Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
counterpoint: jeff monson training with a 72 inch plastic pipe with a boxing glove affixed to it taught him to gauge tim sylvias reach, beginning his reign as shortest ufc hw champion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Conor's entire game is built around setting up the straight left against orthodox fighters. Every thing he does is very clearly with purpose, and its a really good straight left. I hope it once again isn't super effective against Nate because I'm interested to see if he has developed a plan B, or if he will he keep working the same thing, or if he will just have more ways to set it up and land it against a southpaw. Nate's boxing is also very fun and it will be interesting to see if he has anything new or if he's just going to stick with what works

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Gameplanning for a specific opponent is a good thing not because you change something drastic about your own game, but rather you're better about anticipating and reacting to what your opponent is doing. NFL teams do it every week. Their scout teams imitate the upcoming opponents. They study film to find tendencies and how to exploit them. It's no different in fighting and is what good coaches should be doing with fighters anyways.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Gameplanning for a specific opponent is a good thing not because you change something drastic about your own game, but rather you're better about anticipating and reacting to what your opponent is doing. NFL teams do it every week. Their scout teams imitate the upcoming opponents. They study film to find tendencies and how to exploit them. It's no different in fighting and is what good coaches should be doing with fighters anyways.

I agree but like I said theres only so much a team or a fighter can do to adjust.

I'd rather be working with Nate to better nulify Conors rear hand than working Conor to figure out how we deal with a rangier better boxer in a crossed swords match up.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I think it's more different for MMA because there's not a whole lot of difference in various team sport positions from team to team. Some guys are more talented at their position than others but it isn't the same as going from preparing for matt brown to preparing for demian maia. or going from training for Edson barboza to training for Khabib. Also in team sports you regularly match up against the same teams year after year with gradual changes in their gameplan that you continually get to prepare for, while in MMA usually you have the one opportunity to fight a guy and that's it so you gotta make it count.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Conor should work on his lead hand and feint more with his rear. Training with Danis is cool and all, but I hope it's just something he was doing anyway, because it's not going to make a lick of difference.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
i don't know what conor needs to do: i know a lot less about fighting than him and the people around him. sorry to disappoint.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Bubba Smith posted:

I think it's more different for MMA because there's not a whole lot of difference in various team sport positions from team to team. Some guys are more talented at their position than others but it isn't the same as going from preparing for matt brown to preparing for demian maia. or going from training for Edson barboza to training for Khabib. Also in team sports you regularly match up against the same teams year after year with gradual changes in their gameplan that you continually get to prepare for, while in MMA usually you have the one opportunity to fight a guy and that's it so you gotta make it count.

Which is why individual focus on specific opponents should be the norm, not the exception. You'll never find someone you can roll with as good as Maia, but you can get guys that can emulate one or two things that Maia does and work with different people on individual things. You watch every minute of film you can of him, find out every tendency he has, and practice specifically to defend against/exploit those based upon your own skillset.

Each NFL team has a certain amount of similarities, but you don't gameplan the same against Cam Newton as you do against Tom Brady.

Kurohashi
Sep 8, 2005

*waddle waddle*
I think the biggest preparation comes from the information they have from already having fought each other. It's hard to believe Conor can be better prepared than Nate when he's tasted both Nate's power and submission game with a big loss at the end of it. Nate is far more likely to come in with a huge preparation edge having taken Conor's best shots and still winning with little training.

That 2nd round body shot from Conor, though, is still something to worry about. Kind of like Anderson's leg kicks against Weidman in the first fight.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Triticum Guzzler posted:

i don't know what conor needs to do: i know a lot less about fighting than him and the people around him. sorry to disappoint.

He needs uh leg kicks and longer arms.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Anything Conor McGregor can do with his hands or feet is 'something to worry about', he's rather good with them.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Here's what Conor needs to do: he should win the fight this time, instead of losing it.

LIKEINEEDTHIS
Oct 3, 2012

by Smythe

BlindSite posted:

The problem with game planning like some fans seem to expect is that a fighter isnt an rpg character. You cant just put effort in at bjj and magically get better than nate or put in some time wrestling and be suddenly able to grind on nate for 5 rounds.

You tweak what youre good at enough to be able to be effective at it by exploiting your opponents weaknesses.

Conors path to victory against Nate is staying outside of his boxing range through the use of kicks to the legs and body and change up often. The problem is like anyone who fights a diaz keeping up the necessary pace is something only a handful of guys have ever been able to do and similarly being able to survive the diaz onslaught when you inevitably get tired and start getting hit.

I fully expect Conor to look fantastic in the first round and start to wilt half way through the second into the third where he'll cop a battering in the latter rounds.

Conors talent has always been giving just enough ground without taking damage to land that kill shot. Even when he wasnt finishing guys he was getting the ascendency in the fight through those talents. Nates jab game is just too good and his unyielding pace and pressure is a bad mix for conor.

Diaz wont just rush in, he doesnt get frustrated on the feet and is content just to stand back a flip you off till he gets his chance to go to work.

Edit: Sometimes I leave a tab open for a while and when I come back it's somehow emptyquoted the last post. Half my posts on SA are accidental emptyquotes. Sorry yall.

LIKEINEEDTHIS fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 4, 2016

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Here's what Conor needs to do: he should win the fight this time, instead of losing it.

i'm so loving sick of everyone trying to do this kind of longform analysis now

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Didn't some lad ask Robbie at the presser if he intended to get KOd or something?

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

Didn't some lad ask Robbie at the presser if he intended to get KOd or something?

He asked if he considered keeping his hands up before being knocked out

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

EmmyOk posted:

"What do you wish you had done differently in the fight?"

"Uh not get hit? What the hell are you talking about?" and from there it descended into a bunch of "no poo poo sherlock" sarcasm with an "I want to murder you" look in Robbie's eye.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Triticum Guzzler posted:

a brave analysis

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Conor should take enough growth hormone to be 6'4 and tower over Nate, cut down from 230 and rehydrate to like 215

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
In the first fight conor did a lot of cross countering over nates jab. In a bunch of his videos they have footage of him sparring with tall southpaws. One of the things he keeps doing is slipping the jab, but instead of immediately throwing the left he waits a beat, and then throws when the other guy throws his own cross, and catches him as his weight comes forward. Its little things like that that can make a difference, the guy runs himself onto the punch which can be ko shot easy.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Triticum Guzzler posted:

You probably know more than like paddy ohoulihan or whoeger that guy was that retired to become a buffet chef

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I like when people try to identify and analyze fighters habits and tendencies in theory because everyone notices different stuff when watching fights. In practice I don't like reading other people's words because they are always bad

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Honestly, the only thing I wished Connor had done (apart from gassing out) is continue the leg strikes on Nate's lead foot because I thought that was paying dividends.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

david carmichael posted:

I like when people try to identify and analyze fighters habits and tendencies in theory because everyone notices different stuff when watching fights. In practice I don't like reading other people's words because they are always bad

I like stuff like this

Dangersim posted:

In the first fight conor did a lot of cross countering over nates jab. In a bunch of his videos they have footage of him sparring with tall southpaws. One of the things he keeps doing is slipping the jab, but instead of immediately throwing the left he waits a beat, and then throws when the other guy throws his own cross, and catches him as his weight comes forward. Its little things like that that can make a difference, the guy runs himself onto the punch which can be ko shot easy.

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
I think Conor should be the favorite to win the rematch because he's smart enough to make the little changes to his style to amplify what success he did have in the first fight and not make the same mistakes, but I wouldn't be surprised if Nate won again in a similar way to last time even with those adjustments. Not confident enough either way to put money on it either way though.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
I think Conor will win because he will be more efficient with his energy in the rematch. Thanks for taking the time to read my analysis.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
It's gonna be a cool fight

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
conor's so smart he's going to overcome his body's desire for oxygenated blood to reach his extremities used to punch and kick things

i'm interested in what's going to happen to conor. is he going to go balls to the wall looking for a knockout and get beaten in round 2 / 3 again, or is he going to drastically reduce his power and output in an attempt to stay conscious and get a prolonged, vicious beating?

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Dangersim posted:

This is true and punching himself into the sweet spot of Conor's range is how Nate got hit with some pretty brutal counter lefts right on his chin in the first fight. They were by far the nastiest looking head shots Conor landed and it's something Nate will need to clean up in the rematch.

There's also an Owen roddy v log where they show some footage of him doing pad work and they look to be working pretty hard on slipping the jab and then cutting a pretty sharp angle to then presumably punch Nate in the jaw. Could be looking for that Bisping Rockhold finishing sequence.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Marching Powder posted:

conor's so smart he's going to overcome his body's desire for oxygenated blood to reach his extremities used to punch and kick things

i'm interested in what's going to happen to conor. is he going to go balls to the wall looking for a knockout and get beaten in round 2 / 3 again, or is he going to drastically reduce his power and output in an attempt to stay conscious and get a prolonged, vicious beating?

Either way, I will feel like I've gotten my money's worth.

If Conor gets stopped again, does the last of the shine finally come off of him? There will always be the core Conor brigade, but wouldn't getting stopped a second time after demanding this rematch pretty much crush what's left of his momentum and good will in the UFC? Even if he goes back to wailing on midgets, I feel like he'd never get out from under the specter of getting Nate Diazed twice in a row.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Conor won't be as big as he could have been, but he'll still be a big star. If he beats up Aldo again and beats up Frankie/Holloway after, people will get over the Nate fights

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Centripetal Horse posted:

If Conor gets stopped again, does the last of the shine finally come off of him? There will always be the core Conor brigade, but wouldn't getting stopped a second time after demanding this rematch pretty much crush what's left of his momentum and good will in the UFC? Even if he goes back to wailing on midgets, I feel like he'd never get out from under the specter of getting Nate Diazed twice in a row.

No. losing to Nate puts a damper on his multi-weightclass ambitions. losing to Aldo might not even be bad since the rubber match would be there

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
conor will be fine. it's a god drat sideshow of a career detour and won't have much to do with his legacy except as a kind of bizarre footnote

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
it takes years of a guy not being able to win, looking terrible, and acting pathetic to get cut. and they dont even get cut because they dont have fans its just because ufc doesnt have a talent level low enough for them. Conor could lose 6 in a row and probbably get paid by bellator

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
Conor will never get cut by the UFC. Even completely shot he'd still draw a bigger audience than the majority of fighters.

TheUltimateDoofus
May 21, 2016
i think yair rodriguez is what miguel torres was supposed to be. he has the money spirit.

http://gfycat.com/elderlyhugedonkey

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Losing at a higher weight isn't really that big of a deal in terms of how good a fighter is. It's more that Conor isn't able to back up his poo poo talk for the first time, and that can take that invincible sheen off a guy. The move up may or may not have been a good idea for him in terms of making money.

There's only one guy in his division (Frankie) that might have the skills and stylistic matchup to beat him at this point, and that guy is nowhere near a title shot right now. Just because going up at all destroys his physical advantage doesn't mean the average fan is going to decide that the guy who knocks everyone in his weight class out is poo poo.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Wins and Losses in MMA don't really put a huge damper on a dude's popularity, especially when they are going way above their weight. Conor can lose to Nate and will still be a big money draw because of the rest of his resume. If he starts stringing together multiple bad losses to different people, then his drawing power will go way down.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

My friend watched 201 at a bar and told me he overheard a guy at the table next to him saying that "if Conor loses to Nate again it will really tarnish his aura of invincibility." So that means that guy was well aware of the first fight and how it turned out but still thought "yeah this guy who got beat up and lost badly in the second round by a guy taking a fight on extremely short notice still CURRENTLY seems invincible to me, but if it happens a second time after that guy's had time to prepare? Hoo boy."

A lot of people who only watch sports casually can say and believe some ignorant things and I accept that at face value, but it takes a special level of popularity to coax that kind of self-contradictory nonsense out of people imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul
Eh. Maybe you guys are right, and getting Nated a second time doesn't really cause Conor's career to lose a step. I don't buy the weight class argument, though. Nate fights at the weight Conor is probably going to end up at before too long, and fighting again at 170 is Conor's idea, unless I misread that.

Bluedeanie posted:

So that means that guy was well aware of the first fight and how it turned out but still thought "yeah this guy who got beat up and lost badly in the second round by a guy taking a fight on extremely short notice still CURRENTLY seems invincible to me, but if it happens a second time after that guy's had time to prepare? Hoo boy."

That's a pretty good point, assuming that dude isn't some weirdo outlier, and a significant number of fans feel that way.

• Locked thread