Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

jim truds posted:

It is a mix of a sense of duty and that there generally isn't another life for them to move into. The Witcher life is going to come back to haunt them. And I don't think every Witcher hates it. Geralt whines about it but it is sort of obvious he wouldn't want to do anything else.

Geralt would be an excellent assassin, scout, or witch hunter if he weren't such a bleeding heart anti-establishment hippy type. Foltest has offered him a job repeatedly in books and games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

RatHat posted:

They don't all hate it, and some DO quit and get a new life(there are at least 2 examples of this in the game).

I remember the ambiguously-repentant slaver from the cat school. Whose the other I'm forgetting.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

the one who found religion and left behind all his gear diagrams in blood and wine during a pilgrimage

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Supreme Allah posted:

I remember the ambiguously-repentant slaver from the cat school. Whose the other I'm forgetting.

In Blood & Wine the Grandmaster Manticore quest has you following the notes of a Witcher who converted to a religion and gave up his old life.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

SirSamVimes posted:

the one who found religion and left behind all his gear diagrams in blood and wine during a pilgrimage

RatHat posted:

In Blood & Wine the Grandmaster Manticore quest has you following the notes of a Witcher who converted to a religion and gave up his old life.

AHH I remember. I don't think I even really grasped the gravity that he left the path, I just wanted my sweet armor sets.

Good gravy.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

drat it's painful trying to build all the mastercrafted sets...I've got both Feline and Griffin done, but I'm out of basically everything. Hopefully there are a ton of materials in the expansions.

How!
Oct 29, 2009

Pellisworth posted:

There's a cat in the tavern in White Orchard right at the very beginning that does this. It'll hiss and run away from Geralt. Noticed it on my NG+ playthrough.

The little things in this game are amazing. I almost want to smash my head into a wall so I can replay it fresh.

E: didn't work

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Shooting Blanks posted:

drat it's painful trying to build all the mastercrafted sets...I've got both Feline and Griffin done, but I'm out of basically everything. Hopefully there are a ton of materials in the expansions.
There are also grandmaster sets in the expansion which cost even more.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Supreme Allah posted:

Is there any witcher in the earlier games or books that enjoys his job? It seems illogical to stay on the path when they all come off as miserable..

They get tortured into it as kids and as adults they keep walking around going 'hey i'm a witcher it really sucks'

Why don't they just quit and do what they want instead of wandering around getting spat on and hated, risking their lives to kill monsters for poo poo pay and resenting every minute of it.

The main problem is that most of the stigma comes from the mutations, so even if they leave the path they'll still be spat on and hated.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arglebargle III posted:

Geralt would be an excellent assassin, scout, or witch hunter if he weren't such a bleeding heart anti-establishment hippy type. Foltest has offered him a job repeatedly in books and games.

Geralt ain't the best bodyguard. Foltest ended up dead a month after Geralt took up his offer.

LupusAter posted:

The main problem is that most of the stigma comes from the mutations, so even if they leave the path they'll still be spat on and hated.

What about Jad Karadin? Or was he an exception because of his crime connections keeping the haters away?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Arcsquad12 posted:

What about Jad Karadin? Or was he an exception because of his crime connections keeping the haters away?

I'm pretty sure it was the massive amount of money he had.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How good is the bonus from Arachas Mutagen*? It sounds nice, but I don't know how big the bonus is supposed to be.

* (Gives +damage and +damage resistance depending on how much weight you're carrying)

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I just watched the Witcher 2 cinematic of Letho destroying that one ship and going on an assassin spree singlehandedly and that might be the best thing I see all year. RIP, you delightful jesters.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 4, 2016

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Hey CDPR, mind not making quests missable in your next game just because the player happens to be in somewhere in the vicinity and left? That's such a huge dick move.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

All this talk of what actor should play him got me thinking... what relative age is Geralt meant to be? I know he's actually like 100-something, but has an extended lifetime due to the mutations. Would you say he's about in his 40's? 50's? The white hair always makes me think he's a lot older than he should be, but then you realize he's roughly the same age as Eskel who still looks fairly young.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So is there a place that lists all the non-notice board ! quests? I mean, I'm sure CDPR has a master list but I can't help but feel I missed a few as i got lazier about fast traveling as the game goes on.

Some of them are listed in your secondary quests but it seems some of them aren't.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

redbackground posted:

I just watched the Witcher 2 cinematic of Lotho destroying that one ship and going on an assassin spree singlehandedly and that might be the best thing I see all year. RIP, you delightful jesters.

This reminds me that Letho seemed to be really powerful magically. Was that unique to him, his school or just there for hype?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

JetsGuy posted:

So is there a place that lists all the non-notice board ! quests? I mean, I'm sure CDPR has a master list but I can't help but feel I missed a few as i got lazier about fast traveling as the game goes on.

Some of them are listed in your secondary quests but it seems some of them aren't.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MTbfxSDQ2zuzv4ZA7DWmR6FtwzNY5QoMEvii1KVH0dI/edit#gid=608310758

Probably incomplete, but take note of the "ASAP" ones, you have likely to miss a few if you aren't paying attention the moment you land in Velen.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Stumpus posted:

This reminds me that Letho seemed to be really powerful magically. Was that unique to him, his school or just there for hype?

The ice wasn't him, it was a Northern Wind bomb.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Letho's arms are comically large.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Witchers don't do leg days.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Agreed, Letho rules.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Palladium posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MTbfxSDQ2zuzv4ZA7DWmR6FtwzNY5QoMEvii1KVH0dI/edit#gid=608310758

Probably incomplete, but take note of the "ASAP" ones, you have likely to miss a few if you aren't paying attention the moment you land in Velen.

Awesome thanks.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

JetsGuy posted:

Maybe it's a NG+ thing, but I have noticed that that poo poo sells for considerably more than it did my first playthrough.

Also, don't buy the ingredients for GM. Make them. Generally speaking you should have most the ingredients to make the ingredients.

Especially don't buy Infused slyzard hides or that enriched dimeritium.

One of my few complaints about this game is how needlessly complex the crafting system is. While it's true that making stuff saves you money, it sometimes is so much work to figure out how to make it that it doesn't matter. For example, let's take enriched dimeritium plates.

1. I don't have an enriched dimeritium plate, so I need two enriched dimeritium ingots.
2. I don't have two enriched dimeritium ingots, but I see each can be made with two enriched dimeritium ore.
3. I don't have enriched dimeritium ore. To make that I need dimeritium oreand green gold ore.
4. I don't have green gold ore, but...

At that point, I may very well have the base materials, but I honestly can't tell and can't really be bothered to follow the thread. It seems like half of the crafting supplies I so preciously hoard never come into use, and know which ones I will eventually use and which I can sell becomes just impossible to figure out. It's easier just to buy the plates in my opinion. That and the fact that there are some many things you can craft that are just absolutely useless. In making it rich and robust and realistic, it became so complex and not streamlined that it becomes cumbersome to use.

I second selling EVERYTHING you find though. Loot and sell. Nearing the end of my New Game +, I'm at almost 200k gold. I've crafted about half of the Grandmaster gear already and just need to grab the diagrams for the last few. Money should really not be an issue if you're looting every bandit's sword.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

used to be honeycombs were all you needed. oh well

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Palladium posted:

Witchers don't do leg days.

That explains the falling damage.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Palladium posted:

There were still some that never triggered for me (the blood scent in Novigrad, protecting the merchant on the Novigrad docks.)

Also big agreement on the crafting system being needlessly complex, I only dismantled a few things but it just seemed like a big timesink.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

10 Beers posted:

That explains the falling damage.

not really

http://i.imgur.com/sKHnKh0.gifv

first thing i noticed when loading up witcher 1 the other day. wild hunt took more than just memories i guess.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

l33t b4c0n posted:

One of my few complaints about this game is how needlessly complex the crafting system is. While it's true that making stuff saves you money, it sometimes is so much work to figure out how to make it that it doesn't matter. For example, let's take enriched dimeritium plates.

1. I don't have an enriched dimeritium plate, so I need two enriched dimeritium ingots.
2. I don't have two enriched dimeritium ingots, but I see each can be made with two enriched dimeritium ore.
3. I don't have enriched dimeritium ore. To make that I need dimeritium oreand green gold ore.
4. I don't have green gold ore, but...

At that point, I may very well have the base materials, but I honestly can't tell and can't really be bothered to follow the thread. It seems like half of the crafting supplies I so preciously hoard never come into use, and know which ones I will eventually use and which I can sell becomes just impossible to figure out. It's easier just to buy the plates in my opinion. That and the fact that there are some many things you can craft that are just absolutely useless. In making it rich and robust and realistic, it became so complex and not streamlined that it becomes cumbersome to use.

I second selling EVERYTHING you find though. Loot and sell. Nearing the end of my New Game +, I'm at almost 200k gold. I've crafted about half of the Grandmaster gear already and just need to grab the diagrams for the last few. Money should really not be an issue if you're looting every bandit's sword.

I mean, maybe it's just because I'm a "math person" but I didn't find it that bad...

Also Orlichium or whatever its called and dimeritum = Enriched Dimeritium.

Unless there was another crafting alternative (like with many of the ores/ingots) that I missed.

The only things I sell religiously are swords/armor I find off my foes. All alchemy/crafting poo poo stays in my inventory forever.

I actually *spend* money breaking down the valuable junk.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

redbackground posted:

I just watched the Witcher 2 cinematic of Letho destroying that one ship and going on an assassin spree singlehandedly and that might be the best thing I see all year. RIP, you delightful jesters.
The guy who directed that cinematic will direct the live action Witcher movie.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

Well, that is good to hear. Was he involved with either of the W3 cinematic promos?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Palpek posted:

the production company behind the ben-hur remake is doing it tho. oh well.

still, maybe that tv series comes to pass it can pick up post-GOT viewers.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

redbackground posted:

Well, that is good to hear. Was he involved with either of the W3 cinematic promos?
Directly not but every CDPR cinematic was always made by Platige Image - a company he's the creative director of. He does some good stuff and his career was launched when he got an Oscar nomination for an animated short he made by himself. I recommend watching his Cathedral (the short he got mominated for) and Fallen Art - both can be seen directly on that website.

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

I think i'm in love with whoever voiced Regis in the b&w content.

in fact, so far this dlc is the best i've ever played for any game.

i'll go so far as to say i'd buy anything CDPR releases from here on out

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

I really wish there was a DLC to make Geralt wear a suit so I can play Witcher 3 as Geralt the Professional w/ the sunglasses and everything

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Enjoy retirement, Geralt. You've earned it. I will miss you terribly.

Until I take you through a mutton chops only, bad decisions only, NG+ rowdyboy run, that is.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
drat the caretaker fight. I beat on him and danced around for a while, breaking my sword before I figured out what to do. (luckily you can use repair kits in battle) I noticed almost every attack he hit on me would heal him, so I abused rolling to just not get hit at all. Worked perfect I can be a little dense about game mechanics sometimes. In fact I'm sure there's more to it than that, especially with those little dudes he summoned.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009
Finally finished the main game and it pretty fantastic all around, but I felt there were some threads left dangling, just off the top of my head: The Baron and his daughter don't get a proper resolution to their story, Priscilla never gets out of the hospital and one of the crones stays alive with Ciri's medallion. I could probably think of more if I looked at the list of characters, but these are the ones that bothered me. Does any of this get a proper ending in the DLC's?

On an unrelated note, is there any point to the Dragon's dream bomb? It just seems that since you need to get close and use Igni anyways, you might as well stick with Igni and not bother with a little extra bit of flammable gas.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

21 Hoot Salute posted:

I really wish there was a DLC to make Geralt wear a suit so I can play Witcher 3 as Geralt the Professional w/ the sunglasses and everything

Well, Cockle voices a suit-wearing character in Blues and Bullets. I haven't bought episode 2 yet, but episode 1 was interesting enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Capilarean posted:

Finally finished the main game and it pretty fantastic all around, but I felt there were some threads left dangling, just off the top of my head: The Baron and his daughter don't get a proper resolution to their story, Priscilla never gets out of the hospital and one of the crones stays alive with Ciri's medallion. I could probably think of more if I looked at the list of characters, but these are the ones that bothered me. Does any of this get a proper ending in the DLC's?

On an unrelated note, is there any point to the Dragon's dream bomb? It just seems that since you need to get close and use Igni anyways, you might as well stick with Igni and not bother with a little extra bit of flammable gas.

In the ending where Ciri dies, Geralt hunts down the last remaining crone.