Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
FINISHED: Sam and Max Season 1 - Good games, nice puzzles, funny, I liked.

FINISHED: Sam and Max Season 2 - Good games, nice puzzles, funny, I liked.

NOT SURE: Sam and Max Season 3 - and this is where the series started going sour for me. I barely got through the first episode, the new gimmick didn't really seem to fit. I'm somewhere in the middle of the second game (with Sammus and Maximus) and for whatever reason just don't care. It's almost like a shallow imitation of the first two seasons.

NULLED: Shantae: Risky's Revenge - Never played this on any platform other than PC. It's obviously just a scaled up handheld game, with confusing controls and directions (pretty easy to get lost and there is a lot of backtracking.) The game itself is not fun enough to overcome this.

FINISHED: The Witcher 3 - Slow going at first (kind of like TW2), gets better once you are out of the tutorial area. Combat is meh (but much improved over TW2), the main quest has some nice moments, the sidequests are a weird mix of "more effort put into this than the main storyline" and "generic RPG fetch quest." Game has some weird pacing issues, one of the parts of Act 1 (rescuing Dandelion) takes longer than the final act. I haven't played the expansions, won't until they go on deep discount. I put several hours into Gwent and still don't get the love for it but I was never into MtG/Hearthstone.

DONE: Mini Metro - Cute puzzle game, got it in a bundle, would not pay list price. LYNE is still the gold standard for chillax puzzle games.

DONE: Kentucky Route Zero episode 3 - Disappointing. It seemed very short compared to previous episodes (and I put in more work to try to explore everything than before), and it came across as a lot more pretentious. I haven't played this game in three years so maybe I have nostalgia for the old games, and forget the long text bits kind of like how everyone forgets about inventory management in Mass Effect 1 until they replay it. Episode 4 better knock it out of the park or I'll just null the game and be done with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

BEATEN: Splinter Cell Blacklist - Honestly, I skipped all the cutscenes just to sneak around and knock dudes out so I don't really know what went on in the storyline. Always very disjoint where Sam goes from being super-badass to weirdly stumbling around like a drunk person though. Definitely a return to pre-Conviction roots and I would highly recommend. I don't think I killed anyone (as Sam) throughout the game.

BEATEN: Portal 2 - Fun, though some parts were slightly frustrating because they seemed to require precise timing of a jump launching off a ramp.

PLAYING: Big Pharma - One of my favorite puzzle/business sim games. I've already mastered all the advanced and below challenges, working through the rest now. However, I've kind of got it boiled down to a science and it's not quite as fun when the same strategy works pretty well no matter the overall objective.

ON DECK: Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut
- I played a portion of this right around release on 360, and never got around to finishing it. Now it's time to get augmented.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: The ABC Murders - Decent detective game. It's very clearly inspired by Crimes & Punishments but offers you no ability to decide the outcome of the case (it is based on a novel after all). As a result it fits somewhere inbetween a point n click adventure game (Microids' general milieu) and a visual novel. There are some puzzles akin to The Room that shake things up occasionally. You make deductions, but it's more like the earlier Frogwares Sherlock games where there's only one truth and not various theories to decide upon. So you're pretty much on rails. Considering Microids'... well, entire catalogue, this is probably their best game. Their least bad game. Nah I'll say it, it's a decent game like I said at the beginning. Microids' doesn't usually reach that height.

BEATEN: 1979 Revolution: Black Friday - Telltale-style game based on the Iranian revolution, the bloody events around it, a family that gets caught up in it. The visuals are very uneven, going from stylistically appealing to some horrifyingly low-detailed NPCs. The story is presented rather objectively although it's hard not to sympathize with the protesters. It's not a happy story, it doesn't have a happy ending, you should know that going in. Everything's hosed. Game mechanics... you can take photographs of things which then gives you the actual historical background on what you took a picture of. There are choices to make, of course, that can determine who lives and dies (maybe). There are a couple of quicktime events. Something fun is you find home movies at one point that are actual film footage of the family in the story. So it's not entirely bleak but it's what you would expect for the premise, the setting, the time.

BEATEN: Neon Struct - Minimalist stealth game by the developers of Super Win the Game and Eldritch. Like Eldritch it goes the 'programmer art' route (although the cubic nature of the levels means it has nice Steam Workshop support). You sneak into buildings, you read notes, you hack/deactivate things, you pickpocket guards, all that stuff. You have no offense other than distractions and scramblers. Not the greatest stealth game I've played but entertaining enough to buy on sale.

TOTAL BEATEN: 546/885 (61.7%)
NEVER LAUNCHED: 35 (4%)
BLACKLISTED: 140 (15.8%)

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jul 21, 2016

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

monster on a stick posted:

FINISHED: Sam and Max Season 1 - Good games, nice puzzles, funny, I liked.

FINISHED: Sam and Max Season 2 - Good games, nice puzzles, funny, I liked.

NOT SURE: Sam and Max Season 3 - and this is where the series started going sour for me. I barely got through the first episode, the new gimmick didn't really seem to fit. I'm somewhere in the middle of the second game (with Sammus and Maximus) and for whatever reason just don't care. It's almost like a shallow imitation of the first two seasons.
Ugh this. I have only 15 minutes in season 3 because of the awful new controls and mechanics. Also it ran terribly on my previous computer.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jul 21, 2016

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

You most likely needed a breather before starting the third game.

I'd say the third game is the better one of the trilogy with each new episode making Max getting newer, weirder powers that need to be cleverly used throughtout the game, while the story just kept getting more and more bonkers. The new controls didn't gel with everyone at first because they aren't classic adventure point and click, but it's just for walking around and you get used to it fast.

Try giving it a new try in a couple of months when you feel fresh instead of coming straight from the other two games.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

SinineSiil posted:

Ugh this. I have only 15 minutes in season 3 because of the awful new controls and mechanics. Also it ran terribly on my previous computer.

I forgot to mention this. Controls are awful - you used to be able to click somewhere on the screen (not necessarily the objective) and send Sam there, double-click would even get him running. Now you have to use the arrow keys/controller to manually move him, and I think it's even relative to camera position. Once you get into the second episode which has lots of geometry, climbing up/down stairs, you have to spend a bunch of time walking Sam over to the bottom of the stairs, then slowly up the stairs, instead of just "click at top of stairs and let pathfinding do the work for you" like every other adventure game.

Saoshyant posted:

I actually did take a breather of about a month, then took a breather in between episodes. I booted up episode 2 again last week and then remembered the awful controls. At least there is an LP.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Game has some weird pacing issues, one of the parts of Act 1 (rescuing Dandelion) takes longer than the final act.

This is the only part of the Witcher 3 I didn't like. It was made worse by the fact that on my own I went to Skellige and did everything there before coming back and finishing that quest. And what do you get at the end? He tells you to GO TO loving SKELLIGE.

Dammit.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Harmburger posted:

ON DECK: Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut - I played a portion of this right around release on 360, and never got around to finishing it. Now it's time to get augmented.

I got hot and spicy opinions on this game. If you don't mind being spoiled and having your view tainted by my whiny rear end the ending level sucks and barely ties in with the rest of the game. They didn't know whether they wanted the game to be about the aritificial crisis of Neuropozyne shortage or the artificial crisis of the bio-chip. The whole thing feels really rushed and cut down. There's other things more worth complaining about but if a story driven game's story isn't up to snuff I end up getting huffy and goony about it.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 21, 2016

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Yodzilla posted:

This is the only part of the Witcher 3 I didn't like. It was made worse by the fact that on my own I went to Skellige and did everything there before coming back and finishing that quest. And what do you get at the end? He tells you to GO TO loving SKELLIGE.

Dammit.

I would have liked a QT event to sock him in the jaw for all the bullshit I had to go through (in fact I'd pay cash money for that DLC, get to work CDP.) I know, He Is Your Friend because the game says so, but his voice actor makes him sound :smuggo:

MrSlam posted:

I got hot and spicy opinions on this game. If you don't mind being spoiled and having your view tainted by my whiny rear end the ending level sucks and barely ties in with the rest of the game. They didn't know whether they wanted the game to be about the aritificial crisis of Neuropozyne shortage or the artificial crisis of the bio-chip. The whole thing feels really rushed and cut down. There's other things more worth complaining about but if a story driven game's story isn't up to snuff I end up getting huffy and goony about it.

The game had pretty huge cuts, there was supposed to be a hub in Montreal and I think a second hub in upper Hengsha. So instead of a good ending level we got zombies because people like zombies, everyone likes zombies, moar zombies!

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Saoshyant posted:

I'd say the third game is the better one of the trilogy with each new episode making Max getting newer, weirder powers that need to be cleverly used throughtout the game, while the story just kept getting more and more bonkers. The new controls didn't gel with everyone at first because they aren't classic adventure point and click, but it's just for walking around and you get used to it fast.

Try giving it a new try in a couple of months when you feel fresh instead of coming straight from the other two games.
Yeah, the best wait period was probably how long it took between each Sam & Max game.
When #3 finally was released, most Telltale enthusiasts had probably already played Walter & Gromit, which was the first game, where TT tried a new control scheme.
People had kinda accepted that it would just never be the same again, since TT tried to make a classic point-and-click adventure game playable with a gamepad.

On topic, I'm nearing the end of the regular Witcher 3 game, and god drat it's just sooo good. Also agreeing on the need to punch him in the mouth, as I too had done most on Skellige before being told to go there.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Fart of Presto posted:

Yeah, the best wait period was probably how long it took between each Sam & Max game.
When #3 finally was released, most Telltale enthusiasts had probably already played Walter & Gromit, which was the first game, where TT tried a new control scheme.
People had kinda accepted that it would just never be the same again, since TT tried to make a classic point-and-click adventure game playable with a gamepad.

On topic, I'm nearing the end of the regular Witcher 3 game, and god drat it's just sooo good. Also agreeing on the need to punch him in the mouth, as I too had done most on Skellige before being told to go there.

I don't get why they couldn't have kept the old scheme, it's a lot easier.

Also
FINISHED: Kentucky Route Zero, part 4 - it's strange how a game can seem short (~2 hours) and long at the same time. There were some good moments, the obligatory music piece (not the theremin) was good, but I have no idea how this took over two years to make. I guess this chapter can be replayed because there are some mutually exclusive sequences, but not sure it's worth it. Overall I wouldn't recommend unless you really want an Art Game. If you just want southern gothic, pick up some Faulkner.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Two more! (e: AND another!) (e: no one else posted so I'll just keep editting this post)

BEATEN: Defunct - Remember the original trailer for Sonic 06 where Sonic was running super fast in a wide open area? This is that. I'll call it the best 3D Sonic on PC because Generations has some real poopy levels to go with some of the great levels. Short game, meant for playing fast (you may have seen it at Summer Games Done Quick earlier this month...)

BEATEN: Deadfall Adventures - Quatermain first person shooter! If you want that Indy feel, this game has it. It's fun. There's mummies, traps, a mine cart chase, Nazis, Russians, Mayan temples, artifacts, this has it all. It's by the makers of Necrovision but unlike Necrovision it's fun and well-designed.

BEATEN: Oniken - I BEAT IT WOW YES. Okay so this game had save problems so I had to beat it in one sitting and I did it. Holy poo poo this game is hard. This is my "pro gamer" achievement of the year so far. Back to less stressful, easy baby experiences for me!

BEATEN: Odallus the Dark Call - Castlevania-style game by the maker of Oniken. HARDER than Oniken, even with the upgrades you find. drat. It'll be nigh impossible for you to beat the final boss unless you can locate the level 3 armor and sword. Despite the difficulty increase, the game has amenities that Oniken didn't have. Levels are on a world map and bosses you defeat stay defeated, teleporters you activate stay activated, etc.

BEATEN/ENDLESS: Cargo Commander - I think I might have mentioned this with Pix the Cat, but I have a new policy with endless games which is to play the game until I either see all the curated content or feel like I got my money's worth. In this game's case, only the first day of the game is curated and after that there's no endgame and you just go to a bunch of generated seeds based on what's popular so that's where I can call it done. Beyond that it's basically just a highscore-chasing game.

PLAYING: Bionic Commando 09, Parallax, Meltdown, Zack Zero, Unreal 2: The Awakening

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jul 24, 2016

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Completed - Box Boy and Box Box Boy: Very good puzzle games for the 3DS. The first one is better than the sequel, but the sequel's bonus worlds are much more challenging.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The bionic duo:

BEATEN: Bionic Commando Rearmed - So, this game is very up and down. The swinging mechanics are as clunky as the original arcade game and the movement is really not super-fun. The shooting is.. disasterous. But the bosses are fun, the general mood of the game has a silly campy flair, and I like the truck encounters where the game becomes an homage to the original Commando (in the US, Bionic Commando is considered the sequel to Commando). Later levels become almost disasterously terrible. The last level... ugh.

BEATEN: Bionic Commando 2009 - Back then, Rearmed was championed as the better game of the two. WRONG. WRONG WRONG WRONG. Bionic Commando 09 is GREAT and so much better than Rearmed. For starters, the movement is loving fantastic and the combat abilities with the arm give you so many options for dealing with enemies. The levels are plentiful but short, offering plenty of fun set pieces as well as plenty of free swinging. Probably the best feeling swinging game I've played, gently caress you Spiderman. The only two knocks against it are an anticlimactic ending and a couple of the mech enemies being annoying to deal with. Very very good.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Quest For Glory II posted:

anticlimactic ending

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this the game where his arm is actually his wife?

If so... :psyduck:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this the game where his arm is actually his wife?

If so... :psyduck:

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
That's how it's reported, but its ever so slightly less dumb than that in-game. All bionic attachments are rejected unless you attune it to the host via the destructive personality upload of a loved one. This is still dumb but and it still fails to make the rest of the game hang together in any way but it's less dumb than it's traditionally stated.

ETA: This is also the one where they gave so few fucks that failing boss fights can replace the dialogue with obscenity-laden outtakes instead of the intended lines on replay, so it's got that going for it too

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Bought: KoF 2002 UM, Metal Slug X, Twinkle Star Sprites, Kof98UM, Shock Troopers, Metal Slug 1-3, Baseball Stars 2 - Humble NEOGEO bundle from last month.

Bought and Nulled: Devil Daggers - Minimalist shooter game. I played a bit of it, got to a high score of about a minute and decided to call it quits, at least for now. I really like the idea of the game, and it has a nice aesthetic, but it wasn't really for me.

New: Dark Souls 2 - Had this in my gift inventory but redeemed it. Still haven't gotten around to finishing the first one though.

New: Hotline Miami 2 - Received as a gift. Really enjoyed the first one so I will be giving this one a shot sometime.

Beat: Metal Slug - Still holds up pretty well, a bit trivial with unlimited continues. Great animation, didn't take too long to beat.

Beat: Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- - Maybe the best fighting game I've played since SoulCalibur 1 on Dreamcast. Beat Arcade with most of the characters, planning on doing it with the rest and checking out the Story mode later on. Also have been playing online occasionally.

Beat: Street Fighter V - Beat the story mode, now that it's out. It was alright. The fights were trivial for the most part and the story started out alright, but I eventually started to zone out and browse the internet during the cutscenes. The plot was campy and lighthearted, but all over the place.

Beat: King of Fighters 98 UM - First time spending much time with an SNK fighting game. Not bad overall. Played through the arcade mode, got a chance to tool around with a handful of different characters.

Beat: Baseball Stars 2 - Had some fun with this one, played a handful of games. Arcadey, but a nicely put together sports game. Apparently you can play a whole season, but the Steam version doesn't support saving the game--I have no way of finding out what that's like.

Beat: Banished - There's a lot I like about this game--I like that you aren't managing money, because citizens live completely off the land and its various resources. However, there are a lot of things that started to bother me after awhile. Roads have to be very precisely laid down, or citizens will ignore them completely to take a shorter path. Stone becomes a huge bottleneck... unless you start trading for it, in which case you'll get more of it than you'll know what to do with. Food is actually pretty easy to produce. In fact, most of the needs of the town are easy to meet. Thought about growing to 500+ population, but stopped short of 300 when my village got populous enough to cause me slowdown. Going to call that a win.

Null: Twinkle Star Sprites - Couldn't really get into this one. Didn't really like the art, or the gameplay.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

ManxomeBromide posted:

That's how it's reported, but its ever so slightly less dumb than that in-game. All bionic attachments are rejected unless you attune it to the host via the destructive personality upload of a loved one. This is still dumb but and it still fails to make the rest of the game hang together in any way but it's less dumb than it's traditionally stated.

:psyduck: What the loving poo poo? Now I'm wondering what destructive personality upload means exactly. What a weird idea.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Abandoned: Saint's Row 2: I found the second Saint's Row gameplay to be dated, but the biggest driver in giving up and throwing it into the pile was having to do repetitive secondary quests to unlock the actual story missions.

Abandoned: Star Wars: Empire at War: This is a bad RTS with bad building and unit control.

Beaten: Dishonored: I really love the industrial/magic setting and atmosphere. It a setting we don't see a lot. I went with a High Chaos playthrough, so I approached it more as a combat game, instead of a stealth one. I'll probably try for a Low Chaos run closer to the sequel's release.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

:psyduck: What the loving poo poo? Now I'm wondering what destructive personality upload means exactly. What a weird idea.

That was me trying to be helpful, I'm afraid, as opposed to quoting stuff in the game :ohdear: So, it's kind of a standard SF thing for people to upload their brains/minds/whatever into computers, right? So it's like that except it also kills you. Solves a bunch of otherwise super-annoying philosophical problems!

In other, more on-topic news:

BEATEN: The Witness. I didn't do all the things, even all the obvious things, but I did enough that it says I won, and who am I to argue? I'd say this is a good puzzle game but not an absolutely top-tier one.

IN PROGRESS: Mighty No. 9. Sunk Cost Fallacy ahoy! But then, this is the thread for that. I'm probably a good chunk of the way through the game, but a lot depends on how much game is left after the initial chunk of levels are cleared.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

MrSlam posted:

The game had pretty huge cuts, there was supposed to be a hub in Montreal and I think a second hub in upper Hengsha. So instead of a good ending level we got zombies because people like zombies, everyone likes zombies, moar zombies!

Agreed on both points. Definitely felt like a super lazy design decision(even if it was due to budget constraints).

It was going really well until the last level is all slapdash thrown together.

BEATEN: Deus Ex: Human Revolution: Director's Cut: I played stealth/mostly pacifist(I killed the guys in the start because I forgot about not killing them until halfway through the game). Fun, and enjoyable, though the last level got a bit slapdash. Though while it may have been cut, IMO they shouldn't have made it any longer, but perhaps just spread the themes from the end over earlier parts of the game. By the time the last level came around I was just cloaking and silently sprinting from place to place chomping down on snacks. If it had been much longer, it might have worn out it's welcome. That said, I've got 28 hours over the last week playing it, and it was a good time. Not about to start another playthrough though.

BEATEN: Jack Lumber: Really a phone game, and not a great one to play on PC as it's touch based, but fairly simple and easy to beat. A solidly "meh" game.

NULLED: FOTONICA: Though I can see it's merits, the sequence of memorizing levels and executing timing doesn't appeal to me.

NULLED: Anna: Extended Edition: Suggested on Steam Completionist, but I'm not going to play it as I'm a giant baby and hate horror games.

NULLED: Bet On Soldier: Awful 2005-era FPS with bad shooting mechanics and a super-dumb story. Not going to torture myself finishing it.(Or at least not until it's one of the last few games I have)

PLAYING: Viscera Cleanup Detail: Poked around in one level before, but newly suggested so I'm going to attempt finishing it.
PLAYING(still): Big Pharma
ON DECK: Blue Toad Murder Files, Thi4f: Both suggested by SC, but Thi4f runs right in line with the stealth-game sequence I've got going on. Maybe Dishonored after it?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Midnight Club II: Very fun, solid car handling and great cities to race in. But it gets real loving hard towards the end. Some of last few races have an absurdly thin margin of error, and since it's impossible to actually hold a lead winning relies not just on your own skill but also on your opponents crashing. You could drive a perfect run and still lose if the AI didn't crash enough times. It can get a bit frustrating sometimes but I did beat the whole game eventually. The script is horrendous, though, it's like the goal was to cram as many stereotypes into it as they could, and the endless barrage of insults from the other racers got a little obnoxious after a while. I mean I get it's the macho world of illegal street racing, but c'mon.

Bionic Dues: I like this game a lot. Arcen always allow themselves to go a little crazy which I appreciate. So you get weird enemies, like a bot with an enormous amount of HP that dies instantly if a bot standing next to him dies. Or a bot that, when aggro'd, alerts all other bots of his type in the level and they all come rushing towards you. Or a weapon with 50 range that shoots through walls. There's almost always an interesting situation going on, especially on the higher difficulties and with Ironman turned on. I won two games (Normal, then Hard/Ironman; but also had some abandoned attempts in between) and I'm not sure I'm ready to move on, much as I like making progress on the backlog.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Glare Seethe posted:

Midnight Club II: Very fun, solid car handling and great cities to race in. But it gets real loving hard towards the end. Some of last few races have an absurdly thin margin of error, and since it's impossible to actually hold a lead winning relies not just on your own skill but also on your opponents crashing. You could drive a perfect run and still lose if the AI didn't crash enough times. It can get a bit frustrating sometimes but I did beat the whole game eventually. The script is horrendous, though, it's like the goal was to cram as many stereotypes into it as they could, and the endless barrage of insults from the other racers got a little obnoxious after a while. I mean I get it's the macho world of illegal street racing, but c'mon.

The later game Midnight Club LA is even worse about this. I'd never played a game where the computer rubber banded so bad even as much as having them catch up after making them crash and racing perfectly. Infuriating.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Nulled: Infinifactory

This is a fantastic game. However, by the time intermittent sensors were introduced, I was at the point where planning and prototyping the solution was considerably more fun than actually implementing and optimizing it. It took me about 40 hours to reach that point, though. Highly recommended.

Nulled: Metro: Last Light

Meh. The good parts, where you're sneaking around in relatively open areas, are...not great, but about as good as I've come to expect from modern FPSes. The bad parts, where you have to stand your ground against multiple waves of fast, twitchy, dodge-happy melee enemies, are poo poo.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Unreal 2: The Awakening - How many people even remember the first Unreal? Apparently this game doesnt even have much of a connection to that one. It seems to be Epic's attempt at doing a Halo in the wake of...well, Halo (consider the time it was released). In order to play the game properly you have to turn on cheats and change the player speed so that you're not moving slower than paul blart on his segway

BEATEN: Rooms the Main Building - Port of a DSiWare game to Steam with bad English. It is a puzzle game where you direct a character through a series of rooms that can be slid around like sliding tiles. They add more mechanics from there, like ladders, teleporters, explosives, water, etc. It's not bad, nothing special either. I put this in the realm of "podcast game"

BEATEN: Tron 2.0 - I like aspects of this game and I dislike aspects. The lack of enemy variety is really a flaw. You have to seriously level up your energy/weapon efficiency for non-disc weapons to be useful. But the aesthetic is great and has made the visuals age better (though it still looks like a PS2 game a lot). The music is authentic to the original movie. There's light cycles, there's disc throwing, the submodule concept is well done.

BEATEN: Californium - Walking sim with really cool art direction, a sweet/trippy effect, a bit of Phillip K Dick influence to the story. The game has a narrator and honestly they add almost nothing to the game, I'd take it out really. Or make it less of a "character". More interactive stuff or things to read would be nice. It's a bit short so only get it in a bundle (that's how I got it).

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
IN PROGRESS: L.A. Noire I like the premise and the idea of a Grand Theft Auto detective game which feels and plays closer to a point and click adventure game. The graphics, music, voice acting and lip syncing are all great. But I am poo poo at it. I very often pick the wrong option in the "truth/doubt/lie"; when I think that a person is lying or hiding something, it turns out that they either don't or that what I thought would back my accusation that game would dismiss as irrelevant.... It's like I'm missing some core mechanic in the game in order to understand what it expects of me. And that's the part that I am mostly mostly interested in the game. The side missions and the action stuff... not so much. At least I am good at the clues gathering I guess.

IN PROGRESS: MIND: Path to Thalamus Enhanced Edition Weird puzzle game. Reminds me mostly of Antichamber so far, but it's not as unique as Antichamber was. Maybe the puzzles get less... chaotic later on. I got stuck on a puzzle where I couldn't understand the logic (or rather I thought that the game was expecting -- and explicitly pointing at-- something else) and it didn't help that there was a weird collision bug involved. Apparently, the enhanced edition introduced all kinds of bugs to the game.

Also, the game feels like a "walking simulator" with puzzles, but not as cool as one would have thought --considering that one of the main complaints for "walking simulators" is that there is no actual gameplay.

The story in the background and the narration are meh. You can get stuck in level geometry, and fall off bridges and cliffs (at which point the level will reset at a checkpoint).

The level design and look of the game fluctuate sharply. In the intro/prologue the game looks terrible. Later on it looks like someone's attempt at a decent Half Life 2 mod but with very repetitive use of assets. Some parts of the later levels look quite beautiful... a few weird effects and models aside.

The UI is also really weird. You press and hold ESC and a white box fills half the screen and if you keep holding ESC it fills the rest of the screen and you have quit the game. Also, the main menu allows picking "chapters" from whatever point in the game (even if you haven't reached them in the intended order).

Nulled: Safecracker: The Ultimate Puzzle Adventure It's all glitchy and buggy on Windows 10. I tried to play for a while in spite of the horrible flickering, but the game seemed like a dull version of The 7th Guest.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Nulled: Bahamut Lagoon (PSP)

When I originally played this back in high school, I was blown away by how different it was from the other TRPGs I'd seen. Deformable terrain, squad-level command, air support (in the form of semi-independent dragons)...

These days it hasn't aged so well. The main issue is just that it's slow as gently caress even in an emulator with a turbo button. And sadly, the things that it did well don't seem to have percolated into the rest of the genre. :(

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

AbstractNapper posted:

IN PROGRESS: L.A. Noire I like the premise and the idea of a Grand Theft Auto detective game which feels and plays closer to a point and click adventure game. The graphics, music, voice acting and lip syncing are all great. But I am poo poo at it. I very often pick the wrong option in the "truth/doubt/lie"; when I think that a person is lying or hiding something, it turns out that they either don't or that what I thought would back my accusation that game would dismiss as irrelevant.... It's like I'm missing some core mechanic in the game in order to understand what it expects of me. And that's the part that I am mostly mostly interested in the game. The side missions and the action stuff... not so much. At least I am good at the clues gathering I guess.

You would have to look this up but "truth/doubt/lie" weren't the initial prompts. It was like probe etc and most of the interactions make more sense with the original options.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Beaten: CRYPTARK

This game is fantastic -- a roguelite twinstick shooter where you infiltrate derelict alien starships to disable their still-active security systems so that they can be rapaciously looted for advanced technology and raw materials investigated in a sober, scientific fashion. The process of looking at scans of the derelict and planning your attack and loadout is as much fun as the actual shooting.

The game's still technically in early access, but honestly, it feels like a complete game as is. I'm counting "beaten" here as "won Campaign mode"; this is the default mode where you get a choice of ships to assault and can repair and rearm between them, but have to operate within a budget. I'm probably going to continue playing until -- at least -- I've also cleared Rogue mode, where you have no budgetary concerns but are limited to what you can scavenge, and ideally I'd like to collect all the xenofacts.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Bought: Rimworld. Could never get into Dwarf Fortress and this looks like more my level. Still complex and tough, people have all kinds of tips on what kind of colonist to take and where to go to give the best chance of eking out a living. I just pressed random and am seeing how long I can last with my young nurse, a healer and an 86 year old noble math professor who won’t do much of anything. I have the most random AI storyteller (controls which events happen and when) so I could get food raining from the sky or a massive raider party at any time, I guess. Fun game.

Played more: Sunless Sea. Put another day into this, making it about 50 hours spent. It’s quite amazing how many stories are still falling out of it. I haven’t actually bought anything with money for quest purposes and I still have plenty to do. The journal does kind of suck so I have a spreadsheet with available things to do, places to buy and sell, would-be-nices and for plotting my next trip and I think it works really well; it’s not the sort of game where you should sail out of port with only one thing in mind. It is slow and it’s probably not for everyone but I love it and if it’s cheap you should at least try it. One thing; it has permadeath, but it’s not a rougelike, I don’t fight unless I know I can make short work of what I’m fighting. The DLC might come out sometime this century, yet more stories for the Zee would be welcome after that, once you have a lot of trips under your belt, the same events start to come round a few times. Wouldn’t mind paying for it given the value I’ve had from the base game.

Played more: Euro Truck Simulator 2. Up to 56 hours on this. You can decorate your cabin now and I downloaded mods that add all manner of customisation options. It’s fun but I’m back to driving 400+ miles a week IRL so I can’t really face doing more in a game.

To-Do Get cracking on my Crusader Kings 2 game, because it’s great. Pick the Witcher 3 back up for the same reason, get into Starbound because that looks like the game I wanted Terraria to be and probably get Jalopy when that comes out.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Cortex Command: There are people who have gotten dozens of hours of fun out of this mostly sandbox game, but I'm not one of them. The slow and awkward ragdoll-based movement system killed it for me within minutes. The quasi-campaign allows you to tailor a lot of options to your liking before you start so I took the offer and tilted the odds overwhelmingly in my favor, as well as made it a one-battle shootout. I won easily and got the campaign beaten achievement so technically I beat the game. I also played through one of the twenty or so standalone maps/scenarios. All in all I spent about forty minutes on this game and don't at all feel compelled to go back for more.

Windforge: A Terraria-like with steampunk airships and flying whales. It's pretty thin on content (enemies, quests, items) and the movement is annoyingly floaty and imprecise, but it's otherwise okay. Oh I guess the fps also drops dramatically on occasion and the crafting UI isn't great. Took me 19 hours to beat and I don't regret playing it but it doesn't really engage you enough. Maybe if you like building airships, but building things has never been the main attraction for me in these games. I rolled with the starter ship throughout the whole game, only upgrading and modifying it as necessary.

I've also played a few hours of Receiver but ultimately decided to ditch it. The repetitive environments and constant need to scour every pillar or corner for ammo or tapes became boring very quickly, and the unforgiving nature of the game only exacerbated the flaw. I might have persisted if you could take more than a single hit. As it is I haven't managed to collect more than two tapes out of eleven before dying and I'm already bored with the game. I also have no interest in guns or the mechanical operation of guns, so that aspect of the game, which is a draw for many, is just a confusing chore. Game's just not for me I suppose.

Bit lost as to what to play next. Most of my backlog is now either intimidatingly long games (Age of Wonders, King's Bounty, Eador, Spiderweb RPGs, etc.) or notoriously difficult games (Teleglitch, Guacamelee, Pid). There are also a couple of classics which I've been strangely and embarassingly avoiding for far too long and I don't really know why. Someday I will actually play and - I seriously have no doubt - enjoy System Shock 2, but it's been three years since I installed it and I still haven't launched it... :\

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Glare Seethe posted:

Bit lost as to what to play next. Most of my backlog is now either intimidatingly long games (Age of Wonders, King's Bounty, Eador, Spiderweb RPGs, etc.) or notoriously difficult games (Teleglitch, Guacamelee, Pid). There are also a couple of classics which I've been strangely and embarassingly avoiding for far too long and I don't really know why. Someday I will actually play and - I seriously have no doubt - enjoy System Shock 2, but it's been three years since I installed it and I still haven't launched it... :\

King's Bounty is pretty fun, especially if you liked the HoMM games. I haven't finished it, but I enjoyed what I'd played of it.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Have you ever wanted to quit your job so you could focus on your backlog? When I go in for an interview for a new job they'll ask me why I quit and why there's a year long gap.

Glare Seethe posted:

Someday I will actually play and - I seriously have no doubt - enjoy System Shock 2, but it's been three years since I installed it and I still haven't launched it... :\

I'm right there with you. I like the themes, I like the atmosphere, I like the setting, but I can't be bothered to play it. What about a Let's Play? If I watch a Let's Play of it can that count as playing it?

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Eventually I got to the point with my backlog where I knocked off a lot of the shorter games on the list, leaving behind meatier titles... at that point I decided it was time for me to stop focusing on the meta-metagame of reducing my backlog % and start playing the "good games" on the list. Keeping track of it is still really helpful for me, but I guess now I'm no longer trying to race the percentage downward.

That said...

Beat: Moirai - Not going to say anything about this game, to avoid spoiling it. It's free, and you should play it. I think you can beat it in about five minutes.

(these were from awhile ago, but I forgot to update--)

Completed: Thomas Was Alone - Went back and got the last couple achievements for 100%. Not much of a feat, honestly.

Completed: Crusader Kings II - Clocked in about 40 hours this summer. Previously marked this "beat" after doing a couple Game of Thrones Mod scenarios, this time I did a couple earl->king runs in Ireland. The first such run I tried some pretty devious poo poo to get a genius member of my dynasty to be the heir (primogeniture), but he ended up getting put into a coma during battle, which later led to his death. Then I ended up with a really unfortunate child heir--the previous guy created the kingdom of ireland, but things weren't looking so good--I ended up inheriting the kingdom as a female who already had children not of my dynasty, which was most likely going to lead to a game over. The second time around I played on Ironman, played it safe and stopped trying to sloppily hand-pick my successor. I got pretty good at the thing where you invite someone to court, make them your vassal and press their claim. Ended up unifying Ireland with no real threats to my line, started chipping away at Scotland but got a bit bored, decided to quit while I was ahead. Lots of waiting around in the early game starting as an Earl. Very dense game, required a good amount of outside reading to figure out what was going on. Sometimes keeping track of succession laws and which titles were in danger of leaving your realm could get a bit confusing. Overall a fun and engrossing game, but it was sucking up too much of my time.

In Progress: Borderlands 2 - I have a file about halfway done with the game. It's an alright game. A bit mindless, and sometimes it seems like levels go on for a bit too long. Still, I'll want to finish it eventually.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Abandoned: Crypt of the NecroDancer - I'm really bad at this rhythmic roguelike. I simply can't progress very far into it without dying.

Abandoned: The Last Remnant - The protagonist is a super annoying JRPG cliche and I found the "union" combat system poorly thought out and the story uncompelling.

Abandoned: PAYDAY: The Heist - I didn't enjoy Left 4 Dead 2 and this game is similar to that, so after playing the first level I'm throwing it in the abandoned pile.

Abandoned: The Witcher: Enhanced Edition - I really enjoyed Witcher 2 and loved Witcher 3. The Witcher 1 though is to dated and complex for me to enjoy it or attempt to slag through it.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

dhamster posted:

Eventually I got to the point with my backlog where I knocked off a lot of the shorter games on the list, leaving behind meatier titles... at that point I decided it was time for me to stop focusing on the meta-metagame of reducing my backlog % and start playing the "good games" on the list. Keeping track of it is still really helpful for me, but I guess now I'm no longer trying to race the percentage downward.

That's the switch in mindset I need to make now, I think. I just really enjoy seeing that number go down and I like actually beating a game if I don't hate it so installing one of those 100-hour monsters is difficult. But one of the two has to give I suppose. I think I'm gravitating towards either Age of Wonders or the Geneforge series next. Actually the latter would knock off five titles off the backlog for maybe a 50% increase in hours compared to AoW so that's probably the smart play.

MrSlam posted:

I'm right there with you. I like the themes, I like the atmosphere, I like the setting, but I can't be bothered to play it. What about a Let's Play? If I watch a Let's Play of it can that count as playing it?

It would count for the purpose of removing it from your backlog but you'll have to deal with a twinge of guilt knowing you skipped out on experiencing one of the great classics for yourself in favor of a LP. If it was a lesser title I would say go ahead... but it's System Shock 2. We at least owe it an honest go. I have some theories on why I personally haven't gotten to it yet but they're all things I should be able to get over with a bit of willpower. I'm not giving up on it yet. It seems plausible that it will get a remake if Night Dive's Kickstarted remake of SS1 is a success so I'd like to play the original version before that one's out. That gives me a few more years...

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Glare Seethe posted:

It would count for the purpose of removing it from your backlog but you'll have to deal with a twinge of guilt knowing you skipped out on experiencing one of the great classics for yourself in favor of a LP. If it was a lesser title I would say go ahead... but it's System Shock 2. We at least owe it an honest go. I have some theories on why I personally haven't gotten to it yet but they're all things I should be able to get over with a bit of willpower. I'm not giving up on it yet. It seems plausible that it will get a remake if Night Dive's Kickstarted remake of SS1 is a success so I'd like to play the original version before that one's out. That gives me a few more years...

Yeah you're right. I gotta just play it. Night Dive's remake/Black Mesa is a trend I'd love to see blossom. I'm not even interested in super high definition graphics but I am interested in new generations of people playing classic games that are practically abandonware. Pipe dream of mine is that they remake Deus Ex with Human Revolution graphics but keep the voice acting and gameplay.

Yes, the glorious voice acting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kihGm4KfY7k

edit: I know Deus Ex Revision is a thing, but I'd still like to see it in DE:HR graphics

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 3, 2016

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

OhFunny posted:

Abandoned: Crypt of the NecroDancer - I'm really bad at this rhythmic roguelike. I simply can't progress very far into it without dying.

The character Bard is unlocked by default and takes out the rhythm component. Maybe give him a try?

For what it's worth, it took me a couple hours to get the rhythm down. Whether you want to make that investment is up to you, but the game has an excellent difficulty curve: every time I think something is impossible I figure it out soon after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

MrSlam posted:

Yeah you're right. I gotta just play it. Night Dive's remake/Black Mesa is a trend I'd love to see blossom. I'm not even interested in super high definition graphics but I am interested in new generations of people playing classic games that are practically abandonware. Pipe dream of mine is that they remake Deus Ex with Human Revolution graphics but keep the voice acting and gameplay.

Yes, the glorious voice acting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kihGm4KfY7k

edit: I know Deus Ex Revision is a thing, but I'd still like to see it in DE:HR graphics

"I'm not big into books" is one of the all-time greats, one of my favorite JCD one-liners. I like seeing classics re-released, but ideally I'd always want the original available alongside a remake, kind of like Double Fine's recent LucasArts remakes. Mostly for historical/archival purposes, but I'm also one of those stuffy people who tend to prefer the 'original vision/intent', at least for a first playthrough.

Like I'm a bit annoyed that the original Baldur's Gate games don't seem to be available anymore, it's just the Enhanced Editions. I never got to play them but don't want any of the new content or changes at all. On the plus side I've enough enormous RPGs in my backlog as it is, so whatever. And on that note, I got started on Geneforge and am enjoying it so far. Bit clunky, yeah, but interesting and fun.