Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Why are you guys not watching the various youtuber made per-release civ6 videos right now?

Marbozir: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtCxBWzNJUw
Quill18: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_2uYOguayE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
It seems that when a scout gets killed the dog is spared. :unsmith:

Man I do want to play this right now.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Poil posted:

Why are you guys not watching the various youtuber made per-release civ6 videos right now?

Marbozir: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtCxBWzNJUw
Quill18: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_2uYOguayE

On that first vid, I see a city from a new civ not yet revealed, called Preslav. Quick google search tells me it's a Bulgarian city.

Or maybe it's a city-state.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 3, 2016

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
I like that the city states get their own icons just like the big civs, though the only ones I recognize so far are Toronto's maple leaf and La Venta's Olmec head.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

As much as I love the art deco thing Civ 5's UI had going for it, I do dig the age of exploration theme Civ 6 uses.

It would be great if the UI switched from Age of Exploration to Art Deco when you hit like, the industrial age, but alas.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Oh man, in the quill18 video, he says that Builders have the ability to 'harvest' a resource - removing it permanently for a one-time boost of resources. That's a pretty interesting new mechanic that I haven't heard mentioned before. It feels like it would be wrong to do it usually, but I bet there will be some kinds of slingshot techniques that depend on that. Or if a city seems about to fall to an enemy, you can screw it up by taking the resource away, in a scorched-earth style defense.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

It may still not be confirmation of official alternate leaders, but the language certainly seems to indicate mechanics are in place for Civs to have other leaders. (Apologies for the low-quality, this was from Eurogamer's video which had the opening menu shown off, and they only moused over Teddy briefly). "Rough Rider: American unique unit when Teddy Roosevelt is their leader."

(Stream is over! https://www.twitch.tv/firaxisgames)

Hogama fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 3, 2016

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I'm not surprised I always thought the concept of Leader Ability was a giveaway.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Gully Foyle posted:

Oh man, in the quill18 video, he says that Builders have the ability to 'harvest' a resource - removing it permanently for a one-time boost of resources. That's a pretty interesting new mechanic that I haven't heard mentioned before. It feels like it would be wrong to do it usually, but I bet there will be some kinds of slingshot techniques that depend on that. Or if a city seems about to fall to an enemy, you can screw it up by taking the resource away, in a scorched-earth style defense.

It seems to me that this keeps builders relevant later in the game by opening up tiles to be used for other purposes. Without Happiness being a limiting factor on growth, there's less need to keeping around resources once you've surpassed their benefit through buildings. If you've filled all of your tiles but suddenly need an Airport District/Wonder spot, I can see 'harvest'-ing a duplicate resource to make space for it.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

I'm not surprised I always thought the concept of Leader Ability was a giveaway.

The way Civ 5's Civilopedia was organised, it made it seem as though that a civ's unique ability was tied to the leader, while unique units were tied to the actual civ. It's a subtle distinction, and in the end pretty meaningless because civs only had a single leader, even after all expansions and DLC came out. It seems like it's a similar thing here, to my eyes

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kurtofan posted:

Eh. I'm still thinking it's just an effort by Firaxis to ascribe certain parts of each civ to the specific leader they've chosen and what are representative of the civilization as a whole.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

It's also a good way to keep that option open just in case you decide to make alternate leaders. Less work if you do.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

It might also be just hedging their bets in case they decide to add more leaders in the future without actually planning to do it, or perhaps they used to have plans for multiple leaders and ended up cutting it

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Grapplejack posted:

It's also a good way to keep that option open just in case you decide to make alternate leaders. Less work if you do.

I'm pretty sure it's this. It's easier for the future to build it in now and never use it than build a game where you can't use it but you really want to. Also, it may be for mod support, so when people make their Hitler mods, they can still be through the normal Germany, which is probably important to people who make Hitler mods.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Some footage from Arumba too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3djGPOn4GY

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
As speculated, Victoria's agenda is "Sun Never Sets" and she wants to have a city on every continent.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Hogama posted:

As speculated, Victoria's agenda is "Sun Never Sets" and she wants to have a city on every continent.

Islands map Victoria is in a real sad spot then :v:

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
They explained that they redefined continents so it's not just a singular landmass- the Pangaea map they're playing on still has several "continents" so I expect the same will happen for island maps.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Sets her up nicely for conflict with Teddy, given that his thing is being very touchy to people doing anything on his continent.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I really like the look of the overland map. The fog of war stuff looks fantastic. But I cannot stand how the interface looks. Like how it looks where you choose what to build in cities. Sooooo sterile and boring compared to the rich feel of the overland map.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Hogama posted:

That sounds like a massive weakness where she ends up with seven cities utterly separated from each other with all the disadvantages of borders with everybody and the wars that results in.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
On governmental transition: It's a smooth transition when you change to any government for the first time.
You will experience anarchy if you change back to a government you've been in at least once already.

(not completely finalized- they still want to test it more, but they're liking the system so far)

Also finally completely confirmed: Sean Bean is the Tech/Civic quote narrator.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Sean Bean confirmed.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
They confirmed that Sean Bean is doing the voiceovers for this game.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Pantheon costs don't scale with other Civs picking them.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Let's hope he survives until Future Tech.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Boudicca is a great general by the way.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Estadio do Maracana Wonder building. Sean Bean narrated.
(His Brazilian Spanish is rusty)

Hogama fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 3, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Leinadi posted:

I really like the look of the overland map. The fog of war stuff looks fantastic. But I cannot stand how the interface looks. Like how it looks where you choose what to build in cities. Sooooo sterile and boring compared to the rich feel of the overland map.

Fortunately, GUI stuff like this is usually pretty easy to tweak. It wouldn't surprise me if the city interface is not finalized yet.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

gently caress you Firaxis!!

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Rexides posted:

Let's hope he survives until Future Tech.

Then again, he could die in every tech narration and still technically be alive for the next. Day 1 Mod: Sean Bean dies after every narration bit.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

It might also be just hedging their bets in case they decide to add more leaders in the future without actually planning to do it, or perhaps they used to have plans for multiple leaders and ended up cutting it

Civ 6 is build to be easier to mod and that is one part of it

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

gently caress you Firaxis!!

Venice used to be a city state before becoming a full-fledged Civ, maybe it'll happen again :(

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

thelazyblank posted:

Then again, he could die in every tech narration and still technically be alive for the next. Day 1 Mod: Sean Bean dies after every narration bit.

I hope this is done by just playing the Wilhelm scream after every tech narration.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Kurtofan posted:

I thought she was poo poo. :colbert:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jay Rust posted:

Venice used to be a city state before becoming a full-fledged Civ, maybe it'll happen again :(

A number of cities were. Venice, Copenhagen, Seoul, Rio de Janeiro, Oslo, Dublin, Edinburgh, Vienna, Helsinki, Stockholm, Warsaw, Jakarta, Lisbon, and Marrakech were all originally city-states before they became part of fully fledged civilizations.

Here's hoping Jadwiga and Catherine de Medici can pick up the slack.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Resources like Stone can now be harvested (like chopping Forests in previous games) for a big one time boost.

City settlement eligibility still the same distances from Civ V, there's now a UI lens to show eligibility for settling spots (also shows how much water is available at a spot, which is important for early Housing)

Hogama fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 3, 2016

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Here's the link of the stream by the by

https://www.twitch.tv/firaxisgames

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Hogama posted:

Resources like Stone can now be harvested (like chopping Forests in previous games) for a big one time boost.

I'm calling this the Easter Island gambit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Nan Madol is an interesting city state.