Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I always liked how Dead Rising's Zombie Genocide achievement had you kill the population of the town you were in in zombies, 53,000 and change. Left 4 Dead had Zombie Genocider, which was to do the same thing but kill one more zombie than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I think it was Prototype that went one further and had an achievement which required you to kill the same as in L4D, plus another single zombie. :v:

Kiebland
Feb 22, 2012
I just played through Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens, and it's full of little things, but my favorite has to be how much detail went into the lightsaber users. Rey and Finn both just kinda flail around, Count Dooku has his dueling style, and so on.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

poptart_fairy posted:

I think it was Prototype that went one further and had an achievement which required you to kill the same as in L4D, plus another single zombie. :v:

Setting off some kind of genocide achievement reference war

http://deadisland.wikia.com/wiki/Zombie_Genociderer

Kill 53,597 Zombies! posted:

Originally this achievement started in Dead Rising Zombie Genocider Kill 53,594 zombies. (53,594 was the population of the fictional town)

One year later, Valve releases Left 4 Dead with achievement Zombie Genocidest Kill 53,595 Infected.
Dead Rising 2 responded with achievement Z-Genocider 2: Genocide Harder Kill 53,596 zombies. Two more games also has similar achievement Prototype Trail Of Corpses Kill 53,596 infected. and Rock Band 3 HOPO-cidal Maniac Kill 53,596 Hammer-ons and Pull-offs.
53,597 zombie kill achievement appears in 2 more games: Dead Nation Genocidiary Kill 53 597 Zombies and Dead Rising 3 Master of Massacre Kill 53,597 zombies.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

poptart_fairy posted:

Somewhere in this is an achievement named "Zombie Genocidest".

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
That Shadowrun bit reminds me: I think it was in Dragonfall that I found an administration console. I scoured the location pretty thoroughly up to that point, so I was surprised when I realised I didn't find any hint of an admin password in the level. So just on a whim I walk up to the computer and try:

quote:

Login: admin
Password: admin

Access granted.

Even in the cyberpunk bullshit future, people are still too lazy to change the default password. :allears:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Dragon Quest Heroes
if you attack a boss troll from behind, it has a fart attack that causes bedazzlement (pretty much blindness, all your attacks whiff for a period of time).

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

everything else probably whiffs as well

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Aithon posted:

That Shadowrun bit reminds me: I think it was in Dragonfall that I found an administration console. I scoured the location pretty thoroughly up to that point, so I was surprised when I realised I didn't find any hint of an admin password in the level. So just on a whim I walk up to the computer and try:

Even in the cyberpunk bullshit future, people are still too lazy to change the default password. :allears:

In your company's offices in deus ex human revolution, one employee's computer has a sticky note with their password written on it. Use it to get into their computer and you find an email reminding employees to protect their passwords better.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The Director's Cut for Shadowrun Dragonfall in that it has an entire ending for what happens if you decide the bad guy has a point and side with him, and while you miss out on a third of the final level, the ending itself is almost more fleshed out than any variation of the original ending.
Of course, it's a challenge in itself... because that ending requires you to 1v3 the rest of your team.

You can also, at that point, if you've collected enough information, tell the bad guy that this is probably a bad idea with unforeseen consequences (the above badguy ending makes this clear). Sadly instead of skipping to letting you pick an ending, he gets killed by his bodyguard who wants to go ahead with his plan anyway and the rest of the level continues as normal.

Meanwhile:
Shadowrun Hong Kong gives you an achievement for literally just physically punching the final boss, who is a god.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Diablo 3 has an achievement for that too. Unlike a lot of others there's no flavour or whimsy to its description. Literally just "Punch Diablo".

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mierenneuker posted:

Self-aware achievements are great. In Saints Row 2 one of the activities is Mayhem where you need to destroy as much as possible in a limited amount of time. Each thing you destroy has it's own score value but generally you want many targets instead of high value targets, because this increases your score multiplier and prevents the combo counter from timing out. Now the easiest way to pull that off is to destroy fences since each fence post counts as a separate target. You can just drop remote explosives all over a neighborhood, hit the detonator to destroy all those fences and rack up a big score multiplier. It'll also instantly draw a lot of police attention so you can start destroying their vehicles to keep the combo going.

The sequel Saints Row III has an achievement for completing all the Mayhem activities. It's called Fence Killa 2011.

Saint's Row 3 also justifies one of your first Mayhem missions by stating that you're going after a fence company. No, not resellers of stolen goods. You're going after a company that makes wooden and chain link fencing for residential, commercial, and industrial use.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Tales of Maj'Eyal also has an achievement called "Fool of a Took!"

To get it, you have to kill yourself as a halfling.

Sadly you cannot trigger this by being killed by your future self (though there's a different achievement for that, called The Way We Weren't, that says "You were killed by your future self, and thus this never happened").

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I don't like most "funny" achievements since they're usually just dad jokes or memes but mediocre FMV QTE game Press X To Not Die had a pretty good one: you unlock a gallery of production stills for beating the game, and if you zoom in on one of the girlfriend character with her top off you get an achievement called "Dude, Seriously?"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If you load up the 360/PS3 version of Metal Gear Solid 2 and find the secret codec conversation where Snake is jerking it to a pinup in the locker he's hiding in, you unlock "Snake Beater".

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

haveblue posted:

If you load up the 360/PS3 version of Metal Gear Solid 2 and find the secret codec conversation where Snake is jerking it to a pinup in the locker he's hiding in, you unlock "Snake Beater".

My first reaction to this was "Of course this isn't real. That would be ridiculous."
My second reaction was "Of course it's real. It's Hideo Kojima."

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Digirat posted:

In your company's offices in deus ex human revolution, one employee's computer has a sticky note with their password written on it. Use it to get into their computer and you find an email reminding employees to protect their passwords better.

There was one email in the Chinese Lab that read something like " in order to conserve bandwidth each employee is required to delete all but 4 emails".

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Your Gay Uncle posted:

There was one email in the Chinese Lab that read something like " in order to conserve bandwidth each employee is required to delete all but 4 emails".

You left out: "Note: this message counts as one of your allotted four emails."

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Each employee also gets an e-mail counting towards their limit reminding them that they are, in fact, nearing their limit.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

That was the level that sold me on the anti-aug side. You get the initial pitch from the pro-aug side from your boss at the start of the game and he goes on about how many lives are improved by the tech and how they are advancing the development of the human race. Very idealistic stuff.

Then you get to the facilities where they're produced and you have division managers telling their engineers to stop making the knee joints so high quality because he wants their customers coming in for "tune-ups" every year.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Guy Mann posted:

I don't like most "funny" achievements since they're usually just dad jokes or memes but mediocre FMV QTE game Press X To Not Die had a pretty good one: you unlock a gallery of production stills for beating the game, and if you zoom in on one of the girlfriend character with her top off you get an achievement called "Dude, Seriously?"

In Assassin's Creed: Syndicate if you kill a few horses you get an achievement called "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Bioshock 2 has a trophy called '9-Irony' for knocking the head off of any Andrew Ryan animatronic with a TK-thrown golf club. :haw:

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I just love how much of an amazing prick DOOM guy is. Little robot helping him giving him upgrades? Grab that loving upgrade and punch that little fucker. Need to disable a thing? loving punch that poo poo.
It's great.

I'm pretty sure the enemies know they are fighting a losing battle and are just fighting back for self defense.

Also the great butt rock that's rockin on while you commit war crimes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TontoCorazon posted:

I just love how much of an amazing prick DOOM guy is. Little robot helping him giving him upgrades? Grab that loving upgrade and punch that little fucker. Need to disable a thing? loving punch that poo poo.
It's great.

I'm pretty sure the enemies know they are fighting a losing battle and are just fighting back for self defense.

Also the great butt rock that's rockin on while you commit war crimes.

What makes it perfect is the first machine you have to carefully shut down step-by-step has DoomGuy earnestly poking and examining every inch of it trying to figure out what the gently caress the guy on the radio wants him to actually do. Then he just gives up and kicks it to scrap, and just straight-up puts his boot to the other two consoles when you find them without even trying to do it properly.

And locking you in a room with the Demons isn't a trap, it's a mistake. A grave mistake :unsmigghh:.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I always liked how Dead Rising's Zombie Genocide achievement had you kill the population of the town you were in in zombies, 53,000 and change. Left 4 Dead had Zombie Genocider, which was to do the same thing but kill one more zombie than that.

Not just in video games:

quote:

The 1000 Genomes Project ran between 2008 and 2015, creating the largest public catalogue of human variation and genotype data. As the project ended, the Data Coordination Centre at EMBL-EBI has received continued funding from the Wellcome Trust to maintain and expand the resource

quote:

The 1001 Genomes Project was launched at the beginning of 2008 to discover detailed whole-genome sequence variation in at least 1001 strains (accessions) of the reference plant Arabidopsis thaliana.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

No idea how the rest of it's gonna go but every time I see Harvey Dent in the Batman Telltale game I just cannot stop laughing.

It really makes me yearn for the Arkham Asylum aesthetic again though. But for everyone. I want everyone to be loving shredded, women included this time, I want the smallest anyone gets muscle-wise is Muhammad Ali sized.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The rest of them look like how you'd expect.

Just Harvey is inexplicably The Rock.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

The rest of them look like how you'd expect.

Just Harvey is inexplicably The Rock.

For anyone unaware, he makes Bruce Wayne look tiny.

Harvey Dent is like if you were watching Aladdin and for some reason Kenshiro is just in the movie too.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's apparently based on his voice actor, but I don't know who that is so :iiam:

Fakebacon
Nov 7, 2009
At the start of Doom, you can briefly see the DoomGuy's arms and legs without his armour. Even though it's only in the very first room of the game, they put a load of details into it. He's covered in scars, and has runes carved into his palms.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What makes it perfect is the first machine you have to carefully shut down step-by-step has DoomGuy earnestly poking and examining every inch of it trying to figure out what the gently caress the guy on the radio wants him to actually do. Then he just gives up and kicks it to scrap, and just straight-up puts his boot to the other two consoles when you find them without even trying to do it properly.

And locking you in a room with the Demons isn't a trap, it's a mistake. A grave mistake :unsmigghh:.

I interpreted it more as Doomguy closely examining it in a "so this is the poo poo that siphons hell energy and endangers all of humanity? Can I disable it just by breaking it yup I can"

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Calaveron posted:

I interpreted it more as Doomguy closely examining it in a "so this is the poo poo that siphons hell energy and endangers all of humanity? Can I disable it just by breaking it yup I can"

I am amazed at how much character they managed to get into Doomguy just through body language. Like the bit near the start while Hayden is droning on about what they did being for the betterment of mankind, prompting Doomguy to glance down at a corpse by his feet.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Well, I guess I'll just go fuck myself, then.
In the library level of Metro: 2033, a character reads the title of a book, Roadside Picnic.

Roadside Picnic is a novella by Soviet writers Arkady and Boris Strugatsky that heavily influenced the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games and, to a somewhat lesser extent, the Metro games. Due to the nature of Soviet copyright laws (or lack thereof), it can be read online in its entirety.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
The newly-released AM2R is excellent, but one thing I wasn't expecting was all the little control customisation choices. You can fully customise the controls on both keyboard and gamepad, but you can also specify whether you want separate buttons for aiming diagonally up and down (like Super Metroid), or a single button that you then choose up and down with the D-pad (like Fusion and Zero Mission). There's also options to have the spider ball function like the original Metroid 2 (down twice to enter morph ball, then down again to activate spider ball), or to use the aim buttons as either a toggle or a hold for the spider ball. No matter your experience with the Metroid series, you can customise it however is most comfortable for you, which is something more games should do.

It's also all-around a really fun game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Polaron posted:

I am amazed at how much character they managed to get into Doomguy just through body language. Like the bit near the start while Hayden is droning on about what they did being for the betterment of mankind, prompting Doomguy to glance down at a corpse by his feet.

Even at the very very beginning when Hayden's like "weeee can workkk togetherrrrr" and Doomguy's just like "gently caress outta here" to the monitor he's chatting through :allears:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TontoCorazon posted:

That was one of the thing I liked about the 2013 Tomb Raider game. After a while the enemies was actually afraid of Lara and at one point they even asked her to join them against the undead warriors on the island.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I went into Metal Gear Solid 5 already knowing the big twist at the end, so it was really cool to catch a few Bowie references early on and then realise the opening song was a COVER VERSION of a Bowie song

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mr. 47 posted:

In the library level of Metro: 2033, a character reads the title of a book, Roadside Picnic.

Roadside Picnic is a novella by Soviet writers Arkady and Boris Strugatsky that heavily influenced the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games and, to a somewhat lesser extent, the Metro games. Due to the nature of Soviet copyright laws (or lack thereof), it can be read online in its entirety.
This is one of those things where I rolled my eyes because it felt way too on the nose for me, but then I felt bad because my brain has been ruined by nerd media and it's probably a cool thing to find out for normies

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

2house2fly posted:

I went into Metal Gear Solid 5 already knowing the big twist at the end, so it was really cool to catch a few Bowie references early on and then realise the opening song was a COVER VERSION of a Bowie song

I'm really kind of sad that I'm just finding out about Metal Gear now. In the beginning of three there is person you report to, and of course his codename? Major Tom. Was grinning ear to ear. And when I saw 5's trailer with Diamond Dogs I was like this motherfucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Nude posted:

I'm really kind of sad that I'm just finding out about Metal Gear now. In the beginning of three there is person you report to, and of course his codename? Major Tom. Was grinning ear to ear. And when I saw 5's trailer with Diamond Dogs I was like this motherfucker.

As long as you don't take the series super seriously like some people do, MGS is really fun. My favorite bits are still the conversations about movies and snake's fear of vampires.