Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

im gay posted:

Hmm. That seems like a lot for talking to someone, I've never gained a heart by talking to someone yet. Thanks for the info though.

Talking to someone only works once per day, so you would need to talk to someone every day for 13 days to get 1 heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
Alternatively just run around and hand out coffee.

Edit: as well as talk to them. Apparently giving a gift doesn't count as talking.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

MMAgCh posted:

At least he doesn't smugly insinuate that his daughter is too good for a common farmer like a certain other dad in Stardew Valley does.

Man, Haley's parents are going to freak right the gently caress out when they get back.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
If you grow fruit trees in the greenhouse, do they produce fruit year-round or still only when in season?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

im gay posted:

Hmm. That seems like a lot for talking to someone, I've never gained a heart by talking to someone yet. Thanks for the info though.

It sounds like a lot, but in practice (unless you're following the most pedantic of guides) it's not. You will be planting/harvesting/mining/whatever and miss tons of talking time. You make up for a little time by spamming gifts but without the singular purpose of making everyone love you it's still a long road until you get max affection with more than your chosen spouse.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I didn't bother talking to people unless I genuinely wanted to see their dialogue. Just use their loved gifts to gain affection. It should stay maxed out once you get there.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Did CA take Dwarven scroll 2 out of the game?

On floor 30 I find scroll 1. On floor 40 I find scroll 3 :psyduck:

While digging I find scroll 1 at floors 25-55

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 1, 2016

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Tenebrais posted:

Eh, just looks to me like Pierre noticed his daughter had a crush and is trying to help. In his own way.

"Please, get this horrible reminder of my wife's infidelity out of my loving house!"

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
Wow, didn't know about the talking part... That's going to lead to having to talk to every villager I can as opposed to selecting the best gift for the person...

The older women are all exercising at the store when my character bursts in high on coffee "HI-ROBIN-HI-CAROLYN-HEREYOUGOMARNEY-DRINK-THIS-WINE-GLUGGLUGGLUG-EATTHESEPANCAKES JODI OMNOMOMOM-HURRY-UP-LIFE IS GOOD-GETLOST EMILY IT'S-NOT-1.1 YET GOTTA-GO-TO-THE-SALOON GOGGOGOGO"

Or at least it feels like that sometimes, with poor Dwarf all by himself since I don't go to the mines much anymore...

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Bad Seafood posted:

If you grow fruit trees in the greenhouse, do they produce fruit year-round or still only when in season?

Year-round. I planted the entire thing with cranberries and gradually replaced them with ancient and rare fruit plants.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Zephyrine posted:

That's a great idea!

Another reason I don't use Iridium sprinklers is they use up gold which I either have to farm or buy. Keeping in mind that my field is already covered by quality sprinklers.

Just buy them on fridays. Save your iridium and gold for crystalariums.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

New Leaf posted:

"Please, get this horrible reminder of my wife's infidelity out of my loving house!"

It's funny how Caroline is going "oh I wish Abigail wouldn't dye her hair purple" to random fellow villagers when she knows perfectly drat well that Abigail doesn't dye her hair and why it's naturally purple. Y'know, besides the fact Caroline's own hair is green and she's criticizing her daughter for having a weird hair color.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Frankly, this game was a lot more fun and entertaining when I just ran around and planted random things - you know, like your city-born character in the game would. The quest for tons of money is stupid. I'm drowning in cash and can't imagine what the gently caress I'd ever spend it on.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

New Leaf posted:

Frankly, this game was a lot more fun and entertaining when I just ran around and planted random things - you know, like your city-born character in the game would. The quest for tons of money is stupid. I'm drowning in cash and can't imagine what the gently caress I'd ever spend it on.

300 mega bombs and stones for staircases.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Are crab pots affected by the Foraging perks?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

No, sir.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Are crab pots affected by the Foraging perks?

Nope.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

So, what determines quality levels? Fishing skill, or is it just random?

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

So, what determines quality levels? Fishing skill, or is it just random?

All crab pot fish are of normal quality. Only the ones you find on the ground can have stars.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Zephyrine posted:

All crab pot fish are of normal quality. Only the ones you find on the ground can have stars.

Thanks.

There's still no reason to take the Forester perk, right?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Nope, still useless.

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

You can take Forester because it leads to the skill that makes normal trees drop hardwood

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's funny how Caroline is going "oh I wish Abigail wouldn't dye her hair purple" to random fellow villagers when she knows perfectly drat well that Abigail doesn't dye her hair and why it's naturally purple. Y'know, besides the fact Caroline's own hair is green and she's criticizing her daughter for having a weird hair color.

abby dyes her hair, nerd.

the person you're thinking of is jas anyway

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The Wizard fathered everyone in the village.

Including the playable character. That's right, Grandpa was an archwizard.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Nemico posted:

You can take Forester because it leads to the skill that makes normal trees drop hardwood

Being hard-up for hardwood does suck, so I can see that being useful. Especially because money is irrelevant by Spring 2, so who cares if you sometimes harvest two Gold forage items.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Thanks.

There's still no reason to take the Forester perk, right?

I have mixed feelings on this. By the end of year 1 I never bother to forage any more because it just fills up your inventory with low value fruits, berries and nuts.

Forester on the other hand has the skill that makes wood be worth 50% more gold and that can be useful for an early boost in gold. Likewise getting hardwood from regular trees is great but only if you actually plan to use large amounts of hardwood. For example by making a lot of cheese presses and oil makers.

I would say that if you are making a playthrough based on animal products then forester is better.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zephyrine posted:

I have mixed feelings on this. By the end of year 1 I never bother to forage any more because it just fills up your inventory with low value fruits, berries and nuts.

Forester on the other hand has the skill that makes wood be worth 50% more gold and that can be useful for an early boost in gold. Likewise getting hardwood from regular trees is great but only if you actually plan to use large amounts of hardwood. For example by making a lot of cheese presses and oil makers.

I would say that if you are making a playthrough based on animal products then forester is better.

You can get a pretty steady supply of Hardwood by cutting stumps in the forest behind the Wizards house. They respawn every day, unlike normal trees.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Rutibex posted:

You can get a pretty steady supply of Hardwood by cutting stumps in the forest behind the Wizards house. They respawn every day, unlike normal trees.

They do! But having to go there once a day kind of sucks. I'd rather just get the hardwood as a bonus while cutting down my own planted forest with an iridium axe.

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010
I went with tracker because it shows the locations of those little worm spots. Makes it easier to hunt down artifacts, which is about the only thing to do once money stops mattering. Maybe I'll finish that one day.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Well, I got a perfect rating from Grandpa! I guess that's that. I was totally expecting to not do perfectly.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Zephyrine posted:

Forager is amazing when you combine the guaranteed gold star with possibly of getting two of the foraged item and winter seeds. Those skills apply to Seasonal Seeds you make and plant. I ended up making insane amounts of money from growing Winter Seeds my first winter which allowed me to fully upgrade my barn and coup, upgrade a bunch of tools, buy some animals, and still had money left over to buy a poo poo load of seeds come Spring 2. Even if it falls off a cliff after that just being able to make a lot of money farming during winter was worth it.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
I don't know why it didn't occur to me before but having cooking cost stamina is a good way to both make stamina mean something late game (honestly, with all the skill-ups you get, who even needs the starfruit? Starfruit should be exciting to get, not a "thanks, cool, I guess" event) and make a reason for cooking products to actually be worth more than their ingredients.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Loren1350 posted:

I don't know why it didn't occur to me before but having cooking cost stamina is a good way to both make stamina mean something late game (honestly, with all the skill-ups you get, who even needs the starfruit? Starfruit should be exciting to get, not a "thanks, cool, I guess" event) and make a reason for cooking products to actually be worth more than their ingredients.

god no, we don't need more useless clicking in this game.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

limp_cheese posted:

Forager is amazing when you combine the guaranteed gold star with possibly of getting two of the foraged item and winter seeds. Those skills apply to Seasonal Seeds you make and plant. I ended up making insane amounts of money from growing Winter Seeds my first winter which allowed me to fully upgrade my barn and coup, upgrade a bunch of tools, buy some animals, and still had money left over to buy a poo poo load of seeds come Spring 2. Even if it falls off a cliff after that just being able to make a lot of money farming during winter was worth it.

Maybe it's me and my jojo affiliations but I always build the green house on the first Fall and then fill it with cranberries. That's something like 200.000 per season on its own.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Zephyrine posted:

Maybe it's me and my jojo affiliations but I always build the green house on the first Fall and then fill it with cranberries. That's something like 200.000 per season on its own.
If my game got wiped I would do the same. Community Center is bullshit.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

If my game got wiped I would do the same. Community Center is bullshit.

I did the community center the first time but since then I've always gone Jojo because I can't be bothered farming every single little herb, nut, berry, fish and animal product for every new game.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Even though I'm almost to the end of year 2 I'm embarrassed to say I only kind of understand how scarecrows work. I understand they give a radius of protections but is it like a wall? If I have scarecrows around the edges do I need any more scarecrows?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

limp_cheese posted:

Even though I'm almost to the end of year 2 I'm embarrassed to say I only kind of understand how scarecrows work. I understand they give a radius of protections but is it like a wall? If I have scarecrows around the edges do I need any more scarecrows?

Here's the exact radius:

You'll only need extra scarecrows in the middle of your fields if they're more than 16 squares across. Otherwise, edgecrows should suffice.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
How many new games have you done? I stuck with the community center for my second and was able to at least have it by the second day of winter, so only about a week of cranberry downtime.

I also took Lumberjack in the latest run and was pretty underwhelmed, it averaged out to about 1 hardwood per 3 trees but the drops were so inconsistent (one tree would drop 5 hardwood and then the next ten would drop nothing) it was always way easier to just visit the secret woods. This is anecdotal but Forester also seemed way harder to level up than Gatherer, maybe because you're missing out on a lot of XP without the double harvest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

limp_cheese posted:

They're coverage, not walls. Consider that a bird would have no reason to care about scarecrows completely surrounding the edges of your farm - even making literal walls - if the middle of your farm isn't under apparent watch.

On the flip side, you don't need scarecrows covering places you don't have crops.