Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ugh and I'm convinced that we're not getting Amora in Thor 3 because Enchantress is in Suicide Squad.

It comes to mind that the heavy focus on the Joker in the trailers will backfire when he's barely in it, plus they don't get what the Joker nuts are expecting, a 2016 version of Ledger's joker most likely. There's no other reason to focus on such a minor part of the film other than to hook fans of it, and in this day and age people can register their complaints instantly and people will actually see it.

The sad thing, is I was really, really looking forward to it. Most of these characters have never appeared in live action, especially Harle, and Will Smith looks like he's returning to the 90s Big Willy style I loved so much before WIld Wild West.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Travis343 posted:

There's a lot of people ITT that are like "Oh no, this sucks. I'm still gonna see it though".

Like you realize you don't have to go see it? I know we're comic nerds and we feel like we have to be aware of comic nerd stuff, often to our detriment, but really, you don't have to go see it. I went and saw BvS because I felt like I had to form an opinion on it, because I'm real into Batman. I wish I hadn't! I'm not going to go see movies that I think will be terrible anymore.

Go see Train to Busan this weekend (I already said this in the Greenlight thread, but good movies really need to be supported).

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jesus this is brutal. DC needs to get some creative control over their products stat or its just going to be more of this poo poo.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

I saw it last night and it was not good. More in the spoilers!

Joker is barely in it and is pretty boring. Jared Leto seems to be dressing up to be edgy but isn't menacing in the least.

Harley is based only around the Joker and doesn't care about anything.

Ending is straight out of the OG Ghostbusters

Jesus loving Christ! Another goddamn pop song?

The only character I liked was El Diablo, once they decided to use him

What was the brother of Enchantress' name? Actually nm. I dont care and neither did anyone else

Harley's jokes seemed to hit much better in the trailers rather than on film

The Batman and Flash cameo's were cool. I liked them.

Boomerang threw a boomerang in an interesting way literally once (the camera to spy on boring witch siblings)

The opening is so long and keeps dragging.

Rick Flagg was boring and I had no investment in his character or his dumb relationship (which was created by Waller??)

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I legit do not understand why Joel Kinnaman keeps getting cast in stuff. He doesn't seem to have any charisma or personality.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

SlimGoodbody posted:

I legit do not understand why Joel Kinnaman keeps getting cast in stuff. He doesn't seem to have any charisma or personality.

exact same thing with jai courtney

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

twistedmentat posted:

Ugh and I'm convinced that we're not getting Amora in Thor 3 because Enchantress is in Suicide Squad.

It comes to mind that the heavy focus on the Joker in the trailers will backfire when he's barely in it, plus they don't get what the Joker nuts are expecting, a 2016 version of Ledger's joker most likely. There's no other reason to focus on such a minor part of the film other than to hook fans of it, and in this day and age people can register their complaints instantly and people will actually see it.

The sad thing, is I was really, really looking forward to it. Most of these characters have never appeared in live action, especially Harle, and Will Smith looks like he's returning to the 90s Big Willy style I loved so much before WIld Wild West.

They've got Skurge in there, they've got to have her too. They could just call her 'Amora' if they're worried about the Enchantress brand being diluted or whatever.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Blockhouse posted:

exact same thing with jai courtney

Hopefully he fucks off to wherever Sam Worthington is now.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Making 3 more Avatar films.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

At least they stopped putting Wentworth Miller in stuff.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Heathen posted:

Saying that Suicide Squad is worse than Fantastic Four is a little misleading. FF is not good but it's definitely not 9% bad. Catwoman is also 9% and it's way worse.

I'd put Fantastic Four with Green Lantern (26) and BvS (27) and if SS is doing 32% then that sounds about right.

What doesn't sound right are the complaints that it's slow and boring. This should be a big dumb movie with sexy bad girls and angry bad mans and large explosions and thin plots. This should be anything but boring.

I haven't seen Catwoman but the basketball scene is enough for me to know all I need about its quality.

First it was Oceans 12 and now Fantastic 4, the movies that SS is being compared against in recent pages make me think that the movie DCU is completely hosed. I think Wonder Woman will tank because of the reaction to BvS and SS, and depending on how far they have got with the other movies, I reckon Warner Bros will be done with it all. They should cut loose all the JL stuff including the spin-offs and go with a solo Affleck Batman movie that touches none of the other characters.

The worst thing is, all the superhero movies are starting to fatigue me.

Amazing Spider Man 1&2
Avengers 2
Thor 2
X-Men Apocalypse
MoS
BvS
SS
Fantastic 4

Thats a non-chronological list (in rough order of increasing disappointment) of super hero movies that are bad. Going further back you can add Spider Man 3 and Iron Man 2 to that list.

Ironically its been the stuff that looked worse on paper beforehand that has been better eg GotG, Deadpool.

If Dr Strange turns out poo poo (please Cytorak let it not), the superhero genre may have already peaked and be on a steep decline.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Is it contractually obligated that generic Australian dude 'lead' actors have to star in disappointing Terminator sequels?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Yvonmukluk posted:

They've got Skurge in there, they've got to have her too. They could just call her 'Amora' if they're worried about the Enchantress brand being diluted or whatever.

She's not on the list, just Hela, unless she's a super secret last minute casting, I doubt she'll be there.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Lurdiak posted:

God, I thought I was the only one!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Seriously, people don't like Wentworth Miller? I think he's one of the best casting choices of all time for any superhero media as Captain Cold, and he was also perfectly decent as the lead on Prison Break.

I admit I haven't seen Kinnaman, Courtney, or Worthington in anything yet, but they all seem pretty bland and generic, and Miller is definitely not those things.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

He was never a thing in movies. He did Resident Evil, but nobody in those movies is ever expected to catch on.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

teagone posted:

They honestly should have just made a live-action version of Assault on Arkham.

This is true. When I heard that they even casted a Joker I thought that is what they were doing to do.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Seriously, people don't like Wentworth Miller?

Nope, not at all. I realize I'm in the minority here, but I can't stand his Captain Cold and was glad when he left the show.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kinneman is the only worthwhile thing about the American version of The Killing TV show

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Seriously, people don't like Wentworth Miller?
Not particularly. I don't hate him either, I just don't find him particularly noteworthy on Flash (which is all I have to go on).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

JT Smiley posted:

Nope, not at all. I realize I'm in the minority here, but I can't stand his Captain Cold and was glad when he left the show.

Well now he's going to be appearing on Legends, Flash, AND Arrow!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just got back and i enjoyed it. I think it suffers from editing by committee. A fair bit of stuff i've seen in trailers on teasers just wasn't in it. and some of the cuts are obviously butchered.

I still enjoyed it i loving loved Harley and the Joker. So did my brother, who's pretty well gay for anything Joker related.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

JT Smiley posted:

GOOD NEWS! He left Legends of Tomorrow to be a universe regular for ALLLLL CW DC shows.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

Just got back and i enjoyed it. I think it suffers from editing by committee. A fair bit of stuff i've seen in trailers on teasers just wasn't in it. and some of the cuts are obviously butchered.

I still enjoyed it i loving loved Harley and the Joker. So did my brother, who's pretty well gay for anything Joker related.

There seems to be some serious dysfunction in the WB comicbook movie pipeline. For Marvel, which has been largely open about its writing process in articles like this or this , it involves a core crew (of which members are free to join and leave) being given enormous latitutde to table stories and work through numerous drafts, while interacting with other crews currently working on their movies and Marvel brass (that tends to be hands-off except for a few direct notes touching on future plot threads) in a free-form yet close manner.

I'm trying to not just be a Marvel fan-boy here, because this is really interesting to compare the two companies structural ways of doing business. Someone must have written a paper on this already, showing why one business environment's healthy approach to creating product (as successful as GE's brutalist philosophy under Jack Welch, yet almost diametrically opposite) compares to WB's frantic shortsightedness and continuing second place status.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Shageletic posted:

There seems to be some serious dysfunction in the WB comicbook movie pipeline. For Marvel, which has been largely open about its writing process in articles like this or this , it involves a core crew (of which members are free to join and leave) being given enormous latitutde to table stories and work through numerous drafts, while interacting with other crews currently working on their movies and Marvel brass (that tends to be hands-off except for a few direct notes touching on future plot threads) in a free-form yet close manner.

I'm trying to not just be a Marvel fan-boy here, because this is really interesting to compare the two companies structural ways of doing business. Someone must have written a paper on this already, showing why one business environment's healthy approach to creating product (as successful as GE's brutalist philosophy under Jack Welch, yet almost diametrically opposite) compares to WB's frantic shortsightedness and continuing second place status.

When phrased like this, it seems like, no loving poo poo, Marvel's "committee" approach is vastly superior. Just being able to have a semi-consistent team to help break stories seems incredibly helpful, and the thing about the number of drafts is also great, especially considering what I posted earlier about Ayer having to write the Suicide Squad script in six weeks.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Remember that the DC committee approach (or at least as close to it as we'll get in the current climate) led to a book called "52".

Remember also that Dan Didio hates the gently caress out of that book and has on two separate occasions tried to engineer a successor, both times resulting in a complete farcical failure. So I would argue that it's a problem tied to its culture, possibly also a problem tied to its corporate structure -- WB is very Top Down and has, on numerous occasions, allegedly been very close to gutting DC's publishing line.

DC cinema is also reactive (to Marvel's success) and following an inverted structure with the JL line: instead of peppering their CU with individual character movies and building to a Team, they're starting with the Big Guns trinity, straight into a unified team movie then breaking out for the secondary heroes like Flash.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Maybe its not even useful to look at it as a "DC" culture, considering how hands on WB was with Suicide Squad. I haven't been able to find any articles about the writing process for the DC stable, but Geoff Johns has been linked to writing at least a couple, right? It seems like a much more conventional blockbuster type process, the screenplay being the least focused on and important part of creating these types of movie.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 4, 2016

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

RevKrule posted:

GOOD NEWS! He left Legends of Tomorrow to be a universe regular for ALLLLL CW DC shows.

Fine by me, I'm dropping the Flash all together after this last season and I don't watch those other shows.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

To be fair, that's absolutely Marvel Studios' creative culture (screenplay least important, director most important). I honestly think the problem with DC is that, as I mentioned before, it's not just DC in charge of the DCCU; unlike the Disney/Marvel relationship, wherein Disney leaves Marvel more or less alone to do what they want (so the vision is contained to a smaller number of people and more importantly, executives, with Feige being more or less the final word on creative decisions for MCU films). WB, on the other hand, seems far more hands-on with the DC movies, and they seem far more reactive and prone to panicking then Disney has been. BvS was a bad film either way, but it was made worse by awkward and forced cameos and a whole bunch of awful Justice League trailer bait, and the SS stuff sounds like it's WB moving away from the much-ballyhooed "creative first" imperative that they kept emphasizing was what made them so different/better than Disney.

Also I read the THR article about SS's troubles and some anonymous insider mentioned that SS has gotta hit a 750-800 million worldwide total just to break even. I dunno if that's true, but if it is Suicide Squad is totally hosed. Like...I'll be shocked if SS breaks 650 million.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Wait I thought Marvel was the evil corporate fatcat who strangled the director and forced everyone to follow the Big Picture and DC was the artistic nurturer who gave directors free reign

The narratives are changing too fast I'm so confused

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

AnonSpore posted:

Wait I thought Marvel was the evil corporate fatcat who strangled the director and forced everyone to follow the Big Picture and DC was the artistic nurturer who gave directors free reign

Marvel is definitely demanding that its directors make movies that fit into their vision. I guess the main difference is that Marvel's vision has proven to be insanely popular and successful.

Meanwhile, DC appears from the outside to be committed to pushing grim and joyless darkfests no matter how much people say "WE WANT SUPERHEROES TO BE FUN", so, people aren't that enthused about whoever actually makes the decisions.

(Like, as far as I can see people have been making fun of DC for being grim and joyless for over a decade now and they still refuse to pivot.)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

AnonSpore posted:

Both are the same really, it's just Marvel picked a better tone to enforce.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

DC has been reacting to Marvel since the 60s, this is really nothing new.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Rand Brittain posted:

(Like, as far as I can see people have been making fun of DC for being grim and joyless for over a decade now and they still refuse to pivot.)

When exactly did DC as a whole make that poo poo to a darker tone? I remember giving up on Green Lantern books sometime during the SInestro war when characters were getting mutilated all over the place.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

AnonSpore posted:

I mean, make no mistake, Marvel's enforcing their brand and making sure each film conforms to their overall creative vision, I just suspect there's far less cooks in the kitchen Marvel side combined with the fact that Marvel has a brand and creative vision to enforce. DC/WB seems to be flailing about for something, anything to work, considering how a very large percentage of the SS reviews make it sound like the movie's a bad copy of Guardians of the Galaxy. Again, reactionary; DC movies are reactionary, and you're seeing the creative fallout of what happens when you do that.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

JT Smiley posted:

When exactly did DC as a whole make that poo poo to a darker tone? I remember giving up on Green Lantern books sometime during the SInestro war when characters were getting mutilated all over the place.

The rise of Johns has left quite an impact on DC, even as his direct presence has diminished.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Rand Brittain posted:

Marvel is definitely demanding that its directors make movies that fit into their vision. I guess the main difference is that Marvel's vision has proven to be insanely popular and successful.

More like Marvel is hiring/using directors that share the same vision/are a good fit with the vision.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That is not really true.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

I suspect another difference is the creators on Marvel's side have a lot more respect for the source material and especially the characters they're working with. Marvel's had some missteps (imo), but even in their worst offerings I never got the feeling like the screenwriter thought the character was stupid and couldn't wait to kill him off (like Goyer with Superman) or that the director really wished he could have the main character raped to up the edginess content (like Snyder with Batman).

I'm not a mind-reader so I can't know for certain, but with a lot of DC's movie and television offerings I often get the impression that at least parts of the creative team are actively embarrassed to be working on a live action comic book show, and thereby feel the need to redeem it somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Both are the same really, it's just Marvel picked a better tone to enforce.

That's the key. A uniform vision. WB's tripartite organizational system (Kevin Tajahara (sp?) on top, with another two execs underneath with overlapping responsibilities over DC movies) is a system engendered to create confusion and disfunction.

• Locked thread