Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011
The UAT test ran at 45+ FPS for me on second highest settings when I've barely been clearing 25+ at minimum for the last several patches, so that's good at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Orv posted:

The UAT test ran at 45+ FPS for me on second highest settings when I've barely been clearing 25+ at minimum for the last several patches, so that's good at least.

From what I've seen of other UE4 games, when it's running in debug/dev mode it chugs really badly. Once it gets optimized it runs really well. Battlefleet Gothic Armada was like this as well

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
https://twitter.com/40kcrusade/status/761246832454356992

Looks like they finally got GW approval, Orks on tomorrow's livestream. The stream goes live at 2pm EST on twitch and youtube, and they're posted they're as well afterwards. Orks coming to the Early Access build next week unless something goes terribly wrong.

Swooping Hawks looked pretty much done last stream so they might patch it in with Orks. Still haven't seen any Banshee gameplay and the founders I asked weren't exactly gushing about them being totally complete. Orks are coming with all their non-hero classes,

Also it's still $25 on GMG if you login, but it's been that price for over two weeks so no rush probably. Just a heads up since someone might get WAAAGH fever and buy the game on steam as soon as they hear orks are out for full price.

SOME SHILL TRYING TO GET REFERRALS posted:

Be aware of all of that info if you buy it, since you're forgoing steam refunds in exchange for saving $15. You also should get $20 of ingame currency for cosmetics, and an additional four dollars if you use a referral after you buy the game.

Apparently the price of the game itself will go up to $50 and the free currency will be reduced from $20 to $5 on launch, meaning you're saving $25 and getting an extra $16 in hat dollars.

You don't need to use my referral link, but make sure you use someone's if you buy the game since you get the aforementioned TIDY SUM of $4 $5 (turns out 4000 RTP = $5 for some reason) in hat monies : EC-RMG5UQ8IU7LS6

On the topic of hat monies, here's a quote directly from a dev on what exactly the RTP/paid weapons are :

Gboon - Yesterday at 9:55 PM
is the current plan for alternate weapons* still "they're equal to top level stuff, but they're locked into a specific configuration rather than being heavily customizable"(edited)
NoahCedarWard - Yesterday at 9:56 PM
Yeah @Gboon that's still pretty much the plan.

Shitty Wizard fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Aug 5, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011
They're talking about their loot being sidegrades rather than a vertical progression of stats, but we'll see how well that holds up. Everyone loves to say that before launch but there's always something that's just better.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Did they ever make Eldar not suck a bag of dicks?

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
Is this still a janky poo poo fest? I have lost my will to even login and confirm that is a janky poo poo fest.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Did they ever make Eldar not suck a bag of dicks?

Ehhhh, they're better than they were but the current live patch has basically broken everything, so no-one is in a good place.

neonbregna posted:

Is this still a janky poo poo fest? I have lost my will to even login and confirm that is a janky poo poo fest.

Getting better, but I can't recommend playing the current live patch at all. Unless you want to revisit Space Marine MP where jump assaults were unstoppable terrors that slaughtered entire teams.

Orv fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 6, 2016

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Orv posted:

They're talking about their loot being sidegrades rather than a vertical progression of stats, but we'll see how well that holds up. Everyone loves to say that before launch but there's always something that's just better.

Yeah, the wait and see if they gently caress it up approach seems best. I'm surprised they didn't make them just cosmetics, but as long as top tier weapons aren't a pain to get the sidegrade thing might be okay.

Orv posted:

Ehhhh, they're better than they were but the current live patch has basically broken everything, so no-one is in a good place.

Getting better, but I can't recommend playing the current live patch at all. Unless you want to revisit Space Marine MP where jump assaults were unstoppable terrors that slaughtered entire teams.

The good news is next week we'll have all four races and most of the classes since orks are going to have all five at their release (swooping hawk looked finished enough to get in, banshee they haven't shown off so it may be waiting for GW approval), that they can start actually balancing stuff instead of loosely keeping an eye on stuff to make sure something isn't game breakingly OP.

Orv
May 4, 2011
They've gotta support that ten year plan somehow!

Honestly, Steam tells me I've played 91 hours of Eternal Crusade. I've unreservedly enjoyed probably about thirty of those hours, but I've enjoyed those thirty hours enough to keep chasing more of them. If you were to look at my hilarious number of Steam games, currently at 1,058, of the ones I've played a pretty large majority of them have an hour or less, because I decide pretty quickly whether a game holds any interest for me or not. At this point, I wouldn't recommend Eternal Crusade to anyone sight unseen, and if I did recommend it it'd be with a list of provisos as long as my arm. If they can fix it up, polish it appreciably, and it isn't just swinging between totally insane balance quirks each patch, I think it'll be a perfectly good third person lobby shooter with an okay Warhammer skin.

Will they manage that? :shrug:

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
Balance four races, each with multiple unique classes is hard. Add in a variety of weapons blocked by paywall and exp, then you have one tall order to fill. Most games fail half of that and get abandoned by the community before they can fix it, but if nothing else the game is fun on occasion, so who knows. And they have been consistent with patches. What I'm getting at is could this be the actual WoW killer? Only time and common sense will tell.

Orv
May 4, 2011
WoW's too busy killing itself. :rimshot:

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Orv posted:

WoW's too busy killing itself. :rimshot:

Well, they were during Warlords of Draenor. Even if they got a massive amount of people to buy it at launch and resub, they had the sharpest decline in WoW history. People liked the content enough to ignore that it was tied to boring and grindy (but profitable) garrison poo poo, but then they had a massive content drought and lack of existing content even though the team is bigger than ever. Probably cannibalized the WoD team to work on Legion, but at least that looks decent for a WoW expansion.

Anyways, I think everyone is excited for a 40k game that not only isn't just jerking of Space Marines, isn't a (fun) RTS, has pretty big battle sizes with real players representing each unit, and has some decent shooter gameplay instead of some floaty janky gameplay.

I also think everyone recognizes the dumb poo poo.

-Rogue Trader weapons being lovely non moddable versions of top level gear instead of pure cosmetics is weird and hopefully top level easy is really easy to get
-The balance swinging from one extreme to the other like Orv said is something that hopefully gets minimized in the future

Also according to the latest stream, the PC version is launching before consoles, so if anyone sees it launched on Steam in the next few months (they even said summer is still possible since summer goes till September 21st), make sure to ask for the current state of the game since it's not the same day 1 as consoles.

Orv
May 4, 2011
When it "launches" I'm gonna see where it ends up two weeks after and make a real Games thread for it if it's any good. If not this can stay as purgatory/monument to stupidity.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Everytime I try to play its glitch as gently caress and assault marines just fly around never dying.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The people still playing the game on the regular can't stop themselves from abusing the latest broken poo poo, which for the last two patches has been assaults and plasma. Playing during the weekends is a bit better, but if you play during late night or week days it's just people with 300+ hours who play nothing but JPA.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Orv posted:

When it "launches" I'm gonna see where it ends up two weeks after and make a real Games thread for it if it's any good. If not this can stay as purgatory/monument to stupidity.

Its so far downgraded from the original product that they'd have to try pretty hard to gently caress up what's left. Should be somewhat fun within two weeks of launch as long as balance isn't too out of wack.

At "launch" it's going to be a 4 faction asymmetrical arena shooter with 30v30 (possibly 40v40) with no persistent faction warfare beyond a map that changes color based on who wins the most battles or such, with the actual rewards tied for the persistent warfare being added "very soon" after launch. At this point the main ways they could gently caress up this barebones version of the game is if its fundamentally broken (extremely horrible performance that makes xcom 2 seem as smooth as dota, no anti-hacking solution, or extremely buggy/glitchy far beyond what we've seen in alpha/beta/whatever), or if the cash shop is pay to win.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Eisenhorn: Xenos is out on Steam. Reviews not looking great so far sadly, though Steam reviews being what they are and all.

Orks probably out today for EC.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Orv posted:

Eisenhorn: Xenos is out on Steam. Reviews not looking great so far sadly, though Steam reviews being what they are and all.

Orks probably out today for EC.

No go for Orks yet for some reason, although there was a steamDB entry updated just two hours ago for a "qa testing (dev)" build, so maybe it ran into last minute "oh gently caress we can't ship this yet" issues.

They also mentioned a founders patch today that I'm not sure actually happened (that might be the qa testing build above rather than orks), so they might be rolling that into the Ork patch and delaying it a bit further again :

quote:

Hello Crusaders!

Happy hump day - we're officially halfway through the week and as we approach the end of the day we're preparing to update UAT.

We've got a new build cooking and waiting for another pass from QA before we push the big button! If QA gives the nod we'll update this evening and here's what's new in this patch:

1) We're doing a complete character wipe, including XP. All of the weapons you purchased with RTC will be removed and your RTC will be refunded to your account. (Any relic/Founder items/weapons will of course remain in your account)

2) Wargear & loadout point revamp

3) Melee fixes

Keep an eye on our social pages, we'll post when the build goes up! @40kcrusade

Happy slaughtering!

Katie -- aka glitter grenade queen

Orv
May 4, 2011
That patch went to UAT and it fixes a few of the melee problems that had cropped up during the previous UAT test. Orks are pretty much ready to go as far as I can tell, though obviously I don't know if there's some showstopper we don't know about.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Orks are out, they seem non-competitive but it's hard to tell if that's a balance problem or a all the spergs are playing Chaos and Space Marines problem.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Can the Orks paint everything red?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Currently colors are based on your sub-faction. Vehicles are the main paint scheme stuff right now, and I think only one faction gets red ones.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

poo poo game

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Orv posted:

Orks are out, they seem non-competitive but it's hard to tell if that's a balance problem or a all the spergs are playing Chaos and Space Marines problem.

They're on par with Space Marines in close range, shittier at mid range than Space Marines, and have no long range besides a lucky rocket.

On the flip side, Eldar are better than Orks at everything. Shurikens are a swift and merciless death, in melee range they do just as much damage as an Ork it feels like as well as having smaller hitboxes.

Note that Ork head hitboxes are nearly in their chest because of the slouch, so Eldar's speed plus their tiny hitboxes makes them gods. You can move while charging your heavy melee so good loving luck catching an Eldar in melee range.

I understand them being poo poo in long range and sorta bad at mid range, but they should be a loving tornado of death that is extremely hard to 1v1 in melee range, not Eldar walks backwards while firing their Shurikens into your massive head box negating the heaviest of armors with ease or simply being better at melee than an ORK.

Been looking forward to Orks, but playing against Eldar is a loving pain. Luckily plasma deffgun for the loota is evening the odds a bit for now.

Shitty Wizard fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Aug 13, 2016

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
gently caress Eldar.

Orv
May 4, 2011

lovely Wizard posted:

They're on par with Space Marines in close range, shittier at mid range than Space Marines, and have no long range besides a lucky rocket.

On the flip side, Eldar are better than Orks at everything. Shurikens are a swift and merciless death, in melee range they do just as much damage as an Ork it feels like as well as having smaller hitboxes.

Note that Ork head hitboxes are nearly in their chest because of the slouch, so Eldar's speed plus their tiny hitboxes makes them gods. You can move while charging your heavy melee so good loving luck catching an Eldar in melee range.

I understand them being poo poo in long range and sorta bad at mid range, but they should be a loving tornado of death that is extremely hard to 1v1 in melee range, not Eldar walks backwards while firing their Shurikens into your massive head box negating the heaviest of armors with ease or simply being better at melee than an ORK.

Been looking forward to Orks, but playing against Eldar is a loving pain. Luckily plasma deffgun for the loota is evening the odds a bit for now.

It's interesting, because now that dbash is actually working for ranged classes, preventing JPAs and GAs from just fast spamming you to death, I've noticed that you basically can't kill a ranged character in melee if they're any good. Since losing a clang doesn't actually directly damage the loser, and the stagger is so low that they can just clang again until they get a dbash in. Then you have to power attack, except they can now cancel and move in dbash so you'll never once hit someone with a power attack if you're fighting someone straight up 1v1. It's pretty weird, it turns out the melee systems were way less frustrating when they didn't work, because I just accepted as a ranged class that I was dead the minute someone with a power sword showed up. Combine that with the Eldar speed and even I, a bad at melee, can take out two or three marines as a Warlock in a couple seconds.

As for the ork headshot problem, it's funny because there's been a thread in the founders forum talking about that since the moment orks were put on the UAT and it's gotten no attention at all. Orks in general seem pretty squishy for what is supposed to be a horrible green tide of punching.

Also lovely Wizard you should probably add me on Steam since we're the only two idiots playing this on the regular. http://steamcommunity.com/id/orv

Orv fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 14, 2016

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

Anyone else feel this game would be 10x better if players didn't die so easily? Like give everyone double the health they have now so there are actual melee fights that last longer than 3 seconds.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

BurtLington posted:

Anyone else feel this game would be 10x better if players didn't die so easily? Like give everyone double the health they have now so there are actual melee fights that last longer than 3 seconds.

TTK matters

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I don't understand how melee works in this. Someone is spamming fast attacks on me so I hit both mouse buttons to counter but it doesn't do anything and I just get stabbed to death?

Orv
May 4, 2011

BadLlama posted:

I don't understand how melee works in this. Someone is spamming fast attacks on me so I hit both mouse buttons to counter but it doesn't do anything and I just get stabbed to death?

Are you an ork? Dbash is currently broken for them, but it works for everyone else, most of the time. :downs:

How it's supposed to work is fast attack beasts power, power beats dbash and dbash beats fast. For the first time since they let the public play it, dbash is working more reliably than it ever has, but it still gets spammed through occasionally.

Orv fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 14, 2016

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Orv posted:

Are you an ork? Dbash is currently broken for them, but it works for everyone else, most of the time. :downs:

I have only been playing ork so I guess there you go. RIP orks

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Game any good now? The last pages seem like there is a somewhat good fun game in here.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's in there, remains to be seen if they bring it to the fore or it gets lost in a bunch of bullshit. Like I said in a previous post, when it works really well it delivers very cool Warhammer-esque moments, and I keep chasing those through the bad moments.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Sazabi posted:

What I'm getting at is could this be the actual WoW killer? Only time and common sense will tell.

Haaaaahahahaahahahhaahh. No, this game will not be the WoW Killer. There will be no WoW killer.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Exmond posted:

Haaaaahahahaahahahhaahh. No, this game will not be the WoW Killer. There will be no WoW killer.

Have you seen the FFXIV census data? Apparently the game referred to as the "WoW killer" only has 550,000 active subscribers. Not saying that's bad, but people are really blowing its popularity out of proportion.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Is the PVE ran off of a p2p basis or something? I did one with a bunch of russians and it was laggy as all hell.

Orv
May 4, 2011
:shrug:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

BadLlama posted:

Is the PVE ran off of a p2p basis or something? I did one with a bunch of russians and it was laggy as all hell.

Just like the original Space Marine!

Orv
May 4, 2011
I assume the PvE is P2P but there's also the consideration that they released PvE and everyone played it for a week and then stopped, so it seems like development and fixes for it are back burnered at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
While I still think Orks are less durable than they need to be and their shootas need to be much better in close range, the hotfix two days ago fixed Orks melee not connecting and now they're actually pretty good in melee. Once they patch in the power klaw and their shield (shield orks are allowed to capture points unlike shield marines) and increase the size of the Ork model so their headbox isn't so low like they said they're doing, they should be in a pretty good place.

• Locked thread