Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I got Pandemic Legacy and have yet to play it or get my team organised. I am already afriad I might become a quarter back monster. In a normal game I can sit back because it's just a game. But with Legacy it's a one time thing with consequences. I'm going to find it hard to not get over invested and get over bearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

Thanks for all the tips. Think I might pick up Chicago Express (seeing as it's super cheap as well) and then if we enjoy that, either get the 1846 reprint or 1830.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Indolent Bastard posted:

Codenames Deep Undercover (a Target exclusive) came out recently. I want to want, but I don't think I really want it. Rude Codenames seems dumb.

It is largely new words for Codenames with a handful of naughty words sprinkled in to fulfill the box's promise and sell to people whose eyes glitter when they see anything related to CAH.

Think of it as an expansion pack to Codenames with a promo bonus thrown in.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

al-azad posted:

It is largely new words for Codenames with a handful of naughty words sprinkled in to fulfill the box's promise and sell to people whose eyes glitter when they see anything related to CAH.

I might, but I balk at spending $20+ tax on new word cards. It's a weak maybe for me.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Guys should I sell this 1st ed Mansion of Madness (german edition, shrinkwrapped) that I just got for 40 euros or keep it and add it to my 2e that's waiting for me at home.

I also need a good excuse to leave work early!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

My friend did this with our Game of Thrones LCG poo poo and I had to take the box away from him and make cardstock tuck boxes for each faction. One of us has a problem.

I unironically rubberband board game cards but I can't see doing it for a LCG, I have like eight binders worth of Netrunner poo poo

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I can't reconcile myself to the fact I feel hyped about an Arkham Horror game in tyool 2016.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

StashAugustine posted:

I unironically rubberband board game cards but I can't see doing it for a LCG, I have like eight binders worth of Netrunner poo poo

There is nothing wrong with rubber bands. Just don't wrap it around tight like you are garotting someone. The trick is to find the correct band, that is tense enough to hold it together but not tense enough to bend the cards.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Lichtenstein posted:

I can't reconcile myself to the fact I feel hyped about an Arkham Horror game in tyool 2016.

Same. It'll also be the first LCG I don't join three years in, so no buying 500+ cards at once anymore.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Picked up Navajo Wars which is primarily a solo game that uses the COIN series' programmed rules. Did that originate with the COIN games or does it have history elsewhere?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

al-azad posted:

Picked up Navajo Wars which is primarily a solo game that uses the COIN series' programmed rules. Did that originate with the COIN games or does it have history elsewhere?

It uses programmed rules. I wouldn't say the COIN series has any claim of ownership on them. Hell, B-17 Queen of the Skies and Patton's Best used flowchart based mechanics to control non-player characters, and they came out in the early 80s.

But Navajo Wars is a super great game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

al-azad posted:

It's not really anything like COIN beyond the superficial 'flip a card a turn' mechanism. The way that the orders are done for the AI is completely original AFAIK and although the cards allow you to do a certain number of actions, they are distinct enough from operations in COIN.

COIN, however, is a side development of a Card Driven Game (like, for example, Twilight Struggle etc). You can see the evolution in Labyrinth (which is a terrible game), which mixes innovations found in COIN while still using the card system from Twilight Struggle.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

What I'm talking about are the flow charts which tell you how the enemy moves, I've only seen them in COIN games. My only experience with solo games is Ambush where you annoyingly check a little sliding folder every hex like an Ovaltine code ring, I guess you would call that pre-programmed? I'm certainly happier with flow charts.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

Think of it as 30% of an expansion pack to Codenames for the price of a full game. Instead of adding more multivalent words to Codenames, it adds a bunch of words whose "other" meanings are rude, making them half as good as regular Codenames words for regular play. It also adds straight-up rude words.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

al-azad posted:

Najavo Wars is a good game but man it's rough out there for the Dine.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

homullus posted:

Think of it as 30% of an expansion pack to Codenames for the price of a full game. Instead of adding more multivalent words to Codenames, it adds a bunch of words whose "other" meanings are rude, making them half as good as regular Codenames words for regular play. It also adds straight-up rude words.

Not even. There are throwaway words like orgasm and diarrhea but I don't know how you can't get plenty of leeway with nurse, alcohol, flesh, and peaches as compared to olive, whale, mole, and queen.

e: Just going by images on BGG, out of 126 cards shown the ones that wouldn't fit into regular Codenames are

wench
wang
vomit
freak
orgy
torture
udders
vibrator
cowgirl
wiener
penis
condom
skank
dick
bong
gigolo
orgasm
tramp
daddy
diarrhea
naked

So that's less than a quarter. Everything else fits into Codenames' generic verb, animal, location, thing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rutibex posted:

There is nothing wrong with rubber bands. Just don't wrap it around tight like you are garotting someone. The trick is to find the correct band, that is tense enough to hold it together but not tense enough to bend the cards.

But, enough about your sex life - how do you recommend storing Legendary Encounters?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

Not even. There are throwaway words like orgasm and diarrhea but I don't know how you can't get plenty of leeway with nurse, alcohol, flesh, and peaches as compared to olive, whale, mole, and queen.

e: Just going by images on BGG, out of 126 cards shown the ones that wouldn't fit into regular Codenames are

wench
wang
vomit
freak
orgy
torture
udders
vibrator
cowgirl
wiener
penis
condom
skank
dick
bong
gigolo
orgasm
tramp
daddy
diarrhea
naked

So that's less than a quarter. Everything else fits into Codenames' generic verb, animal, location, thing.

Just to use your cited examples: "peaches" are a fruit; "olive" is a fruit and a color. "Alcohol" is a noun with a single referent; "mole" is a noun with three referents (animal, tumor, spy). Do you see what I am saying?

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
FFG just announced another game.
This time it's a board game set in the android universe.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Tekopo posted:

Labyrinth (which is a terrible game)

Do you mean the Volko Runhke game? What is terrible about it?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

EvilChameleon posted:

It's a great game but some people don't like the randomness of dice rolling to perform actions

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

EvilChameleon posted:

Highly random, not terribly balanced, weird politics even taking it on its own terms

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

EvilChameleon posted:

The insurgents have to pretty much roll dice for everything, while the coalition/US do not. The only thing that the coalition has to roll for is the only thing that actually increases their victory margine, so loving up that roll can be incredibly annoying. Insurgents have some trap operations, while having other operations that perform the same function (and more!) which are almost impossible for the US to counter properly. The deck doesn't reshuffle all that often and thus has the problem that all low-reshuffle CDGs have. The game is questionable from a political standpoint.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Tekopo posted:

The insurgents have to pretty much roll dice for everything, while the coalition/US do not. The only thing that the coalition has to roll for is the only thing that actually increases their victory margine, so loving up that roll can be incredibly annoying. Insurgents have some trap operations, while having other operations that perform the same function (and more!) which are almost impossible for the US to counter properly. The deck doesn't reshuffle all that often and thus has the problem that all low-reshuffle CDGs have. The game is questionable from a political standpoint.

That's too bad, it seemed kinda neat. What makes the game questionable politically?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

It takes a pretty conventionally neocon-esque view of the war, then mashes it up through a mix of abstraction and detail, then forgot how to balance itself.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

Forgot to post the link
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/3/new-angeles/

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I mean, yeah, you could say the same thing about Twilight Struggle, but as I've argued before, there is a difference:

In Twilight Struggle, you don't have a choice but to go full hog for 'Cold Warrior' theories. In Labyrinth, the stance of the US can change from interventionist/non-interventionist, but non-interventionist is strictly worse, and thus it makes a political statement that non-interventionism is strictly worse. The equivalent in TS is if the US could potentially lose the ability to perform Coups/Re-alignments because it changed its political stance.

Twilight Struggle, even though it's a Cold Warrior's wet dream, is non-political because it doesn't postulate the theories as true, but just makes a fun game about what would happen if those theories were true. Labyrinth creates a playing field were, in order to win, you need to be interventionist, and then in this skewed arena, pitches in non-interventionism as well, laughing at it and saying "See, look, this is what would have happened if Bush hadn't been in power!".

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

At this point I wonder what they're actually going to announce at GenCon proper. Maybe it's just going to be All Star Wars All Day.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Shadin posted:

At this point I wonder what they're actually going to announce at GenCon proper. Maybe it's just going to be All Star Wars All Day.

FFG loves reusing art. Pretty much all the art in New Angeles gameplay picture is from netrunner cards.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

No NBN, no buy.

[edit] Nevermind, the cyber fox news are there. Still, it's a non-Netrunner Android game so no hopes anyway.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Has anyone played Hostage Negotiator before? They have a Kickstarter up for a stand-alone expansion and you can get the original game in one of the pledge tiers.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

al-azad posted:

You're lucky to have found a copy. The sequel, Comancheria, is currently scheduled for a Q1 2017 release.

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-517-comanchera-the-rise-and-fall-of-the-comanche-empire.aspx

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Has anyone played Hostage Negotiator before? They have a Kickstarter up for a stand-alone expansion and you can get the original game in one of the pledge tiers.

It's not amazing, because it relies quite heavily on rolling dice - but I still enjoy it and find it fascinating. The rules fit really well with the theme, and it doesn't outstay it's welcome. There's a bunch of play through videos on YouTube that should give you a clear idea of how it plays and whether you'd like it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Labyrinth was the game that made my friend hate everything GMT has put out and I really have to struggle to change his viewpoint. He looked at Cuba Libre and I could see the point where his spirit broke in two.

homullus posted:

Just to use your cited examples: "peaches" are a fruit; "olive" is a fruit and a color. "Alcohol" is a noun with a single referent; "mole" is a noun with three referents (animal, tumor, spy). Do you see what I am saying?

You know, you're right. I can't really argue against this and I don't even like Codenames enough to defend it. But the more I think about it the more the word list disturbs me and it's not because of vomit and diarrhea. There's something "squicky" about it more so than CAH's highly detailed sentences. Maybe it's because my imagination is running wild but I can't stop thinking about loving peaches and clams.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
For some time now I have been looking for a "pure" deckbuilder to add to my collection. For a while I owned Thunderstone Advenced, and never played it (because it sucks really bad). I like to play Dominion on my phone, so I have considered Dominion. But it just seems too daunting, you know? I'm a bit of a completionist, and getting into Dominion would dominate my board gaming budget for the next 5 years. I have Race for the Galaxy and love it to death, though it is not a "pure" deck builder. After some soul searching I came to only one possibility:

I decided on Tanto Cuore for a variety of reasons. It is in many ways the most mechanically superior deck builder, better than even Dominion. Reasons that Tanto Cuore is superior to Dominion are many:

1) Better Balanced Currency

These are the Tanto Cuore treasure cards. The are called "love" but they are functionaly equivalent to copper/silver/gold. Notice anything different? The cost of these basic currencies is increased from typical Dominion. Instead of copper/silver/gold being 0/3/6 Love is 1/4/7. Why does this matter? Because it destroys the "Big Money" strategy, there is no big love. It almost never makes sense in Tanto Cuore to just buy more silver until you win.

2) Modular subsystems

Dominion has a few weird cards that add to the normal kingdom setup (like platinum coins) but for the most part every kingdom will be the same ten piles. Not so with Tanto Cuore! Every set of Tanto Cuore comes with some kind of gimmick cards, that can by added or removed from the game at your discretion. The first set adds a market row of "private maids" in addition to the static kingdom. The second set adds building cards that are played in front of you instead of going into your deck. The third set adds special challenge cards, that are rather like the monsters from Thunderstone. The fourth set adds a really cool alternative scoring method in beer cards. You can play with one, all, none, or any combination!

3) Each set is standalone

Each of the four Tanto Cuore sets are entirely stand alone. That means you can buy Oktoberfest Tanto Cuore (if you buy one set, make it Oktoberfest) without needing to buy the base game. It also means that buying two sets automatically allows you to play with more players at once (more basic cards). Tanto Cuore sets also come in better boxes that are more easily transported than dominion.

4) Victory Cards are more interesting

Each set of Tanto Cuore comes with unique victory cards. Unlike dominion, where you will always be fighting over the same old Estate/Duchy/Provence you are going after a unique pair of "Maid Chiefs". Tanto Cuore has done away with Duchy's (because who the hell buys Duchys?).

5)Trashing is more interesting

There is a unique mechanic in Tanto Cuore that allows you to fine tune your deck called "chambering". This allows you to (at the price of one or two actions) place a card from your hand in front of you (so it no longer clogging up your deck). You still get any victory points for maids you have "chambered", however maids that are in front of you are vulnerable to attack cards like "illness" or "bad habit". It is an interesting trade off, do you keep the maids in your deck (protected) or do you chamber them and leave yourself open to attack?

6)The theme/art is better

Anime maids might not be your thing, but the theme really is fairly harmless. I have already played a few games of Oktoberfest Tanto Cuore with my frat boy neighbors, and they love the game. Most of the card games I show them turn them off right away, they think its a "nerd game". But not Oktoberfest Tanto Cuore! Scoring with big breasted drunken German women was the push they needed to get away from playing rear end in a top hat with a deck of cards. Incidentally, if you find the themes in Tanto Cuore to be objectionable you might not have as much of a problem with the Oktoberfest edition. All of the women in the Oktoberfest edition are fairly well clothed, there are no upskirt panty shots, and there is no obvious pedo bait in the set. They have "cleaned up" their act a bit so to speak. A feminist might not like the set, but you could feel comfortable giving it to your dad as a gift.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 4, 2016

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

gently caress off, idiot.

edit:

quote:

Each set of Tanto Cuore comes with unique victory cards. Unlike dominion where you will always be fighting over the same old Estate/Duchy/Provence you are going after a unique pair of "Maid Chiefs". Tanto Cuore has done away with Duchy's (because who they hell buys Duchys?).

Truly the sign of a master of Dominion strategy.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Lord Frisk posted:

I bag all faction pieces together, all support tokens together, and all control tokens together. There is also a bag for miscellaneous pieces. Works for literally every COIN.

That works, but I'm really in love with this little organizer for Fire in the Lake. I hate emptying out every baggie on the table or having them all over when I'm playing.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Rutibex posted:

6)The theme/art is better

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Each time Rutibex makes a proper post (not the day-to-day trolling) I keep being amazed he manages to top the previous ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i think you guys are getting trolled hard