulation or rules for the park.

If you at any point in your life are thinking "loving Texas and their onerous rules forbidding me from doing X!", you should take a good long look at what you're doing, because it's probably going to end badly.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

There has been a thread on a Chiefs forum titled "How long until somebody dies on the Veruckt?" that's been going since it opened. It got bumped.

Also the national media is calling it a "neck trauma" which is one way to describe decapitation I suppose.

When they first had dummies testing the thing they launched hundreds of feet in the air. So they modified it a bit, put the people on a big heavy raft and then put a net over the top.

They are going to get sued like double anal sued.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
the descriptions of the regulations of the inspection requirements for the rides and their pitiful record keeping requirements (that were waived during an audit because they conduct daily visual inspections) made me :stonk: because that's like a blank check for venal short sighted fuckers to cut corners and ignore the potential consequences of that. It's literally amazing someone hadn't died sooner on that ride.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

FilthyImp posted:

:psypop:
Holy goddamn poo poo. Bars around the ride to fix a gross engineering problem? They couldn't even stick foam pool noodles around to buffer the impact? Those owners are getting so sued.

This is Rollercoaster Tycoon levels of stupidity here.

Sure they'll be sued and rightfully so. And I'm sure the jury is going to give them massive damage award. And those damages will be reduced down to $250,000.
http://www.kslegislature.org/li_2012/b2011_12/statute/060_000_0000_chapter/060_019a_0000_article/060_019a_0002_section/060_019a_0002_k/

Another win for tort reform!

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

RevKrule posted:

Sure they'll be sued and rightfully so. And I'm sure the jury is going to give them massive damage award. And those damages will be reduced down to $250,000.
http://www.kslegislature.org/li_2012/b2011_12/statute/060_000_0000_chapter/060_019a_0000_article/060_019a_0002_section/060_019a_0002_k/

Another win for tort reform!

Wrong law.

But it's still a $250,000 limit even for wrongful death.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

rscott posted:

the descriptions of the regulations of the inspection requirements for the rides and their pitiful record keeping requirements (that were waived during an audit because they conduct daily visual inspections) made me :stonk: because that's like a blank check for venal short sighted fuckers to cut corners and ignore the potential consequences of that. It's literally amazing someone hadn't died sooner on that ride.
Is... is Kansas being converted into China? :ohdear:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Tupperwarez posted:

Is... is Kansas being converted into China? :ohdear:

Already happening. Textile jobs are coming back to South Carolina. . . Because SC workers are cheaper than Chinese workers now.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Already happening. Textile jobs are coming back to South Carolina. . . Because SC workers are cheaper than Chinese workers now.

Would you happen to have any articles on this? This sounds like an interesting read.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

AfterFather posted:

Would you happen to have any articles on this? This sounds like an interesting read.

I'm on the phone now but should be findable with Google.

SoSimpleABeginning
Mar 6, 2010

From so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
The Great Twist

Anubis posted:

There is a horrific photo of the aftermath. It thankfully doesn't show the boy's body, but you can see about a body's-worth of blood pooled at the bottom of the slide. The damage certainly wasn't only internal - there must have been significant tearing through all of the soft tissue, skin included, to have that much blood end up outside the body.

I can't imagine how traumatizing that must have been for the bystanders.

Edit: Here is the photo. It's :nms: mostly because you know the circumstances that led to it.

SoSimpleABeginning fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 11, 2016

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm on the phone now but should be findable with Google.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/03/business/chinese-textile-mills-are-now-hiring-in-places-where-cotton-was-king.html

Chinese Textile Mills Are Now Hiring in Places Where Cotton Was King

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
It's the standard red state tactic of letting business pay no taxes if not outright paying the business to move.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

quote:

The work is highly automated, with the factory’s 32 production lines churning out about 85 tons of yarn a day. Even when Keer opens a second factory next year, it will hire just 500 workers, a fraction of the thousands of workers who toiled at cotton mills across the South for much of the 19th and 20th centuries — a big reason Keer is able to keep costs down.

And this is the paragraph that shows its not a big deal.
Wow, 500 jobs!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

happyhippy posted:

Wow, 500 jobs!

It's a big deal if you live in a textile mill town that hasn't had a population over 1,000 in two generations.

More to the point though it ties into the ongoing issue of automation eliminating jobs generally.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

happyhippy posted:

Wow, 500 jobs!

Just demonstrated that automation is now the job killer more than exportation for cheap labor.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
I imagine it's better for the U.S. to lose jobs to automation here at home than jobs overseas to cheap labor?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
So when do we get a mincome?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Gounads posted:

I imagine it's better for the U.S. to lose jobs to automation here at home than jobs overseas to cheap labor?

New nativist slogan: American Capital For American Billionaires!

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

I think wages in the Pearl River Delta are up to something like $3/hour now so for more advanced production the US can make sense. Apparently there aren't enough engineers in China with the sufficient skill to open up new factories in other regions with lower wages. The race to the bottom cliche turns out to be a myth!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Gounads posted:

For the capital owners yes, but for the average person it makes absolutely no difference.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

effectual posted:

After the next violent revolution, I imagine, if nobody pushes the big red "NUKE IT ALL" button along the way.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

Just demonstrated that automation is now the job killer more than exportation for cheap labor.

Which is why the focus on minimum wage is so misguided. Should still be done, but still a lot of energy is being wasted on something that is quickly becoming an outdated concept. People point to (often poorly done studies) on min wage without realizing how automation has changed the name of the game. Like do we really believe there will be fast food workers in 20 years? We probably won't even be driving cars in 20 years! It's all about the mincome, baby.

effectual posted:

Probably sooner than you think and no there won't be a war before it. The need for one will be obvious, and the general mood in the US is more in that direction than ever. Even republicans are making overtures towards income equality like it was the loving 50's or something. But moreso than that will be new technologies that vastly improve the lives of poorer people, along with continuing improvements in things that churn out basic necessities (which are cheaper than ever).

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

tsa posted:

Probably sooner than you think and no there won't be a war before it. The need for one will be obvious, and the general mood in the US is more in that direction than ever. Even republicans are making overtures towards income equality like it was the loving 50's or something. But moreso than that will be new technologies that vastly improve the lives of poorer people, along with continuing improvements in things that churn out basic necessities (which are cheaper than ever).

The absurdly rich quite like being able to control everybody without money. Right now the global financial elite can literally buy elections in several countries. There has also been a long, long history of the U.S. military getting involved in countries that just happen to be getting in the way of profit. Notice how right wing politics gets a ton of money from the absurdly rich and also just happen to be opposed to anybody getting a free lunch ever. Mincome is the ultimate free lunch; it's free life.

What that political movement wants is for your right to life, unless you had the good fortune to be born rich, to be based on your ability to generate profit. If you can't then go die.

I doubt they'll be willing to change that all that much. As much as it'd be totally awesome to do it without bloodshed history shows pretty strongly that this sort of thing ends in violence.

And no, the Republicans are only paying lip service to such things because they know that's the biggest pressing issue in America right now; inequality is awful and getting worse. Take a careful look at the answers they're suggesting. They want to enact such wonderful policies as "rewarding people who create jobs" or "reducing government dependency." It's a bunch of code for "more money for rich people, gently caress everybody else."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

It's going to destroy all those outsourced jobs overseas and bring a fraction of them back to the USA.

• Locked thread