Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Just ignore the mountain of historical evidence that says none of those things are a good idea. History is meaningless because nobody has freedomed hard enough to make those things work.

"On the other hand, all of recorded history" is such a great all purpose response to libertarian ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Curvature of Earth posted:

Keep in mind there's a range of libertarian opinions on this. Hayek thought competing currencies are natural and good, while others think the market will inevitably standardize around a single currency (usually gold, though the case of that link, bitcoin).
The market has standardized around a single currency, It's USD. Especially in the wake of Brexit.
Not fully but still.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I think I've made it worse by varying sentence length somehow.

jrodbot posted:

Considering I have a fetish for private property rights? The economy is not fit for civilized people. If you have a fire extinguisher in your home or appartment so you can pay a private call with his girlfriend. Why is it that leftists seem to be wealthy? You don't have any educated idea about how the business should be my determination.

You skirt the issue of taking a stand on firm moral principles. Personally I am a libertarian who is starving. And let's be real here. There is nothing wrong with this.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Oh god. The "his girlfriend" bit there is almost certainly from Jrod's shining moment of accusing Caros of leaving the fold because of a bad breakup or the like.

You've created a monster, but at least it will starve itself to death for us.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Curvature of Earth posted:

Today I learned that a currency doesn't need to be actually used to be viable, just hoarded. This is why rare stamps are accepted in literally any store while you can't buy poo poo with a hundred-dollar bill.

A Russian oligarch is buying a Fifth Avenue penthouse in Manhattan. He awkwardly passes a Klimt to his realtor, and recieves a Rothko in change. This is his fourth residence in New York City; he has never been to New York and resides full-time in Krasnoyarsk, Siberia, in a 45,000 square foot mansion mocked up to look like a huge sailing ship.

Schenck v. U.S. fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 2, 2016

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

VioletCorsica posted:

I think I've made it worse by varying sentence length somehow.

This is the greatest thing I've ever read, actually.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

theshim posted:

Oh god. The "his girlfriend" bit there is almost certainly from Jrod's shining moment of accusing Caros of leaving the fold because of a bad breakup or the like.

You've created a monster, but at least it will starve itself to death for us.

And it wasn't even his girlfriend! It was a friend who passed away. And it was generous of Caros to even share his story with the thread/JRod. I am still pissed off about this, because I only read the thread last week.

The most recent output is:

jrodbot posted:

Welfare State in the habit of calling the police themselves prefer to portray themselves as spending most of us have the right to self defense to a minimum. So they will form agreements with manufacturers to include seatbelts and airbags! These features are expected, cheap to implement redistributive policies that allow them to work hard labor for no wages.

With these principles established, I have accepted your inalienable right to not understand that correlation is not going to have the final say on the products they buy. You don't want to be respected, which includes not being privately owned.

Back to Bayes...

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

eNeMeE posted:

"On the other hand, all of recorded history" is such a great all purpose response to libertarian ideas.

Your bog standard lolbert will typically just blame the government or say no society has been brave or enlightened enough to try total no laws freedom. So hey let's ignore literally all of history and just abolish the government! Yay!

You owe me seven pounds of gold for reading my post.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Your bog standard lolbert will typically just blame the government or say no society has been brave or enlightened enough to try total no laws freedom. So hey let's ignore literally all of history and just abolish the government! Yay!

You owe me seven pounds of gold for reading my post.

Hah, never consented to joinder, jokes on you, statist.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

eNeMeE posted:

What was the old response to the pre-JRod libertarian shitposter? "Oh no, someone who knows something about anything, my one weakness!"?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Qalnor

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2646576&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

peenworm posted:

oh crap it's someone who knows anything at all

qalnor's one weakness

regarding his helldump

gerogarygaygaygay posted:

this is the most completely inevitable thread ever posted

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

VioletCorsica posted:

And it wasn't even his girlfriend! It was a friend who passed away. And it was generous of Caros to even share his story with the thread/JRod. I am still pissed off about this, because I only read the thread last week.

The most recent output is:

Back to Bayes...
You inspired me. Slightly offtopic, but here's Trumpbot, which I'm pretty sure is sentient now

quote:

We're people who work hard but no longer beat up on people that cannot defend themselves.

quote:

I have visited the laid-off factory workers, and the whole world knew it meant nothing.

quote:

I would like to thank the evangelical community who have lost their children to violence spilling across our border.

quote:

I have been honored to receive the respect they deserve.

quote:

The damage and devastation that can be used to rebuild America.

and its first words

quote:

We cannot afford to be considerate and compassionate to everyone.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

You inspired me. Slightly offtopic, but here's Trumpbot, which I'm pretty sure is sentient now

and its first words

Who made this future T-1000

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Make them talk to each other.

Please.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

and its first words

Yay!!! Mazel tov!

Let's get them into some API so they can talk to one another.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

paragon1 posted:

Make them talk to each other.

Please.

Make it a thread and it would be DnD's first goldmine

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

VioletCorsica posted:

Yay!!! Mazel tov!

Let's get them into some API so they can talk to one another.

You can DO that???

quote:

Together, we will end it.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
You can. people do it with chatbots all the time.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

You can DO that???

Yes! Did you see the tutorial links up thread? ¡Si se puede!

If we want to do it in Something Awful though perhaps we need to post what they say rather than have them auto chat? I should sleep but I am all about DnDbot tomorrow at some point.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

VioletCorsica posted:

If we want to do it in Something Awful though perhaps we need to post what they say rather than have them auto chat? I should sleep but I am all about DnDbot tomorrow at some point.

Could you post the auto chat transcript? Or would people not like that?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

VioletCorsica posted:

Oh I just used Markov chains with his RNC speech as a corpus

I'm on a crappy laptop and Tensorflow makes it choke (and so I'd imagine most machine learning systems do the same thing), but I could probably do something fancier tomorrow evening

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Oh I just used Markov chains with his RNC speech as a corpus

I'm on a crappy laptop and Tensorflow makes it choke (and so I'd imagine most machine learning systems do the same thing), but I could probably do something fancier tomorrow evening

Okay I'm awake and watching tutorials on Bayes for work. I can't figure out an API thing and this Bayesian implementation both for the first time at the same time. But I'm fine with having them respond to one another in a thread in DnD on SA.

Open questions:
Shall we try to get them both to talk about the same topic?
Shall we speak to a mod before making the thread? Is there a mod in this thread? If I say "mod," does one appear? UPDATE: I've reached out to mods via PM. Will let you know what they say.
How large is Trumpbot's corpus? (I can add to/cut down Jrodbot to the same appx word count)

Proposed "rules":
Allowed: Cherry picking funny stuff.
No addition of punctuation/fixing grammar, with the exception of removing one word sentences.

For me: no generated Mises urls. (I'm assuming Trumpbot isn't going to give everyone XML cancer)
No mentions of goons. The Caros reference yesterday was a mistake.

Edit: Reached out to mods.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 2, 2016

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

You could try PMing D&D mods, Absurd Alhazred and ExMarx (currently gently caress HARAMBE) seem to be the active ones.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jack of Hearts posted:

How long specifically? I remember reading in Benvenuto Cellini's memoirs that he was head of the papal mint, and he seemed to treat it like a choice gig, but he was also the premier artist working in precious metals of his day.

We first see recognizable coins around the 7th or 8th century BC, we see the first surviving coins that were clearly mass produced in a high quality manner (that is, the stamps or carvings are regular and properly centered, and the shape is consistent whether circles or squares or other such shapes) by the 5th or 6th century AD. Of course, we still see a lot of low quality minting from various issuers up until the 1600s or so.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Currency defined as a medium of exchange, however, is far older than coins. It could be pretty much any actual, useful good ( ancient Mesopotamia and Egypt used grain by weight, iirc and Rome used salt ), but metal started to show up pretty drat early, as evidenced by the strong implication that Cornish and German tin apparently made its way down to the middle-east to kickstart the bronze-age. I'm not sure what the modern-day equivalent of that trade-route would be, in all honesty, because the slow mode of transport and the different middle-men the goods would have to go through to even get from Cornwall and Germany to Mesopotamia isn't something we can really get our heads around with our modern infrastructure.

The point being, this is not something you do through barter. There has to be some medium of exchange to facilitate that kind of trading, even if it differs from area to area.

TLM3101 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 2, 2016

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

VioletCorsica posted:

Okay I'm awake and watching tutorials on Bayes for work. I can't figure out an API thing and this Bayesian implementation both for the first time at the same time. But I'm fine with having them respond to one another in a thread in DnD on SA.

Open questions:
Shall we try to get them both to talk about the same topic?
Shall we speak to a mod before making the thread? Is there a mod in this thread? If I say "mod," does one appear? UPDATE: I've reached out to mods via PM. Will let you know what they say.
How large is Trumpbot's corpus? (I can add to/cut down Jrodbot to the same appx word count)

Proposed "rules":
Allowed: Cherry picking funny stuff.
No addition of punctuation/fixing grammar, with the exception of removing one word sentences.

For me: no generated Mises urls. (I'm assuming Trumpbot isn't going to give everyone XML cancer)
No mentions of goons. The Caros reference yesterday was a mistake.

Edit: Reached out to mods.
I'm pretty swamped this week and am heading out of town over the weekend, so I'll do what I can but we'll probably have to keep this for next week.

I just used Trump's RNC speech but I can expand the corpus easily if I can find transcripts of his speeches. I might add in some other features but really I might just load it onto a server and let people have at it, I don't know yet (I already have a Trump-relevant domain name).

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

I'm pretty swamped this week and am heading out of town over the weekend, so I'll do what I can but we'll probably have to keep this for next week.

I just used Trump's RNC speech but I can expand the corpus easily if I can find transcripts of his speeches. I might add in some other features but really I might just load it onto a server and let people have at it, I don't know yet (I already have a Trump-relevant domain name).

Can you get transcripts from the debates? That might be something worth adding.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I actually have a Trump corpus from before. My example problem for Bayes is programming Bayesian indicator for likelihood of a sample being from Jrod vs Trump. I can put it in a public Dropbox file or something.

NBD on timing. Mods are conferring amongst themselves and going to get back to us.

Edit: We have the go ahead from mods.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Aug 3, 2016

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
How in the hell is Gary Johnson getting the most third party votes? Isn't his platform literally memes?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

How in the hell is Gary Johnson getting the most third party votes? Isn't his platform literally memes?

Crazy Internet people flock to libertarians.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Gary Johnson has actually governed people before

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Vulture Culture posted:

yikes

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Vulture Culture posted:

Well... for a certain definition of governed, anyway.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Who What Now posted:

Well... for a certain definition of governed, anyway.

His selling point, as he likes to point out, is that he vetoed a massive number of the bills put before him (he set national records). It always makes me think of Ron Swanson proudly claiming that his managerial style is to make sure that "nothing ever gets done".

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Hey I wonder what our old friend George Reisman, Objectivist author of Capitalism is up to. You may remember him from earlier in this thread (or the other?), the Randian who used the power of his rational mind to debunk the Big Bang Theory in 5 tweets (suck it, science!).

Complaining about Trump, praising free trade, plugging his interview, defending a woman's right to choose, nothing too odd, oh here we go:
https://twitter.com/GGReisman/status/701668090497503233
https://twitter.com/GGReisman/status/701667951787712512
https://twitter.com/GGReisman/status/701667823458734080

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Hey I wonder what our old friend George Reisman, Objectivist author of Capitalism is up to. You may remember him from earlier in this thread (or the other?), the Randian who used the power of his rational mind to debunk the Big Bang Theory in 5 tweets (suck it, science!).

Complaining about Trump, praising free trade, plugging his interview, defending a woman's right to choose, nothing too odd, oh here we go:

Is that person trolling? Like Ron Swanson?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

The Libertarian Party has a few advantages over other third parties. First, they actually have a good elevator pitch; who doesn't like Freedom (before they find out what you mean by it)? The Ron Paul Five Minute Rule extends beyond the family. Also, the obsession with state and local rule means that they have an actual existing party infrastructure, as opposed to using the "vehicle for a vanity presidential run" model like the Reform Party did.

VitalSigns posted:

I'm half tempted to give him credit for not going Full DiLorenzo about it, but on second thought, no. No credit.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
To be fair "Black Freedom Day" sounds dope as poo poo.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Who What Now posted:

To be fair "Black Freedom Day" sounds dope as poo poo.

Well, you know what we have to do now...

Also is the Ron Paul 5 minute rule about food safety?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

WrenP-Complete posted:

Well, you know what we have to do now...

Also is the Ron Paul 5 minute rule about food safety?

Unfortunately, no, though I'm sure Ron Paul has bad opinions about food safety regulation.

Charles Pierce posted:

the Five Minute Rule states that any member of the Paul family will make sense on any political issue for exactly five minutes. Precisely at the 5:00:01 mark, however, he will say something so far off the rails that you will find yourself looking at him as though he has sprouted a reptilian head out of his sternum. This may include Crazy Uncle Liberty (!)'s discussion of economic problems that suddenly veers into goldbuggery, or [Rand Paul's] concern over government overreach that gets him crossways with the Civil Rights Act of 1964.