Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

They almost certainly decided to go with WWI so as not to catch the "you're copying Marvel" line, even though both characters' origins are in WWII. Even so, it's a more novel setting and offers the potential for a more complex kind of story since "complicated web of alliances, chauvinism, and the mechanization of warfare" has a few more shades than "good guys vs. Nazis."

I will be goddamn floored if they don't reduce it to good guys vs. we-swear-they're-not-Nazis. There are shots of faceless German goons in gas masks with machine guns in Amazon-land.

There's lots of novel settings in WW2 for Western media, just avoid the Western European front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The movie would have been way better if it was just Diablo trying to save Gotham after the rest of the skwad gets killed immediately, and a misguided batman hunting him while he figures out a weird dark magic plot

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I mean, all I'm saying is that, whether any one person likes it or not, the MCU has successfully replicated the distribution and story-telling model of comic books, where you have stories and characters that spread out over multiple films that all tie in together.

That they not only got it right, but are the first people to have ever seriously tried doing it, is a pretty cool achievement. There have certainly been MCU films that I didn't like much (first Captain America, both Thors, etc) but to say they're bland garbage is as empty a sentiment as can exist. Superhero comic books are not high art either, and the success of the MCU is an indicator that they're doing something right. At some point it becomes ludicrous to assert that millions of people "just have bad taste".

It's the same reason I'll never say that Katy Perry is objectively worse than whatever obscure psychedelic band I like this week.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

precision posted:

I mean, all I'm saying is that, whether any one person likes it or not, the MCU has successfully replicated the distribution and story-telling model of comic books, where you have stories and characters that spread out over multiple films that all tie in together.

That they not only got it right, but are the first people to have ever seriously tried doing it, is a pretty cool achievement. There have certainly been MCU films that I didn't like much (first Captain America, both Thors, etc) but to say they're bland garbage is as empty a sentiment as can exist. Superhero comic books are not high art either, and the success of the MCU is an indicator that they're doing something right. At some point it becomes ludicrous to assert that millions of people "just have bad taste".

It's the same reason I'll never say that Katy Perry is objectively worse than whatever obscure psychedelic band I like this week.

Is anyone saying the MCU isn't popular though?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

That they not only got it right, but are the first people to have ever seriously tried doing it, is a pretty cool achievement.

Universal and Toho want a word with you

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

precision posted:

At some point it becomes ludicrous to assert that millions of people "just have bad taste".

Can you draw me a bell curve graph to demonstrate this?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LesterGroans posted:

Is anyone saying the MCU isn't popular though?

No, but people were saying "Despite the MCU being extremely popular and liked by many people, it's garbage" which is a ridiculous position to take unless you're a smug rear end in a top hat.

Burkion posted:

Universal and Toho want a word with you

I really don't think they did it on the same level as the MCU, did they? Shared universe and crossovers are one thing, but what the MCU is doing goes way further than that.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

precision posted:

No, but people were saying "Despite the MCU being extremely popular and liked by many people, it's garbage" which is a ridiculous position to take unless you're a smug rear end in a top hat.

Not really. It happens to a lot of things all the time. food, sports, movies, TV shows.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

I really don't think they did it on the same level as the MCU, did they? Shared universe and crossovers are one thing, but what the MCU is doing goes way further than that.

Marvel hasn't actually done anything further than that.

The only thing they did was doing it on purpose from the get go. The simple fact is that Avengers was made first in 1948 only with better jokes.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

precision posted:

Both of the examples provided are also literally half a century old, one dead and one running on nostalgic reference and a recently successful soft reboot.

Marvel brought back the serial format in cinemas, and that's a cool thing.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

precision posted:

If I think 2 Broke Girls is bad am I a smug rear end in a top hat?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Neurolimal posted:

Both of the examples provided are also literally half a century old, one dead and one running on nostalgic reference and a recently successful soft reboot.

Marvel brought back the serial format in cinemas, and that's a cool thing.

Older than that.

The Universal Monster movies stretch back to the 20s, and Godzilla is 62 years old.

However, much like with most things, that does not invalidate what they did and how they did it.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Reading the reviews and the THR report on the behind-the-scenes turmoil, this sounds to me a lot like Fantastic Four.

Not that it's necessarily as bad, but: Director with a specific vision for the film that doesn't necessarily get the source material very well and likely wouldn't have been very good, but at least attempted to do something different from the usual superhero fare, reshot and recut by a studio that decided it wanted a more conventional superhero film, resulting in a film with obvious clashes of tone and intent that ends up being even worse than if either side had had complete control over it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

precision posted:

And yet BvS making $870 million doesn't count.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

computer parts posted:

I've never given an opinion on that film, as I haven't seen it, so I dunno why you're replying to me specifically about it. :shobon:

Hat Thoughts posted:

If I think 2 Broke Girls is bad am I a smug rear end in a top hat?

Are you saying it's bad or are you saying you don't like it? There's a difference.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

precision posted:

I've never given an opinion on that film, as I haven't seen it, so I dunno why you're replying to me specifically about it. :shobon:

I'm not replying to you specifically, rather to the type of person who commonly says "if popular then why bad?".

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

computer parts posted:

It didn't beat The Dark Knight.

So this is the height of movie quality, DC will be bringing to us in till we all die to robots.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

precision posted:

Are you saying it's bad or are you saying you don't like it? There's a difference.
The only actual difference is that in one situation I have to preface every post I make with "In my opinion". Anyways there's such a thing as an objective truth & 2 Broke Girls is bad. These r the facts of the world.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Hat Thoughts posted:

The only actual difference is that in one situation I have to preface every post I make with "In my opinion". Anyways there's such a thing as an objective truth & 2 Broke Girls is bad. These r the facts of the world.

but Kat Dennings tits

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tenzarin posted:

It didn't beat The Dark Knight.

I don't think anyone is disputing that TDK is more popular.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

LGD posted:

but Kat Dennings tits

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

If u are watching a bad sitcom with the sole goal of getting horned up u rly need to breath in deep & debride ur life(- J. Rosenstock 2014)

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
loving :aslol:

I'm probably still going to see this with the wife but at this point I expect the Suicide Squad animated movie will probably have been more coherent and have more bite.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
The only thing I want to buy from Hot Topic is my Reaper costume for Halloween

and i don't even want to buy that tbh

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Its like they combined Marilyn Manson and the Joker.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My wife has outgrown Hot Topic but she loves this version of Harley and will likely buy at least that shirt if not the whole outfit. She really identifies with the character.

I try not to think about what that implies about how I am or how she thinks of me. Things like that are probably why I do so many drugs.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

My wife has outgrown Hot Topic but she loves this version of Harley and will likely buy at least that shirt if not the whole outfit. She really identifies with the character.

I try not to think about what that implies about how I am or how she thinks of me. Things like that are probably why I do so many drugs.

Has she, now?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Noam Chomsky posted:

Has she, now?

They only go up to XXL

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

They only go up to XXL

:drat:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

They only go up to XXL

Doesn't Torrid still exist?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The only acceptable post credit scene for this movie would be a Will Smith music video.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Yvonmukluk posted:

So, looking at the reviews people have already posted in this thread, would I be correct in assuming Katana doesn't do much except look cool?
Oh yeah, Katana is in this movie. I forgot to mention her because she has zero presence.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I like how people call out Marvel for being 'bland mass market garbage' while championing the DC cinematic universe as it it wasn't just more poorly executed mass market garbage. Most film snobs get all 'plebs :smuggo:' over like art-house film or something. Suicide Squad is literally just focus tested mass market comic book punch em up blockbuster schlock, just without the charm and polish of the competing comic book schlock.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I prefer why, personally.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

precision posted:

The people who are saying the MCU sucks are either children or old people who are finally losing their memories. Before the MCU, I just accepted that Hollywood couldn't reliably produce good films. If a superhero movie came out every now and then, there was only a 1 in 4 chance it would be any good. I grew up during the 90s. Today, over the course of 8 years Marvel Studios has produced 13 movies that have all been decent, a few of which are great. Marvel Studios can produce good movies like BMW can produce reliable cars. I will be astonished if Doctor Strange is bad. If you went back in time to the 90s and told teenage me of the MCU, I would ask "have pigs flown to the Moon carrying vats of blue paint, too?"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kurzon posted:

I grew up during the 90s.

Oh sweetie I'm so sorry

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

precision posted:

Why this version, specifically? :confused: It doesn't even seem like it's the same character

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
An art house movie and a focus-tested movie contain the same number of particles. Structurally, there's no discernible difference.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

K. Waste posted:

An art house movie and a focus-tested movie contain the same number of particles. Structurally, there's no discernible difference.
The existence of movies is a highly overrated phenomenon

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So how about all the cast having some fun during the UK premiere?

https://twitter.com/SuicideSquadHQ/status/760913149772107776

https://twitter.com/DCTurkiye_/status/760903330260451329

https://twitter.com/bestofcavill/status/760937367700209664

And hey, at least Patty Jenkins liked the movie :v:

https://twitter.com/PattyJenks/status/760980058127339520
https://twitter.com/PattyJenks/status/760980940294422528

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Theoretically, we knew movies had to exist. It was observing them in a controlled environment that required years of work and billions of box office dollars.

• Locked thread