Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm not trying to be authoritative here. I'm not saying nobody should go see Suicide Squad. If you watched the trailers and saw the images and somehow think it looks good then by all means go see it. Obviously people are going to like different things. I realize this is the Internet and if I say "you don't have to go see this movie" your knee-jerk translation of that is "this movie looks like poo poo and you're an idiot if you watch it" but that's really not what I mean.

I just mean there is sometimes a sense of obligation when it comes to comic book movies and comic book people. People seem to be saying "I don't really think it will be good, but I'll go see it anyway." I don't think we as comic book people need to have that level of, I don't know, solidarity?

Maybe it's just me but the opinion I've formed based on literally everything about the movie I've seen is good enough for me. I don't need to go see the movie just to confirm what I'm 99% sure I will think of it, just so I can say I've formed my own opinion. By that logic, you've got to see every single movie that gets made, because you can't decide whether it's worth your time or not until you've already spent that time to see it. And even if you decide it's not, WB already has your money. Just think about it, be honest with yourself, and maybe stay home and watch Aliens again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Maybe they already bought tickets. They don't refund those.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

Source please, because if it's a reviewer I like, this has just cemented my "Not gonna go" position.

It's from this review: http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/08/suicide-squad-review

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He liked Now You See Me 2. What a monster.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I hated Man of Steel, thought Batman v. Superman: Extended Edition had some decent parts that helped balance out the awful parts, felt Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises were mostly joyless slogs, and never even saw Green Lantern.

But I'm looking forward to Suicide Squad, mostly because I'm still a huge fan of the late '80s John Ostrander series (although I hated the first TPB of the New 52 series). As long as Deadshot and Captain Boomerang are cool, I'll be content, even if the rest of the movie is terrible. And my wife, who normally isn't into superhero movies at all, actually wants to see this because of Margot Robbie as Harley, so it will be interesting to see what she thinks.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

CzarChasm posted:

See, I was on the verge because I like the idea of an SS movie. The concept is classic - it's The Dirty Dozen meets Batman. Great. But with Leto-Joker and all the garbage surrounding him and his antics*, it has completely turned me off the idea. I feel as though if I pay for a movie ticket, I'm sending the wrong message. I'm saying "More of this, please".

*On that note, either it's bullshit ("Joker's so crazy our actor had to get crazy to learn what it was like - pass it on") or Jared Leto is a loving sociopath, and gently caress that.

Also from the reviews, Joker doesn't even have any scenes with any characters that aren't Harley Quinn. All the statements from the actors about how his antics helped create a feeling of antagonism with his character are nonsense because none of them ever actually acted in any scenes with Leto. It was pure marketing/promotional material to make people think Joker was a bigger part of the film than he was.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Aphrodite posted:

He liked Now You See Me 2. What a monster.

Now You See Me 2 is a much better movie than Suicide Squad.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The movie doesn't sound nearly as interesting as the psychodrama nerds are imagining around it, with evil corporation WB corrupting it and forcing last minute reshoots, and Snyder skulking around (the movie was "forced" to conform to his style), as opposed to Disney/Marvel who remain tastefully in the background.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Sep 11, 2016

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Travis343 posted:

There's a lot of people ITT that are like "Oh no, this sucks. I'm still gonna see it though".

Like you realize you don't have to go see it? I know we're comic nerds and we feel like we have to be aware of comic nerd stuff, often to our detriment, but really, you don't have to go see it. I went and saw BvS because I felt like I had to form an opinion on it, because I'm real into Batman. I wish I hadn't! I'm not going to go see movies that I think will be terrible anymore.

If we don't see the movie, people will tell us we have no right to criticize the movie. We must support bad movies so that we can legally say they are bad. Or something.

(I'm probably gonna see it on Netflix or something. I still haven't seen Man or Steel or BvS)

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The movie doesn't sound nearly as interesting as the psychodrama nerds are imagining around it, with evil corporation WB corrupting it and forcing last minute reshoots, and Snyder skulking around (the movie was "forced" to conform to his style), as opposed to Disney/Marvel who remain tastefully in the background.
Well you see Marvel is like Pope Julius II in terms of commissioning artists while DC/WB is more like some weirdo from deviantart. :v:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

achillesforever6 posted:

Well you see Marvel is like Pope Julius II in terms of commissioning artists while DC/WB is more like some weirdo from deviantart. :v:

You're saying that Marvel is relying on the achievements of a maligned but actually quite competent rival (Alexander VI/DC)?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

You're saying that Marvel is relying on the achievements of a maligned but actually quite competent rival (Alexander VI/DC)?
I was mostly joking about the controlling nature of Marvel when it comes to dictating how their movies were made.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
Lots of things went on with Suicide Squads production.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/suicide-squads-secret-drama-rushed-916693?utm_source=twitter

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I'm going to buy a ticket to Ghostbusters, and then sneak into Suicide Squad, so at least my money goes to the right place.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Sony is worse than WB.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sony is actually making MIB Jump Street, so no they're not.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

:frogon:

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Sony's prospective mishandling of the Valiant Universe films is really depressing.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Hahaha, holy poo poo, another one:

"Worse than Green Lantern, worse than Fantastic Four."

Surely not. SURELY. I refuse to believe it could really be that bad.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Article about Suicide Squad's behind-the-scenes issues.

quote:

Warners chief Kevin Tsujihara announced the project in October 2014 as part of a slate of 10 DC films stretching into 2020. Though the studio believed there was enough time to get the movie done, a source with ties to the project says it was a sprint from the start. "[Ayer] wrote the script in like, six weeks, and they just went," he says, arguing that the whole process would have benefited if Ayer, 48, had been given more time to work. But another source closely involved with the film says once it was dated, pushing back the release was not an option: "It's not just that you've told the public the movie is coming, you've made huge deals around the world with huge branding partners, with merchandise partners. It's a really big deal to move a tentpole date."

quote:

A source with knowledge of events says Warners executives, nervous from the start, grew more anxious after they were blindsided and deeply rattled by the tepid response to BvS. "Kevin was really pissed about damage to the brand," says one executive close to the studio. A key concern for Warners executives was that Suicide Squad didn't deliver on the fun, edgy tone promised in the strong teaser trailer for the film. So while Ayer pursued his original vision, Warners set about working on a different cut, with an assist from Trailer Park, the company that had made the teaser.

By the time the film was done, multiple editors had been brought into the process, though only John Gilroy is credited. (A source says he left by the end of the process and that the final editor was Michael Tronick.) "When you have big tentpoles and time pressure, you pull in resources from every which way you can," says this source. "You can't do it the way it used to be, with one editor and one assistant editor."

In May, Ayer's more somber version and a lighter, studio-favored version were tested with audiences in Northern California. "If there are multiple opinions that aren't in sync, you go down multiple tracks — two tracks at least," says an insider. "That was the case here for a period of time, always trying to get to a place where you have consensus." Those associated with the film insist Ayer agreed to and participated in the process. Once feedback on the two versions was analyzed, it became clear it was possible to get to "a very common-ground place." (The studio-favored version with more characters introduced early in the film and jazzed-up graphics won.) Getting to that place of consensus, however, required millions of dollars worth of additional photography.

The reshoots were definitely to make it more fun, and whatever Ayer's original vision was got lost in all of it because it didn't test well.

e: poo poo, missed it upthread, whatever

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sentinel Red posted:

Hahaha, holy poo poo, another one:

"Worse than Green Lantern, worse than Fantastic Four."

Surely not. SURELY. I refuse to believe it could really be that bad.

I mean I doubt it's even worse than Batman v Superman

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I do find it interesting that they may have blown up the film because a teaser trailer tested positively with a tone that didn't fit Ayer's movie. Studios are dumb.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

So given the audience reaction it seems like they were damned if they do damned if they don't situation.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Worse than F4nt4stic F4ur isn't a criticism that should be thrown around lightly so holy poo poo if it's true

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Is that the guy I beat up in Assassin's Creed 2?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I dunno how much weight it holds with you guys but ca did not like suicide squad

http://comicsalliance.com/suicide-squad-review-the-dc-movie-universes-darkest-night/

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"
Suicide Squad looks like it'll be a movie I'll rent on Redbox or watch on Netflix. It doesn't seem worth it to spend $20+ on what looks like an incredibly dull movie that's trying too hard to be "edgy."

CzarChasm posted:

Nothing. SS is unlikely to bomb - in terms of making money. Critical reviews won't change a drat thing.

Case in point: Batman v Superman. If there's enough of brand recognition and they market the movie well enough (as the SS people have), there's still plenty of room for profit. Then again, I don't know what the SS team spent on marketing and such.

Soonmot posted:

I'm not spending money to see a movie, I'm spending money to spend time with my friends where afterwards we will talk and laugh about how good/bad it was.

So...regardless if a movie is good or not, you're really paying for the experience? If the prices to see a movie were a bit cheaper, then sure - but at around $15+ for a single ticket? No thanks.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Several reviews have brought it up mockingly, but can anyone name which superhero/action films had a (does review material count as spoilers?) column of light in the climax? Other than Ghostbusters of course.

I don't mean that as an argument, I have big gaps in my movie viewing and a bad memory.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Man your ticket prices suck. Here it's like $12 Canadian.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Guess we'll just have to content ourselves with our cheaper literally everything else.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Aphrodite posted:

Man your ticket prices suck. Here it's like $12 Canadian.

Yeah, they do :smith: I'd be seeing a lot more movies if it wasn't so drat expensive. I remember when it was like $5.50 - $6 for a movie when I was younger, and I felt like I saw a ton more movies then than I do now.

Since the prices are astronomically higher than they were, I feel like I'm much more critical nowadays of what I want to spend money on seeing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah ticket prices are crap up here too. Like $8 for a matinee, 15 for regular, imax 20 imax 3d 25

Sometimes I wonder of movie sales are really even comparable at all to stuff that came out before like 2000 just cuz of astronomical price inflation and price tiers like that.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

mycot posted:

Several reviews have brought it up mockingly, but can anyone name which superhero/action films had a (does review material count as spoilers?) column of light in the climax? Other than Ghostbusters of course.

I don't mean that as an argument, I have big gaps in my movie viewing and a bad memory.

Spoiler just in case Man of Steel, just before Superman destroyed the terraforming machine in the Indian Ocean, maybe?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They aren't and never have been since they've never, ever accounted for inflation.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Sony is actually making MIB Jump Street, so no they're not.

Normally I'd be excited, but given their recent track record, I'm apprehensive.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

mycot posted:

Giant columns of lights and/or sky portals? Avengers, Thor 2, Man of Steel and Fantastic Four immediately jump to mind as far as that goes. And as you mentioned, Ghostbusters

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

mycot posted:

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Total Recall

The entirety of the Chitauri invasion in the first Avengers film.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

site posted:

I dunno how much weight it holds with you guys but ca did not like suicide squad

http://comicsalliance.com/suicide-squad-review-the-dc-movie-universes-darkest-night/
It does hold weight with me at least. Y'know how folks are always saying "Don't trust aggregate reviews, trust specific reviewers that speak to you"? Well, for me ComicsAlliance is one of those.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MrAristocrates posted:

Article about Suicide Squad's behind-the-scenes issues.

The reshoots were definitely to make it more fun, and whatever Ayer's original vision was got lost in all of it because it didn't test well.

e: poo poo, missed it upthread, whatever

Now the critic reviews really didn't bother me, but this does. Weren't the DC films supposedly supposed to be the ones that were director driven with the studio just letting them do their thing with no interference? Hiring an outside company to re-edit the film doesn't really fit that mold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X-O posted:

Now the critic reviews really didn't bother me, but this does. Weren't the DC films supposedly supposed to be the ones that were director driven with the studio just letting them do their thing with no interference? Hiring an outside company to re-edit the film doesn't really fit that mold.

DC"s absolute bigger blockbuster and most significant should-be huge hit was outgrossed by a film about a cartoon rabbit and fox battling institutionalized racism and a film with basically the same concept but Marvel's characters instead, and Fox turned a relatively niche character into probably the most profitable film of the year. They're probably desperately trying to figure out a way to right ship without looking weak.

• Locked thread