Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I wouldn't be surprised if Brook has at least partially immune to Big Mom's powers. He can already detach his soul from his body himself and fly it around, so maybe he can just leave if she tries to catch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

MonsterEnvy posted:

They don't really need to agree. As we have seen her simply take all of one of her son's life.

She didn't take all of it. She took forty years.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Brook (and probably Luffy) get their souls taken by Big Mom and end up in some kind of soul world. Brook is able to maintain control of himself thanks to his devil fruit power, briefly fights with Luffy's soul (as well as all the souls gathered by Big Mom over the years), and eventually manages to get them to turn against Big Mom, perhaps even merging his soul and Luffy's briefly. They then fight Big Mom from within.

Meanwhile, Luffy's body is attempting to fight Big Mom as a decrepit old man and is getting thrashed, so there's a sense of urgency where Luffy's body might die before the rest of his soul is returned.

Kuroyama posted:

She didn't take all of it. She took forty years.

I have to wonder if this kind of thing is common enough that Big Mom eventually calms down and returns a bunch of the soul back to its owner. Not all of it, mind you, but maybe half?

QuantaStarFire fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 4, 2016

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

tsob posted:

They don't have to, but that's part of the formal procedure her Homies carry out. Which is presumably because if she just took all of everyone's soul then she'd just be killing all the people to animate objects and would still have much the same population, just with no people.

Incidentally, someone should make a pic of Big Mom crying about how she couldn't save even one Homie.

Her son was running away if I recall, so I doubt it's that. It could be something as simple as willpower though. If you have enough it fails, since you refuse to give up a portion of your life for her or something. Kind of like Luffy telling his shadow to come with him if he wants to be Pirate King. It's kind of a lame solution, but if you turn and run from someone out of terror you don't have willpower, however someone who just stands there and doesn't blink like Luffy would does, so it does kind of work.

gently caress I want this so much now.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm still not budging on Jinbei but I'm also pro-Carrot now

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

"Nothing stops the souls from entering animals", so is Chopper going to be possessed?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm almost at the "acceptance" phase of Jimbei crew member but there's still some hope for me that he's dead or something and Carrot or Pedro joins.

Sub Harrison posted:

"Nothing stops the souls from entering animals", so is Chopper going to be possessed?

Chopper talking to animals indicates they have free will and some level of sapience in the One Piece universe, they just can't talk so souls entering their bodies and taking control is kinda hosed up.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I will never be pro-Pedro, sorry

KoB
May 1, 2009
Theres no way that Brook can get through this arc without some sort of Soul King joke.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Sorry, but what was Brook's fruit again?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Mraagvpeine posted:

Sorry, but what was Brook's fruit again?

Yomi yomi aka "revival revival"

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
big mom stole a shitload of Rogers' life and that was the "incurable disease" he developed and how he knew his life was ending.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Crazyeyes posted:

big mom stole a shitload of Rogers' life and that was the "incurable disease" he developed and how he knew his life was ending.

seems unlikely although chopper curing devil fruit powers would be pretty cool

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I wonder if this power can be used to extend the lifespans of other people, not just Big Mom's. The shortening of Luffy's lifespan has been a big plot beat and it would be interesting if he could regain some of what he lost while recovering in Impel Down.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
When was the last time a Devil Fruit user lost to water?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
^^^ Jack.

Radish posted:

Allowing people to agree or leave is probably just a nice gesture. I'm sure that she could take 100% without consent if she wanted to (didn't she do that to her one son?). I'm guessing that there is some sort of limitation like the person has to not be moving or something in order to make sure that she isn't unbeatable in a fight.

Or leaving comes with a big penalty, like maybe 10 years of life or something.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

RatHat posted:

^^^ Jack.

Or leaving comes with a big penalty, like maybe 10 years of life or something.

Oh poo poo. Forgot about him completely because he felt unimportant.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Crazyeyes posted:

Unlikely, since they specifically mention that you can resist if you don't show fear. I can't imagine it working on someone like Roger.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
There's a lot going on here and a lot to talk about now, but I'll save it for now and just give a summary:

This chapter owns.

This arc owns.

One Piece owns.

Owns owns owns.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Does this mean Chopper didn't have a soul before he ate the Devil fruit because that seems kind of hosed up and maybe contradictory to how other animals act in this series

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Does this mean Chopper didn't have a soul before he ate the Devil fruit because that seems kind of hosed up and maybe contradictory to how other animals act in this series

I guess all dogs tanooki reindeer don't go to heaven.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Sinners Sandwich posted:

could be no two types of one soul can overlap in one body, so like, choppers soul cant go in another reindeer.

if souls are tied to devil fruits (like they are with brook), could be possible blackbeard has two souls.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I have to laugh at the fact that even Brook can get a brain freeze. :allears:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

AradoBalanga posted:

I have to laugh at the fact that even Brook can get a brain freeze. :allears:

It's pretty brainless of him to eat that much ice cream that quickly. :yohoho:

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

My head canon is that Nami didn't get a brain freeze because her knowledge of weather and temperature allows her to know how the human body reacts to sudden temperature change also Sanji is a fuckup

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

we haven't actually seen big mom take someone's unique "soul" though have we. just measurements of life force

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Unique Soul????

Fuckshoes
Jul 11, 2001

sup ladies
So can we just take a moment to discuss Franky's awesome shirt?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Drink Top
Jul 21, 2012

Fuckshoes posted:

So can we just take a moment to discuss Franky's awesome shirt?

Yes we can. It's a good shirt.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Radish posted:

Allowing people to agree or leave is probably just a nice gesture. I'm sure that she could take 100% without consent if she wanted to (didn't she do that to her one son?). I'm guessing that there is some sort of limitation like the person has to not be moving or something in order to make sure that she isn't unbeatable in a fight.
A counter would be to deck her in the face before she can grab your life energy.

OP has had loads of uncounterable (except for haki and seastone) abilities that are stupid broken in theory but in practice depend on human beings actually using them correctly and intelligently and quickly in response to the situation. See: Foxy, Law, Magellan, Bonney, etc. Big Mam's ability isn't all that scary because she needs to actually physically approach you, it takes a small amount of time for the ability to 'channel' or whatever, and she is also physically vulnerable for that whole time. She also seems to gain no defense. As opposed to, say, being able to dismember/timestop/agesteal you from range instantly at will, or just megadeathpoison anything within 2km radius and also coat yourself with it to avoid attacks.

Depending on how well she can take an attack she may be close to unbeatable 1v1, but if you're a qroup of skilled people including some ranged fighters, I don't see what she can do besides take one of you out at a time while taking a massive beating. I would be extremely surprised if Big Mam could handle herself in combat against, say, Blackbeard and his crew.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Aug 5, 2016

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Bisse posted:

A counter would be to deck her in the face before she can grab your life energy.

OP has had loads of uncounterable (except for haki and seastone) abilities that are stupid broken in theory but in practice depend on human beings actually using them correctly and intelligently and quickly in response to the situation. See: Foxy, Law, Magellan, Bonney, etc. Big Mam's ability isn't all that scary because she needs to actually physically approach you, it takes a small amount of time for the ability to 'channel' or whatever, and she is also physically vulnerable for that whole time. She also seems to gain no defense. As opposed to, say, being able to dismember/timestop/agesteal you from range instantly at will, or just megadeathpoison anything within 2km radius and also coat yourself with it to avoid attacks.

Depending on how well she can take an attack she may be close to unbeatable 1v1, but if you're a qroup of skilled people including some ranged fighters, I don't see what she can do besides take one of you out at a time while taking a massive beating. I would be extremely surprised if Big Mam could handle herself in combat against, say, Blackbeard and his crew.

I think Big Mom's whole shtick is that she doesn't have to fight to win. She has possibly the largest crew in the world. Why should she personally need to get involved? She has such a wealth of information and strong fighters at her disposal she is unlikely to end up in a situation necessitating she actually do anything besides scheme and maneuver her troops.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Crazyeyes posted:

I think Big Mom's whole shtick is that she doesn't have to fight to win. She has possibly the largest crew in the world. Why should she personally need to get involved? She has such a wealth of information and strong fighters at her disposal she is unlikely to end up in a situation necessitating she actually do anything besides scheme and maneuver her troops.
That is completely true.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
But she is also very strong, as shown a few chapters ago.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Moms are tough.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You'd have to be, to give birth to over a hundred kids

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

...who the gently caress is Lola? I honestly don't remember. That's the price you pay for including between 12 and 35 additional named characters per arc.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Rangpur posted:

...who the gently caress is Lola? I honestly don't remember. That's the price you pay for including between 12 and 35 additional named characters per arc.

The captain from Thriller Bark, who said her mom is a big shot in the New World.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

cool thanks, back to being hype now

Yeah! Lola! Whoooooo! (Actually I've been digging this arc despite being cool on it early on--it looked like the talking everything was a repeat of Dressrosa's talking toys.)

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 5, 2016

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Rangpur posted:

when koala showed up again half the thread went aw yeah koala cool dang neat and the other half didn't have any idea who she was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Rangpur posted:

The pirate captain that Nami befriended on Thriller Bark. Her shadow was put into a warthog and ruined Absalom's plan to marry Nami, then Nami met the real Lola on a ship lost in the Florian Triangle. Lola also helped Luffy become Nightmare Luffy to fight Oars. At the end off the arc Lola gave Nami a vivre card and mentioned that her mom was a big deal.

Interestingly, at first everyone assumed that Lola's mom was Weevil's mom, as they looked very similar. I wonder now if that mom isn't Big Mom's mom (Bigger Mom) or sister (Big Aunt).