Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lo carb Lo Pan
Oct 8, 2004

JustJeff88 posted:

Wow, there's a thing that I haven't heard mentioned or thought about in ages which both really takes me back and makes me feel old. I still have a perfectly functional Atari 7800 that uses that type of connection, but I no longer have a television to which to hook it up.

I keep a VCR for the sole purpose of hooking up my 7800 and possibly the NX now. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i don't think nx will sell the handset and dock separately at least at launch. the marketing has to be as simple as possible so they don't gently caress it up again. the dock can't possibly have that much cost in it anyway if its just an upscaler, charger, and hdmi out.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Launching at $299 and concentrating on Japan sounds like a good way to fart your way to Wii U sales.

The Shield is $199 with a controller right now, so if the NX is that same X1 chip it'd make sense to launch in that same area

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

A $200 console/handheld hybrid launching with that new Zelda would sell like crazy imo

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
if the nx is rf-only, then i hope you can mod it to output rgb and s-video as well.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Instant Sunrise posted:

if the nx is rf-only, then i hope you can mod it to output rgb and s-video as well.

imagine if the nx needed a 300 dollar framemeister to work on your tv.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Kelp Plankton posted:

A $200 console/handheld hybrid launching with that new Zelda would sell like crazy imo

At $200 I would probably buy it day-1 even if Zelda is the only launch title I care about.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they should just call it the Nintendo Zelda

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

How much would something like the X2 even cost compared to the X1? I kind of wonder if Nintendo is indeed not eating the cost on the hardware, but nVidia is instead, supplying the chips at or lower than cost to sell off inventory or as some kind of guarantee that they'll be able to sell more in future production runs for a profit (hell, maybe even getting a small bite of software sales in order to offset initial production costs.)

Like I kind of wouldn't be surprised if nVidia really wants a portable nVidia console for some reason, realizes they won't do it alone, and are looking to Nintendo to actually get it done. The Shield is a pretty cool idea but also like the kind of thing that will never, ever catch on without Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo behind it and maybe nVidia knows that?

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
Thread title still makes me :lol: every time I come in here. Thank you, tia

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the rumor/speculation is that nvidia is hurting from missing out on the console boom and failing to sell shields and is willing to give nintedo early access to a chip due for consumer electronics use in may 2017 based on their words and give them a signifcant deal on them. non consumer x2 chips currently are used by the automotive industry i think so they do technically exist already. i don't really buy it but here's hoping.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Boten Anna posted:

How much would something like the X2 even cost compared to the X1? I kind of wonder if Nintendo is indeed not eating the cost on the hardware, but nVidia is instead, supplying the chips at or lower than cost to sell off inventory or as some kind of guarantee that they'll be able to sell more in future production runs for a profit (hell, maybe even getting a small bite of software sales in order to offset initial production costs.)

Like I kind of wouldn't be surprised if nVidia really wants a portable nVidia console for some reason, realizes they won't do it alone, and are looking to Nintendo to actually get it done. The Shield is a pretty cool idea but also like the kind of thing that will never, ever catch on without Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo behind it and maybe nVidia knows that?

Fully answering that question would require information none of us is ever going to get. As others have said nVidia is probably accepting a miniscule profit in exchange for getting a toe back in the console market. If they are using the same fabrication process for the X2 that they did for the X1 then they should be able to produce it at a price that they and Nintendo are both willing to accept.

Hopefully nVidia is not trying anything too crazy in terms of design or attempting to use new fab processes, those are the kinds of things that hurt them with previous Tegra chips. That and they sucked at integrating a good modem which was necessary to sell to the smartphone market, since the NX won't have a cellular connection it's not a disadvantage.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So why didn't digital foundry buy a car, strip out the x2, and plop it in their Shield? They owe us that.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

greatn posted:

So why didn't digital foundry buy a car, strip out the x2, and plop it in their Shield? They owe us that.

they actually have one in their video but its set up for calculating gps and poo poo not for pushing graphics apparently. maybe they could do a collaboration with that ben heck guy to bodge it together.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

coffeecup posted:

Thread title still makes me :lol: every time I come in here. Thank you, tia

It's cute, but everything feels like a step down after the original "NX Gon Give it to Ya!"

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

JustJeff88 posted:

I still have a perfectly functional Atari 7800 that uses that type of connection, but I no longer have a television to which to hook it up.

Germstore posted:

It should still work with ANT in assuming TVs still have analog tuners. Might need an adapter if it's actually the two sets of prongs rather than coax, but RF is RF.

Sotogrande posted:

I keep a VCR for the sole purpose of hooking up my 7800 and possibly the NX now. :tinfoil:

Reading all of this, I just realised that I was thinking of another kind of connector. I have an LED TV and a huge old CRT (with a built-in VCR and DVD), and both of them have an RF connection as well as composite/component. I was thinking of an even older and more archaic adaptor called a switchbox that has a flat cable out of it that splits into two branches, each of which ends in a two-tined fork, which is what I think that Germstore was referring to.

My Atari 7800 is actually in my mum's closet a long way away, and there's only two games for it I still enjoy anyway.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

no touching kirbys genitals

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

no touching kirbys genitals

Looks like I made a trip to Japan for NOTHING.

Also, I've finally gotten the magazines I owned as a kid. Reading through the Nightshade strategy section is causing an overload of nostalgia. Nightshade was the coolest, you guys.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Do not touch Japanese Kirby.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

call it whatever you want. just no region locke. NONE!

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Real hurthling! posted:

the rumor/speculation is that nvidia is hurting from missing out on the console boom and failing to sell shields and is willing to give nintedo early access to a chip due for consumer electronics use in may 2017 based on their words and give them a signifcant deal on them. non consumer x2 chips currently are used by the automotive industry i think so they do technically exist already. i don't really buy it but here's hoping.

Nvidia is also still stinging from that lawsuit they just lost.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

JustJeff88 posted:

Reading all of this, I just realised that I was thinking of another kind of connector. I have an LED TV and a huge old CRT (with a built-in VCR and DVD), and both of them have an RF connection as well as composite/component. I was thinking of an even older and more archaic adaptor called a switchbox that has a flat cable out of it that splits into two branches, each of which ends in a two-tined fork, which is what I think that Germstore was referring to.

My Atari 7800 is actually in my mum's closet a long way away, and there's only two games for it I still enjoy anyway.

Right, as Germstore said back in the day there was the two-tined fork for UHF frequencies and later on there were just the twist-on coax connector, but it's still an RF connection either way.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
MCV has their own set of deep throats in the biz.

MCV posted:

The same sources confirmed that the Eurogamer report last week - which revealed that NX will be a portable machine that can be plugged into a TV and features a breakaway controller – is ‘100 per cent accurate’.

Game graphics will be ‘somewhere between a PS3 and PS4’, with Nintendo targeting an audience that sits between smartphone gamers and the more hardcore users of PS4 and Xbox One.

“It’s a nice bit of kit, a bit of a novelty, but a good one,” said one exec that has got hands on with the machine. “It won’t appeal to PS4 fans. Nintendo seems set on trying to upgrade smartphone gamers. That’s going to be a big job for the marketing department.”

If that's true, Nintendo's Blue Oceans strategy is still in effect.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

also popular rumor is that a new pokemon/mario will release in the first 6 months of the console. given the architecture of the system plus the strides in AR tech, a new Pokemon Snap would be excellent.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

MinibarMatchman posted:

also popular rumor is that a new pokemon/mario will release in the first 6 months of the console. given the architecture of the system plus the strides in AR tech, a new Pokemon Snap would be excellent.

no it wouldn't

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

MinibarMatchman posted:

AR is loving dumb

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

i want to die so i can turn into ghost and fly there and stay there forever!!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Wheany posted:

AR is loving dumb

And yet Go has insane market penetration.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Yorkshire Tea posted:

The AR display is the least compelling part of Pokemon Go. The success is the location-based gameplay.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I would love a new Snap but I absolutely do not want an AR one.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

DoctorWhat posted:

The AR display is the least compelling part of Pokemon Go. The success is the location-based gameplay.

A big part of the initial reasons why it blew up was "seeing pokemon in real life" and the funny images people took with the AR. Its a big part of the game you silly goose even if its not reponsible for the entirety of is success.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

The pokemon game will probably be some sort of "monkey paw wish Pokemon" i.e. some kind of offshoot non-mainline game, but I'm pumped about whatever Mario is going to be. I soooooooooooooooo hope it's some kind of exploration based 3D game ala M64. Some wild rear end galaxy type game would fine too.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

DoctorWhat posted:

I'd argue that location-based gameplay is AR as much as taking pictures of rattatas in laundry hampers.

This is a horribly constructed sentence please send a grammar tutor

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

PBS Newshour posted:

A big part of the initial reasons why it blew up was "seeing pokemon in real life" and the funny images people took with the AR. Its a big part of the game you silly goose even if its not reponsible for the entirety of is success.

A major part of its marketing success, yes, but not really part of why it's fun in the long-term. Don't get me wrong, it wouldn't have succeeded without it, but at the same time it's not actually GOOD. Plus it doesn't work on a bunch of devices.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Yorkshire Tea posted:

AR is loving dumb

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
AR, VR, whats next, RR? That stands for reality reality.. which we should be living in, but we aint, even without the VR and the AR because we are in phone reality, or computer reality.

drat these times!
I don't want Conker jumping on my couch!

e: this was an especially bad post and I can not apologize enough for it

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 4, 2016

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I'd be very surprised if the Mario game wasn't an October or November 2017 release as the pillar of NX's first Christmas.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 4, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
People say AR is not responsible for Go's success, but I think that depends on your definition of AR. The thing about being based on the real world map with stops from real world locations, I think is VERY much a form of AR, and very much responsible for its runaway success. If you just caught monsters sitting at your desk no one would care. If you limit your definition of AR to "character overlaid over video feed" I would agree that it's dumb and doesn't matter, but the map component is huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
That is true, ingress is called an AR game in all its marketing and it doesn't have any camera features like that from what I know.

• Locked thread