Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Michigan's primary election is today. We are electing US House Reps to run in November, state reps and local county & township governments. We have 5 people running for county sheriff, and yours truly is on the ballot for county precinct delegate.

https://webapps.sos.state.mi.us/MVIC/ If you're from Michigan, you can use this to look at your local ballot before voting.

e: The Michigan Democratic Party launched a fundraiser today: donate $27 and we will send Donald Trump a copy of the US Constitution with your name on it. Link goes to act blue.

https://secure.actblue.com/contribute/page/mdptrumpconstitution

Congrats! We had a single democrat on the ballot for 3 delegate positions, so I wrote in me and Mrs. Doctor's names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Can't the Democratic Party stop this?

quote:

Tea party insurgent Art Halvorson has decided to run as a Democrat this fall in an effort to oust House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee Chairman Bill Shuster (R-Pa.), adding a new twist in the powerful lawmaker’s reelection bid.

The largely unprecedented move was made possible after Halvorson secured enough write-in votes from Democrats during the April primary.

“I’m deeply humbled by the coming together of voters in both parties for the critical, common goal of rescuing America from the corrupt career politicians who’ve betrayed our conservative values and sold us up the river to corporate lobbyists,” Halvorson said in a statement Tuesday.

Halvorson, a real estate investor and retired Coast Guard captain, narrowly lost to Shuster in April, 49.5 to 50.5 percent. It was a difference of 1,009 votes, but he conceded the race.

That’s a much slimmer margin than in the 2014 primary, when Shuster trounced Halvorson, 53 to 34 percent.

But Halvorson built plenty of momentum this cycle, seizing on reports of Shuster’s relationship with a top airline lobbyist. Halvorson also pointed to Shuster's fundraising from “deep-pocketed special interests” instead of small donors.

Halvorson began petitioning counties to accept the over 1,000 Democratic write-ins for his name in an effort to run in the general election in the fall.

After Pennsylvania declared him an eligible Democratic candidate — pushing out Democrat Adam Sedlock, who also mounted a write-in campaign but didn’t have as many votes — Halvorson weighed the prospect for weeks before making his final decision.

http://thehill.com/policy/transportation/290090-tea-party-candidate-will-run-as-democrat-in-bid-to-oust-gop-chairman

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Why would they? If his district is as deep red as the article says then he's blowing his own foot off.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Chokes McGee posted:

Why would they? If his district is as deep red as the article says then he's blowing his own foot off.

"democratic congressional candidate Art Halvorson said ... [generic republican talking point about hillary]"

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Nth Doctor posted:

Congrats! We had a single democrat on the ballot for 3 delegate positions, so I wrote in me and Mrs. Doctor's names.

You only need one vote, and I won by a landslide with two.

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
Good article from dk on ramping up of gubernatorial and state legislative spending in anticipation of 2020 redistricting: https://twitter.com/PoliticsWolf/status/760522006056042497

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Troy Queef posted:

And if you get a chance, look up some of the ads we're seeing (either on Youtube,or better yet if you have MLB.TV, select the Cardinals home feed of their game vs the Marlins tomorrow)--they're good and terrible.

mlb.tv doesn't show me ads, and in past years they showed a handful of web ads, not the local broadcaster. maybe you have the individual team package or whatever and it's different? i dunno

and that governor primary is gonna be lots of fun, completely contradictory polls giving three different candidates the lead, what seems like a hamfisted and oddly targeted ratfucking attempt by the Democrats against the most likely winner, the guy with the million dollar donor whos being sued by his alleged former sex slave, and I've read there's lots of nasty ads too

I'll write a preview of poo poo once i get home, it'll mostly just be poo poo out of daily kos elections but I'll browse rrhelections and take a look at green papers too. I'm west coast so i might not get it done before votes start getting counted but whatever

on the Florida front, I'm sure there are dozens of congressmen who are worse assholes then Grayson and i love his leftist trolling but i guess he's just too much of an arrogant rear end in a top hat not to go for the Senate, which based on him running well behind the statewide partisan vote in his safe blue district would be a losing bet even before all his dirty laundry gets aired out. apparently he's being a dick to former political allies in the service of trying to get his new wife elected in his old district. some California dem rep called him the Donald Trump of our party, which is a funny insult with a grain of truth

and i think the polling in that race is currently determined by name recognition, i doubt it has much predictive value

strickland is apparently a lovely rear end candidate, he'll need a big wave to win and would probably fare poorly in 2022 not that it's worth looking that far in the future

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

You only need one vote, and I won by a landslide with two.

I got elected to my county's Republican Committee in 2006 because my parents thought it would be funny to vote for me. It was really funny writing them a letter explaining I was a Democrat.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

evilweasel posted:

"democratic congressional candidate Art Halvorson said ... [generic republican talking point about hillary]"

Also:
"Consolidating the Democratic write-in votes was just the first hurdle, however. Now, Halvorson faces the challenging task of trying to mobilize conservative voters and communicating to them that he is running as a Republican on the Democratic ticket and would serve as a GOP member in Congress."

Why are Democrats so loving stupid? There is literally no reason to let him run under their banner.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Stop the person who won the primary from being the candidate? No.

Actually this PA election law isn't all that obscure, both state parties are more than well enough aware of it- because local candidates often try to win both nominations at once in order to avoid having any race at all in November.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Yeah it's super weird to hear people freak out about that. Does that kind of thing not happen everywhere?

e: I guess it might not, it's just I actually don't remember if there were any Dems running for my state house rep in the primary so I won't be surprised to see the Republican on both tickets. Again. It is probably less common for that to happen for the US House though.

Polygynous has issued a correction as of 02:08 on Aug 3, 2016

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Huelskamp , who got kicked off the ag committee for being a dick, just lost his primary.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
This guy is currently in 2nd place in the Missouri US Senate democratic primary.

http://fox4kc.com/2015/07/16/chief-wana-dubie-announces-bid-for-u-s-senate-from-missouri/

The Salem News Online posted:

Political activist and candidate for U.S. Senate Chief Wana Dubie recently visited the summit of Pike’s Peak in Colorado as part of, what he describes as, a vision quest. As a result of the endeavor, the Chief now claims in a release to The Salem News that he’s achieved a previously unknown level of transcendence and will be able to wield ancient wisdom if elected to represent Missouri in Washington.

“I feel very blessed to have given this new state of mind, but with great power comes great responsibility,” Wana Dubie reported to the newspaper. “I hope humanity will heed the warnings I’ve been told, and follow a righteous path. I fear electing those enlightened, such as myself, is the only chance we have to save the Earth, and the ballot’s last hope.”

Wana Dubie claims to have partially scaled the summit by foot, and ridden a tram the rest of the way. The sweat and exhaustion induced by the trip led to the vision, in accordance to the traditional sweat lodge method, Wana Dubie said.

The Chief explained that during his vision, an unnamed spirit guided him off the summit of Pike’s Peak and together they flew around the world, where all of today’s problems could be seen and understood.

The Chief said he learned many things on his journey, including that love is the one truth which connects human beings to one another, and that the fundamental problems of today are rooted in a mass identify crisis afflicting not only nations and peoples, but the collective mass of more than six billion individual souls. He said the only solution to this crisis is a radical self-acceptance of our personal faults, and equally vigorous forgiveness of others.

The Chief will be appearing on the Democratic Party’s primary ballot Aug. 2 as a nomination choice for the U.S. Senate. If nominated, the Chief will likely face incumbent Senator Roy Blunt during the November general election.

User Error has issued a correction as of 02:38 on Aug 3, 2016

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Hold up, things are looking bad for Huelskamp (reporters being kicked out of victory party=H has the poo poo scared out of him) but his district is huge and most of the results are still out. He might still win.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Evil Fluffy posted:

Also:
"Consolidating the Democratic write-in votes was just the first hurdle, however. Now, Halvorson faces the challenging task of trying to mobilize conservative voters and communicating to them that he is running as a Republican on the Democratic ticket and would serve as a GOP member in Congress."

Why are Democrats so loving stupid? There is literally no reason to let him run under their banner.

presumably it's a deep red district and nobody felt like running, so he hijacked the ballot spot through using the primary

it's annoying but the democrats had no intention of running a candidate there so whatever

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

thethreeman posted:

Good article from dk on ramping up of gubernatorial and state legislative spending in anticipation of 2020 redistricting: https://twitter.com/PoliticsWolf/status/760522006056042497

The Florida portion of the map isn't totally accurate. I mean, yeah, it'd be nice if we could get more Democrats in government down here, but the Florida Supreme Court is real pissed at the legislature continually trying to ignore our neutral districts amendments to the state constitution. They just redrew a few districts themselves, and I expect 2020 is going to get way less leeway than the constant sending the maps back that this cycle got. The maps are still gerrymandered but they're getting a lot better. poo poo, just look at Congressional District 5.

oystertoadfish posted:

on the Florida front, I'm sure there are dozens of congressmen who are worse assholes then Grayson and i love his leftist trolling but i guess he's just too much of an arrogant rear end in a top hat not to go for the Senate, which based on him running well behind the statewide partisan vote in his safe blue district would be a losing bet even before all his dirty laundry gets aired out. apparently he's being a dick to former political allies in the service of trying to get his new wife elected in his old district. some California dem rep called him the Donald Trump of our party, which is a funny insult with a grain of truth

and i think the polling in that race is currently determined by name recognition, i doubt it has much predictive value

Murphy has a shitload of ads playing right now that consist of Obama saying how awesome a guy Murphy is and that you should totally vote for him. I have yet to hear or see a single Grayson ad.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Cliff Racer posted:

Hold up, things are looking bad for Huelskamp (reporters being kicked out of victory party=H has the poo poo scared out of him) but his district is huge and most of the results are still out. He might still win.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd he's gone.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

User Error posted:

This guy is currently in 2nd place in the Missouri US Senate democratic primary.

http://fox4kc.com/2015/07/16/chief-wana-dubie-announces-bid-for-u-s-senate-from-missouri/

The universe that the Onion observes to generate their stories has finally fully merged with our own.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

if the democrats allow an open primary and write-ins then i don't think they have any recourse. if they do, i bet we'll find out soon

if the guy wins, he'll caucus with the republicans and presumably be a personal member of the republican party, and i bet in his reelection campaign he'd be able to win the republican primary. i bet his opponent gets a considerable advantage from having the R next to his name just from people who haven't been paying any attention who just vote for the R. it'll be interesting to see

results are beginning to trickle in from tonight's primaries; here's a :siren:preview sorta:siren:
daily kos elections primary liveblog
rrhelections primary liveblog

michigan
ap results

there's only six contested primaries between both parties among the 14 districts of michigan. four get some coverage somewhere, two in one gop-leaning district democrats think they could steal and one party's primary each in districts considered safe in november:

MI-01 - the upper peninsula and the northernmost part of the lower peninsula. it contains the second-most coastline of any congressional district, after alaska. it went for romney 54-45 but apparently democrats think they have some ticket-splitting presidential-level gop voters here
http://www.decisiondeskhq.com/mi-1-gop-congressional-primary/

the gop incumbent, dan benishek, is giving up his seat to honor his pledge not to serve more than three terms (reluctantly, i think i read). he's endorsed tom casperson, a pro-union republican. former state senator jason allen lost to benishek by 19 votes in 2010 and he's trying again; there's also a retired marine general who apparently has the money to outspend the real politicians named jack bergman. kind of an interesting cast of characters - and the geography is also of interest: allen is the only one from the lower peninsula part of this district, which contains more than half of the population

i get the sense casperson is favored but allen might have a path if bergman splits the UP vote. the trumpian outsider vote hasn't really won much in this primary cycle

at the moment the ap has this at 37-37-26 casperson-bergman-allen with 59% reporting; decision desk has 38-37-25 with 68% reporting

democrats think ex state party chair lon johnson can fundraise and campaign well enough to win, but he has to get past jerry cannon, who lost in 2014 and apparently isn't considered to be of johnson's caliber. johnson is winning 70%+ of the vote so far

MI-10 - the thumb. stretches down to the outer suburbs of detroit in northern macomb county. a 55-44 romney district, only two points worse than MI-01 but apparently considered much more straight-ticket republican; democrats aren't supposed to have a chance
http://www.decisiondeskhq.com/mi-10-gop-congressional-primary/

another gop retirement. some guy is running unopposed for that. the gop primary has a rich guy who moved here and immediately started campaigning and buying ads named paul mitchell, an actual state senator from here phil pavlov and four other people

at the moment the ap has this at 33-30 with 29% reporting;; decision desk has 33-29 with 28% reporting

MI-14 - a >60% black district combining part of detroit with some western suburbs. went for obama 85-14

john conyers is 87 and i guess people think he's getting senile because after 52 years in congress he's suddenly been almost losing primaries, including barely making it on the ballot due to signature gathering issues in 2014. this time around city clerk janice winfrey is trying. she's a real politician and might be able to exploit an opportunity. she's losing 60-40 right now, so i guess there was no opportunity

kansas
ap results
one competitive race here:

KS-01, the western 3/4ths of the state minus the wichita area. very rural, extremely republican
http://www.decisiondeskhq.com/ks-1-gop-congressional-primary/

tim huelskamp is a tea partier who got kicked off the agriculture committee because he and the establishment just don't get along. they've been throwing a lot of money at trying to kick him out of congress, in fact, but the anti-establishment establishment has arrived to defend him and a lot of nasty ads and poo poo have ensued. the establishment champion here is a doctor, roger marshall, who apparently pleaded no contest to running over his neighbor 'in a dispute'. local agricultural interests hate tea party true believers who won't protect their corporate welfare so it'll be interesting to see if they can overcome the advantages of incumbency

at the moment the ap has this at 57-43 for marshall with 23% reporting; decision desk has 59-41 with 59% reporting. huelskamp already kicked the media out of his watch party; his people told them they would call the cops on them if they didn't leave. so i guess the establishment wins again! paul ryan's job just got like 0.4% easier

missouri
ap results

the big story here is

MO-GOV

which will see the democrat attorney general, chris koster, who's expected to beat his primary opposition, face off against the winner of one of the most poisonous campaigns in recent memory

this is the one where the guy who went on to be ted cruz' campaign manager or something drove a candidate to suicide with a whisper campaign alleging he was a secret jew. it's also the one with unlimited donations, so catherine hanaway, the one who paid jeff roe to kill her rival, had raised $900K from one billionaire, rex sinquefeld, by the end of 2014 with plenty more since then. most famously, however, retired soldier man eric greitens, a former democrat by the way, got seven figures from a rich guy who has been very publicly accused of owning a sex slave for 13 years, and he's refused to return the money when directly attacked in a debate. there's also a rich guy, john brunner, and an actual politician, lt gov peter kinder, who got in trouble a while back for stalking a stripper

everybody except kinder has led in some poll or another in the last few weeks but i get the sense greitens is the favorite. for some reason, the democrats aired an ad against him - do they think he's their strongest rival, or is this reverse psychology designed to help greitens rally conservatives to his side? that's what greitens tried to do in his own counter-ad, i think

is the electorate still too ignorant to identify the opposition party's ratfucking, or will greitens come out better for it? tonight's results might be used to argue one way or the other but there's a lot going on in this race and greitens appears to be the slight favorite. people expect it to be close, though

at the moment the ap has this at 35-26-20-18 greitens-brunner-kinder-hanaway with 31% reporting; decision desk has 37-24-20-19 with 44% reporting. that billionaire must be pissed at wasting his money on the 4th place finisher

there's also some other races:

MO-LT GOV - russ carnahan is the scion of a missouri political dynasty, i think, but missouri lost a district after the 2010 census and this white democrat got hosed over in redistricting, losing the 2012 primary to a fellow democratic incumbent. they probably gerrymandered him a bit but missouri has been rapidly reddening and i think the white population has become more republican as the post-civil rights act realignment continues to play out across the country. this is his comeback attempt, i suppose; probably a good call to do it at the state level. he's expected to win his primary, and is up big in ap results. he's beating someone named winston apple.

mike parson and bev randles are the establishment and anti-establishment candidates in this one, it looks like. randles has that sinquefeld money and parson basically got dropped to the minor leagues after failing to do well in polling or fundraising at the gubernatorial level. parsons is up early in ap results. parson is currently winning 53-43 so sinquefeld looks like he's gonna go 0 for 2 today, amusingly enough

MO-SOS - john ashcroft's son jay ashcroft, a republican, is running for this. his likely opponent is a retired news anchor, robin smith. both are winning early

MO-Sen - jason kander and gop incumbent roy blunt are expected to have a general election showdown that's considered a potential democratic reach if an anti-trump wave emerges. both are winning early

the house races probably won't be interesting

washington
ap results

along with california, washington uses a 'top two' primary system where there's one primary for all parties and independents from which the top two candidates advance to november. louisiana does the same thing, but with the 'primary' in november and a runoff for the top two in december, which is why david duke will be with us all the way to november, much to the joy of the gop

there's some statewide offices that republicans apparently think they have a shot at winning, and the top-two format leaves open the possibility of an R sweep due to democrats fielding more candidates and splitting their larger share of the vote into too many fractions. it's probably more likely to be some D-D and mostly D-R races, i would guess

the big race, in which two democrats are expected to advance, is
WA-07 - seattle, one of the most liberal districts in the country

jim mcdermott, a veteran liberal or progressive or whatever, retired. the county commissioner doesn't have a ton of money but he's lucky enough to be named joe mcdermott, no relation. will he benefit from a fake incumbent effect? his most high-profile rival is one of the recipients of bernie sanders' endorsement and gigantic fundraising base, pramila jayapal, but her current state-level district only slightly overlaps with this one so she's got geography working against her. brady wilkinshaw is the other big fundraiser and apparently has more establishment support than jayapal but it doesn't sound like anybody has a huge advantage in that battle

everybody here's left-wing, but mcdermott's the closest to the median. interestingly, walkinshaw and mcdermott are both openly gay. two of these three are likely to make it to november, at which point i hope we see analysis covering who did well in which part of the district and polling suggesting who the odd candidate out's supporters will break for and all that good poo poo. i really don't have a read on who's considered more likely to win, but i suppose i'd guess mcdermott and jayapal

voting hasn't closed out here yet, although i think they use mail as the primary voting method in washington state so i think that can have the effect of dragging out the count since i think mail postmarked before the election gets counted, so things can trickle in over days. i might be talking out of my rear end here

---

so that was late as gently caress. looks like greitens is through, wonder how the democrats who made those ads against him feel about that

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Cliff Racer posted:

So I saw he's Kansas's First District Rep. Who beat him? Does this make the race competitive now? Any reason why this guy lost?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

axeil posted:

So I saw he's Kansas's First District Rep. Who beat him? Does this make the race competitive now? Any reason why this guy lost?

He was beaten by a standard, party line following, Republican (Huelskamp was an extremist- Tea party flavored representative.) If anything it makes the race less competitive, which is a pretty hard feat to pull off, seeing as the district is red as a beet. He lost for voting against ag subsidies in one of the few districts left where farming really is the main economic activity, along with partaking in generally assholish behavior that made leadership hate him and seek out candidates to run against him.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

I received 34 votes for precinct delegate. I needed one to win.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

thethreeman posted:

whats with the rocky mountain void

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Also, and I am sure those of you who are following dke's tweets are already aware of this, it appears that Kansas's senate majority leader, (who I believe is on the extremist side of the Kansas Republicans' bloody civil war,) has gone down in defeat today as well. In Democratic news one of their establishment candidates is behind in polling over in the 3rd district is currently behind a different candidate. That district was a possibility of flipping in an extreme wave year but is probably safe in all aspects now.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Update from Missouri: on the GOP side, AP has called Gov for Greitens, LtGov for Mike Parson and AG for Josh Hawley. This also means Rex Sinquefield-backed candidates went 0-3. For the Dems, everything was basically as planned: Koster won Gov, Carnahan took LtGov, and Jason Kander valiantly saw off the challenge of Chief Wanna Dube for Senate. Dem AG remains the only close race: with 56% reported Teresa Hensley (prosecutor from Cass County outside KC) is beating Jake Zimmerman (from STL County, forget what he was elected as) by about 4,000 votes, but KC and STL City/County votes are still being counted.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

I received 34 votes for precinct delegate. I needed one to win.

As in you needed one more, or you won by 33 votes? :ohdear:

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

axeil posted:

As in you needed one more, or you won by 33 votes? :ohdear:

In Michigan you used to need at least three people to vote for you to be elected precinct delegate. They changed that and now you only need one vote. I knew my mom would vote for me, so I would get two votes. I received 34 votes total.

But there was one write in receiving one vote, so that means they were elected too.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

DOOP posted:

whats with the rocky mountain void

nobody lives there

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Update: That KS-3 race I talked about earlier reversed itself and the electable Democrat ended up winning comfortably.

Meanwhile in Kansas:

some guy on twitter posted:

KS, where moderate Rs made push to oust Brownback's conservative allies: I count about 13-15 incumbent R legislators who lost primary today.
This came from the DKE twitter feed and is what SSP used to look like. I will forever mourn the kos merger and its dumbing down of Swing State.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
So moderate Republicans have had enough of Brownback's poo poo and are cleaning house of his crazy rear end in a top hat allies? It's years too late but good to see it happening.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Gyges posted:

The Florida portion of the map isn't totally accurate. I mean, yeah, it'd be nice if we could get more Democrats in government down here, but the Florida Supreme Court is real pissed at the legislature continually trying to ignore our neutral districts amendments to the state constitution. They just redrew a few districts themselves, and I expect 2020 is going to get way less leeway than the constant sending the maps back that this cycle got. The maps are still gerrymandered but they're getting a lot better. poo poo, just look at Congressional District 5.

Murphy has a shitload of ads playing right now that consist of Obama saying how awesome a guy Murphy is and that you should totally vote for him. I have yet to hear or see a single Grayson ad.

I think I saw one for Grayson's wife actually.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

In Michigan you used to need at least three people to vote for you to be elected precinct delegate. They changed that and now you only need one vote. I knew my mom would vote for me, so I would get two votes. I received 34 votes total.

But there was one write in receiving one vote, so that means they were elected too.

Well hey, congratulations then! :dance:

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
What are you going to do with that mandate?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

User Error posted:

Make fun of this guy all you want but he makes some pretty salient goddamn points. It's about time we had some crazy that was trying to do some good.

Shine on you crazy diamond.

e: Also lol Dubie vs. Blunt

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

oystertoadfish posted:

if the democrats allow an open primary and write-ins then i don't think they have any recourse. if they do, i bet we'll find out soon

if the guy wins, he'll caucus with the republicans and presumably be a personal member of the republican party, and i bet in his reelection campaign he'd be able to win the republican primary. i bet his opponent gets a considerable advantage from having the R next to his name just from people who haven't been paying any attention who just vote for the R. it'll be interesting to see

You think he'll actually try to mount a campaign to win the general against the actual GOP nominee? I doubt it, I bet he just refuses to campaign so the GOP can have an easy win and then gets rewarded by the party

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

User Error posted:

everything about this owns

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Civilized Fishbot posted:

You think he'll actually try to mount a campaign to win the general against the actual GOP nominee? I doubt it, I bet he just refuses to campaign so the GOP can have an easy win and then gets rewarded by the party

Do you really bet that? Want to put some sort of forums money on it?

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
Meanwhile, in Kansas...

NY Times posted:

Republican voters in Kansas rebelled against the policies of Gov. Sam Brownback on Tuesday, ousting his fellow conservatives in at least 11 state legislative primary races amid widespread angst about Kansas’s financial situation. [...]

At least six conservative senators lost their primaries, political scientists and local news media said, along with five conservative House members. Three more conservative House members were trailing moderates in close races. Other moderate candidates won primaries in districts where the conservative incumbent did not seek another term.

In addition, Republicans in one congressional district voted out Representative Tim Huelskamp, a farmer who had become a Tea Party favorite in Washington but had annoyed party stalwarts and been removed from the Agriculture Committee.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
Don't blame me, I voted for Dubie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corek
May 11, 2013