Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Everyone's favorite Batman voice actor was also cast as the new Director of SHIELD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Will Arnett?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Will Arnett?

That would be pretty great. So no. Not Will Arnett. :smith:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Kevin Conroy?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Adam west

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I didn't know Jason O'Mara ever played Batman, but I like him as an actor otherwise.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

X-O posted:

I didn't know Jason O'Mara ever played Batman, but I like him as an actor otherwise.

He's been the go to voice of Batman for all their recent animated movies, outside of whatever they managed to get Conroy for lately.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ToastyPotato posted:

He's been the go to voice of Batman for all their recent animated movies, outside of whatever they managed to get Conroy for lately.

So...no one's favorite Batman voice actor?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

So...no one's favorite Batman voice actor?

Y..yes... :thejoke:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

I've said this before, but I loving hate his Batman voiceover work.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I tend not to watch the DC animated movies so I'm not familiar with him. He's been good in most of the stuff I've seen actually seen him in. Maybe voice acting just isn't his strength.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

ToastyPotato posted:

Not giving Bruce Greenwood more work post YJ s a tragedy.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

X-O posted:

I tend not to watch the DC animated movies so I'm not familiar with him. He's been good in most of the stuff I've seen actually seen him in. Maybe voice acting just isn't his strength.

His Batman feels very bland, but to be fair to him, the writing on the new animated DC stuff tends to not be very good. I wouldn't put that on him until I saw him given a good movie to work with and have him be one of the worst things in it. He's better than the Damien VO.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ToastyPotato posted:

His Batman feels very bland, but to be fair to him, the writing on the new animated DC stuff tends to not be very good. I wouldn't put that on him until I saw him given a good movie to work with and have him be one of the worst things in it. He's better than the Damien VO.

The writing on all of the latest DC Animated stuff has been so loving abysmal that I would feel hard pressed to blame any of the actors for lackluster performance, there's only so much you can do.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The DC Animated films have been mostly dreck since Dwayne McDuffie passed.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

jscolon2.0 posted:

I really liked that Batman voice. Kind of a know-it-all/I'm Tired of your poo poo, with just a hint of warmth.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

jscolon2.0 posted:

I loved YJ's Batman in totality. Character, design, voice. I would like to see more of that Batman.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

SonicRulez posted:

I loved YJ's Batman in totality. Character, design, voice. I would like to see more of that Batman.

People liked to complain about YJ, but it was far better than the stuff we got after. (Except for its Joker, which was pretty bad.)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Diedrich Bader was also great.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

ToastyPotato posted:

People liked to complain about YJ, but it was far better than the stuff we got after. (Except for its Joker, which was pretty bad.)

Did they? I hadn't joined SA until much after YJ was cancelled. I thought Young Justice was one of those "Cancelled before its time" shows in most circles.

I know nobody asked for my hot take on it, but I thought YJ S1 was great. S2 did a really unnecessary time skip that I think threw off the pacing of everything. Gave us loads of characters that couldn't get developed in the short amount of time. The plot was a bit silly. But it wasn't trash or anything. Honestly that moment in S1 where all the characters have their lies revealed and they just talk it out instead of going all melodrama made the entire thing worth it to me.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SonicRulez posted:

Did they? I hadn't joined SA until much after YJ was cancelled. I thought Young Justice was one of those "Cancelled before its time" shows in most circles.

I know nobody asked for my hot take on it, but I thought YJ S1 was great. S2 did a really unnecessary time skip that I think threw off the pacing of everything. Gave us loads of characters that couldn't get developed in the short amount of time. The plot was a bit silly. But it wasn't trash or anything. Honestly that moment in S1 where all the characters have their lies revealed and they just talk it out instead of going all melodrama made the entire thing worth it to me.

I think if the recent DTV movies had been better Young Justice would largely be forgotten, it wasn't horrible but I'd stop before calling it good.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SonicRulez posted:

Nah. There was some enjoyment of the team and dynamics but there was a tendency towards catchphrasing (Whelmed! Hello, Meagan! Souvenir!") that got annoying. That and the Shadowy Cabal Oversees Everything. The subversion of the Everyone Suspicious trope with them voluntarily coming clean was great.

Funny enough, what made people super turn on it was:

quote:

S2 did a really unnecessary time skip that I think threw off the pacing of everything. Gave us loads of characters that couldn't get developed in the short amount of time. The plot was a bit silly.
Especially since folks wanted to see that team evolve a bit more.

S2 was dicked around a lot, with delays and poo poo from CN. That wore people that tuned in, as did
"Yesssssssssssss. All goes according to The Light" since there was literally nothing that the team could do that wouldn't somehow be in service of The Light and their plan.

Also, the guy behind it was the same dude that did Gargoyles... so while there was an overall arc going on, it was plotted out to like 7 seasons and the dude's been all "I can't tell you what was going to happen WHAT IF IT GETS RENEWED IT WOULD SPOIL EVERYTHING"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

SonicRulez posted:

"So who wants to admit their big secret next?"
"I guess I will."
"I swear I was joking."

Personally I'd rate it "worse than BTAS, but that's an awfully high bar." It had stuff I liked and stuff I didn't. S2 time skip aside, I thought the Cabal pulled off one of the better "even if we lose we win" schemes I've seen from shows that have tried it.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 3, 2016

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I genuinely liked YJ, even though it wasn't perfect. There are definitely plenty of people on SA that seemed to really dislike it, mostly for its writing. I think he most common complaint was the constant "everything is going according to plan" from the villains after like every episode. And I guess people didn't like the relationship problems between characters? S1 the big complaint was also the catch phrases.

I'd take all of those flaws over the DTV stuff we have now. Also, YJ had better animation than the DTV stuff does. Some of the fight scenes were really well animated.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Bruceski posted:

Personally I'd rate it "worse than BTAS, but that's an awfully high bar."

Yeah, that's where I'm at with it. Putting animated shows up against the DCAU seems unfair to me entirely. I liked YJ a fair bit though. Upon you guys mentioning it I can see how the villain thing would be annoying. That was one of my chief complaints with the newest season of Orange is the New Black, actually. I thought the catchphrases were endearing, but I find that I'm more forgiving of cartoons than others. I'll admit full flush that a lot of my memories of loving YJ are from Season 1. It had one of my favorite season finales. And a lot of the singular episodes had some beats that I'm just not used to seeing in cartoons like the episode where Canary gave the entire team a psych eval. Seeing Superman be so unequipped for a situation that he can't help but to just run away from it every time he encounters it. The Season 2 timeskip was a poor choice, but I'm also a person who gets super excited to see Wonder Girl be a thing in cartoons. And Actual Best Character (TM) Nightwing and Impulse and Static. The beats in Season 2 weren't as good. But one season up and one season in the middle (if not down) to me would call for a 3rd. I would've liked to have seen where it went.

I can't get passed it though. I'd really like to ask the creator why he made that choice. Like in Naruto a timeskip made sense because it was totally within reason to offscreen Naruto preparing to fight a villainous team of S-Class ninja. But in YJ Rocket and Zatana had only been on the team for like 3 episodes. Post timeskip they're on the official League and we don't really ever see them again. At least not in the same capacity.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SonicRulez posted:

I can't get passed it though. I'd really like to ask the creator why he made that choice.
They needed to start getting boys aged 12-25 buying the toys.

Older teens = more toys right?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

So the official synopsis of AoS S4 says SHIELD will be a fully public agency again (thought the general public, who did not really know of Coulson, thinks he is still dead for some reason, hence the new director) I guess that will be the final nail in the coffin for the cross continuity if SHIELD doesn't start popping up in the movies again. It's also funny because you'd think the Avengers, and Cap and Widow specifically, would have something to say about SHIELD starting up again after Fury disbanded it. RIP "it's all connected."

They have like 2 years before any movies would reference SHIELD again because the next 3 (Dr Strange, GotG2 and Thor) have pretty much nothing to do with that stuff.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

They needed to start getting boys aged 12-25 buying the toys.

Older teens = more toys right?

Character redesigns + new characters = more toys. See also: Transformers: The Animated Movie

muscles like this? posted:

They have like 2 years before any movies would reference SHIELD again because the next 3 (Dr Strange, GotG2 and Thor) have pretty much nothing to do with that stuff.

True. I guess Spider-Man would technically be the next up that would mention them in any capacity.

Also damning will probably be how the Netflix shows will continue to ignore everything about AoS as well though. You could argue that most of this season will probably be West Coast based sine Ghost Rider is in LA. I suppose. Isn't The Defenders slated to air around the time Spider-Man releases more or less? That's funny too.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Daredevil has had some minor SHIELD references. Matt and Daisy lived at the same orphanage (for some time anyway, not known if together). And Crusher Creel has made several appearances on-screen appearances in AOS and had off-screen appearances and mentions in Daredevil Season 1.

But considering that the movies themselves, or at least the Whedon Avengers movies, do their best to ignore solo films, I don't see why people think this is an insult when TV shows don't get mentioned when it is pretty rare that the movies get meaningful mentions within other movies.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

With the possible exception of IM3, pretty much all of the movies have been directly related in some way, whether sharing characters or carrying over plot points. And even IM3 referenced Avengers.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

ToastyPotato posted:

So the official synopsis of AoS S4 says SHIELD will be a fully public agency again (thought the general public, who did not really know of Coulson, thinks he is still dead for some reason, hence the new director) I guess that will be the final nail in the coffin for the cross continuity if SHIELD doesn't start popping up in the movies again. It's also funny because you'd think the Avengers, and Cap and Widow specifically, would have something to say about SHIELD starting up again after Fury disbanded it. RIP "it's all connected."

As others have said, there was never really a connection to begin with. It was, and will always be* a one-way street

* Unless I'm proven otherwise, which I highly doubt.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Jonny_Rocket posted:

As others have said, there was never really a connection to begin with. It was, and will always be* a one-way street

* Unless I'm proven otherwise, which I highly doubt.

I think many viewers knew that, and people at Marvel Studios knew that, but people working on the show seemed pretty adamant that it was part of the MCU proper. So stuff like this, along with producers saying "they are thematically linked" is a pretty big admission and a change in the status quo.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

For the 0 of you that watched, my condolences.

https://twitter.com/BRIANMBENDIS/status/760881602633211906

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
But i was told powers was so good and 50 was so good in it that they're giving him his own superhero show because of it

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

For the 0 of you that watched, my condolences.

https://twitter.com/BRIANMBENDIS/status/760881602633211906

Oh no all those ads I have to keep scrolling past on PSN will go away! What a shame.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I finally started watching Powers and I don't hate it, I've only seen like 4 episodes though.

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009
For what it's worth, the final episode of Powers is completely bonkers. I haven't the slightest clue where the show was going to go next and now I never will. :sadwave:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Reset Smith posted:

For what it's worth, the final episode of Powers is completely bonkers. I haven't the slightest clue where the show was going to go next and now I never will. :sadwave:
Do the comics cover it?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cardboard Box A posted:

Do the comics cover it?

The show only vaguely follows the comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
To be fair it does sort of cover that bit. In short, Christian becomes Green Lantern.