Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

DalaranJ posted:

Now you don't have to feel guilty about putting 0 in the use tax box every year. Given your reaction you probably didn't in the first place though.

It's true! I've surprisingly made $0 of digital purchases every year since I started doing taxes somehow!

edit: According to the forms, that is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

Did The Witness turn out to be good (+ why does it cost so much)

My game of the year for last year was Undertale > MGSV > The Witness in that order

The witness is loving gorgeous and the puzzles and environmental puzzles are very good.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Help Im Alive posted:

Did The Witness turn out to be good (+ why does it cost so much)

It's my GotY so far. It's not for everyone but it's extremely my poo poo.

It's 20+ hours of content so the price seems fair, if you wanted to boil it down like that.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Phantasium posted:

Being broken is it's natural state of being, as long as it can never play Dracula X Chronicles.

I was hoping Henkaku would remedy this, but it looks like someone will have to write some more homebrew code to make it a thing. God, all of the pointless red tape surrounding PSP and Vita games on the PSTV... :smith:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Grapplejack posted:

My game of the year for last year was Undertale > MGSV > The Witness in that order

Didn't The Witness come out this year?

Anyway it's good.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

Knuckle sandwich is coming out this year apparently, so.

That's way more Earthbound then Undertale. Undertake was also sorta a Earthbound-like anyway.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
In between battles in phantom brave, you can talk to your units on your island. Some units serve a purpose on the island (shopkeepers, healers, people like that), but your attack units generally don't have a purpose so for them, you can only talk to each one once between battles. Sometimes they'll give you some mana, sometimes they'll give you some money, sometimes they won't give you anything. Their dialogue is randomly generated by picking 3 lines from some text bank I guess and just displaying those. It's cute and a neat idea but unfortunately they didn't write anywhere near enough dialogue for it so you end up seeing a lot of the same lines over and over again and they end up just being cutesy references or variations on the same thing.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

FirstAidKite posted:

In between battles in phantom brave, you can talk to your units on your island. Some units serve a purpose on the island (shopkeepers, healers, people like that), but your attack units generally don't have a purpose so for them, you can only talk to each one once between battles. Sometimes they'll give you some mana, sometimes they'll give you some money, sometimes they won't give you anything. Their dialogue is randomly generated by picking 3 lines from some text bank I guess and just displaying those. It's cute and a neat idea but unfortunately they didn't write anywhere near enough dialogue for it so you end up seeing a lot of the same lines over and over again and they end up just being cutesy references or variations on the same thing.

Those are almost haikus

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Guy Mann posted:

After you leave the ruins the encounter rate gets lower and the enemies become way more varied. The first part of the game was made years before the rest and was used as a demo for the Kickstarter so its a lot rougher, though on the meta level it is cool feeling the developer grow as a game designer and an artist over the course of the game.

On a design level though it is a really, really terrible idea to start your game off with about an hour of really bad gameplay.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Good lord I am in love with Overwatch! I've been experimenting with characters a ton and I seem to be best with: Mercy, Junkrat, Widowmaker and Zarya.

I've now had 5 plays of the matches with all but Mercy (going to assume that as a medic she doesn't get them unless killing).

This game is excellent and I am having an utter blast. Glad I took the plunge!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Overwatch is the only video game that is really really making me want to update my computer. I mostly play and enjoy less intensive stuff on PC that can run on a crappy laptop like roguelikes or Chroma Squad, but Overwatch calls to me everyday.

I mean I also need to get a new computer so I can do proper video editing and poo poo, but its honestly 50/50 between that and wanting to play Overwatch.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I wish you could export highlights. It seems really odd to me that they vanish and you cannot save them.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I wish remakes and ports counted towards GOTY so I could name Resident Evil 4 as the winner yet again

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Can't wait

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

VideoGames posted:

I wish you could export highlights. It seems really odd to me that they vanish and you cannot save them.
Basically I think Blizzard wants to be able to guarantee that all of their new games will be completely shut down forever whenever they finally pull the plug, probably due to all the poo poo they had with people loving with Diablo and WoW

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

CrashCat posted:

Basically I think Blizzard wants to be able to guarantee that all of their new games will be completely shut down forever whenever they finally pull the plug, probably due to all the poo poo they had with people loving with Diablo and WoW

Are they really hurting that much? I thought WoW and Diablo 3 are still popular. Especially now that they have Overwatch too.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

CrashCat posted:

when they finally pull the plug, in like 30XX

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

What is this?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Gravity Rush 2

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Gravity Rush 2
Looks awesome.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I've never played any game that made flying as satisfying as Gravity Rush and 2 looks even better

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

VideoGames posted:

Are they really hurting that much? I thought WoW and Diablo 3 are still popular. Especially now that they have Overwatch too.

And Hearthstone is going gangbusters. They aren't hurting.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the more successful a company is the closer it is to shutting down tomorrow

the nintendo paradox

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

oddium posted:

the more successful a company is the closer it is to shutting down tomorrow

the nintendo paradox

People say Capcom are doomed but idk

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SFV bombed hard but that was a Sony-funded venture and they can keep making Monster Hunter until the end times so I doubt they're really hurting

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Capcom ports of their old stuff are doing really well for them so I'd expect a lot more of that.
Unlike other Japanese companies though they haven't really found anything lucrative in the mobile scene which is probably hurting, though they have Monster Hunter so not as much as it could.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

mbisonyes.gif

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also yeah in 2096 Capcom will still be porting RE4 and I couldn't be happier

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

In Training posted:

SFV bombed hard but that was a Sony-funded venture and they can keep making Monster Hunter until the end times so I doubt they're really hurting

the system works

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

I've never played any game that made flying as satisfying as Gravity Rush and 2 looks even better
What system is Gravity Rush on?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

VideoGames posted:

I'm not saying Blizzard is going under, that's madness

Just they're probably tired of people emulating their servers and poo poo and then racking up support tickets from idiots who don't know the difference. Pull the plug entirely when you do stop supporting an old game and you save a lot of money

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

What system is Gravity Rush on?

It started on the vita, but the ps4 port has all the dlc and plays better too!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

In Training posted:

Also yeah in 2096 Capcom will still be porting RE4 and I couldn't be happier

Like how Game Freak is now The Pokémon Company, Capcom should change their name to The Resident Evil 4 Company.

I should buy it on PC for times like now when neither my Xbox or Wii are available. It's the only platform I own for which I have no RE4.

Edit: oh apparently there's an Android version too, but I'm probably not going to bother getting that...

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Aug 4, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol the mobile version of RE4 is as bad as you'd expect

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

RE4 is on mobile??

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, it's like it's from some alternate universe where RE4 was an N64 game and broken into tiny stages with five enemies in them. Oh and poorly designed touchscreen controls, obvs.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's on iOS, Android and a Brazilian edutainment system called Zeebo???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYAwupPdY0k

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 4, 2016

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

It's on iOS, Android and a Brazilian edutainment system called Zeebo???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYAwupPdY0k

Mierda!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

legit surprised the Vita hasn't had RE4 yet. Fully expect NX to get RE4 Masterpiece Edition

• Locked thread