Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Rand Brittain posted:

The main thing that makes me feel unhappy about the ranking system at this point is, well. This is basically my first FPS. After doing quick play for a while I did my competitive placement and got ranked at 40. At first, play was frustrating, but I've practiced a lot and I feel like my game has really improved. My aim is better, my tracking is better, I'm more confident in my ability to keep track of what's going on and in general I feel like my skill level has risen as a result of that practice (and by now I can use that on most of the heroes in the game). Sometimes strangers even say nice things!

But, my ranking is still basically the same. I've managed to climb up to 43, but my winrate is still not too far from 50% and it pretty much just zig-zags up and down without ever really changing much. It all winds up feeling kind of random.

Other people may have also been playing this game and improving at the same time as you.

"Only" rising by 3 points means you've out-improved everyone by 3 points. The rankings are relative, not absolute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Your competitive ranking is only as good as the genji carrying your team

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

"It seems well received." -Man swimming in money.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Donnerberg posted:

"It seems well received." -Man swimming in money.

I am intensely skeptical that the most vocal users of the Battlenet forums represent the Overwatch playerbase as a whole.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
It's Blizzards fault that you all have terrible impulse control.

Also if you like Lucioball do yourself a favour and pick up Rocket League

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they should let me buy american mccree with my purple boxes from ranked

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I haven't bought a single lootbox because I thought eh i'll play the game and if I play it enough, i'll unlock everything eventually. But this being limited has me wanting to spend some cash on the lootboxes. Don't know if I can resist the urge to splurge some money on it.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Sefal posted:

I haven't bought a single lootbox because I thought eh i'll play the game and if I play it enough, i'll unlock everything eventually. But this being limited has me wanting to spend some cash on the lootboxes. Don't know if I can resist the urge to splurge some money on it.

instead of spending money on something you may or may not like, have you considered: spending money on something you will definitely like?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
if the thrill of maybe or maybe not getting what you want is what's spinning your wheels have you considered: some illicit activities? i've done most of them and they're pretty fuckin' tight tbqh

free bonus: you go outside in order to do the necessary logistics to do illegal poo poo and you wind up meeting some pretty cool people doing that

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

I agree with Willie: commit some crimes

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I haven't even considered buying another video game since I played Overwatch so really Jeff Kaplan has saved me money in the long run even if I do decide to whale.

Also today in a rank 52 comp game, a guy who insta locked Hanzo on both attack and defense started calling me gook and chink because I refused to switch off of Zenyatta. We won, btw. =D

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
if you commit the right kind of crimes you'll "grind" enough money to get those sweet, sweet OverwatchTM loot boxes!

or you could just play the loving game like some kind of *spits* plebeian. The choice is your'es, really.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Noway in hell he checked to make sure he was allowed to post that. What a garbage excuse, it reads as thinly veiled "we are really sorry you saw through our bullshit so fast".

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I loving hate blizzard for releasing this free content. They are such utter cunts omg

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

After one match yesterday someone on the other team called us a bunch of "dumb-rear end gay niggers," but then also said our D.Va was the only good player (I was the D.Va). So now I have mixed thoughts on the veracity of his claims.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I got done with a quickplay game earlier this evening with someone who tried bragging about how his comp rank was 78 "on his main" after his team beat ours while we were defending Anubis. We then wound up beating them on attack about four minutes faster than they'd managed so that was cool.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

i am mad; mad about computer game skins

furious

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Otisburg posted:

i am mad; mad about computer game skins

furious

When you reframe the issue to not actually be what it's about, which is promoting gambling to literal children, then yes, it does sound quite ridiculous.

Well done.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Lucky Dips also promote gambling

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Literal children, such as the posters who inhabit this thread.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
But stuff like this is the reason we'll never have to pay for dlc. It's such a sweet deal, you can have other people paying for your new heroes, maps etc. without paying a single reichsmark yourself!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't see how this promotes gambling in any way

literal children aren't the ones buying the boxes anyway since they'd probably need a parent to help them out

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Still lovely to allow so many duplicates but have the duplicates turn into currency that can't be used on the stuff you get from said duplicates.

Duplicates.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

lol at flailing around goonishly to frame video game skins in a moral panic "think of the children" context

1910 AD: are these bubblegum "base-ball cards" promoting gambling to our children?!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The main demographic for Overwatch is 16-35 year old males

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Stop defending the lovely video game company

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

RBX posted:

But companies have feelings too. Why you got to be mean to them?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

RBX posted:

I'm not so much defending Blizzard as having a laugh at the people who are just now figuring out that they leverage medical-grade intermittent reinforcement to keep nerds playing Blizzard games, and by gum are deeply upset that they won't have access to a particular pretty pretend outfit for their digital Overwaifu.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Dumped :20bux: into Summer Crates as my payment to the almighty Blizzard and received the following:

- 12 themed player icons
- Tracers GBR Sprinter skin
- Lucios highlight intro
- Mercys medic skin
- Genjis skin
- S76s golf pose
- A couple of voice lines

Not a bad haul. Still need at least one of the available two for Zarya.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm not defending anyone but people saying the boxes are encouraging gambling to children need to get their heads checked

I'd be happy if they changed the system but lol c'mon

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

OK yeah I agree.

Otisburg posted:

I'm not so much defending Blizzard as having a laugh at the people who are just now figuring out that they leverage medical-grade intermittent reinforcement to keep nerds playing Blizzard games, and by gum are deeply upset that they won't have access to a particular pretty pretend outfit for their digital Overwaifu.

It's OK for people to call this stuff out instead of just taking it up the rear end. They could've done like everybody else and made the summer box just have summer items. They made more than enough dumb sprays for us to get as dupes.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm not defending anyone but people saying the boxes are encouraging gambling to children need to get their heads checked

FADE UP TO: Washed-up B-list celeb tearfully and earnestly addressing the camera, a child seated at a computer behind them.
"Little Tutembe desperately wants the new Zarya skin, but it's been gated behind seasonal event loot boxes. Just a buck ninety nine could help pay for the loot boxes that make all the difference in this child's life. Your generous gift will get you a picture of the child you sponsor, a personalized thank you letter, and a DVD containing their best POTGs and highlights."

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Lol people who want consistency in gambling regulation are actually mental amirite

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
how are random skins in lootboxes any different from baseball cards or MTG booster packs or dicemasters dice or any number of other, similar pursuits where you get random rewards? or are those SLAP IN THE FACE CHILD-ENDANGERING GAMBLING as well? I need to know how deep this rabbit hole goes

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
but you can trade duplicates in those games and there's no initial £40 cost

go back and think about your analogy

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007

TG-Chrono posted:

Lol people who want consistency in gambling regulation are actually mental amirite

It seems pretty consistent to me. Opening a pack of baseball cards isn't legally gambling either.

Office Sheep fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Aug 4, 2016

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
I was more saying that people questioning it as producing a moral panic or a possibly mentally retarded is a real dumb response. Anyway here's an actual academic article in response to a politician that brought it up in Australia regarding CS:GO etc.
http://theconversation.com/games-and-gambling-xenophons-ill-judged-counter-strike-63454

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

Literally what happened in CS:GO. Like actual kids gambling with hundreds of dollars

Soothing Vapors posted:

how are random skins in lootboxes any different from baseball cards or MTG booster packs or dicemasters dice or any number of other, similar pursuits where you get random rewards? or are those SLAP IN THE FACE CHILD-ENDANGERING GAMBLING as well? I need to know how deep this rabbit hole goes

This thing called the internet exists now

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

If you don't understand why it's lovely for Blizzard to use a model specifically designed to squeeze money out of people in a game that a lot of children play, you are probably old and going to die soon anyway. Even in your lovely baseball analogy at least those are worth something lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

but you can trade duplicates in those games and there's no initial £40 cost

go back and think about your analogy

Not being able to trade them doesn't make it gambling. If anything being able to trade makes it more like gambling because you can trade money you gamble for goods and services.

sleppy posted:

If you don't understand why it's lovely for Blizzard to use a model specifically designed to squeeze money out of people in a game that a lot of children play, you are probably old and going to die soon anyway. Even in your lovely baseball analogy at least those are worth something lol.

See this point makes more sense at least because it is not trying to claim it is gambling.

Office Sheep fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Aug 4, 2016