Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slev
Apr 6, 2009

Speaking of Rukia

That's a thing I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I have decided to start rereading Bleach and man I miss early Bleach so much, and I have not appreciated Rukia enough (though she is hardly any more of a character than Chad these days).

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tunicate posted:

She spent like ten years in poverty followed by two hundred years of absolute luxury.

Considering how long ghost aging takes and she went from looking like a kid to a young adult she like spent a few hundred years in ghost poverty. Probably more time than she spent as part of the ghost upper class.

chumbler posted:

I miss early Bleach.

:same:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tunicate posted:

She spent like ten years in poverty followed by two hundred years of absolute luxury.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Considering how long ghost aging takes and she went from looking like a kid to a young adult she like spent a few hundred years in ghost poverty. Probably more time than she spent as part of the ghost upper class.

:same:

Let me scrounge up my post.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Some other tidbits of information.

Renji only recently became the VC of Squad 6. In fact, it was pretty much right before Rukia left for Karakura. He planned to surprised her with this fact when she got back, as it would have taken a month for the promotion to take effect. Ikkaku mentions 40 years here, so we can assume that Rukia was adopted 40 years ago. Which would mean Renji, Momo, and Kira graduated anywhere between 40 to 35 years ago.

Also worth considering are the following. Pictures posted all at once below the points.

- Renji learned how to fight from Ikkaku, and also learned about Ikkaku's bankai sometime during his stay in Squad 11.
- Renji was the 6th seat. This isn't actually as weak as it sounds - Yachiru was VC, Ikkaku was 3rd seat, and Yumichika didn't want the 4th seat but nobody was stronger than him so it stayed empty while Yumichika remained on the 6th seat.
- Iba, the VC of Squad 7, also used to be in Squad 11. However, as he realized that he could never be a VC in Squad 11 (as it was pretty much Yachiru's spot), he moved to Squad 7.
- Actually, Iba was apparently the 4th seat, according to Wikia, which cites some thing. Guess it makes sense. That being said, considering that Ikkaku treats Iba with some respect, he might actually have been higher ranking than Ikkaku at some point.
- Ikkaku and Yumichika knew Kenpachi and Yachiru before any of them became shinigami. Kenpachi whupped Ikkaku's rear end. You can see Yumichika sitting on a rock.
- We know Tousen was a captain by the time Zaraki became the captain of Squad 11, as he was a witness (HAH!) at the duel.

So 40 years in luxury I think?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The second Bleach OP had Ishida vs Hitsugaya and Chad/cat Yoruichi vs Soi Fon. Man I wish those had actually happened.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

So 40 years in luxury I think?
Wiki reads like 49 in luxury, 101 in poverty, although she was in academy and then a shinigami so it's not like she spent a bunch of time being wealthy. She was abandoned as a baby and her sister spent the next hundred years looking for her. Of course the minute her sister dies Byakuya finds her in the academy, just hanging around.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
How much of the cast bloat and power-level weirdness could have been avoided if Kubo had decided on 5 or 6 squads rather than 13?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you could fit all of the ss cast into 5-6 squads, the seated officers would just be more important

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Rereading old Bleach is a hoot.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Look at all these personality having motherfuckers. No wonder Kubo decided to lose them for the Dorks from SS, these require actual effort to write as they're not all the same.

6 squads would also contain all the different ideologies.

Healing, Kido, Assassins, Fighting, Research and the leaders squad. Instead of having those plus 7 squads whose thing is totally different to those I swear.

Cavelcade fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Aug 4, 2016

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Kon even had a proper(and good) backstory that touched on the ethics creating sentient tools, I don't think that outside of that little bit of backstory he's ever been not funny.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cavelcade posted:

Look at all these personality having motherfuckers. No wonder Kubo decided to lose them for the Dorks from SS, these require actual effort to write as they're not all the same.

6 squads would also contain all the different ideologies.

Healing, Kido, Assassins, Fighting, Research and the leaders squad. Instead of having those plus 7 squads whose thing is totally different to those I swear.

Aizen takes half the squads with him when he defects bam.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

lohli posted:

Rereading old Bleach is a hoot.

She certainly matured into a well-developed and solid character while retaining her whimsical nature, becoming a useful member of the cast!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Has nothing to do with the cast members and everything to do with the entire manga becoming doomy gloom town haunted with the ghosts of tension and excitement as Ichigo battles a shadow omelet that keeps breaking his sword.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Spiderdrake posted:

Has nothing to do with the cast members and everything to do with the entire manga becoming doomy gloom town haunted with the ghosts of tension and excitement as Ichigo battles a shadow omelet that keeps breaking his sword.

Controversial statement but I blame Kubo.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

It is incredibly frustrating to realize Kubo was setting up the fact that Ichigo and Ishida's dads knew each other even before Ishida was introduced, yet still failed to ever go anywhere with that fact.

And then a few chapters later, we get the gates to Hell, which also never went anywhere. Plus Rukia telling that kid in a parakeet how nice Soul Society is and how great it is to live in. Sure hope you and your mom don't end up in one of the slums where everyone fights each other and has to wear rags and starve, kid.

Sometimes I like to think of an alternate reality where the soul society turned out to be a good not boring place and Hell wound up having an actual plotline.

Actually I'm basically just thinking of yuyu hakusho.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Controversial statement but I blame Kubo.

Kubo did nothing wrong.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I want to marry the small ghost lady rukia

help me, friends

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
The saddest part about this manga is that it had a ton of potential. Kubo is obviously really creative but unfortunately that creativity is wasted because he couldn't execute and make it meaningful.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Shinjobi posted:

I want to marry the small ghost lady rukia

help me, friends

What the gently caress is wrong with you, why would you choose Rukia over Orihime?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

I wish I was Soifon so I could marry Yoruichi.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

What the gently caress is wrong with you, why would you choose Rukia over Orihime?

Rukia has class.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

hiddenriverninja posted:

Rukia has class.

And Orihime doesn't???? Look at her, she's a world class sprinter AND a world class boxing champion!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What the gently caress there used to be bounties on Hollows? Who decides these values?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Thanks for posting good Orihime pages Zep. I'd forgotten she used to be really entertaining. It was a bad move by Kubo to suddenly replace her a few arcs in with someone with the same name and design imo. Though I guess he did the same for all the guys from Karakura town even the main character.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Even Kon used to be more than a gag.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Early bleach is funnier, but the hollow battles really couldn't have continued for much longer than they did. They were getting really stale by the time Ishida turned up.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
A ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Jesus loving Christ Kubo with the self gags.

Hisagi: I've already learned my bankai.
Rangiku: Never seen it.
Hitsugaya: Me neither.
Rangiku: You sure you're not just making this up?
Kensei: I haven't seen it too.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Rukia constantly trolling Renji when she's in prison is funny.

Early Bleach is actually way better than early Naruto I'd say. Urahara is a treasure.

sharktamer posted:

Early bleach is funnier, but the hollow battles really couldn't have continued for much longer than they did. They were getting really stale by the time Ishida turned up.
Agreed. I do wonder though, because it felt like they were setting up hollows even this early as being something more, due to the scene with Grand Fisher in some weird of hollow-hospital/lab. Soul Society in the first arc was basically just a heaven-like idea at the other end of a mobile phone. I wonder if there was going to be a big Hollow Society or something (which I guess we eventually got, but at the point where people had begun to stop caring) before an editor made him pivot to fuel-Japan-ghost Soul Society.

My re-read is up to them infiltrating Rukongai via the giant portal and the captains get alerted. Guys maybe the secret knowledge behind shounen comics is that things are actually way more tense when they are moving pretty quickly!

Also Chad breaks Ishida free from that spirit-wall thing with his strength and Orihime stops the cleaner-train with her barriers long enough for them to save them. Chad/Orihime Status: Funny and relevant.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Even Kon used to be more than a gag.

Even if it was really dumb, at least the anime did something with the whole mod soul thing. That's another idea that kind of went to waste, even if Kon is the only one left, in his first appearance he was at least willing to fight a hollow. It would have been neat if at some point the whole "well they were supposed to be super soldier souls" thing paid off.

EDIT: Know what else is really disappointing? The bit where Orihime first gets her powers isn't bad. She seems pretty on top of things trying to get her friends to safety at first, then stepping in to defend her friends when poo poo goes wrong even though she didn't know she had any kind of super power solely because she didn't want to be useless and have them die for her. More of this character and less of whatever she became would have been cool.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Aug 4, 2016

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Wow early bleach is very good.

I get the impression Kubo created a bunch of amazing funny characters with personality in a cool setting, but then in the end didn't really know where to take it from there. Then when ghost battling started to get worn out, we go to Soul society, and since there's no long-term plan for the plot it kind of just snowballs from there. That's why there's so many plot threads that show up early but never come back. Cool concepts, but no idea what to do with them.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Bleach was really good all the way through to the final Aizen fight, but it had a horrible problem with pacing that got progressively worse that the anime ultimately couldn't make up for(largely due to catching up to the manga), and there were a bunch of things that were touched on and then discarded(Turn Back the Pendulum), probably because editors were aware that they'd take the series off on a tangent that would gently caress up the series by leading to nowhere or taking it completely off-course with no return to whatever happened prior to the detour.

I want to see the series reworked as an anime that starts from the beginning of the manga, keep all the good poo poo, rework what needs reworking, expand on the good, ditch the stuff that was ultimately fruitless. Maybe find a way to get to YWACH as the quincy progenitor god-emperor that doesn't involve a retcon of Ichigo's path to empowerment because of some obsession with making the bad guys ultimate puppet-masters. And to actually have good pacing, no lovely padding of episodes because you need to make two chapter's worth of action-spreads last 20 minutes, no goddamned filler arcs.

Also the doodles in early chapters are great.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i like how all that stuff urahara talks about with shipments and money turned out to be completely untrue. they made it seem like he was providing the few shinigami that actually did any work with supplies. but really, who would have sent him anything? he was a fugitive from ss and no one knew where he was. he had no contact with any sword ghosts aside from rukia and maybe the vaizards (who didn't like him). it would make a lot of sense if there were ss affiliates on earth like what urahara pretended to be, but that was never the case.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Another thing that sort of got dropped is the Menos. In the early chapter the way they talk about it makes it sound like it's just one giant monster, and that just being able to hurt it was a massive achivement. Fast forward a bit and it turns out they're dime a dozen, they all look the same and everyone can just smash them like ants.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Nuebot posted:

Another thing that sort of got dropped is the Menos. In the early chapter the way they talk about it makes it sound like it's just one giant monster, and that just being able to hurt it was a massive achivement. Fast forward a bit and it turns out they're dime a dozen, they all look the same and everyone can just smash them like ants.
They're the Sea Kings of Bleach. They're only scary until Luffy learns to Gum Gum Pistol them in the face (which happens in chapter 0. Not even ch 1. ch 0).

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Bisse posted:

They're the Sea Kings of Bleach. They're only scary until Luffy learns to Gum Gum Pistol them in the face (which happens in chapter 0. Not even ch 1. ch 0).

Welll not grand line sea kings. Those were a problem until the timeskip.
But they were never used as a serious metric for power, that would be the marine ranks.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the ones in the calm belt are still scary, tho I think it's at least partially due to numbers

menos were supposed to be a problem for sub captain level dudes because they suck and are basically useless lemmings that accomplish nothing. I can believe that rukia was right that it'd take a bunch of generic shinigami to take out something a captain could kill in one hit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Manatee Cannon posted:

the ones in the calm belt are still scary, tho I think it's at least partially due to numbers

menos were supposed to be a problem for sub captain level dudes because they suck and are basically useless lemmings that accomplish nothing. I can believe that rukia was right that it'd take a bunch of generic shinigami to take out something a captain could kill in one hit

That is one of the main problems with Bleach. The power gaps that are literally insurmountable no matter how smart you are, unless you're Urahara. This would also probably have been helped by having fewer squads.

• Locked thread