Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Beaten like an aboriginal child in a detention centre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I need a loss edit of this I will pay money.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

thatfatkid posted:

One Nation are pro penalty rates, medicare, public ownership of state assets etc. They won't vote lockstep with the coalition.

Also this. They're a group of liberals that split from the Liberals in SA.

No. I refuse to live in a universe where One loving Nation is potentially a reasonable force of balance.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

:pusheen:

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?
Cartoon, I think ministerial responsibility was ended in this country at least as early as Bronwyn Bishop and the kerosene baths. I seem to recall Howard saying she wasn't really responsible for what people under her did. Makes one wonder what the point of a minister is. Similarly for Brough, who kept on despite the Intervention.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

RichardA posted:

Totals:
Coalition 30
Labor 26
Greens 9
One Nation 4
NXT 3
LDP 1
FF 1
Lambie
Hinch.

Good work on the DD Turnbull!

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Solemn Sloth posted:

NXT is in no way shape or form Generally Left.

yet most of their 'policy principles' are somewhere to the left of Labor's, or at least not more right wing

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Mr Chips posted:

yet most of their 'policy principles' are somewhere to the left of Labor's, or at least not more right wing

counting labor as left was such an obvious mistake it wasn't worth pointing out

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Anidav posted:

It's Bill Leak time!

And newly reelected Lionhat decides now is his chance to shine!

https://twitter.com/DavidLeyonhjelm/status/760985904777310208

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007

Cleretic posted:

No. I refuse to live in a universe where One loving Nation is potentially a reasonable force of balance.

Considering the comments from the OFN person at the media conference this afternoon, there is no chance that "reasonable" will ever be applicable. Nor "rational" or "sane".

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
One Nation senators don't even know their own policies let alone how to vote for anything the government brings up

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.

Cleretic posted:

We've been saved from the worst of the gov'ts neoliberal austerity measures for the last 3 years by the good graces of the right-wing populists anyway.

So it's not that much of a difference, just that they're way more racist this time.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

There is no way there are still 4 ONP Senators by the end of this Senate term.

E: https://twitter.com/_AdamTodd/status/761041385021583360

The voting system worked pretty well I think.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 4, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
It definitely worked well, because I managed to correctly fill out a BTL vote while being flustered about having to do an address change for the electoral roll.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

freebooter posted:

It's worth asking how much we should be spending on the Olympics but that article is absolutely daft in its long digression about the Ancient Greeks - who gives a gently caress?

Let's see if we can spot the hidden message:

quote:

They did not waste public income on getting athletes to the Games.

Individuals were ready for the Olympics because their families had paid for the private classes of an athletics teacher. Olympians paid their own way to Olympia and their own expenses during the Games.

So, just like how universities should be, then? Just for the rich.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There is no way there are still 4 ONP Senators by the end of this Senate term.

E: https://twitter.com/_AdamTodd/status/761041385021583360

The voting system worked pretty well I think.

Is that the national % of the vote against the national proportional representation? It's an unfair calculation.

I keep editing this post cos I'm having trouble right now exactly articulating how I dislike it, but we've already come to terms with Seats of disproportional populations rather than raw percentages as the method of forming government.

G-Spot Run fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 4, 2016

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Kat Delacour posted:

Is that the national % of the vote against the national proportional representation? It's an unfair calculation.

I keep editing this post cos I'm having trouble right now exactly articulating how I dislike it, but we've already come to terms with Seats of disproportional populations rather than raw percentages as the method of forming government.

National first preference by group (combining the various Coalition parties) compared with number of Senate seats, yeah.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
I know nobody actually cares about the ABCC but how's the joint sitting looking?

114 votes needed to get it throug the joint sitting right? Libs have 106. Will 7 crossbenchers support it? Xenephon said he'd need a bunch of amendments iirc. I assume Leyonhjelm, and Day will support it. That leaves 6....

Hinch and Pauline and Lambie, who knows which way they'll go? Hanson isn't anti-union, right?

E: I forgot I need to include the lower house independents as well. I assume Wilkie won't vote for it. Katter? McGowan?

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Aug 4, 2016

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Hanson is anti-union, yeah. Who the gently caress knows how she'll vote though.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I dunno if Leyonhjelm would after they reneged on the shotgun deal.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

4 One Nation senators :suicide:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

McGowan's in favour of it (I think). Katter's voted against it before.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Hanson is anti-union, yeah. Who the gently caress knows how she'll vote though.

Is she pro-bloody-anything?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Is she pro-bloody-anything?

Flag capes.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
i'm quoting myself

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

So my laptop's hard drive failed. This is the same laptop that had a broken motherboard and fan when I first bought it. Some of the keys had also fallen off because surprise surprise, HP makes lovely laptops.

So I took it back to JB Hifi in Queen St for a refund, replacement, or exchange. You know, as I'm entitled to do so under Australian consumer law. It's very much still under warranty.

They are refusing to replace or refund it and are sending it off to HP for assessment because it has broken keys. And as everyone knows, if a laptop has broken keys that means all warranties on the broken hard drive are voided!

It's going to take 2-6 weeks to be "assessed" by HP and they think that loaning me a lovely netbook AND CHARGING ME FOR THE REPAIR is going "above and beyond" their requirements under Australian consumer law.

gently caress JB Hifi imho

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
This is unsurprising given my recent experiences with Dell. It's not just JB hifi.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

wayne curr posted:

4 One Nation senators :suicide:

Via @pollytics, I give you Senator Elect Malcolm Roberts:

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/25780781/from-what-i-malcolm-ieuan-roberts-have-seen-galileo-movement

It's going to be a long three to six years

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Gorbash posted:

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/25780781/from-what-i-malcolm-ieuan-roberts-have-seen-galileo-movement

oh good, a freeman on the land senator.

One Illegitimate Nation Party

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Katter has threatened bloody murder if the coalition so much as brings the ABCC up at the joint sitting. He won't be voting for it.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

MonoAus posted:

This is unsurprising given my recent experiences with Dell. It's not just JB hifi.

Yeah, electronics companies at all levels are pretty scummy.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

BBJoey posted:

Katter has threatened bloody murder if the coalition so much as brings the ABCC up at the joint sitting. He won't be voting for it.

He might if they agree to classify fruit bats as a union

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Gorbash posted:

gently caress me

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I hear unionists spread the Hendra virus.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

BBJoey posted:

I think he's voted against it before too, which is a good sign.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Re: asbestos suddenly found in hospitals ect when it shouldn't. :allears:

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

i'm quoting myself

Have you already paid for the repair? If not, refuse to.

The manufacturer warranty and your legal "consumer guarantee" are two separate things. You want to push your consumer guarantee rights, rather than their warranty allowances.

Under the consumer guarantee, if a product has a "major failure" you have a lot more options. A major failure is defined as "if the customer had known about the fault they would not have purchased the product", so I'd say you qualify.

If a product has a major failure it is the customers choice whether to have a refund/repair/replace.

This all also has to be done within a "reasonable time", and if they don't you can change your mind and get a refund instead.

HP actually got fined by the ACCC the other year for not correctly dealing with faulty products.

http://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/hp-to-pay-3-million-for-misleading-consumers-and-retailers

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

thatfatkid posted:

One Nation are pro penalty rates, medicare, public ownership of state assets etc. They won't vote lockstep with the coalition.

Also this. They're a group of liberals that split from the Liberals in SA.

One Nation seem like the sort of people who would vote for anything if it gets them legislation to put CCTV cameras in mosques or something.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
https://twitter.com/smurray38/status/761109091880054784

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

What happens if the guy actually is ineligible?

• Locked thread