Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Godholio posted:

First off, think about how many countries in the world actually have something that could be called "a decently capable air defense system" then think about what you're asking.

I only have the vaguest of ideas on both of these tbh :v: I was sort of wondering where on the continuum from a Predator to a B2 they sit survivabilitywise nowadays, but I understand that it depends on what you attempt do with them and that getting into that is a bit dicey, so disregard, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

hobbesmaster posted:

Russian double digit SAMs are proliferating like mad so that's not quite as crazy as it would've been a few years ago.

Then again, in a "real" regional conflict you'd probably have a dozen NATO fighters saying "magnum" over each other as soon as a radar powered up.

loving Algeria has multiple S-300 systems, including some newer SA-23s.

granted every country that has them doesn't automatically have an effective networked IADS but still

but yeah the real question is "how many could effectively deal with the full spectrum of Western SEAD/DEAD/stand-off jamming capabilities," and that list is probably quite a bit smaller

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Godholio posted:

We've been able to do kamikaze drones since the 1940s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXlfiPejcrI

Edit: Hell, there's a fair chance I got this from this thread.

under no circumstance do you give this capability to a Kennedy

or any vehicle, really

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

VikingSkull posted:

under no circumstance do you give this capability to a Kennedy

or any vehicle, really

I like to make fun of the Kennedys as much as the next guy but at least they had the stones to volunteer for some insanely dangerous poo poo instead of getting some cushy staff job. Joe got blown up on the suicide mission you reference and John got run over by a loving destroyer.

Say what you will about their competence but back then at least the political clans shipped their kids off to the front. Mostly.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Godholio posted:

We've been able to do kamikaze drones since the 1940s.

As well as the converted 4-engine bombers, there was also a weird little twin-engine drone that they experimented with in the Pacific, the TDR-1.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Smiling Jack posted:

I like to make fun of the Kennedys as much as the next guy but at least they had the stones to volunteer for some insanely dangerous poo poo instead of getting some cushy staff job. Joe got blown up on the suicide mission you reference and John got run over by a loving destroyer.

Say what you will about their competence but back then at least the political clans shipped their kids off to the front. Mostly.

Yeah, Bush seniors record was pretty hardcore too. My how the apple has fallen far from the tree.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Smiling Jack posted:

Old Joe lost the wrong son, though - I'm sure if he could've made more offerings to Mammon to assure Joe Junior survived, he'd have sacrificed both John and Robert in half a heartbeat.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Old Joe had one of his kids fuckin lobotomized to keep her quiet guy did not give a gently caress

Always felt kinda bad for Ted Kennedy in a way, every single one of his brothers died young and violently.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

StandardVC10 posted:

As well as the converted 4-engine bombers, there was also a weird little twin-engine drone that they experimented with in the Pacific, the TDR-1.

Splitting hairs here, but drones that are man-portable, can be operated by one guy, can loiter in the air for an hour or so providing vital intel, and then suicide into something 1000x more expensive then itself with it's anti-tank warfare+fragmentation sleeve.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

The tech sure wasn't mature in the early 40's though.

That whole Operation Aphrodite/Anvil was a total disaster from start to finish, that literally killed more friendlies than it did the enemy.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Smiling Jack posted:

Old Joe had one of his kids fuckin lobotomized to keep her quiet guy did not give a gently caress

Always felt kinda bad for Ted Kennedy in a way, every single one of his brothers died young and violently.

There's a "so did his girlfriend" joke.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
From the "crazy ideas for nukes in the 50s/60s" file:

Nuke the oilsands

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So this game up in a chat and I'm pretty sure the person is either wrong or taking something out of context, but there's two one-off mentions in Wikipedia that the JSDF camo scheme (Type I and Type II) were Copied by China, the Type 1 apparently for experimental purposes, the second mention is less detailed and after some google searching I haven't found any other references.

The PLA has a decent amount of resources and funding and plus given some of the geopolitical tensions between the PRC and Japan I somewhat doubt the claim without further collaboration.

Does anyone know? I also see reference that at some point the PLA may have copied the camo scheme of the USMC but that seems more reasonable, if you want the best fighting force why not study the best fighting force (the Americans in general, I don't mean the Marines in particular)?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It's all CADPAT ripoffs anyway :colbert: :canada:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

priznat posted:

It's all CADPAT ripoffs anyway :colbert: :canada:

Canadian brother! Did we do it first?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

priznat posted:

It's all a bunch of green and brown blotches anyway :geno:

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
F-35A just officially reached IOC today, for whatever that's worth.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

priznat posted:

From the "crazy ideas for nukes in the 50s/60s" file:

Also, tanks.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

That Works posted:

There's a "so did his girlfriend" joke.

I was going to say, it wasn't for lack of trying on Teddy's part.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Raenir Salazar posted:

Canadian brother! Did we do it first?

Yeah, but then you abandoned it for an American product and scrapped the prototypes.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Speaking of camouflage, is the US Navy still using that weird (choice for sailors) digital camouflage uniform.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Yep. It works really well in the desert, too.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Godholio posted:

Yep. It works really well in the desert, too.

But they aren't using mirage camo :v:

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Secretary of the USAF declares the 76th hunger games open
http://www.af.mil/News/ArticleDisplay/tabid/223/Article/885496/air-force-declares-the-f-35a-combat-ready.aspx

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Reading about the F-35A IOC slapfight in D&D made me wonder; what's the anti-F-35? The program that came in on time, under budget, and proceeded to blow goats or otherwise completely fail to meet objectives in service?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

So the AGM-114 Hellfire we all know (and some people may even LOVE???) is capable of doing the whole LOBL/LOAL thing to fire from behind cover, etc.

This has led to the impression that its a top-attack missile. But there are some arguments to the contrary, with people implying it'll impact at like 15 degrees at max range when fired from a LOAL mode at near ground level.

I hope this isnt an OPSEC thing, but can anybody confirm that? Is the top-attack just a side effect of the flight pattern set before launch, or is there some manner of top-attack incentive taken by the missile during its terminal phase to ensure a more vertical-oriented impact?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Dandywalken posted:

I hope this isnt an OPSEC thing,

ROFL

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Forums Terrorist posted:

Reading about the F-35A IOC slapfight in D&D made me wonder; what's the anti-F-35? The program that came in on time, under budget, and proceeded to blow goats or otherwise completely fail to meet objectives in service?

Being on time and on budget, yet failing to meet objectives? It's a good question. The B-58 and B-36 managed to do everything assigned of them, but were only in service a short time thanks to technology changes.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Dandywalken posted:

So the AGM-114 Hellfire we all know (and some people may even LOVE???) is capable of doing the whole LOBL/LOAL thing to fire from behind cover, etc.

This has led to the impression that its a top-attack missile. But there are some arguments to the contrary, with people implying it'll impact at like 15 degrees at max range when fired from a LOAL mode at near ground level.

I hope this isnt an OPSEC thing, but can anybody confirm that? Is the top-attack just a side effect of the flight pattern set before launch, or is there some manner of top-attack incentive taken by the missile during its terminal phase to ensure a more vertical-oriented impact?

Nice try, comrade.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Where's OPSEC wizard when you need him?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Forums Terrorist posted:

If it's on time and on budget but doesn't meet objectives, it's probably not entering into service. Of if it's not meeting objectives, enough time or money will be dumped on it to get it to enter into service that it won't be on time and on budget anymore.

The A-5?

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Dandywalken posted:

I used to shoot individual infantrymen with them in GUNSHIP on my C64. Nick Cage taught me that trick.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I remember that launch mode in Apache Havok.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dandywalken posted:

Just try it out???

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Phanatic posted:

If it's on time and on budget but doesn't meet objectives, it's probably not entering into service. Of if it's not meeting objectives, enough time or money will be dumped on it to get it to enter into service that it won't be on time and on budget anymore.

The A-5?

How was the F7U for budget? Normally they'd try to fix things but it didn't have room for bigger engines.

F2A might work as well.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

LingcodKilla posted:

Where's OPSEC wizard when you need him?

Protesting FBI headquarters.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Forums Terrorist posted:

The actual anti-F-35 is a program that comes in on time, under budget and proceeds to knock it out of the park at every step of the way. So in that case, the P-8 Poseidon.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

Protesting FBI headquarters.
:chanpop:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Nyettttt!!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Forums Terrorist posted:

Nebakenezzer posted:

Being on time and on budget, yet failing to meet objectives? It's a good question. The B-58 and B-36 managed to do everything assigned of them, but were only in service a short time thanks to technology changes.

I'm with the guy that said anything that doesn't do the mission gets money dumped into it until it does and/or finds a new mission.

That said, basically any plane that had any radar computer or radar system before the advent of modern testing procedures and small digital electronics seems to have a horrible MTBF with lots of pilot store about how this or that never worked. This seems to be true whether its a radar alt or weapons radar with the F-111 stocking out as a recently published example on Tyler Rogoway's The War Zone. F-14 is known for this as well but again, infamously over budget. You could probably make an argument that any radar subsystem which actually was designed within budget probably didnt do the mission awesomely...but most that weren't in budget didnt either.