Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Blaze Dragon posted:

And Necrom specifically, what they did with Alain's sister as Dark Necrom P was terrible.

It's kinda sad the only decent female Rider in recent years was in Wizard of all series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

I'd like to point out the director in charge of Ex-aid was also in charge of Wizard and Nininger.
Oh well. Kamen Rider had a good run. Guess we're back to a drought time.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Poison Mushroom posted:

Oh well. Kamen Rider had a good run. Guess we're back to a drought time.

Ultraman Orb is doing pretty good. I'm annoyed at two of the sidekick characters the female lead has but outside of them it's not a bad show if you want something more in line with modern Rider.

And there's always all of the other Ultra shows!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, but the writer of Ex-Aid is responsible for Lupin III Part 4, Jigen's Gravestone, and 6 episodes of Tiger and Bunny.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, but the writer of Ex-Aid is responsible for Lupin III Part 4, Jigen's Gravestone, and 6 episodes of Tiger and Bunny.

Yeah. I am willing to give Ex-Aid its fair chance, like most Toku. Like, Wizard I found tedious, but the only recent Toku I've ever totally given up on was Goseiger. I'm a total whore for genre television :gonk:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the director is perfectly willing and able to ruin it, even if every other person working on ex-aid is excellent. maybe he won't, though? perhaps he has had a change of heart and has given up his eternal war against the concept of joy.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

I'd like to point out the director in charge of Ex-aid was also in charge of Wizard and Nininger.

no!

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

I thought Wizard had good fighting choreography :shrug:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ignis posted:

I thought Wizard had good fighting choreography :shrug:

In a word

No

I've seen only the first episode and A Movie he was in and no

Wizard is a seizure he's not a fighter

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I think Wizard has some good poses. His "stand perfectly still and really murder the heck out of you" schtick would be really cool in a better show, kinda like those scenes in kung-fu movies where the old master puts one arm behind his back and blocks all incoming attacks with the other arm, while not moving any other part of his body besides like his eyebrows.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Now now, let's all give our half-hour Japanese toy commercial show a fair shot. Even if it is directed by the Japanese equivalent of Tommy Wiseau.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
Ghost's first half was super compelling to me, because they introduced as many toys as quickly as they could, just to get them out of the way so they could get into the proper plot.
And then after the first arc was finished, they just dragged their heels forever. Igor is not a villain that needed to be around for more than 5 episodes, the Demia project plot is nothing. And because they're dragging it out so long you start to see that their characterization of Takeru is super thin! They could have been doing a lot more with the character and it's mostly squandered.

The cast has good chemistry and it's got a lot of style, so I'm still comfortable saying I like Ghost a fair amount. But it's such a waste of

heh

potential

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
The Demia subplot has been so slow and low impact that I actually legitimate forgot that Igor was still around until I saw him show up in the preview for next week.

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

Eyegor has been waiting to do something for 20 episodes and he is finally going to do something.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
With the exception of some cool Alain moments here and there, Ghost has been really dull and tedious in its second half. I lasted until Infinite and the reveal wasn't good or interesting so I gave up. It was like a really lame version of Fourze Cosmic States resurrection. I don't think I'm missing out on much.

It's a shame because Alain is one of the coolest secondary Riders in a long time, but he's barely in the show. He's like the new Nitoh: a sweet Rider stuck in a bad series. There's just not enough balance in the plot. None of the characters beyond Takeru are allowed to do anything and Takeru has the personality of a rock. It's just not a good show and they've squandered all the potential of a solid first half.

Here's to Ex-Aid being fun and lighthearted. I really need that after Ghost putting me to sleep.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 3, 2016

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Killer Queen posted:

With the exception of some cool Alain moments here and there, Ghost has been really dull and tedious in its second half. I lasted until Infinite and the reveal wasn't good or interesting so I gave up. It was like a really lame version of Fourze Cosmic States resurrection. I don't think I'm missing out on much.

It's a shame because Alain is one of the coolest secondary Riders in a long time, but he's barely in the show. He's like the new Nitoh: a sweet Rider stuck in a bad series. There's just not enough balance in the plot. None of the characters beyond Takeru are allowed to do anything and Takeru has the personality of a rock. It's just not a good show and they've squandered all the potential of a solid first half.

Here's to Ex-Aid being fun and lighthearted. I really need that after Ghost putting me to sleep.

Alain is definitely Nitoh level, it's a shame he's not Chase level of secondary rider.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Burkion posted:

In a word

No

I've seen only the first episode and A Movie he was in and no

Wizard is a seizure he's not a fighter

I also disliked Wizard but Burkion please don't post like a complete moron.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I also disliked Wizard but Burkion please don't post like a complete moron.

Look, that first use all the forms with all the toys fight scene of his gave me a headache.

It stuck with me, so I guess it did its job, but not for any good reason

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Burkion posted:

Look, that first use all the forms with all the toys fight scene of his gave me a headache.

It stuck with me, so I guess it did its job, but not for any good reason

I know but it's just such a dumb argument, especially given how every few episodes of any rider/sentai will have a different director and they're probably also going to get whoever to do the bad cross over movies, to say "I saw two separate instances of this thing so I can safely say it never got good at this thing or did it well!"

That being said, while Wizard did have some okay fight direction here and there it was mostly just really boring CGI stuff like Water form and BIG HAND used in very boring ways.

It's like if every other W fight had REVOLVER GARRY being the thing that won the fight.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

http://zippy.gfycat.com/PowerlessRecentDog.webm

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I know but it's just such a dumb argument, especially given how every few episodes of any rider/sentai will have a different director and they're probably also going to get whoever to do the bad cross over movies, to say "I saw two separate instances of this thing so I can safely say it never got good at this thing or did it well!"

That being said, while Wizard did have some okay fight direction here and there it was mostly just really boring CGI stuff like Water form and BIG HAND used in very boring ways.

It's like if every other W fight had REVOLVER GARRY being the thing that won the fight.

Yeah you're right

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Wizard should have been more of a trickster messing with enemies with those spells that were literally only used for one episode, like Smell. Hell, we could have got Ant-Man style fights with Small. Water/Liquid fuckery was the most he ever did most of the time, and I'm trying to remember how many times he even did that.

I mean, Haruto should have been funnier and less self-serious in general. Shunya Shiraishi can be a funny man and Wizard was begging to drop more sick one-liners like Drive did.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Caphi posted:

Wizard should have been more of a trickster messing with enemies with those spells that were literally only used for one episode, like Smell. Hell, we could have got Ant-Man style fights with Small. Water/Liquid fuckery was the most he ever did most of the time, and I'm trying to remember how many times he even did that.

I mean, Haruto should have been funnier and less self-serious in general. Shunya Shiraishi can be a funny man and Wizard was begging to drop more sick one-liners like Drive did.

A blah main character and incorrigibly terrible secondary cast do not bode well for a good series.

Please ex-aid, be good.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Can we at least have a mod change the thread tag the moment ghost's final episode has finished airing - or even better, two episodes before that, since the last TWO episodes are going to be a commercial for Ex Aid.

Either a funny new tag or the games tag or something.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Caphi posted:

The saddest thing is that Haruto had (very few) moments of actual personality, and those moments were pretty cool: snarky, trolly bastard that still had some pretty understandable anxieties considering the stuff that had happened to him.

All of those are wasted because Haruto 99% of the time shows literally no personality at all, and that's a really big problem! Like, let's not mince words here, Decade was bad. Decade had no story. But Tsukasa was entertaining as hell, and him together with Kaito and some of the AU Riders and other characters made the show. I could forgive its mistakes because Tsukasa was hilarious, although by this point I'm entirely sure his actor knew because he seems to only get into awful series to bring at least something good to them (Decade, Wizard, Gold Storm...and Decade is far better than the other two). The entire cast of Wizard, with the exception of Nitoh, was bland and forgettable, and that included Haruto himself.

At least Ghost has a mostly good supporting cast, Makoto and Kanon excluded. But goddamn Takeru is flat and annoying. INFINITE POTENTIAL YOU GUYS.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i liked makoto when he was incredibly furious all the time

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh, and takeru was pretty good too when he was completely terrified of makoto due to being beaten to a pulp repeatedly

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Acne Rain posted:

Can we at least have a mod change the thread tag the moment ghost's final episode has finished airing - or even better, two episodes before that, since the last TWO episodes are going to be a commercial for Ex Aid.

Either a funny new tag or the games tag or something.

is it confirmed that they're doing that like they did with ghost

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Literally The Worst posted:

is it confirmed that they're doing that like they did with ghost

If after 10 episodes it turns to poo poo, can it be changed to shitpost?

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

It's not confirmed yet, we'll know for sure when the September summaries show up by the end of August

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

If after 10 episodes it turns to poo poo, can it be changed to shitpost?

i cant change it, i have to ask a mod

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/waninandayo/status/761226902472302593

:3:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The Drive/Ghost movie wasn't very good and I can't help but be disappointed at lack of a Donatello Eyecon for obvious reasons, but I guess I did get to look up a bunch of old Japanese actors because of it so that's kind of cool.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
It really wasn't very good, but at least they experimented with the format. And those two finally got married :3:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

V-Men posted:

It really wasn't very good, but at least they experimented with the format. And those two finally got married :3:

While the movie wasn't great I kind of hope they keep doing future Rider crossovers in this format from here on (as in, treated like a Sentai VS rather than two seperate stories that connect at the end), it helps things flow a little better.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

V-Men posted:

You mean, the best couple in Drive finally hook up? Congratulations, Gen and Rinna!

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
I just watched Surprise Future, and it just reminded me how much I liked Drive despite not liking the designs, hating the toys, and not being terrible interested in the premise. Compared to Ghost, which had designs and toys I don't mind (but still not my favourites), and a really cool premise, I just don't know how it all went south. Hopefully Ex-Aid might be good because again I don't like the design, toys or premise.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I do not get objections to drives designs.
He's basically a slim Autobot. And the car instead of a bike thing is a trivial difference unless you're thinking harder about the premise of kamen rider than probably even the writers are these days.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kamen rider drive is knight rider for the 21st century

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I was originally pretty cool on Drive's designs, especially since Gaim's somehow made the fruit samurai theme really work while Drive's looked more eclectic in comparison, but by the time Gou showed up I was totally down with the aesthetic.

• Locked thread