Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dk2m
May 6, 2009

ChunksNensja posted:

they also have an untunable ECU which you'll have to get reset every few months to get rid of the flat spot they develop.

Say what now? I've never heard of this before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

So am I right in thinking the enigne, driveline and subframes of a 05 Forester XT will go into a 99 Forester? I seem to recall that a GC8 can get converted to 06 STI, so .......

Yeah this might turn into a bad good idea if the frames drop in.

The SF and SG are really close. I'm not sure about subframes but everything else is lego.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

So am I right in thinking the enigne, driveline and subframes of a 05 Forester XT will go into a 99 Forester? I seem to recall that a GC8 can get converted to 06 STI, so .......

Yeah this might turn into a bad good idea if the frames drop in.

I won't say for 100% sure, but I'd be very very surprised if anything from the pre-multilink-rear Subarus (aside from the SVX) *didn't* bolt up.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

ChunksNensja posted:

Avoid the 2.0R, the SOHC was a much, much better engine. DOCH non turbo engines are stuck with air pump and valves which are likely to expensively fail and they also have an untunable ECU which you'll have to get reset every few months to get rid of the flat spot they develop.

Argh gently caress really

I was starting to like the 06 I was looking at as well.

So the 2.5RS has head gasket issues, and the 2.0R has a poo poo head and bad ecu? The 2.0 in the S has 92kw which is the same as my bloody 323 so that's not going to fly either.

I'm assuming it's the same deal with the 4gen liberties too?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
If its been done right then the headgasket will be fine.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
aight cool.

Feel like I may have dodged a bullet there...

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Yeah its just from factory they were weak, the metal ones are good. Honestly though I feel like if you don't want to spend money on it, then keep the 323 if you can, until you can buy something newish.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Yeah its just from factory they were weak, the metal ones are good. Honestly though I feel like if you don't want to spend money on it, then keep the 323 if you can, until you can buy something newish.

Sadly the 323's running out of birthdays. The rings are going, and it's drinking about a litre a month, the engine mounts are starting to fail, the suspension is softer than my midsection, the AC is hosed, and I have a baby due in 2 months so I need something a bit less likely to strand me in the middle of nowhere. I found an RS2.5 locally that's had a full gasket rebuild with clutch, belts and water pump 130,000km ago so that'd probably be the go.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

If I needed cheap reliable transportation that will last for 4 years, then I sure as poo poo wouldn't be looking at old Subarus with a lot of miles. Buy the Aussie equivalent of a Corolla/Camry or old Honda.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
The aussie equivalent of a camry is a camry.

Belts and water pump 130000 km ago means its due for that same service again.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Larrymer posted:

If I needed cheap reliable transportation that will last for 4 years, then I sure as poo poo wouldn't be looking at old Subarus with a lot of miles. Buy the Aussie equivalent of a Corolla/Camry or old Honda.

Whut. Old Subarus are the best Subarus. 345000km and still got years left.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Don Dongington posted:

Sadly the 323's running out of birthdays. The rings are going, and it's drinking about a litre a month, the engine mounts are starting to fail, the suspension is softer than my midsection, the AC is hosed, and I have a baby due in 2 months so I need something a bit less likely to strand me in the middle of nowhere. I found an RS2.5 locally that's had a full gasket rebuild with clutch, belts and water pump 130,000km ago so that'd probably be the go.

OOooooh, the 04-05 RS is what you are thinking of? Solid. They did NOT have the head gasket issues in Australia. They are awesomely tough and reliable cars that even with telephone number kms on the clock will still be kicking rad.The 2.0R is perfectly fine too... not quite my cuppa tea, I prefer the 2.5 for the extra torque.

FWIW, the 2.5 RS made for a ridiculously effective rally car and still does today. First hand experience on that one :D

Okay so the clutch will likely be fine, you are up for belts. Water pump is a good thing to change at the belt service. The only issue there is that the belt service isnt cheap. The other thing to be mindful of is that due to the P-Plater laws, the 2.5RS is a very popular P-Plater Subaru and suffers as a result of being owned by P-Platers - dodgy mods, patchy maintenace, thrashed, fart cannons, 21" chromies etc.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The SF and SG are really close. I'm not sure about subframes but everything else is lego.

I know my way around WRX's but this is surprisingly the first time I've really looked at the Forester models side by side, even with owning both chassis. I always thought the SG was bigger and taller but.... it's not? I parked my SF next to a SG this morning.... GG there really isn't that much of a difference at all...! I'm now wondering if the seats would fit

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm looking to buy a Forester in the UK, because you're all bad influences. I'm not after a fast car, are there any red flags or things to look for specifically on this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222179433126

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Cakefool posted:

I'm looking to buy a Forester in the UK, because you're all bad influences. I'm not after a fast car, are there any red flags or things to look for specifically on this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222179433126

Worth going to have a look. Not really a high km model, price seems good, looks very straight and clean

ChunksNensja
Sep 29, 2004

When in doubt, power it out.

dk2m posted:

Say what now? I've never heard of this before

AU spec 2.0R use a Hitachi ecu which can't be tuned. Almost every other Subaru uses a Denso ecu which can be tuned with a tactrix or similar.
Last I heard the only way to get Hitachi ecus tuned was by sending it to some guy in Russia who modifies them so they can be openport tuned

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Woooo! I found a shortblock to replace my dead motor with.

Jamal, can I get everything I need to do a head swap from you or do you suggest a mix of vendors?

Timing belt, head studs, gaskets, etc.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The online dealerships like subarugeniuneparts are usually best for oem stuff, but I can probably get you a few things and do have most of the part numbers you'll need in a spreadsheet. Send me an email

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Well I'm going to find out how hard stuffing an SG Forester XT driveline and motor is into a SF Forester Limited NA. ECU, harness, motor, gearbox, diff, hubs are purchased. I have front subframe already.

Even if I dont turn up the boost, the SF being lighter than the SG will have to make this swap go like hell when done.

List of things to do -

1) Get Forester GT going
2) Get GC8 WRX going
3) Driveline swap the existing Forester

gently caress

Solosilent
Dec 16, 2005
I just finished swapping a 2004 WRX powertrain and subframe into a 2002 outback. I'm pretty sure the Forester is a lot closer to the impreza in overall dimensions and parts not related to the ones you will be swapping. Everything bolted up for me. I think the only thing I had to move between the powertains was the rear diff carrier bolts because the outback required longer ones to go through the rear subframe. Heck, even all the seats from the WRX bolted straight into the outback. The worst part of the swap was hacking the wrx scoop into the hood.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Biggest issue I think will be wiring. Picking up a fair amount of that so I'm swapping as much as possible so it's as little a pain in the rear end.

Solosilent
Dec 16, 2005
I actually made a brand new harness to go between the ecm and the engine. In my head this was easier because I didn't have to route a harness that wasn't made for the car and change any connectors that didn't match for unrelated things like HVAC and lights. The legacy and impreza wiring and dash were very different too, the legacy has an ip harness and two bulkheads where the impreza was just one bulkhead. Then again, I work in the auto industry in wiring harnesses, so that part seems easy to me. I spent a lotta time planning out the wiring. Let me know if you have any questions about wiring, I'd love to help. Turbo swaps are awesome.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Ahh that gives me hope. When my tired old EJ25D finally gives up I'm definitely going that route. Always wanted a sleeper wagon.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Do I have to use Subaru's Coolant for my 2013 Crosstrek? It looks like Pentosin Pentofrost A3 will work with it just fine.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Mill Village posted:

Do I have to use Subaru's Coolant

Nope - Subaru coolant isnt special unicorn blood.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Need new tires for the Saabaru; frequently sees rain or wet roads. Currently on Pilot Sport AS3s, should I repeat or are Pilot Super Sports good enough in the wet? Or something non-Michelin?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

PSS are phenomenal in the wet, they are just hopelessly useless if that wet turns frozen.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I really like the AS3's because they seem to give you most of the performance of the super sports but without a treadlife measured in months

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

8ender posted:

I really like the AS3's because they seem to give you most of the performance of the super sports but without a treadlife measured in months

That and they actually do work in low temperatures. They allowed me to go deep into December last year before swapping out to the snow tires.

I even got caught in a quick squall that coated the highway and they actually handled that really well considering how good their summer grip is.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Trying to track down an oil leak, it looks like it's coming from somewhere right under the power steering pump. What on earth would leak oil right there?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

blk posted:

Need new tires for the Saabaru; frequently sees rain or wet roads. Currently on Pilot Sport AS3s, should I repeat or are Pilot Super Sports good enough in the wet? Or something non-Michelin?

PSS are great. Mine are 265/35/R18 and they do really well in the wet. Significantly better than the 235/45/R17 Dunlop Sport Maxx RT the car came with.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Sudo Echo posted:

Trying to track down an oil leak, it looks like it's coming from somewhere right under the power steering pump. What on earth would leak oil right there?

AVCS lines is a good possibility

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

It's not P/S fluid? Mine has leaked a bit forever.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Got a recall notice about the passenger airbag in my '07 WRX. The gist:

We don't yet have the parts to fix them all. Until then, don't let anyone sit in the passenger seat. Thanks!

:suicide:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Fifty Three posted:

We don't yet have the parts to fix them all. Until then, don't let anyone sit in the passenger seat. Thanks!

I got this a year ago from subaru.
Meanwhile subaru keeps adverising how long lasting, reliable, and safe their cars are.
Seriously, gently caress you subaru, it is a loving wagon, it needs a passenger seat because the rear seats are down.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

nm posted:

I got this a year ago from subaru.
Meanwhile subaru keeps adverising how long lasting, reliable, and safe their cars are.
Seriously, gently caress you subaru, it is a loving wagon, it needs a passenger seat because the rear seats are down.

If you haven't heard the whole story, it's the takata airbag recall and it's affected multiple manufacturers across the board. There is a wait since the sheer number of replacement airbags needed is well above what they have already manufactured and they need to make more. Not really a Subaru specific problem IMO.

Re: oil leak. Seconding the check if it's ps fluid, Subaru uses atf for it's ps system. There's not much in the area that would leak oil, turbo or NA?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Fifty Three posted:

Got the same for my 08. We just scoot the passenger seat all the way back. Most of the time the light stays off anyway because my wife's weight doesn't trip it :shrug:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Cue commercial full of crashed Subuarus "they survived!"

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Bajaha posted:

If you haven't heard the whole story, it's the takata airbag recall and it's affected multiple manufacturers across the board. There is a wait since the sheer number of replacement airbags needed is well above what they have already manufactured and they need to make more. Not really a Subaru specific problem IMO.

Re: oil leak. Seconding the check if it's ps fluid, Subaru uses atf for it's ps system. There's not much in the area that would leak oil, turbo or NA?

I'm well aware of it. Other car companies are disabling airbags and doing other things, subaru just says "remember those 5 seats you paid for? Don't use one for the next 2 years."
Also what jamal says and the fact that subaru also talks about how reliable thier cars are when I'm on motor #3 in 140k mi.

Edit: car manufacturers are liable for supplier mistakes. Pretty much everything else that breaks on cars is supplied by someone. VW window regulators are a bosch part, but VW is to blame for picking that part.

nm fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 8, 2016

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Fifty Three posted:

Got a recall notice about the passenger airbag in my '09 WRX. The gist:

Fixed for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I have not yet received a recall notice that I've opened, but typically I don't open mail from Subaru because it's usually junk mail from local dealerships. Also, I live in New England and gently caress Subaru of New England.