Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Also that GW2 is doing well. It might start doing better, but the expansion did not go over well. It probably drove Colin out, although that's probably a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Pavlov posted:

Moonlight Blade was surprisingly playable at 300ms. Much more than that though, and no amount of clever netcode is going to make an action game playable. It's just a physical reality of networking when you have a game with fast paced PvP.

True, but i dont expect somethign like in Street Fighter 5 with cancel and Invulnerability frames. Just having the ability to "queue" some move to compensate for below average ping could have helped a lot. FPS developped the "hot state rewind" to compensate for lag, so maybe fighting game could thinker to find the equivalent.

But they are probably going to say "lol, everyone in Glorious China is same Time zone and same network, no problem here !"

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice

Mile'ionaha posted:

I would jump for joy when the scripts DIDN'T show up at the volcano, because then the fastest route out was off a hiiiigh cliff.

I'd wait under the eaves and poison-fist people so they plummeted to the ground. Early in the game this was an insta-kill, later it did enough that even I could finish them off and then fly back up the cliff to the librarian.

Yeah, that was fun as well. Though, poison fist was also hilariously fun during script stealing in Wudang when people chased me off the big cliff. Just sent them plummeting while I ran off across the lake laughing in chat at them.

Edit: You know, speaking of Wudang, I never did get Flying Horse.

Little Abigail fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Aug 2, 2016

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Little Abigail posted:

Yeah, that was fun as well. Though, poison fist was also hilariously fun during script stealing in Wudang when people chased me off the big cliff. Just sent them plummeting while I ran off across the lake laughing in chat at them.

Edit: You know, speaking of Wudang, I never did get Flying Horse.

Pegasus was always a nice skill, but with later inners and other healing skills (Shen needle, Beast villa, 7star sword) it was thankfully less of a "must have" than during 1st-3rd inner era.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Third World Reggin posted:

lol at anyone thinking ESO is doing incredibly well

And chronicles of elyria? loving lol

Disregard Chronicles as a game, the business model achieves three things.

1.)buy2play day one sales
2.)day one sale price for every "spark of life" for players they retain, meaning $29.99 every 4-12 months.
3.)no cash shop.

As for ESO, every single one of those 7 million players bought the game since there is no trial. Let's say that $29.99 is a median price across PC and consoles over time.

Accounting for distribution costs, they made roughly $23 off every sale. Multiply that by seven million and that's not counting subscription fees, and how much they've made since the game went buy2play with the Plus membership/crown store. So yeah, doing well is an understatement.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
The initial game was low balled at 200 million dollars to develop.

They could just now be breaking even.

beta players were like 5 million
initial sales were 1.2 million
about 770,000 subscribers at the two month mark

I'll give matt frior, known liar and grandiose claim maker, the benefit of the doubt and say 7 million boxes were sold by the company, but I doubt players bought them all and it was companies trying to sell them.

Either way, it looks like most people didn't stay or sub.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 2, 2016

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Disregard Chronicles as a game, the business model achieves three things.

1.)buy2play day one sales
2.)day one sale price for every "spark of life" for players they retain, meaning $29.99 every 4-12 months.
3.)no cash shop.

As for ESO, every single one of those 7 million players bought the game since there is no trial. Let's say that $29.99 is a median price across PC and consoles over time.

Accounting for distribution costs, they made roughly $23 off every sale. Multiply that by seven million and that's not counting subscription fees, and how much they've made since the game went buy2play with the Plus membership/crown store. So yeah, doing well is an understatement.

ESO might be financially viable for now but its by no mean a license to print money like Pokemon GO (est 10M$ a day revenue) or Overwatch (10M units sold in a week).

Its also an average, "Lets not inovate in any way" themepark MMO who piggybacked its success on another game quality. Its a souless cashgrab of the worst kind, like the new Ghostbuster videogame.

As much as its fun to despise P2W and vomit on them in Chengdu streets, they have "won" the mmo funding contest and we should be thankfull for that, for without devs chasing whales wallets we would not have so many bad games (Pathfinder Online) or players (too many to list) to make fun off.

The worst sandbox we had so far was probably Archeage. When they released to free players the game turned to poo poo overnight.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Fair enough, I still feel that a buy2play model could suit a niche game like this rather well if they were able to pump out content at a reasonable pace.

Bunch of chinagame info

quote:

Age of Wushu 2

1. Snail Games did try to add in sandbox elements into Age of Wushu, and part of the idea were implemented. But the end result was not satisfactory, and it was blamed on the slow advancement of technology at that time.

2. The martial arts in Age of Wushu 2 is focused on “internal training”, which derives from “Qi” and “Dan”, and not on external movements. Interactions with players and NPCs is a huge part of progression in the game.

3. Using Unreal Engine 4, the game physics will be strengthened visually. For example, a tree branch will not break when Player A steps on it. However, if Player B with lesser training steps on the same branch, it might break and cause the player to fall. Including combat status (I am guessing torn clothes, limping character), all these will be presented visually.

4. There are only rules in Age of Wushu 2, with “no” restrictions. Characters are at their weakest when the controlling players go offline, hence the strong players must find a safe place to log off to prevent being raided by other players. The idea behind this concept is “free exploration”, with the aim to create interactions without restrictions.

5. The current schedule is aiming at early 2017 for the first test phase in China.

Dark and Light

1. Bill Sun acknowledge Dark and Light used to be on the same level as EverQuest and World of Warcraft around 2004. The game had a revolutionary idea for a sandbox MMORPG, but the technology at that time could not support the intended features. Hence, the game did not see continued success.

2. It was stressed that Dark and Light will not have any class restrictions, players can be “anyone” in the game.

3. Players will be given a few different villages to start their journey, but they can also choose to start from the wilds instead. Of course, the latter decision will be a much tougher one in terms of initial progression.

4. Players’ aim is to build up settlements as progression, and will meet core features including “Magic”, “Summon”, “Capture”, and “Training”. As each player settlement grows bigger, they might stretch to within distance of other players. Of course, that would be the start of PVP. Resources will be burnt to maintain a war, and the attacker will need to figure out how strong the opponent’s defenses are.

5. Dark and Light will still be using the same world view from the original game, including the design of structures and monsters (other than converting to Unreal Engine 4 since last year).

6. Every different weapon in the game will have its own skills and action, the same for magic. Snail Games will only set rules for the world of Dark and Light, the rest is up to players to decide.

7. The first beta test will begin later this year, with 3 villages for players to start in.

:siren:Business model:siren:

1. The current business model in mind is for players to buy the full original game, followed by DLC content.

2. This option would be the best as these 2 games are slated to launch on Steam and on consoles.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
Is Molyneux making this game? :eyepop:

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Fair enough, I still feel that a buy2play model could suit a niche game like this rather well if they were able to pump out content at a reasonable pace.

Bunch of chinagame info

1. Snail Games did try to add in sandbox elements into Age of Wushu, and part of the idea were implemented. But the end result was not satisfactory, and it was blamed on the slow advancement of technology at that time.

2. The martial arts in Age of Wushu 2 is focused on “internal training”, which derives from “Qi” and “Dan”, and not on external movements. Interactions with players and NPCs is a huge part of progression in the game.

3. Using Unreal Engine 4, the game physics will be strengthened visually. For example, a tree branch will not break when Player A steps on it. However, if Player B with lesser training steps on the same branch, it might break and cause the player to fall. Including combat status (I am guessing torn clothes, limping character), all these will be presented visually.

4. There are only rules in Age of Wushu 2, with “no” restrictions. Characters are at their weakest when the controlling players go offline, hence the strong players must find a safe place to log off to prevent being raided by other players. The idea behind this concept is “free exploration”, with the aim to create interactions without restrictions.

1: If the activity had offered more serious Rewards (looking at you, Battlefield) Vs Tediousness (Looking at you, Tornado event) maybe the sandboxes would have been more actives. Everyone did SS and TP like it was a religion because the payoff where good and time required pretty short. Nobody want to play a poor MOBA clone for 1h30 only to get 20 tokens that can only be used to learn a below average skill set. Did i mention you also need thousands of them to make the set usefull?

2: UI and diagrams cost very little. Mocap and animation cost a lot. Lets focus on random stats instead of cool moves.

3: Lets wait to see the final implementation of this. Not the first time soneone promise "breakable world" only to be able to flip a few tables in a single mission.

4: Unless if it has anything to do with the economy or the rate at wich you can gain power. Boy are we Chinese big fans of hard limits and weekly quotas.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I can't wait to constantly fall down until I've trained my standing-up meridians (or paid $2.99)

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
Well, we constantly fell down when training drinking too so that's not a big deal.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

James Totes posted:

Well, we constantly fell down when training drinking too so that's not a big deal.

lol if you didn't write an autohotkey script to run this while you bingewatched Dexter

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Haquer posted:

lol if you didn't write an autohotkey script to run this while you bingewatched Dexter

Joke is on you if you watched past season 4

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Late Dexter and Age of Wushu sound like they'd go well together. So much pain buoyed by memories of the good times.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Everyone told me this

But I just had to look
I just had to

About 25 minutes into S5E01, I stopped watching because holy poo poo it was awful

That's my story about Dexter

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Haquer posted:

Everyone told me this

But I just had to look
I just had to

About 25 minutes into S5E01, I stopped watching because holy poo poo it was awful

That's my story about Dexter

It's all because the original showrunner from seasons 1-4 left the show. Seasons 5-8 made it about the "personal journey of Dexter" and it was loving awful. Such a shame considering they were going to go with a Breaking Bad-esque end game scenario. Could have been really great.
http://www.eonline.com/news/461558/chills-former-dexter-producer-clyde-phillips-reveals-how-he-planned-to-end-the-series

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

You are all loving scrubs who don't deserve a chinagame 5.0 if you couldn't tough it out to the awesome lumberjack reveal.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Anal Papist posted:

You are all loving scrubs who don't deserve a chinagame 5.0 if you couldn't tough it out to the awesome lumberjack reveal.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Anal Papist posted:

Miss loving with people's stalls during bidding time with you.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
My one regret is I quit long before I had the chance to wreck someone's house. Didn't even have an account to come back to when they added that. :(

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

my regret was leading the guild and you rear end holes voting not to disband it

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

my regret was leading the guild and you rear end holes voting not to disband it

oh man I forgot that we used to use the disband button to see who was still active

of course it never got disbanded :(

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Haquer posted:

oh man I forgot that we used to use the disband button to see who was still active

of course it never got disbanded :(

Is that what that was about? Haha awesome.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

TheRagamuffin posted:

Is that what that was about? Haha awesome.

Yeah the Last Logged In column in the guild sheet also showed people online as wandering NPCS, so you never really knew who was last online and when because snail games

This finally was patched when 4th internals came out but there were only like 45 people playing anymore rather than the hundreds of goons we had so it didn't matter at all

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Anoia posted:

My one regret is I quit long before I had the chance to wreck someone's house. Didn't even have an account to come back to when they added that. :(

Tried it on Wulin. The whole thing is just a money sink. You and your friend spend unbound liangs to damage the house, the target and his friend spend unbound liangs to repair the house. The house owner and his Friends get a single "free" repair each day so if all things are equal the defender has a slight avantage.

House dont give much unless you are invested in collecting a new world martial art set. The whole house wrecking is simply "mutually assured financial destruction" and nobody (on wulin, at least) really use it as a tool for PvP.

The fact that it is pure "wallet war" might even disgust the whaliest p2w.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler
The best part was peasant simulator, aka farming outfit (thank you whoopie that was such a stellar discovery by you). That discovery led to so much mischief: bringing down the servers with over-planting, mafia-ing the seed market to bring down the servers some more with lemons, forcing them to reduce draw distance to handle even more lemons etc.etc. If Snail can simply allow the character designer to include short old women like Mrs. Chu from Sleepy Dogs, I will definitely give wushu2.0 a go.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

funakupo posted:

The best part was peasant simulator, aka farming outfit (thank you whoopie that was such a stellar discovery by you). That discovery led to so much mischief: bringing down the servers with over-planting, mafia-ing the seed market to bring down the servers some more with lemons, forcing them to reduce draw distance to handle even more lemons etc.etc. If Snail can simply allow the character designer to include short old women like Mrs. Chu from Sleepy Dogs, I will definitely give wushu2.0 a go.

I'm glad you guys found a way to validate my seed hoarding problem. I was finally free!

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

lol at anyone thinking ESO is doing incredibly well

And chronicles of elyria? loving lol

a fool and his money are soon parted

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Haquer posted:

Is Molyneux making this game? :eyepop:

lol i thought the same thing when i read about the tree branch breaking, even as cool as it sounds

other than that some of these sound really good and i remain skeptically hopeful if its a b2p model

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

quote:

We interviewed Snail Games' Vice President Sun Dahu at ChinaJoy 2016 and talked about their upcoming sandbox MMORPG Age of Wushu 2. Sun revealed many interesting gameplay details to us and you can't miss them whether you are fans of martial arts or sandbox games.

Players may ask what exactly the sandbox world looks like in Age of Wushu 2, and how much freedom they can expect.

In Age of Wushu, if you've become a martial arts master, you stay a martial arts master no matter you are online or offline. However in Age of Wushu 2, even the best martial arts master can become vulnerable when he logs out. It's like your character falls asleep and can be attacked and crippled by anyone.

How to protect yourself? If you are familiar with Chinese martial arts culture and the novels, you know many masters rest in their secret places and are even guarded by their own warriors. That means in the game, you don't simply logout in the middle of the street but look for a safe place to go offline.

What does it like to become crippled in the game?

You won't lose the martial arts you've learned but you won't be able to use them for a while. Of course, you are crippled means you are weak and you need a long time to recover. Your weapons, scrolls and other gear can be taken away by other players. (That's like full loot PvP)

You can step on a leaf

The physics are there and all combat is based on physics. As long as your Qinggong is good enough, you can actually step on a leaf. (I still can't believe it could happen but that's what he said)

How does a player learn new martial arts?

First and foremost, learning martial arts isn't completing a quest or reading a scroll. Players have to visit the martial arts master, and of course they don't know where to find them at the beginning. These masters are NPCs, like the NPCs on the streets. There is NPC intimacy system but it's very different to Age of Wushu's.

VR support will be available when the game releases

It'll be a naturally VR experience. However, you can play casual content in VR such as free exploration. Combat doesn't support VR so you have to take off your VR headset when you are going into a fight.
We've studied many VR games and we saw how amazing they were and we also learned that most of them weren't supposed to be immersive but casual.

When will Age of Wushu 2 release?

Beta test will start Q1 2017. We have no plan to wipe any data once the beta starts. It's a sandbox MMO and we don't want to tear down all players' houses after each beta phase.

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice

funakupo posted:

The Lemon Party was hilarious no matter how many times we did it. Just watching anyone walking near the field get pulled in and never leave was amazing, especially people running carts by it.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Little Abigail posted:

The Lemon Party was hilarious no matter how many times we did it. Just watching anyone walking near the field get pulled in and never leave was amazing, especially people running carts by it.

"gently caress we keep on getting ambushed every time we run carts through here! Better keep on the exact same route and never do anything different!" or "You assholes are harassing and declaring war on my guild by attack our carts, quit using the multiplayer aspects of this multiplayer game!"

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
Wait, Crippling dudes and making them lose abilities?

is this going to be like the decapitation, requiring a really specific setup and only by the game's terms, or is this going to be like rootless requiring a very very specific setup to de-junk someone, or is this just a temporary debuff.

I want to know if mount hua 2.0 is going to have all the big names under attack before hand trying to break all of their limbs so they go into hua as a quadriplegic kung fu fighter.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

"gently caress we keep on getting ambushed every time we run carts through here! Better keep on the exact same route and never do anything different!" or "You assholes are harassing and declaring war on my guild by attack our carts, quit using the multiplayer aspects of this multiplayer game!"

It's great because if they chose the path that went to the left instead of the right, they'd barely lose any money over the deal and would've avoided us completely

Then again pubbies in wushu didn't like to think

Case in point: When I got the Blood Blade inner to 49, everyone I fought didn't watch their buff/debuff bar and would constantly use Flying Horse or their stupid ancient tai chi bubble (which blood blade completely negated :getin:) against me. First person who did it called me a hacker when it ate their horse and they went from 40% HP to 20% HP and had 0 mana leftover so I trounced them in short order. gently caress me that was a fun inner

E: Not to mention that literally anyone I procced on in gang fights or wars would lose their heal music making it way easier for our allies to kill them, so I flew around using the aoe stun/pull external set (the double blade one, I don't remember the name) and would proc as many people as possible. I consistently got more kills than anyone who had ancient tai chi just because I could turn off heal music

E2: this makes me miss the game :smith:

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Forer posted:

Wait, Crippling dudes and making them lose abilities?

is this going to be like the decapitation, requiring a really specific setup and only by the game's terms, or is this going to be like rootless requiring a very very specific setup to de-junk someone, or is this just a temporary debuff.

I want to know if mount hua 2.0 is going to have all the big names under attack before hand trying to break all of their limbs so they go into hua as a quadriplegic kung fu fighter.

Probably a temporary debuff like when you got kidnapped while offline if you where dumb enough to log off in Chengdu. Most of the stuff the mentionned in the last info post are (badly implemented) mechanics already in Wushu 1.0. The devil is in the details of how they will do it in the next game.

I like that they realized you cant do serious gaming content in VR for now, but cruising down Shuzou canals in a gondola would be a nice little VR bonus to the game.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Haquer posted:

It's great because if they chose the path that went to the left instead of the right, they'd barely lose any money over the deal and would've avoided us completely

Then again pubbies in wushu didn't like to think

Case in point: When I got the Blood Blade inner to 49, everyone I fought didn't watch their buff/debuff bar and would constantly use Flying Horse or their stupid ancient tai chi bubble (which blood blade completely negated :getin:) against me. First person who did it called me a hacker when it ate their horse and they went from 40% HP to 20% HP and had 0 mana leftover so I trounced them in short order. gently caress me that was a fun inner

E: Not to mention that literally anyone I procced on in gang fights or wars would lose their heal music making it way easier for our allies to kill them, so I flew around using the aoe stun/pull external set (the double blade one, I don't remember the name) and would proc as many people as possible. I consistently got more kills than anyone who had ancient tai chi just because I could turn off heal music

E2: this makes me miss the game :smith:

Ahh, Bloodblade. I loved using it with Tangmen 4th set. That massive 10+ hits long range rage Aoe could sometime give me more than 10 kills in a single big fight while in school wars.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
Darts set with Mingyu Skill and poison :allears:

My favorite thing was probably collecting every scrap of go faster kung fu and drag racing through Chengdu.

Mingyu Skill
That potion of go faster
Speed Up Without Trace
uh that one Emei buff thing
music
Food of go faster

I think I maxed out at a speed of 24.2. Horses went 7.5

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I am going to lead the rebellion guild in age of wushu 2 just so I can kill all of you rear end hats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Stop being tsundere