Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Ninkobei posted:

I think it is hilarious how PCers don't consider anything under 60fps (Or 144fps?) playable. Meanwhile I was watching an Xbone vs Xbone S comparison and that thing has 30 fps limits in a lot of games..and sometimes doesn't even hit those, dropping to 22 fps in TR and Hitman sometimes. Maybe there's some magic console tech I don't know about to compensate, but god playing on one of those just sounds dreadful

Well once you've seen the buttery goodness that is 100+ FPS G-Sync everything else looks like poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

fletcher posted:

Well once you've seen the buttery goodness that is 100+ FPS G-Sync everything else looks like poo poo!

I get upset when I can't keep above 120 on my 1440p 165hz g-sync, makes me doubt my 980ti is powerful enough.

ColHannibal fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 3, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

ColHannibal posted:

I get upset when I can't keep above 120 on my 1440p 165hz g-sync, makes me doubt my 980ti is powerful enough.

Overclock! :black101:

It's never powerful "Enough" of course...

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

axeil posted:

>1080p phones baffle me. You can barely tell the difference on a 24" screen, how the hell can you tell the difference on a 5" screen? Plus it makes the phone use even more battery. But bigger # = better so :shrug:

If your eyes can't tell the difference, you should see an optometrist, no joke. Individual pixels may blur together, but we don't see in pixels. The human eye notices different features and details with different sensitivity. A typical person can easily notice the sharper and greater detail in even a 4k resolution at small radial dimensions.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

EdEddnEddy posted:

I hope neither of those 4.1 setups were of the Klipsch ProMedia variety. My 4.1's from 2000 are still going strong after a few woofer swaps and a replaced resister or two. Those things are gold to OG PC Sound fans though. They still sound fantastic to this day vs many other systems.

the amp on my promedia 2.1s died :(

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

wicka posted:

the amp on my promedia 2.1s died :(

If you open it up you can probably fix it if you can find the bad resister.

If anything, the 2.1's are still being made so getting replacement parts are much easier than the 4.1's have been.

One of the 2 main resisters that go out in the 4.1's was not quite bad on mine, but it got so hot over time that it pretty much burnt the solder point and traces around it clean off lol.

Replaced it and had to solder a wire to the part the trace ran to next to it. I actually have to go back in there and replace it with a bigger resister as I got one too small, but for now it seems to be holding up and working just fine.

The one thing I need to replace next though is the pot for the pod that controls volume. Thing has to be fiddled with a ton to get it to put even audio to all 4 speakers then I just adjust with Windows. If it gets even the slightest bump, its like 10minutes to find the sweet spot that works again. :argh:

But man when they work, they sound glorious still.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Aw man my 2.1 promedias are in a box somewhere in my parents house - blew out a fuse two times I think, the last time during college when I just ended up too lazy to replace it.

Anyway, onto GPU talk - does anyone have any idea when the short Gigabyte 1070 mini is going to show up in any retailers?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

:siren: Attention Windows 10 users :siren:

Updating to the new version of Win10 will gently caress with your Nvidia control panel settings. It turned my PhysX setting to CPU only, and also completely reset my 3D profiles. Apparently it can also screw with your HDMI range settings too. Lots of reports on Reddit of it doing the same thing to many people.

Edit: Also some reports of it loving with G-Sync settings.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Gunder posted:

Updating to the new version of Win10 will gently caress with your Nvidia control panel settings. It turned my PhysX setting to CPU only, and also completely reset my 3D profiles. Apparently it can also screw with your HDMI range settings too. Lots of reports on Reddit of it doing the same thing to many people.

It hosed with my g-sync settings (turned off g-sync windowed screens) and also has made it so games that used to be able to use your full refresh rate at fullscreen, 165hz in this case, instead default to desktop refresh rate, 120hz because good for movies. That last part's kind of annoying since it takes 15 seconds to get the nvidia control panel open and to the right place to swap things to 165hz now.

edit: okay yeah it also swapped Physx to CPU.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 4, 2016

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

On that note, anyone with a Nvidia graphics card and an overclocked Qnix using the custom monitor driver, you'll need to reinstall it to get games to notice the overclocked refresh rates again. I had to redo the driver, the custom timings in NVCP and also my colour profile after the anniversary update broke all my poo poo.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
God drat, I should check my settings

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Gunder posted:

Why the gently caress would they do this? :ughh:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

axeil posted:

#JustMicrosoftThings

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

axeil posted:

It also reset my power settings to default, so the desktop sleeps very quickly.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Actually for me, every time I install new Nvidia drivers it resets to Physx set to use CPU. I don't think this is a Microsoft issue really.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Looks like G-Sync windowed & fullscreen can cause menu icons to not display properly now. Like when you try to go turn subtitles on the list of options will be blank until you mouse over them.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

axeil posted:

The new update is really an in-place upgrade, and drivers historically don't do well when the OS is upgraded on top of them.

twxabfn
May 12, 2006

Your last, best hope for ROCK in 300,000 kilometers

Male Man posted:

Plenty of PC gamers will happily play at ~45fps, but I think you'll find that the people who post in the GPU Megathread tend to lean more towards the "enthusiast" end of the spectrum.

A lot of people feel that higher frame rate trumps higher resolution, but console games tend to be tweaked towards the latter because it's easy marketing. Every phone and television manufacturer is constantly telling you to get the one with more p's. The Hz fall by the wayside because the customer education is harder.

Framerate drops from a solid 60 were pretty noticeable when I was using a 960 on my old TV...I usually turned down settings at that point.

My new TV does 1080p@120Hz and I've seen a couple occasions where my 1070 will drop into the 90s, but in that case it's not actually noticeable during gameplay - I can only tell if I actually have the frame counter up on the screen. I tried DOOM at 4k for a few minutes (sitting 10.5' from a 70" TV) and didn't notice any difference other than 1/3 the FPS. I might try 4k in games with 60FPS locks (EDF 4.1, if I ever play FO4 again), but if I have to turn down 4k settings to hit 60 I'll probably just stick with 1080p.

That being said, I'm totally spoiled now despite spending 30+ years exclusively console gaming (I hit "enthusiast" status pretty quickly after switching to PC). 30FPS looks like absolute poo poo!

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

twxabfn posted:

That being said, I'm totally spoiled now despite spending 30+ years exclusively console gaming (I hit "enthusiast" status pretty quickly after switching to PC). 30FPS looks like absolute poo poo!

I have recently got into PC gaming too and if anything it makes me appreciate console gaming MORE. Besides the general accessibility and ease of use, lovely framerates were just something I accepted on consoles and was more or less fine with. Now I'm always chasing this drat framerate dragon and anything below 60 FPS makes me itch.

By the way, I bought Crysis 1 for a few bucks on the summer Steam Sale expecting my 1070 to eat it for breakfast (running Crysis 1 max is, stupidly, still something I've always wanted to do even though its like 10 years old now?) and it ran like poo poo! Like, was ANYTHING able to run that game well?

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

AndrewP posted:

I have recently got into PC gaming too and if anything it makes me appreciate console gaming MORE. Besides the general accessibility and ease of use, lovely framerates were just something I accepted on consoles and was more or less fine with. Now I'm always chasing this drat framerate dragon and anything below 60 FPS makes me itch.

By the way, I bought Crysis 1 for a few bucks on the summer Steam Sale expecting my 1070 to eat it for breakfast (running Crysis 1 max is, stupidly, still something I've always wanted to do even though its like 10 years old now?) and it ran like poo poo! Like, was ANYTHING able to run that game well?

If I remember right, Crysis 1 is one of the handful of DX10 games in existence and that wasn't a particularly optimized API to use. DX11 is what made all those fancy DX10 functions actually usable from a performance perspective.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

twxabfn posted:

My new TV does 1080p@120Hz and I've seen a couple occasions where my 1070 will drop into the 90s, but in that case it's not actually noticeable during gameplay - I can only tell if I actually have the frame counter up on the screen. I tried DOOM at 4k for a few minutes (sitting 10.5' from a 70" TV) and didn't notice any difference other than 1/3 the FPS. I might try 4k in games with 60FPS locks (EDF 4.1, if I ever play FO4 again), but if I have to turn down 4k settings to hit 60 I'll probably just stick with 1080p.

Seeing the additional 4k detail becomes harder with distance, very quickly. 120hz is noticeable at any distance and exactly why I prefer that in my TV as well.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
The 30fps lock on a lot of console games helps out for it feeling OK; the "best" graphics at a consistent 30fps can definitely be better than if your PC is struggling and bouncing all over the place from 30-60. And similar to turning on high PC settings, after a while ya just kind of get used to it. I even played Dark Souls on PC at 30fps cause it felt normal after a bit of leaving it there, but when I had it on 60 it was really jarring to hit the toggle back down to 30 for the few cases physics were busted at higher rates. 'Course now I'm at the point where I don't want to even see what a 144hz *sync screen looks like cause my upgrade budget is already just going towards keeping things at 100fps on a Qnix, nooo what have I become..

My take on getting really good perf out of Crysis 1 is you need the latest most expensive CPU on LN2 to try and hit 6Ghz+. I like to revisit the BUT CAN IT RUN CRYSIS trope every upgrade and even played through the whole series again on a 2500k + 7970 and it wasn't till then I could hit a comfy 60fps. Even into Crysis 3, the more CPU you can throw at it the better off you'll be. For 1 ya need crazy beastly core clocks to overcome whatever happens with their coding; GPU upgrades have mattered less and less for 1 and 2 for me. Gotta say they've aged drat well though for 9 years old and still held up visually enough for me to dig playing em through all the way a year or two ago.

(No idea if Skylake muscles through Cry1 but now I'm curious.)

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
RX 470 cards are on sale at Newegg. For prices from $179 to $209 for 4GB cards and $239 for 8GB cards. AMD's Polaris launch just gets worse and worse. Who would buy an $239 8GB RX 470 over an AIB GTX 1060?

I blame coin miners.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Aug 4, 2016

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

PBCrunch posted:

RX 470 cards are on sale at Newegg. For prices from $179 to $209 for 4GB cards and $239 for 8GB cards. AMD's Polaris launch just gets worse and worse. Who would buy an $239 8GB RX 470 over an AIB GTX 1060?

Are you kidding me? So the 470 is at the exact same price as the 480 is supposed to be? What's the point?

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 4, 2016

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

PBCrunch posted:

I blame coin miners.

But-but-but evil Nvidia and their $300 Founders 1060.

twxabfn
May 12, 2006

Your last, best hope for ROCK in 300,000 kilometers

AndrewP posted:

In my experience, PC gaming detracts from the giddy "yay I just got this new game!" feeling, since you have to spend the first few hours tweaking settings and testing to get it to run right for your system; but after that, once you've got it dialed in and get to enjoy smooth framerates and better-than-console detail settings, it totally makes up for the tweaking part and is overall way better.

Or, with a powerful enough card you can just say "gently caress it, set everything to max" and it'll all be fine right off the bat. Hence the 1070. :smuggo:

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Why is AMD falling flat on their face with this launch? gently caress coin miners and all but why can't they keep these things in stock? Hell, there are only five RX 470 models listen on Newegg and three are already sold out before 9AM central.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

"Plunge" taken - $650 CAD for the MSI 1070 at Canada Computers.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_1200_557_559&item_id=096792

God I hate our dollar. :(

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Power draw aside, you can get a new 390 for the price of a 470. Very disappointing with pricing.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

PBCrunch posted:

I blame coin miners.

I just bought the $179 PowerColor 470. I would have rather paid $150, but figured that it's still a decent deal when you consider that it comes with a heatpipe cooler when not even the reference 480's have one.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
at 179 the 470 seems like a good enough buy. I probably would have picked it up as well to replace my 7950 (mostly to get freesync support) but once it goes over $200 you might as well try to grab a 480.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

The French Army! posted:

Why is AMD falling flat on their face with this launch? gently caress coin miners and all but why can't they keep these things in stock? Hell, there are only five RX 470 models listen on Newegg and three are already sold out before 9AM central.

Conspiracy theories:

Board partner margins on RX 480 were rumored to be very thin.
Reference RX 480 4GB was not a real card, it was just an 8GB card with a nuked BIOS. This probably didn't make board partners feel good about working with AMD at all. Would you want to build a $240 card and sell it for $200?
Board partner manufacturing capacity is utilized building (more lucrative?) GTX 10*0 cards?
Board partner PCB design capacity is utilized designing custom GTX 10*0 cards?
Custom RX 4*0 card design required additional engineering resources in light of reference RX 480 PCIe power problems?
Lots of 300 series cards in the sales pipeline? It must be noted that the 290/290X/390/390X are still faster cards than any Polaris offering.

I don't know if any of this is true. If any of it is true, what incentive do board partners have to design and build AMD cards? AMDs market share is in the toilet. They don't have any compelling options on the high-end, where board partner profit margins are likely higher. Nvidia does what it takes to get consumers excited about their products, while AMDs marketing stares at the floor.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I'm not having any luck with my 980ti and Fury (non-x) bids :negative:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
well its not as bad as the 300 series

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

well its not as bad as the 300 series

They should put this on the box as an endorsement quote.

Still, the RX 470 is consistently slower than 970s and most of them are going to be in the $200 range, not the ~$150 range? Ouch.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

PBCrunch posted:

Conspiracy theories:

Board partner margins on RX 480 were rumored to be very thin.
Reference RX 480 4GB was not a real card, it was just an 8GB card with a nuked BIOS. This probably didn't make board partners feel good about working with AMD at all. Would you want to build a $240 card and sell it for $200?
Board partner manufacturing capacity is utilized building (more lucrative?) GTX 10*0 cards?
Board partner PCB design capacity is utilized designing custom GTX 10*0 cards?
Custom RX 4*0 card design required additional engineering resources in light of reference RX 480 PCIe power problems?
Lots of 300 series cards in the sales pipeline? It must be noted that the 290/290X/390/390X are still faster cards than any Polaris offering.

I don't know if any of this is true. If any of it is true, what incentive do board partners have to design and build AMD cards? AMDs market share is in the toilet. They don't have any compelling options on the high-end, where board partner profit margins are likely higher. Nvidia does what it takes to get consumers excited about their products, while AMDs marketing stares at the floor.

There is no conspiracy: Unless you are a AMD-only AIB, would you rather cater to the brand with higher marketshare and margins combined or the other way round?

IIRC Digitimes a few months back mentioned several "smaller" AIBs may quit the GPU business altogether, no doubt they are talking about the AMD-only ones. HIS in particular doesn't even have a custom RX480 yet, so I'm aint remotely surprised if they pull a Biostar/ECS exit out of retail.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 4, 2016

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I can't really see any reason to buy the rx470 in the UK. They are the same price as 970s, the same as reference 4gb 480s, and not much cheaper than the cheapest 1060s.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I'm still remarkably stunned that the RX 480 is still selling on mining *at all* when the 1070 is the actual magic super-efficient monopoly money generating card even at its highest prices and plenty of stock in waiting.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I'm still remarkably stunned that the RX 480 is still selling on mining *at all* when the 1070 is the actual magic super-efficient monopoly money generating card even at its highest prices and plenty of stock in waiting.

buttcoin miners being idiots isn't exactly new territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I mean, is there proof of that? Not like I'd be shocked if they were but money/watt/time is literally everything to those guys, miners buying up all the stock may just be a rumor. I don't see why this couldn't be a normal high demand selling out scenario