Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
This week's patch is just for the Dev Build and we get... bug fixes and improvements again!

quote:

Summary
This week’s update brings more bug fixes and improvements to the development branch.
We’re also making some changes to the default world settings. The majority of our players do not fully utilize the oxygen pressurization system in the game. It can have a significant performance impact so for now, we've decided to disable it by default. If you want to use the pressurization system, and are willing to accept the potential performance penalty, you can enable it in the advanced world settings.
Bugs fixed this week include there not being any oxygen when near a closed sliding door, thrusters not getting powered up unless restarted in terminal, and all character tool tiers having the same impact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnagMWVEToA

Features
- option for turning oxygen pressurization ON/OFF in the world settings (default OFF)

Fixes
- fixed spectator switching to character when aiming with gun
- fixed 2nd player does not see message when sitting inside cockpits of the same ship
- fixed no oxygen when near closed Sliding Door
- fixed door invisible when starting a game again after save in Cryopod
- fixed thrusters don't power up unless cycled
- fixed airvent triggers don't work
- fixed SE hangs on world load with lots of active projectors
- fixed crash at Havok.HkBreakOffListener.breakOffSubPart
- fixed inventory not being able to find containers.
- fixed elite and standard tools running at the same speed
- fixed power down grid from secondary cockpit
- fixed explosions sounds too short and the sound skips
- fixed save hangs at the loading screen
- fixed several issues with projector

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Is oxygen pressurization different from the oxygen system? Can you run partial pressures if the outside is a vacuum or something?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

zennik posted:

Most likely bad/outdated drivers, or he's being prideful and instead of 'Newest, best' he actually has like, a 9800 or 260 or some crap in SLI.

Would be helpful to know the exact video cards he has.

R9390, which is AMD, not Nvidia :doh: this guy. Turns out only one, too
Updated drivers didn't do it :/ any other ideas?

E: Finally strangled the error message out of him: SE thinks that R9390 is not a DirectX11 card :mad:
I found a post on their forums, saying the only solution is to use the dx9 branch, which is incredibly annoying (but works) since it means he can't join the server with everyone else.

E2: Found some more info! Apparently SE is looking for a Dx11 card, finding his integrated motherboard graphic card and giving up. I found 30+ guides for how to force SE to use the right card... via Nvidia control panels. Very little for AMD (9 out of 10 guides say "same as Nvidia" or "Catalyst control differs per card so :shrug:" neither of which is helpful at all). Argh argh argh.

VVV We checked there, and the onboard gfx didn't show up? Just the R9 card :confused: Now I'm completely out of ideas VVV

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 23, 2016

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

You should be able to just disable the onboard gfx from the device manager, unless he's using it for something.

squidflakes posted:

Is oxygen pressurization different from the oxygen system? Can you run partial pressures if the outside is a vacuum or something?

The o2 system includes pressurization and needing o2 in your suit and replenishing via bottles/cockpits/medbays. The Pressurization system monitors grids to see if there's a airtight room and pressurizes that room from a air vent or depressurizes it if you open a door or breach the wall. The pressurization system is resource intensive and people weren't using it much but they still want the survival aspect of needing o2, so they separated it out.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Wow, the fix turned out to be "download dx9 version, tell it to use dx11 while ingame, then download dev version and that works."

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

So, quite some time ago a friend of mine made a gunship. I decided over the past week or so that I was finally going to buckle down and make my own original design for such too. (Gunship in this case defined as a ship made from small blocks, but large enough to actually walk around and be manned by multiple people, but not large enough to be a real large ship). It took a while, and it's not quite done as I still need to furnish a proper engineering room, and a full conveyor system, as well as armoring the thing. As it stands though it's a ship that can fly around and hold oxygen and I was very very happy with the way the shape ended up.... right up until I flew above it to get a really good look at it.

I've basically unwittingly made the Kestrel from FTL, at least from the exterior. And here I felt like I was making something reasonably original the whole time. :suicide:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rorac posted:

So, quite some time ago a friend of mine made a gunship. I decided over the past week or so that I was finally going to buckle down and make my own original design for such too. (Gunship in this case defined as a ship made from small blocks, but large enough to actually walk around and be manned by multiple people, but not large enough to be a real large ship). It took a while, and it's not quite done as I still need to furnish a proper engineering room, and a full conveyor system, as well as armoring the thing. As it stands though it's a ship that can fly around and hold oxygen and I was very very happy with the way the shape ended up.... right up until I flew above it to get a really good look at it.

I've basically unwittingly made the Kestrel from FTL, at least from the exterior. And here I felt like I was making something reasonably original the whole time. :suicide:

Fraid we're gonna need to see pictures of it, so we can judge for ourselves :colbert:.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Well, now that I took a look at it from something other than memory, there are a few changes. The centerline engine is top-mounted rather than sticking out of the rear end, but it's still a very similar overall shape. I'll grab a picture later, since it's currently floating around on my roommate's server which isn't up at the moment.

Rorac fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jul 27, 2016

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I've been wanting to make a combat/challenge scenario. The 'Easy Start' scenarios all give you pirates to defend against/seek and destroy, but the base it starts you with is far too well equipped, and the pirates too easily defeated. Would anyone like to perhaps collaborate on making a 'campaign' map of sorts?

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Holy poo poo, I finally got back in to space after starting on a planet on the Solar System map.

Apparently this is pretty trivial, but considering that "bumblefuck" is the made-up term that best describes my play style... yeah.

This took me three tries.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

There's an update and I don't see a post here about it!

quote:

Summary
This week's update brings improvements to meteors, save games, and the in-game chat.
Meteors and meteoroids now have different particles. Meteoroids have a dusty debris effect as they travel through space, but as they enter an atmosphere (becoming meteors) the particle effects become more fiery and smokey. They now also create bigger and better looking craters on impact. Lastly, they have been balanced to target your structures less frequently and less accurately.
We’ve added the ability to backup saved games automatically. You can set the max amount of backups in the advanced world settings - by default, it is set to 5. Backups can be completely disabled by setting the value to zero. Once you’ve reached the maximum set number of backups, the oldest one will be replaced with the most recent one. For now, you can only access these backups using the desktop file browser but in the future we plan to add a folder hierarchy to the in-game GUI. This new feature means that you will now always have a previous version of your save to go back to, whether or not autosave is enabled.
The in-game chat feature has been improved by adding global chat history. Please note that you won't see any messages sent before you join a server. We also fixed decoys being ignored by turrets - they should now work as intended, with automated turrets targeting them before targeting any other block.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYueM2SoB5E

Features
- Autosave backup
- Meteorites improvements
- Global chat history
- Mod error logging improved (thanks to Duncan!)

Fixes
- fixed issue when player can't complete the fourth tutorial
- fixed placing new blocks in space creates two blocks
- fixed exiting from cockpit in survival causes to jump to third person
- fixed turrets ignoring decoys
- fixed character flying up when controlling ship remotely
- fixed new thrusters not working
- fixed 5x5 wheel suspension for mirror mode
- fixed LCD panels being pink when turned off
- fixed faint highlight on small grid
- fixed Light Armor Inverted Corner block causing clipping
- fixed 1st planetary tutorial drill not possible to equip
- fixed Antenna on Rotor can't access other antennas (Out of Broadcast range bug)
- fixed corpse waypoint does not update when moved
- fixed walking on alien sand having the grass animation

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Various posted:

There's an update and I don't see a post here about it!

Well pardon me for being asleep at the time :colbert:.

Instead you can have pictures of my old Dreadnought I've been rebuilding. Partly just to get it working in atmosphere too.

it flies even worse than the Avalon in atmosphere at the moment and can't do more than maintain altitude, so I'm gonna have to stick more thrusters on it :science:. Incidentally; the secret to getting such bigass ships hanging in the air is Sektan's Imhotep Thruster pointing down. The Beluga Dreadnought has one, the Avalon Battlecarrier has three. and the math isn't in favour of the Beluga on that note because it's about half the mass of the Avalon hovering on only a third of the thrust.

The internal bay's got room for four Multipods,

Two general landing pads,

And thanks to some shuffling of the lower deck, it now has a factoring cell for the multipod's loadouts. Or ripping apart whatever you just blew up.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Holy poo poo, I just went through your workshop and your WASP stuff is great. Then I found the space... ship. The spaceship.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

squidflakes posted:

Holy poo poo, I just went through your workshop and your WASP stuff is great. Then I found the space... ship. The spaceship.

Thank you for reminding me about needing to re-align the blueprint projections on those.

So, so, many projections :shepicide:.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I came back to ARK, got obsessed with raft-building, and then remembered I had a copy of this game. Sup.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Is there a shield mod that has a visual effect?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TescoBag posted:

Is there a shield mod that has a visual effect?

The Energy Shield mod actually does, it triggers when something hits the ship. Otherwise try the Moon Shield mod, though I've not had much luck with getting it to actually stop anything.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Another week, another round of bug fixes

quote:

Summary
Hello Engineers! This week's update brings you a round of bug fixes and improvements, as well as the addition of the auto orientation feature. In our dev diary this week, you'll hear from Space Engineers programmer Lukas, who will tell you more about the visual scripting he's been working on.
The auto orientation feature will help you with building by rotating blocks so that connector pieces are always connected to the grid. All blocks now have one side defined as a "mountpoint". The block will rotate with the mountpoint facing the grid when pressing T (configurable in controls).
When a block has more than one mountpoint the feature will make it rotate between them.
In the case a block does not have a defined mount point it will rotate to the "backside" of the block

Fixes this this week include the problem with Pirates not shooting grids that have a block assigned to them. Also, the atmospheric lander should now allow you to land with it safely - you will no longer need to glide, and instead you can descend. We also fixed the issue with rotors snapping/exploding after loading your saves. The issue with projections when they were turned off or on in DS was also fixed.
Check below for the full list of this week's fixes and improvements!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNGIoroozaU

Features
- added auto orientation feature for block

Fixes
- fixed character jump
- fixed pirates are not shooting grids with one block assigned to Pirates
- fixed walking on alien sand has the grass animation.
- fixed safety Locking Blocks Conveyors
- fixed log spammed when blueprint resources runs out.
- fixed uneditable grids in creative mode missions
- fixed straight conveyor tube NOT available in large grid
- fixed rotors snap after loading
- fixed welding projections are sometimes not possible
- fixed battery does not function properly through toolbar shortcuts.
- fixed turning on Projectors with stored blueprints activates the Station-laying boundary box
- fixed enable/disable Sabroids [Spiders] is missing in advanced menu
- fixed disabled thrusters still working
- fixed unable to complete 10th basic tutorial
- fixed character standing in cockpit with jetpack on
- fixed piston head connectors disapearing
- fixed small beacon block group problem
- fixed projection is not visible after turning projector off and on again
- fixed being unable to go down with atmospheric lander
- improved mouse control for character

There's also another.. um... ahh... Development Diary this, um, week. Looks like they're working on coding proper state machines for campaign/scenario levels as the next major feature.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
I wonder how one defines the mount points, if that is something in the model itself or the .sbc files.

I haven't had time to sit down and figure out blender yet, so I hope it is in the .sbc's.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Long-term, that scripting tool will be pretty slick for adding personal touches to our creations! :) Pretty exciting.

I'm looking forward to the release of the updated renderer teased on their Facebook page.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

XkyRauh posted:

Long-term, that scripting tool will be pretty slick for adding personal touches to our creations! :) Pretty exciting.

I'm looking forward to the release of the updated renderer teased on their Facebook page.

They've been long overdue for rebuilding the rendering engine into something that doesn't gorge on memory. That new container looks great, though with those doors on the sides I cant help but wish you could open them to capture wildlife inside.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They've been long overdue for rebuilding the rendering engine into something that doesn't gorge on memory. That new container looks great, though with those doors on the sides I cant help but wish you could open them to capture wildlife inside.
Or wish that there were more types of wildlife TO capture...

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

XkyRauh posted:

Or wish that there were more types of wildlife TO capture...

I don't, the existing ones are bad enough without them adding more crazy/stupid poo poo

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Spookydonut posted:

I don't, the existing ones are bad enough without them adding more crazy/stupid poo poo

It would be much better if they added functional flora and fauna instead of those dumb robot dogs. Something you could make use of to produce carbon based resources or something.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Space Engineers: Grinding up autotrophs for rocket parts.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

squidflakes posted:

Space Engineers: Grinding up autotrophs for rocket parts.

That would at least give you a reason to go back planetside once you have reached space. As it is now in survival planets serves no functional purpose when you have reached space, no fun enemies and no unique resource, only real use for planets is to test lander designs, and that is better done in creative anyway.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm mostly looking forward to their netcode rebuild, whenever that happens in the grim darkness of the far future anyway.

You could get some great dogfights/capital fights/Tribes-Lite fight going on with a proper non-jittery server. ESPECIALLY on planets, those canyons/plains/forests are pretty well designed for interesting combat.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
I would absolutely shell out some bucks for Space Engineers: Tribes-Lite, especially if you could seamlessly go from space to aerospace to ground combat.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Evilreaver posted:

I'm mostly looking forward to their netcode rebuild, whenever that happens in the grim darkness of the far future anyway.

You could get some great dogfights/capital fights/Tribes-Lite fight going on with a proper non-jittery server. ESPECIALLY on planets, those canyons/plains/forests are pretty well designed for interesting combat.

I think at this point I'm pretty much prepared for all that, from space to the ground and back again :shepface:.

Also putting together a pack to match the Base Kit for basic prefab starships.

Armored and regular hull pieces, all three kinds of thrusters, and a bunch of generic empty prefabs with stairs and without. The pig-snout one is for modblock weapons instead of missile launchers.

]
Just copy and paste them together, fill the pods with whatever, and away you go. Also gonna do a central projector pod for building/repairing a ship from a starter pod.

Don't want a prefab ship?

How about a space station?

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Your amazing level of dedication and skill makes me sad for my own attempts.

i was wanting to do exactly what you have, simply blueprint every possible thing needed into the most resource efficient design.

Maybe there is still time.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

McGiggins posted:

Your amazing level of dedication and skill makes me sad for my own attempts.

i was wanting to do exactly what you have, simply blueprint every possible thing needed into the most resource efficient design.

Maybe there is still time.

I'm steam friends with Neddy and he's basically never not playing space engineers.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spookydonut posted:

I'm steam friends with Neddy and he's basically never not playing space engineers.

Not quite true; About half the time is alt-tabbed while it's loading mod-stuffed worlds :v:. I mostly play it to kill time while catching up on TV.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Ummm... okay this might sound obvious or dumb but with a couple of bottles you can basically make it into space with your jetpack.

Might need a speed mod (but probably not, just bring more bottles)

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Spookydonut posted:

Ummm... okay this might sound obvious or dumb but with a couple of bottles you can basically make it into space with your jetpack.

Might need a speed mod (but probably not, just bring more bottles)

But then you wont have all the toys you made up there with you!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
This week's Dev Patch is full of exciting new... Bugfixes and Improvements!

quote:

Summary
Hello Engineers! This week's update brings you a round of bug fixes as well as the next developer diary - this week, you'll hear from one of our artists, Natiq, who will tell you more about the upcoming new look for blocks in our game.
Fixes this week include shaky gunplay, camera and turret issues. Check below for the full list of this week's fixes and improvements and enjoy your summer!

Also don't forget that Space Engineers are part of the current Humble Survive This Bundle! This time the support goes to Action Against Hunger and WaterAid: https://www.humblebundle.com/survive-this-bundle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYpeTzixBW8

Fixes
- fixed shaking of the gun, when shooting
- fixed camera overlay not changing when switching cameras
- fixed Drill working even when disconnected from a grid
- fixed turret not resetting to idle after shooting at neutral target
- fixed turret shooting at player after joining the same faction like the owner of a turret
- fixed issues where spiders were able to dig into the grid
- fixed player being able to edit text panel after it's destruction
- fixed low level of oxygen at earth-like planet surface
- fixed particle issues when shooting grass on alien planet
- fixed issues with slider for control panel after making some blocks hidden

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
I got bored after finishing building the jump drive and making it to Mars, so I jumped back to the abandoned ship I found and started playing with it more.

I found a bunch of artificial masses and gravity generators in a group labeled "gravity drive."

I always thought that was a bug that had been fixed. Do these still work? Also, isn't it only possible in a single direction?

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

The old way, or the way I saw it implemented, was to have a bunch of Artificial Mass blocks stacked up in a cube, with a Gravity Generator on each side of the cube. Wanna go forward? Turn on the Gravity Generator that makes the front of the ship "down."

Dunno if it was fixed; the last time I played on the save that my buddy built one in was pre-planets. :)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If you can figure out what the gently caress this Hotfix means, you're smarter than I am.

quote:

Update 148.002
- fixed lambda in programmable block

Also for whoever wanted a shield mod with visible effects from a while back, here's something just for ya to show you how the Energy Shield mod looks when it gets dinged;

It only generates a basic shield block around whatever's hit rather than contouring to the surface, but it's still pretty drat cool :allears:. It even turns amber and red as the shield depletes, though the generators on the Battlecarrier uptick like 20,000 points per tick so it was actually outpacing the 30-odd rmissile turrets pounding on it. It also has about 14,500,000 shield points total, and I've seen it eat one of Eikester's nuke warheads cleanly. Drained all 14 million shield points and chugged the game to poo poo for several minutes, but drat if it wasn't kinda cool.

And, of course, the response;

squidflakes posted:

I got bored after finishing building the jump drive and making it to Mars, so I jumped back to the abandoned ship I found and started playing with it more.

I found a bunch of artificial masses and gravity generators in a group labeled "gravity drive."

I always thought that was a bug that had been fixed. Do these still work? Also, isn't it only possible in a single direction?

That was never a bug. Hell, the Artificial Mass Block exists for that very purpose because everyone was abusing gravity generators by jamming a rock into an empty block space to the point the coders just threw up their hands and went "gently caress it, have at it".

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you can figure out what the gently caress this Hotfix means, you're smarter than I am.

It is a programming thing. It's basically an anonymous function. The programmable blocks use C# so they are saying that they've fixed a problem with using C# lambda functions.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb397687.aspx
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16501/what-is-a-lambda-function

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
Learning how to model (and texture) due to this game, and the new blocks they showed off .. I want to emulate that style but it's kind of intimidating.

• Locked thread