Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

I blame the 64DD. It was supposed to be flipped out in a year and then that dumb thing crashed and burned. Majora's Mask was a similar casualty where you have this incredibly repetitive game built on re-used assets that demands you to play its same four levels over and over again. I really want to like Majora, and maybe when I play the 3DS version in 10 years it'll be the light switch flipping off, but god drat does that game feel cheap.

I finally played through Majora's last year and wound up thinking, "Nice idea with absolutely terrible implementation." The game actively punishes you for trying to figure things out, exploring, and experimenting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Played Streets of Rage 2 for the entirely last night on the VA7 Model Genesis I bought. I am honestly not hearing the suppose horrible sound, and SoR2 has some of the best music on the Genesis. Granted I am playing on a mono tv, so I imagine if it does have issues with sound it would be the stereo side.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The VA7 Model 1/VA0 Model 2 isn't the worst thing ever, but it is noticeably less sharp and clear than a later revision model 2 or earlier model 1 Genesis. If it doesn't bother you though, I wouldn't go out of my way to hunt down a different revision or install a MegaAmp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiu8wDLV_9g

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

I finally played through Majora's last year and wound up thinking, "Nice idea with absolutely terrible implementation." The game actively punishes you for trying to figure things out, exploring, and experimenting.

Every time you restart the clock I had to make a conscious effort not to get too close to that deku leaf or else WAIT! WAIT! HANG ON! ***UNSKIPPABLE CUTSCENE OF BUSINESS SCRUB***

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I've always wished someone from Rare would dish on where that one went off the rails.

I think I remember reading years ago that DK64 was done by a B-team at Rare while the more talented devs were doing other poo poo.

Personally, I always disliked pretty much every collectathon that wasn't Mario 64 and just wish Rare had spent the N64's life making more Blast Corps games..

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rirse posted:

Played Streets of Rage 2 for the entirely last night on the VA7 Model Genesis I bought. I am honestly not hearing the suppose horrible sound, and SoR2 has some of the best music on the Genesis. Granted I am playing on a mono tv, so I imagine if it does have issues with sound it would be the stereo side.

SoR2 audio is so good it overcomes the limitations of anything it's played on

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Cubey posted:

I think I remember reading years ago that DK64 was done by a B-team at Rare while the more talented devs were doing other poo poo.

Personally, I always disliked pretty much every collectathon that wasn't Mario 64 and just wish Rare had spent the N64's life making more Blast Corps games..

excuse me but what about the magnificent n64 masterpiece chameleon twist

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Elliotw2 posted:

Probably around the planning phase when they went "Hey we should make Banjo-Tooie but even bigger."

Banjo Tooie was years later though????

al-azad posted:

I blame the 64DD. It was supposed to be flipped out in a year and then that dumb thing crashed and burned. Majora's Mask was a similar casualty where you have this incredibly repetitive game built on re-used assets that demands you to play its same four levels over and over again. I really want to like Majora, and maybe when I play the 3DS version in 10 years it'll be the light switch flipping on, but god drat does that game feel cheap.

Majoras Mask owns though and learning the routines and patterns is half the fun of the game

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Crimson Harvest posted:

I ordered the parts to set up a RetroPie, anyone have any gotchas I need to look out for?

It's super simple nowadays. Just never ever unplug your Pi without shutting it down first, otherwise you'll corrupt your microSD card. In fact, once you get everything set up the way you want it with all of your roms and emulators configured perfectly for your tastes, immediately make a backup of the microSD card image to your PC or laptop. That way in case it ever does go corrupt, you can restore it within a matter of minutes.

Edit: don't bother trying to get N64, Saturn, or Dreamcast working until you've got some more experience with the Pi under your belt. All three require overclocking and even then they generally don't work well. In the N64's case I'm not sure if the problem is the hardware so much as it is that N64 emulation itself generally kinda sucks, but maybe it'll be better whenever we get a Raspberry Pi Model 4.

It's an absolute dream for running PSX and earlier though. Also MAME stuff.

Drone fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 4, 2016

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

al-azad posted:

I blame the 64DD. It was supposed to be flipped out in a year and then that dumb thing crashed and burned. Majora's Mask was a similar casualty where you have this incredibly repetitive game built on re-used assets that demands you to play its same four levels over and over again. I really want to like Majora, and maybe when I play the 3DS version in 10 years it'll be the light switch flipping on, but god drat does that game feel cheap.

Yeah it is not good, the egg collecting quest is maybe the worst thing of all time

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Drone posted:

Edit: don't bother trying to get N64, Saturn, or Dreamcast working until you've got some more experience with the Pi under your belt. All three require overclocking and even then they generally don't work well. In the N64's case I'm not sure if the problem is the hardware so much as it is that N64 emulation itself generally kinda sucks, but maybe it'll be better whenever we get a Raspberry Pi Model 4.

It's because all models of the Pi use the same slow GPU from ~2006 or so smartphones with a hardware decoding block for common video formats bolted on. As a result, it has to put a ton of rendering 3D work on the CPU which even on the Pi 3 isn't all that powerful. That N64 emulation is still a mess doesn't help, but really good N64 emulators would still have issues running well on the hardware available there.

Hopefully the Pi 4 will finally move on from the ancient-rear end GPU they've been using, and that'll make PSX/Saturn/N64/Dreamcast stuff run a lot better.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

SoR2 audio is so good it overcomes the limitations of anything it's played on
Well, except for that Dreamcast Sega Smash Pack that seems to interpret the YM2612 as just another square wave PSG.

...actually, maybe even then. Hmm.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Instant Sunrise posted:

excuse me but what about the magnificent n64 masterpiece chameleon twist

And Glover! Gotta love the glove!

https://youtu.be/hAVG7sljJSc

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Except for the triangle replacing the hi-hat, I like this.

Cliche Guevara
Dec 12, 2005
whistlebritches
So what's the deal w that Gamerztek Pi 3 or whatever? $150 but it emulates everything you throw at it until circa 1999. Pretty big deal imo...

http://www.gamerztek.com/product-p/emu64.htm

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Yep that's a RPi with an enclosure and like 30 controllers.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Cliche Guevara posted:

So what's the deal w that Gamerztek Pi 3 or whatever? $150 but it emulates everything you throw at it until circa 1999. Pretty big deal imo...

http://www.gamerztek.com/product-p/emu64.htm

Idk how much pi 3s are, but you could calculate exactly how much they're charging you for a case and a cheap SNES controller knock off.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

RZA Encryption posted:

Idk how much pi 3s are, but you could calculate exactly how much they're charging you for a case and a cheap SNES controller knock off.

I got mine for $54 Canadian shipped.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

RZA Encryption posted:

can get a pi3 plus enclosure and power supply for like fifty bucks amaerican on amazon

Cliche Guevara
Dec 12, 2005
whistlebritches
Pain in the rear end to assemble and setup though? Will have to look into it. Would love to play some of these old gems in the N64 and PS1 libraries!

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I would not buy a Rpi to play PS1 or N64 games.

Honestly, the only thing I'd trust to play N64 games is an Everdrive 64.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cliche Guevara posted:

Pain in the rear end to assemble and setup though? Will have to look into it. Would love to play some of these old gems in the N64 and PS1 libraries!

I don't get the impression that the SD card they send will have an image on it, but setting up RetroPie is dead easy.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cliche Guevara posted:

It's literally called a starter kit and looks super easy to fit together

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

WaitsUp posted:

Getting a PVM-2530 that's been sitting around at work. It works, has good colour and no ghosting. Anything else I should know?

You need this to put RGB SCART on it: https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/sony-pvm-scart-converter?search=pvm

It has no speakers, but it has speaker cable output. The official speaker model that attaches to the sides and folds in is APM-X5A, but all you can really do is keep an ebay watch and be patient if you want those (I like mine a lot FYI)

Easier/cheaper method maybe: each RCA audio input also has RCA output.

Adjust geometry and stuff with the 240p Test Suite ROM. You have to open the case and adjust the pots. Warning that all RGB input is shifted to the right, so if you adjust your pots for that, all of your composite inputs will be shifted too far left.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
If anyone is looking for a Trinitron in the Boston area, someone in my building dragged a Sony Wega KV-27FS120 out to our lobby. It's a 27 inch SD-only set from 2004, 2 sets of composite input, 1 component input, 1 S-video input. Also it weighs about 100 pounds.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I bought a CDX.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Elliotw2 posted:

I bought a CDX.

welcome to the club, it's very nice having the genesis setup being the smallest system you have for once

e: god drat they go for a lot now, I hope you got a deal

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I didn't pay the full $350 ebay price no, I knew the owner of the store that was selling it so I got a bit of a discount on their $250.

It's still very much :retrogames:

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

I kinda want to get into Sega stuff, since there's probably a lot of good games that I missed out on, but I don't really know where to start since I never had a Sega console as a kid. (Though my best friend in middle school had a Genesis/Sega CD combo that was made by JVC that's apparently pretty rare now).

Maybe I'll try one of the 16 bit sonic games that are on steam or the eshop.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

You can get a good Model 1 or 2 Genesis and a big box of games for like $60 or less still, so there's not really a wrong answer for getting into it. The Genesis is too mainstream to really get jacked up by actual collectors and not Nintendo enough to really get wrapped up in the bubble, so it's easy and fun to collect carts as well.

The Sega CD is loving expensive right now though.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So I have a doujindance Duo-R from around 2012-ish that has both RGB and S-Video on it. The mod job while it worked has always been on the dark side and a proper amplification circuit for PC-Engine didn't really exist until recently when viletim put the effort into building one.

I ended up buying an amp from this dude as it's the "proper" circuit http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/fs-pce-turbografx-rgb-amps-cables-and-rgb-modded-consoles.56269/ and thought "hey how bad could it be?"

:stare: OH GOD

So I spent a long time tracing everything to figure out how the modified JROC board was wired up. Figured out the pins and then just integrated the new amp along with the S-Video converter so I could retain S-Video output even if it doesn't look the best. For those wondering what's going on RGB & composite video is tapped from the Hu chipset, RGB is fed into this JROC clone which takes RGB, amplifies it and converts to S-Video. The bubble-wrapped board in the upper-left is a LM1881 sync stripping circuit which feeds into the DIN8 plug as well as sync on the JROC for S-Video. The board in the upper-right is an array of capacitors and resistors to normalize the video output before being sent to the TV. The board underneath the JROC is the region mod on the card slot which has a switch to change regions.

Fired it up to see how things looked and oh nooooooo Evangelion PC-Engine

After swapping the output wires on the amp and buttoning up the mod job everything looks fine and the system looks amazing now in rgb.

flyboi fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 4, 2016

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
THE BUBBLE WRAP ADDS EXTRA RGB COLOR DEPTH!

Elliotw2 posted:

You can get a good Model 1 or 2 Genesis and a big box of games for like $60 or less still, so there's not really a wrong answer for getting into it. The Genesis is too mainstream to really get jacked up by actual collectors and not Nintendo enough to really get wrapped up in the bubble, so it's easy and fun to collect carts as well.

The Sega CD is loving expensive right now though.

There really is no excuse for anyone in this thread to not have a Sega Genesis, they're so drat cheap and the other half of the 16-bit era :cmon: .

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Kthulhu5000 posted:

the other half of the 16-bit era

*chokes on soda*

Surely you mean the first and most prominent half.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Genesis stuff has always been rather affordable compared to SNES stuff, even if you wanted to go the CIB route. I grabbed a CIB copy of Phantasy Star IV for something like $20 even though it felt like it should've been more since it was an RPG and it had a lovely cardboard box instead of the earlier clamshell cases. In fact, most of the late generation cardboard box releases I own (Vectorman 1 and 2, Virtua Fighter 2, Sonic & Knuckles) were under $10 each. If you don't buy CIB, the carts are easy to store and even easier/cheaper to purchase.

I probably would've been fine with non-CIB but when I started buying heavily into Genesis stuff, I realized the ten or so games I had for it were already CIB so I figured why not. I guess the clamshell case Sonic 3 is harder to find than the cardboard box release?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Mercury Crusader posted:

Genesis stuff has always been rather affordable compared to SNES stuff, even if you wanted to go the CIB route. I grabbed a CIB copy of Phantasy Star IV for something like $20 even though it felt like it should've been more since it was an RPG and it had a lovely cardboard box instead of the earlier clamshell cases. In fact, most of the late generation cardboard box releases I own (Vectorman 1 and 2, Virtua Fighter 2, Sonic & Knuckles) were under $10 each. If you don't buy CIB, the carts are easy to store and even easier/cheaper to purchase.

I probably would've been fine with non-CIB but when I started buying heavily into Genesis stuff, I realized the ten or so games I had for it were already CIB so I figured why not. I guess the clamshell case Sonic 3 is harder to find than the cardboard box release?

You probably shouldn't look at the price of Phantasy Star 4 in 2016

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

azurite posted:

*chokes on soda*

Surely you mean the first and most prominent half.

Crossed wires? Yes, the TG16 was a thing, but let's face it, it was never a contender compared to the neck-and-neck rivalry of the Genesis and SNES. People can be forgiven for not getting on the TG16 wagon, but there's no excuse to not get on the Genesis one.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

flyboi posted:

What the gently caress I paid $15 for it cart only just a year ago.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

I kinda missed out on the entire 16 bit era, going straight from the NES to the N64, so Sega was just never really a thing for me :shrug:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

flyboi posted:

Wow, and I bought my copy like two or three years ago thereabout. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
How difficult is it to RGB mod a SNES mini without prior soldering experience? Also, probably a stupid question, but do framemeisters ever go on sale or am I stuck paying 340~ for one?

• Locked thread