Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
CV WASP - Sunk by planes from the Soryu (not Soryu).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
yatta

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

:thumbsup:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Jeans? This really was a "throw whatever planes you've got" mission wasn't it.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

It's not technically on my birthday, but close enough. A sunk carrier is a hell of a present!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

goatface posted:

Jeans? This really was a "throw whatever planes you've got" mission wasn't it.

I call that a Japan Special.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
IRL, USS Wasp was sunk on 1942 September 15. Grey is 1 month, 13 days ahead of schedule on the kill.

Congrats!

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
It was almost exactly a Battle of the Coral Sea that turned out decisively in favor of Japan, hence the scratch one flattop reference.

Now we'll see if having one more CV makes a difference in his midway!

E: wrong about where the wasp was lost!

Bozart fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 3, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Wasn't Wasp a smaller, weaker fleet carrier built to keep to treaty limits or something?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Basically a fleet carrier with many failings of a CVE built in. Far too lightly armoured to be a warship.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Night10194 posted:

Wasn't Wasp a smaller, weaker fleet carrier built to keep to treaty limits or something?

Yes. Under the naval limitation treaty in place at the time, the United States Navy had 15,000 tons of unused carrier displacement after the construction of the three 19,800 tone Yorktown-class ships. The 14,700 tone Wasp was built with lower armor and speed (which allowed for lighter machinery) in order to carry the same number of aircraft as a Yorktown with 25% less displacement. Wasp was initially assigned duties of secondary danger - first to the Caribbean to keep watch on the remaining Vichy France ships, followed by a lengthy refit, followed by repairs from ramming a destroyer, followed by assignment to the potentially war-winning task of ferrying new aircraft to reinforce Malta's devastated air groups. After her second such mission (the first having failed when accurate intelligence allowed the Luftwaffe to annihilate the delivered Spitfires as soon as they landed), Coral Sea and Midway had drawn USN fleet strength in the Pacific to the critically low level of three fleet carriers, forcing Wasp to be reassigned. The Wasp's aircraft aided in the initial invasion of Guadalcanal and Tulagi, and missed most of the Battle Of The Eastern Solomons before being hit by three torpedoes (out of a spread of six - one missed everything, another hit and eventually sunk the destroyer O'Brien, and the last seriously damaged the battleship North Carolina - impressive shooting) from the submarine I-19. The complete lack of torpedo protection guaranteed that any one of those torpedoes would have been fatal.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Grey Hunter posted:

Jills won't be around until '43 - although I'm trying to speed that up!

There's a reason I added faster, after all. :v:

Anyways, great carrier kill - only many, many more to go.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

So if the fighters have rebased, where have they got to? What're those other Allied fleets lurking to the south?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

lenoon posted:

So if the fighters have rebased, where have they got to? What're those other Allied fleets lurking to the south?

They are probably in range of the field at Luganville for at least a one way trip, although I don't know how the game models stuff already in the air having to rebase. If that is where they went then Grey is out of their range with his carriers unless he chases way south.

Unless there have been a ton of losses most carriers are usually pretty full up on planes and can't take in much more than a few extras.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Clunk!

I use the air support to re invade these bases.

The cat is amongst the pigeons – where as these ships expected air cover, they are now ripe for the picking.

We can't get away scot free of course.

I got distracted distracting the baby and missed this hit.

We hit another ship.

Things keep getting better.

We open up on the last defenders of Java.

Those poor Allied soldiers.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
RIP Private Speech

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
No ships claimed?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
So that's it for Java, when will you invade Darwin :colbert:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Gnoman posted:

The Wasp's aircraft aided in the initial invasion of Guadalcanal and Tulagi, and missed most of the Battle Of The Eastern Solomons before being hit by three torpedoes (out of a spread of six - one missed everything, another hit and eventually sunk the destroyer O'Brien, and the last seriously damaged the battleship North Carolina - impressive shooting) from the submarine I-19.

Oh hey, speak of the devil!

Grey Hunter posted:

Things keep getting better.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

US Carriers in the Pacifc, historically of this date

1. USS Langley(technically not a carrier anymore, Seaplane tender)
2. USS Saratoga
3. USS Enterprise
4. USS Yorktown
5. USS Hornet
6. USS Wasp
7. USS Lexington (apparently I forgot about this one)

So, for now, Grey still has overwhelming carrier superiority, despite his best efforts to the contrary, since the entire British carrier fleet will be in drydock before it gets recalled in '43. However, the US warmachine really starts picking up in '43, and CVEs will start rolling in like army surplus cigarettes.

A Festivus Miracle fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 3, 2016

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it
Hey, things are happening again! Nice job taking out the carrier.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Gnoman posted:

Yes. Under the naval limitation treaty in place at the time, the United States Navy had 15,000 tons of unused carrier displacement after the construction of the three 19,800 tone Yorktown-class ships. The 14,700 tone Wasp was built with lower armor and speed (which allowed for lighter machinery) in order to carry the same number of aircraft as a Yorktown with 25% less displacement. Wasp was initially assigned duties of secondary danger - first to the Caribbean to keep watch on the remaining Vichy France ships, followed by a lengthy refit, followed by repairs from ramming a destroyer, followed by assignment to the potentially war-winning task of ferrying new aircraft to reinforce Malta's devastated air groups. After her second such mission (the first having failed when accurate intelligence allowed the Luftwaffe to annihilate the delivered Spitfires as soon as they landed), Coral Sea and Midway had drawn USN fleet strength in the Pacific to the critically low level of three fleet carriers, forcing Wasp to be reassigned. The Wasp's aircraft aided in the initial invasion of Guadalcanal and Tulagi, and missed most of the Battle Of The Eastern Solomons before being hit by three torpedoes (out of a spread of six - one missed everything, another hit and eventually sunk the destroyer O'Brien, and the last seriously damaged the battleship North Carolina - impressive shooting) from the submarine I-19. The complete lack of torpedo protection guaranteed that any one of those torpedoes would have been fatal.

Two Yorktowns. Hornet succeeded Wasp and was intended to be built to the new design that would become Essex (exigencies of time and so forth). I like the implication here that I-19's torpedoes struck Wasp's aircraft rather than the carrier itself :v:

A White Guy posted:

US Carriers in the Pacifc, historically of this date

1. USS Langley(technically not a carrier anymore, Seaplane tender)
2. USS Saratoga
3. USS Enterprise
4. USS Yorktown
5. USS Hornet
6. USS Wasp

So, for now, Grey still has overwhelming carrier superiority, despite his best efforts to the contrary, since the entire British carrier fleet will be in drydock before it gets recalled in '43. However, the US warmachine really starts picking up in '43, and CVEs will start rolling in like army surplus cigarettes.

Why are you including Yorktown but not Lexington? Both had sunk by this time in 1942, so I would think they'd either both be in or both be out. Also, what kind of order is this? It's not hull number or commission date or loss date or alphabetical or anything else I can see.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
One thing I love about this thread is when I see a flurry of activity I know something cool or devastating happened in the lp, or goons are arguing/geeking out/ranting about some historical ww2 point which is great as well.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

Why are you including Yorktown but not Lexington? Both had sunk by this time in 1942, so I would think they'd either both be in or both be out. Also, what kind of order is this? It's not hull number or commission date or loss date or alphabetical or anything else I can see.

There's no order. Langley,Saratoga are old as gently caress, USS Lexington (the second one) doesn't get launched until September. I don't know if it launches if the original Lexington hasn't died yet. A number of other carriers (like the USS Essex) have just launched off the docks, but they won't be in the Pacific theater until 1943.

A Festivus Miracle fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 3, 2016

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Maybe USS Lexington and USS Yorktown(CV-10 & CV-16, the Essexes) keep their original names of USS Cabot and USS Bon Homme Richard if the original ones are still floating? I can't imagine the game would actually reduce the number of CVs the US gets even if they're still floating - though whether it just ends up with original names or if there ends up being 2 of each sailing around is something I don't know.

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
Well done Grey, is the Mid Way offensive still on?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

midway, he's got the whole west coast open. Go for LA.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Lord Koth posted:

Maybe USS Lexington and USS Yorktown(CV-10 & CV-16, the Essexes) keep their original names of USS Cabot and USS Bon Homme Richard if the original ones are still floating? I can't imagine the game would actually reduce the number of CVs the US gets even if they're still floating - though whether it just ends up with original names or if there ends up being 2 of each sailing around is something I don't know.

They're named "Lexington II" and "Yorktown II", but their names can be changed by the player.

whitewhale
Feb 21, 2013

HisMajestyBOB posted:

They're named "Lexington II" and "Yorktown II", but their names can be changed by the player.

Hang on a minute... You are telling us that the ships can be renamed?

That changes *everything*.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

whitewhale posted:

Hang on a minute... You are telling us that the ships can be renamed?

That changes *everything*.

My lucky ship is the Yorktown, request permission to rename "dorktown" tia

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Just your own ships, or all ships in the game?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

Yeah, I may need to put it back a week or so for repairs on that bomb hit - but that just lets me get more planes in place to flood the island with! I found several squadrons in the Philippines I forgot about (its easy enough to do) so I'm going to ship them back to Japan and then out into Midway - with an air HQ so they can use torps!

I'm hoping for the end of the month as a realistic target.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Bit embarrassed to admit it, but I'm halfways rooting for the allies (even though I'm the Hiei).

Still nice to see a carrier kill though. Great job, Grey!

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Aug 4, 2016

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I'd rather have Grey replay as Allies, but now I'm rooting for the Empire :japan:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I just assume people hang around waiting for me to make my next big screw up.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I'm wholeheartedly rooting for the Allies :v:

The Wasp will be avenged!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Jesenjin posted:

Just your own ships, or all ships in the game?

Only late arriving allied ships and ships that had the same names as ones that were historically sunk can be renamed.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Grey Hunter posted:

I just assume people hang around waiting for me to make my next big screw up.

Well, those ARE the most entertaining part.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

The successes balance out the screw ups Grey, no worries. Hoping for a big carrier bash now you've got the taste for flattop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Leperflesh posted:

Oh hey, speak of the devil!

North Carolina, Northampton, same differnce