Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Yeah, for basically the entire game I put the +speed/+skill accessory on Kiria so I never really had a problem with her speed. Plus Concentrate+Labyrinth does shitloads of damage lategame if you can get it to proc.

EDIT: Also yeah attack mirrors are fantastic, and with Kiria and Mamori you can essentially nullify an enemy's turn unless they use an Almighty attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Okay revising my list to
Anna
Kiria
Other Anna

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
I can tell that the PC makes a funny sarcastic remark when Attack or Magic Mirror hits, but there are no subtitles. Does anyone know what he actually says?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I had use for both Tsubasa and Ellie because they both get Fog Breath, aka the best debuff which makes your life about 1000% easier.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ellie is useful just for having Mass Destruction as a time saver.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

So is any other Duo Art actually any better than Give Me, the first one I got? :v:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

AlphaKretin posted:

So is any other Duo Art actually any better than Give Me, the first one I got? :v:

It's not great for extending sessions, but I really like Dream Catcher. It's straight Almighty damage and provides a really good heal afterward.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

AlphaKretin posted:

The Mamoru/Tiki one that gives SP is super useful because it gives SP.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

So how do stat caps work in this game? Once the stat hits 100, the bar starts flashing gold but it will keep going up through level ups and whatnot afterwards. Is that number just for show and the effect of the stat maxes at 100 or does it still count the higher number?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ometeotl posted:

So how do stat caps work in this game? Once the stat hits 100, the bar starts flashing gold but it will keep going up through level ups and whatnot afterwards. Is that number just for show and the effect of the stat maxes at 100 or does it still count the higher number?

It's just for show. SMT IV did something similar. I think the real stat cap is something like 999.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
mamori is loving godly holy poo poo why would i ever take this adorable moppet off the front lines

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

alcharagia posted:

mamori is loving godly holy poo poo why would i ever take this adorable moppet off the front lines

Her SP abilities are the best in the game by a mile.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

alcharagia posted:

Yeah, Mamori is insanely OP. Once you get her you might as well only have one rotating character slot because there's almost no reason to swap her out.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Frankly she's a better required slot than Itsuki IMO.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

Frankly she's a better required slot than Itsuki IMO.

Yeah, if I could rotate Itsuki out I would but welp.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Itsuki is like...especially bad at coverage considering you can't rotate him out. At least he gets dual dispatch?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
So like... if I turn Mamori into a Berserker... it's not gonna somehow ruin her loving fantastic survivability and healing and tanking and poo poo right? Because literally the one thing she could do better is hurt people.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Kashuno posted:

Itsuki is like...especially bad at coverage considering you can't rotate him out. At least he gets dual dispatch?

Yes, he operates best as a slayer, I think. He can hit armored, horse and dragon which covers quite a few enemy types. Plus skills like dual dispatch seem to remove enemy immunities that would otherwise break chains so thats nice too.

He's not amazing overall for a 100% uptime character though.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Imo General is the better choice

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Strange Quark posted:

It's just for show. SMT IV did something similar. I think the real stat cap is something like 999.

Good, so Kiria's 145 magic isn't going to waste.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

alcharagia posted:

So like... if I turn Mamori into a Berserker... it's not gonna somehow ruin her loving fantastic survivability and healing and tanking and poo poo right? Because literally the one thing she could do better is hurt people.

No. Mamori will always be an amazing tank. It just depends if she gets more tanky or more damagey (and honestly she's never great at the latter.)

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I beat Tsubasa's last side story with Itsuki 5 levels below recommended and I feel good about myself

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Mamori's damage is kinda low so there's not much point in using her in easy fights but in anything even remotely challenging she's pretty mandatory.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You are blasting through this game

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

I never had Tsubasa miss anything, but Mamori kept missing everything in the final dungeon. She was still practically mandatory on the final boss but if I could have gotten away with using someone else I would have.

The reason for this is that for some reason Mamori's last weapon has a huge to-hit penalty.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I actually didn't end up using Mamori all that much (especially in the final fight, which is really punishing for her why yes, of course the final boss spams fire attacks which he sessions off of all by himself -- it's bad enough that I'm forced to use one fire-weak character; two is too many). Her offense is utterly terrible, her speed might as well not exist, and I found I ended up taking less damage in most cases by just using Yashiro and Touma and killing things before they got a chance to act. She was good for the bosses which didn't use fire or sword attacks, though. There were maybe two of them after she joined the party.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zurai posted:

I actually didn't end up using Mamori all that much (especially in the final fight, which is really punishing for her why yes, of course the final boss spams fire attacks which he sessions off of all by himself -- it's bad enough that I'm forced to use one fire-weak character; two is too many). Her offense is utterly terrible, her speed might as well not exist, and I found I ended up taking less damage in most cases by just using Yashiro and Touma and killing things before they got a chance to act. She was good for the bosses which didn't use fire or sword attacks, though. There were maybe two of them after she joined the party.

Mamori can survive being hit with her weakness better than most characters can survive being hit normally.

Her speed being slow is a plus, not a minus, because it means she can go at the end of a turn but before the next turn starts which means if she revives someone they don't lose their turn.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Mamori can survive being hit with her weakness better than most characters can survive being hit normally.

Her speed being slow is a plus, not a minus, because it means she can go at the end of a turn but before the next turn starts which means if she revives someone they don't lose their turn.

Getting hit once, yes. Getting sessioned, no. And her speed being low isn't a plus because you're more likely to die when you let the enemies have turns than when you don't.

I'm not saying Mamori is bad or anything, I honestly think they hit the balance pretty well with the characters and they all have their uses, and I love Mamori as a character. She just didn't work out with the way I played the game for the most part.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zurai posted:

Getting hit once, yes. Getting sessioned, no. And her speed being low isn't a plus because you're more likely to die when you let the enemies have turns than when you don't.

I'm not saying Mamori is bad or anything, I honestly think they hit the balance pretty well with the characters and they all have their uses, and I love Mamori as a character. She just didn't work out with the way I played the game for the most part.

Yes, even getting sessioned. Mamori's defense and HP is so high that she can survive significantly more damage than any other character. Her HP and stats are high enough that she can reliably tank multiple attacks and take less damage from it than an un-weak character would, especially once you get her defensive passives up and into play.

And no, her speed being low is absolutely a plus due to the way turns work. Your healer going last is entirely a positive thing. It means that she revives before the end of the turn but after the enemy's action which means you don't lose a turn for the revived characters but also don't risk the enemies putting them down again. Enemies who are weak enough to be put down in a single turn generally aren't a major threat in any way. Mamori is good for Savage enemies and bosses instead.

Edit: I'm speaking largely about Hard also.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 5, 2016

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
kishin emblem yashiro seems like it was a good idea

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, even getting sessioned. Mamori's defense and HP is so high that she can survive significantly more damage than any other character. Her HP and stats are high enough that she can reliably tank multiple attacks and take less damage from it than an un-weak character would, especially once you get her defensive passives up and into play.

And no, her speed being low is absolutely a plus due to the way turns work. Your healer going last is entirely a positive thing. It means that she revives before the end of the turn but after the enemy's action which means you don't lose a turn for the revived characters but also don't risk the enemies putting them down again. Enemies who are weak enough to be put down in a single turn generally aren't a major threat in any way. Mamori is good for Savage enemies and bosses instead.

Edit: I'm speaking largely about Hard also.

Well, my Mamori's corpse would beg to differ. You're welcome to use her. Like I said, she's not bad. I just didn't get much use out of her because despite her high defenses and HP, her everything else is low and she got sessioned to death frequently because hey guess what, using a low-offense character against a party of 5 enemies who can all session together and who can start a session on her didn't tend to work out well for me personally. I had much better success taking other routes. I'm not sure why you're so adamant that there's One True Way To Play, because there isn't. All of the characters are good. Some fit certain playstyles better than others, is all. I just didn't have much success, personally, with Mamori.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
I'm still in Chapter 5 but Mamori is actually one of my heavier hitters :(

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Mamori's ultimate weapon has an immunity to the attack the boss sessions with

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Mamori's ultimate weapon has an immunity to the attack the boss sessions with

Ah, well that would definitely make using her there way less painful then. I'm not sure which weapon that is, but I didn't have whatever I needed to make it, that's for sure.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
The final weapon of each character can only be obtained in ng+.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Junkozeyne posted:

That would explain it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Junkozeyne posted:

Oh in that case I meant the final one you get in NG. Grimehkala. Might be General-specific I guess but I don't think so???

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Oh that's her weapon from the 2nd rare enemy and she gets it regardless of promotion. Though it is also the weapon that severely lowers her accuracy so expect a lot more misses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Mamori's best defensive weapon at the end of the game (other than NG+) is Galatine, IMO, because it reduces physical damage. Grimehalka (sp?) has an extra resist or immunity though, so it's a tossup.

• Locked thread