Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
gently caress reddit and all that, but the developer gave an AMA that was interesting.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/4tm6i1/i_am_tynan_sylvester_developer_of_rimworld_ama/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
A mysterious blight destroyed all my potted plants :mad: (All the crops outside had already been dead for a month due to a volcanic winter)

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

IAmTheRad posted:

Remember, when your skills get higher you can just make your guys dismantle and rebuild things like beds to get better beauty bonuses.

As in the reinstall button??

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!

THE MACHO MAN posted:

As in the reinstall button??

I typically dismantle my 'Good' quality or lower beds and rebuild new ones until they are all 'Superior' or higher. If I create a new bedroom for a colonist I usually build 5 or 6 wooden beds and pick the best quality one, dismantle the rest.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
If steel is so goddamn bad why is it the default building material?! STEEL FLOORS STEEL WALLS STEEL FURNITURE STEEL DOORS STEEL BEDS IT'S STEEL ALLLLL THE WAY DOWN. At least I didn't build my things out of straw.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jeza posted:

If steel is so goddamn bad why is it the default building material?! STEEL FLOORS STEEL WALLS STEEL FURNITURE STEEL DOORS STEEL BEDS IT'S STEEL ALLLLL THE WAY DOWN. At least I didn't build my things out of straw.

Straw would probably be less flammable

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
This volcanic winter that is currently on its third month is making things very boring.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Broken Cog posted:

This volcanic winter that is currently on its third month is making things very boring.

Yeah, some of those last way too long. Volcanic winter is one of the worst, tho I had a two season long toxic fallout once (gently caress you Randy :argh:)

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Jeza posted:

Because it's in alphabetical order.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Broken Cog posted:

Psychic drone followed directly by toxic fallout and volcanic winter within 3 days. Seems I missed the apocalypse or something.

My favorite scenario:
- Permanent psychic drone (it always comes out male which is a little weird but w/e)
- Mandatory traits of: Very Neurotic, Volatile, Psychopath, Pyromania

so I can justify the cheese of having a lot of characters with psychopath and the work speed bonus of very neurotic but it's also pretty fun to have everyone teetering on the edge of madness all the time :)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

fart simpson posted:

Oh god, I'm playing this for the first time in months as a rich adventurer scenario. My colonist is psychopathic so I'm killing everyone who attempts to join the colony so I can remain a hermit, but anyway a manhunting boomalope appeared on the map and I kept missing my shots. It was headbutting my and broke my left leg but I managed to get out of range and finish it off and the explosion was uncomfortably close. I'm in a rainforest, so the fire started spreading toward my wooden base and I was scrambling to build a small concrete firebreak to save my bedroom and stockpiles despite a broken leg and physical exhaustion as the fire spread closer and closer, and then thankfully a thunderstorm appeared and saved me when the fire was only 4 tiles from my buildings.

e: I died of plague about 3 days later.

"Patrol went up a mountain. One man came back. He died 'fore he could tell us what happened"

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Haha, the ex husband of one of my colonists just crashed into the middle of my base in a drop pod. The first thing that happens once he gets healed up is he gets into a social fight with my warden (his ex-wife)

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
I started with 3 ladies and 1 of em is constantly picking fights and going on food binges because she's the only gay in the village and is getting rebuffed over and over by the other two :allears:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It sounds like a BBC sitcom

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Wow, Rich Explorer is rough. Three tries and I haven't made it past spring yet. Seems like you just have to recruit the first couple of attackers no matter what or any minor injury can wipe you out.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
loving Nuclear Fallout or whatever went on for like 3 months before I just cheated and turned it off.

I gotta sell this shitton of sculptures damnit

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

This fuckin game.

I got this just the other day and holy poo poo someone basically made dwarf fortress with graphics and scifi accoutrements I never knew I needed. As soon as I saw I could freeze my stockpile and heat my bedrooms with the same cooler I was sold.

Some stories from my many games:

My first game ends with everyone dying of malaria and me sneaking a womans corpse out of her husbands bed so he doesn't have to wake up that way. He does wake up to some other corpses though. I haven't dug any graves so shes put out of the way in the dump, everyone is dying of malaria and I can't find the husband. I go looking for him and find him critically ill, lying next to his wife and "looking at the sunset". I am genuinely sad.

I make a team of psychopathic doctors who plan to set up an organ farm/tasteful armchair factory with a mating pair of domesticated grizzlies. Some mad max looking cannibal turns up to join us but gets incredibly depressed by how hardcore my kru is and after a raid ends up on the operating table and I start replacing bits of him, some needed and some not. My surgeon fails to remove his nose and ends up stabbing up his kidneys and spine instead, he goes into a berserker rage out of the anesthetic, flees the room and beelines for the nearest grizzly to die in stupid combat.

I set up a rich explorer as Donald Trump and give him a small loan of 10 thousand silver and a whole bunch of gold and a golden double bed. He is abrasive and dislikes women but is industrious. Things go south quickly, the gold I brought only builds a tiny room and I can't install his golden bed. Donald gets sick from sleeping in a half built house eating raw antelope and develops bad asthma.
The first colonist who joins is a (presumably) Mexican woman named Nunez who has the lazy trait. She is everything Trump hates and hilariously she claims his golden bed and relegates him to the wooden shack. Nunez refuses to do any work except cook so Trump is dragging himself out of bed and wheezing about building the rest of the colony (until I figure out how to force Nunez to be helpful).
Things get off the ground when Trump purchases a couple good slaves, some useless chick and a beautiful and deadly tribal warrior dude who trump refuses to lend his charge rifle to. Weeks of banter lead to Trump and Nunez falling in love sitcom style and Trump is overjoyed to be sleeping in his golden bed at last, a tasteful wedding ceremony is held next to the slaughtering table and a half finished pair of hemp trousers.
Trump's asthsma is getting worse though and Nunez is worried, she tries to harvest the lungs of a bandit prisoner but fails and his comrades come with incendiary mortars. Trump meanwhile is incapacitated, having gone insane at the death of his two huskies in the previous raid and also them automatically being made into food which he likely ate. The brave tribal warrior leads a charge to fend the bandits off but is cut down by a sniper and pistol crew defending the mortars. The whole of Trumptopia burns to the ground apart from the tiny golden room which houses incapacitated Trump. Unfortunately he wakes up, goes mad and gets shot.

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 4, 2016

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

One of my colonists got shot in the head and had permenant brain damage. Well, okay, I guess I'll steal his kidney and do away with him. Doctor botches the surgery and he dies, but oh well he was a dead man anyways.

Then I look at the doctor. "-20 mood, fiancee died".

Whoops.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Oh and how can I forget the peice of art one of my guys made. My friend was watching me play and a guy got married so I had him immediately rush to the table to commemerate the occasion. At the same time I was trying to build an assault rifle and failing spectacularly.
The peice of art the groom made ended up being a huge scultpure of his wife having an orgasm and being supes randy in a gun factory.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I made a custom scenario: 5 drunkard soldiers go on a bender and wake up on the side of a mountain, massively hungover, with nothing but a boatload of beer, MREs and their armour and weapons. Playing Rough Randy Random has gifted me with many extra colonists and relatively tame events. The few raids I've had have been easily dealt with thanks to the starting weapons and bunkers.

Highlights include Jenny Antonson, the 89 year old demented woman who happens to be a crack sniper, spending her spare time making sculptures and narrowly avoiding dying of heart attacks.

Two of my starting soldiers falling in love, and as if right on cue, the lady's ex-husband invited himself to the colony to start poo poo. Thankfully, the ex-husband found a new love of his own, and all was well!

Things have been going too well. Even when a bug infestation showed up, I was able to funnel the insects through a rubble-filled hallway and pick them off with minimal injuries. I'm expecting Randy to get bored and jam a spiked dildo up the colony's arse any second now.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
In warn rainy biomes should I just grow a wide variety of things? Farming seems pretty low maintenance.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

In the middle of a heatwave I lost track of our colony's husky when everyone went to bed.

I found it sleeping in the freezer :3:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Panfilo posted:

In warn rainy biomes should I just grow a wide variety of things? Farming seems pretty low maintenance.

It doesn't really matter that much once you get past the initial demand, I'm pretty sure you only need one type of vegetable to make lavish meals and the blight incident hits everything you're growing except trees (pretty dumb really) so the only thing that really matters is a) does it have to be cooked and b) how fast does it mature.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Flesh Forge posted:

It doesn't really matter that much once you get past the initial demand, I'm pretty sure you only need one type of vegetable to make lavish meals and the blight incident hits everything you're growing except trees (pretty dumb really) so the only thing that really matters is a) does it have to be cooked and b) how fast does it mature.

"We got baked potatoes, fried potatoes, sautéed potatoes, boiled potatoes..."

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Oh and we got raw potatoes too if you'd rather

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Azhais posted:

My last colony died because Phoebe Chillax (whose name is clearly ironic)

I think author explained that storytellers generate bad events randomly for some interval of time X, then lay low for time Y, then again cause trouble for X days. So for Phoebe it just means rest period is longer, but no less poo poo comes your way during periods of trouble.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
beer is a bad addition to a colony goddamnit fire and drunks everywhere i didn't have time to get screens but everyone's dead in the freezer

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I think you meant to say, beer is a very good addition to a colony

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I'm mostly outside of this mountain and using it for safety, but I have dug into it to place the prison barracks somewhere more secure. Bugs keep showing up in it, but it's just the prison so I don't really care too much. Just lock the doors, turn up the heaters, and watch 'em fry. Any prisoners in there, well, the bugs get 'em before they're cooked.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
that mod with ammo and such is impressively awesome and actually improves the game 1000%

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Flesh Forge posted:

I think you meant to say, beer is a very good addition to a colony

It's certainly a social lubricant.

My current Team consists of Ben and Alisa, a married couple, with Ben arriving after Kyle, a nocturnal type that avoids all the others, and Tail, sister of Alisa. Tail was looking like the weakest link before her foot got torn off and she's been turned into the base mother. A late arrival was Riu, an architect who apparently hates women.

Tail and Riu got horrifically drunk and have moved in together. I can't wait to see what happens next.

Amusingly, I ended up with a Manhunter Rhino; after losing a colony to manhunter wargs, I decided to hide out. It seems that my flock of Turkeys took an exception to it and pecked it to death.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Any way to force two colonists to hook up? I have 2 gay ladies who are permanently in a bad mood because they both constantly attempt to hit on every other female colonist and get rejected. I was hoping I could hook them up so they would stop that.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!

Baloogan posted:

that mod with ammo and such is impressively awesome and actually improves the game 1000%

Did your colonist start with ammo? Because mine didn't. I'm sure its something that can be tweaked but my survival rifle came with 7 rounds and after those were used on hunting, my newly started colony was defenseless.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Broken Cog posted:

Any way to force two colonists to hook up? I have 2 gay ladies who are permanently in a bad mood because they both constantly attempt to hit on every other female colonist and get rejected. I was hoping I could hook them up so they would stop that.

Lock them in a room together?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Broken Cog posted:

Force them into situations where they'll interact with each other. Set an area for mining and have them as the only miners, have a crafting room with them each at a table, have them share the same joy time with all the joy stuff near each other, etc. People will naturally socialize when they're doing stuff near each other.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Broken Cog posted:

Put all the other women on the front lines during all future raids.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

what the hell kind of relationship is that?

stepson, ex-husband, grandnephew?

Prophecy120 posted:

Did your colonist start with ammo? Because mine didn't. I'm sure its something that can be tweaked but my survival rifle came with 7 rounds and after those were used on hunting, my newly started colony was defenseless.

prepare carefully!!! or custom scenario..

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

IcePhoenix posted:

Force them into situations where they'll interact with each other. Set an area for mining and have them as the only miners, have a crafting room with them each at a table, have them share the same joy time with all the joy stuff near each other, etc. People will naturally socialize when they're doing stuff near each other.

Could try being a bit more aggressive with that I suppose. Already tried setting them up doing the same job for a little while, but it didn't seem to work.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
You're not supposed to actually be a sociopath. Just wait. Making them work or hang out together only means they interact more. It will either happen or not on their own terms. Making them hang out together might even mean a bloody fatal fist fight! Who knows!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zigmidge posted:

Making them hang out together might even mean a bloody fatal fist fight!

To be fair, that would also solve the problem