Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Just as an FYI since I haven't heard it discussed much here (at all?) but I've been hearing a lot of ~rUmOrS~ about FFG losing the 40k license entirely (basically GW considers Asmodee a competitor and is also trying to do more game stuff in house). What that would mean is that Conquest could be getting the axe. I hope that's not the case (especially as I trust FFG way more than GW) but could be something for folks to think about before investing in the game much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Arkham Horror: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/2/enter-the-mythos/

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

That's could be the game that gets me to buy an LCG again. I sold off LOTR when I realized I hated building decks, it seems like this could be more of a WHQ/PACG/LOTR hybrid.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

At first I dismissed the arkham horror LCG out of hand because most (all?) Cthulhu-themed games suck, but that actually sounds pretty sweet now that I've read more about it. Definitely curious to see how it turns out.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

What's the conquest meta like now? Haven't played since before the Necrons came out, when Worr was at his height

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

StashAugustine posted:

What's the conquest meta like now? Haven't played since before the Necrons came out, when Worr was at his height

It's changing pretty fast, so it's hard to really analyze where everything is. The cost curve has opened up a lot and Elites decks are much more valid thanks to cards like STC Fragment, Backlash, and Corrupted Teleportarium. In general a lot of people seem to be experimenting with formerly unpopular warlords and builds.

Warlords like Ragnar that broadly profited from the old 1-2 cost centric meta are less relevant - Cato is a more "all comers" choice as SM decks go, while Mavros is probably the best for an SM Elites deck thanks to a more favorable Eldorath matchup and crazy combos with Sword Brethren Dreadnought. Many people are claiming Ku'gath is now the best Chaos warlord and among the best overall warlords, since he generally has good synergy with various Elites and other options. Necrons themselves can make decks that would be absolutely obscene in the old meta, but suffer somewhat from a lack of strong control options against enemy Elites.

GenCon will be an interesting barometer. My money is probably on an Eldorath/Tau midrange deck taking it. Drone Defense System and Missile Pod have really helped with Eldorath's traditional weaknesses (swarms and powerful supports), and while losing Archon's Terror can hurt a lot in the current Elite meta you always have Eldorath's warlord ability to keep big units honest, so you really have strong options against all comers.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

rock. hard.

gonna get back to ordering LotR i think

edit for content this feels like a good mix between LotR and the pathfinder card game, with a more RPG slant on building your deck over the course of a campaign, as opposed to pathfinder acg's pseudo deck building thing. i'm interested to see more as we get closer to release

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 3, 2016

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Fetterkey posted:

It's changing pretty fast, so it's hard to really analyze where everything is. The cost curve has opened up a lot and Elites decks are much more valid thanks to cards like STC Fragment, Backlash, and Corrupted Teleportarium. In general a lot of people seem to be experimenting with formerly unpopular warlords and builds.

Warlords like Ragnar that broadly profited from the old 1-2 cost centric meta are less relevant - Cato is a more "all comers" choice as SM decks go, while Mavros is probably the best for an SM Elites deck thanks to a more favorable Eldorath matchup and crazy combos with Sword Brethren Dreadnought. Many people are claiming Ku'gath is now the best Chaos warlord and among the best overall warlords, since he generally has good synergy with various Elites and other options. Necrons themselves can make decks that would be absolutely obscene in the old meta, but suffer somewhat from a lack of strong control options against enemy Elites.

GenCon will be an interesting barometer. My money is probably on an Eldorath/Tau midrange deck taking it. Drone Defense System and Missile Pod have really helped with Eldorath's traditional weaknesses (swarms and powerful supports), and while losing Archon's Terror can hurt a lot in the current Elite meta you always have Eldorath's warlord ability to keep big units honest, so you really have strong options against all comers.

I keep hoping to see Necrons get something resembling control that isn't Eviscerate or that doesn't involve importing things with Area Effect, but alas. Not having a Backlash in hand (or in GY if you have Harbinger) when you get Klaivex'ed is always disappointing.

Also to add to what Fetterkey said, while there are a handful of A tier decks, there seems like there are a lot of B tier decks that aren't that much far behind the A tier decks. And orks getting an amazing combat trick in Slash and Burn whose name I forgot may push them up higher overall.

I hope they don't cancel Conquest :(

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I love that it's co-op, and I love that it has campaign rules. For some reason, I'm getting an X-Files CCG vibe from it.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

Literally The Worst posted:

rock. hard.

gonna get back to ordering LotR i think

edit for content this feels like a good mix between LotR and the pathfinder card game, with a more RPG slant on building your deck over the course of a campaign, as opposed to pathfinder acg's pseudo deck building thing. i'm interested to see more as we get closer to release

Pretty excited for this and it also is making me want to get back in to LotR. I'm just sad they didn't pull a Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition and say "by the way this it out for GenCon surprise!"

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Radioactive Toy posted:

Pretty excited for this and it also is making me want to get back in to LotR. I'm just sad they didn't pull a Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition and say "by the way this it out for GenCon surprise!"

Have they released any LCGs at GenCon ahead of their normal release

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Pretty sure they did some big boxes. Wasn't AGoT 2 some sort of convention pre-premiere too?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Have they released any LCGs at GenCon ahead of their normal release

I believe Conquest and AGOT were both Gencon releases. L5R was mentioned as one too when its announcement article came out.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Netrunner was also Gencon. I wouldn't be surprised if they had Arkham there.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

GrandpaPants posted:

I believe Conquest and AGOT were both Gencon releases. L5R was mentioned as one too when its announcement article came out.

Ah, cool.

I'm putting in my preorder at work Friday, super hype for this game

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

Lichtenstein posted:

Pretty sure they did some big boxes. Wasn't AGoT 2 some sort of convention pre-premiere too?

Conquest, Thrones, and Netrunner were all GenCon releases, and several of the big expansion boxes for those games have been first out at GenCon as well. I believe L5R was officially announced to be a GenCon release for 2017 as well.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I love that it's co-op, and I love that it has campaign rules. For some reason, I'm getting an X-Files CCG vibe from it.

Now I want an X-COM co-op LCG.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I didn't expect Flame of The West so soon!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fetterkey posted:

Conquest, Thrones, and Netrunner were all GenCon releases, and several of the big expansion boxes for those games have been first out at GenCon as well. I believe L5R was officially announced to be a GenCon release for 2017 as well.

conquest was also announced and we had info for it pre-gencon, whereas this we JUST got the announcment

id be very surprised if it was on sale this weekend

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

conquest was also announced and we had info for it pre-gencon, whereas this we JUST got the announcment

id be very surprised if it was on sale this weekend

To be fair, the timelines sorta match in that the AH announcement said it'd be ready by Q4 2016, and they also announced (and likely have available) a bunch of different, probably lovely games, including that Game of Thrones game that for some reason disregards the nice style of most of the AGOT2.0 cards and just does...its own thing.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

GrandpaPants posted:

To be fair, the timelines sorta match in that the AH announcement said it'd be ready by Q4 2016, and they also announced (and likely have available) a bunch of different, probably lovely games, including that Game of Thrones game that for some reason disregards the nice style of most of the AGOT2.0 cards and just does...its own thing.

For AH to come out this weekend? Not even close

For an actual winter release yes absolutely

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Arkham LCG not here at Gencon except for demoing. It's good.

AGOT Lannister box isn't here either, but the next chapter pack is.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Arkham LCG not here at Gencon except for demoing. It's good.

Can you elaborate?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, I like Netrunner but can't bring myself to invest in a game that's so sprawling after already having several games of that nature, but if Arkham LCG is good I might get in on the ground floor of that. Something Arkham-flavored they make has to be good, fifth or sixth time's the charm!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm planning to get into Arkham because I don't have any cool co-op card games, and LotR has way too many cards.

The theme is alright too, provided it's handled more like the Trail/Call of Cthulhu games and less like a dumb meme factory

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

It's like they're reaching directly into my wallet and stealing my money. Though this is good since I've just gotten a few friends into Eldritch Horror, so maybe they'll be interested in going in on this with me.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Team Covenant's demo of Arkham. Haven't watched it, can't vouch for quality.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fat Samurai posted:

Team Covenant's demo of Arkham. Haven't watched it, can't vouch for quality.

I'd watch this but I would spend the entire time thinking about their meltdown over privateer press sending them a C&D

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

I'd watch this but I would spend the entire time thinking about their meltdown over privateer press sending them a C&D

Oh wow, haven't heard of this, care to explain or link to something that does? How severe was the meltdown?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Oh wow, haven't heard of this, care to explain or link to something that does? How severe was the meltdown?

I'm on my phone but iirc they were releasing monsterpocalypse stuff without a license and privateer told distros to stop sending them PP stuff and they posted a couple YouTube videos crying about mean old privateer protecting their IP

It was p lol, you can google it for the actual deets or I'll do it when I get home this afternoon

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
10 seconds of Google led me to this statement:

Team Covenant posted:

Monpoc as it stands doesn’t belong to PP, it belongs to the amazing community here (speaking hyperbolically, of course – PP still owns all the rights, images, etc)

I have no idea what this is about, but "It belongs to us in every sense except the very real one" is hilarious to me.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fat Samurai posted:

10 seconds of Google led me to this statement:

I have no idea what this is about, but "It belongs to us in every sense except the very real one" is hilarious to me.

They should be able to print branded tokens duh

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
The dude trying to teach Destiny in the Team Covenant video is so bad I couldn't finish watching the video. Not that I need to really see how the game works anyway. He was just awful though. The girl demoing the Arkham Horror game in their video is a million times better.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Just watched the Arkham demo in full. Looks like it has potential. I like the location system more than the one in LOTR, It's cool that they can connect to each other in various ways, and players can split up and be in different locations. Not sure how I feel about the skill check system, I'm wary of extra elements of randomness in card games, as there is already a big primary element of randomness (the decks of cards themselves). You can spend cards from your hand to boost your skills for a check if you need insurance for a critical moment, but on the other hand one of the tokens from the skill check draw bag always counts as an automatic fail, I cant say a like that a lot, although I guess something like that is needed to keep the feeling of dread, tension and insecurity, which is probably what you want to have in a Lovecraft themed game. I'd like to see and example of a more mechanically creative scenario, the one they showed was probably the introductory tutorial scenario and didn't have a a lot going on. Hopefully, judging how good the scenarios in LOTR are past the first cycle, they keep being interesting here.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'm not a fan of auto lose mechanics either, but there seem to be ways to mitigate that with cards and player abilities.

In the demo, one of the guys was able to make significant progress despite drawing the fail token.

That's good design.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Just watched the Arkham demo in full. Looks like it has potential. I like the location system more than the one in LOTR, It's cool that they can connect to each other in various ways, and players can split up and be in different locations. Not sure how I feel about the skill check system, I'm wary of extra elements of randomness in card games, as there is already a big primary element of randomness (the decks of cards themselves). You can spend cards from your hand to boost your skills for a check if you need insurance for a critical moment, but on the other hand one of the tokens from the skill check draw bag always counts as an automatic fail, I cant say a like that a lot, although I guess something like that is needed to keep the feeling of dread, tension and insecurity, which is probably what you want to have in a Lovecraft themed game. I'd like to see and example of a more mechanically creative scenario, the one they showed was probably the introductory tutorial scenario and didn't have a a lot going on. Hopefully, judging how good the scenarios in LOTR are past the first cycle, they keep being interesting here.

this sounds a lot like the pathfinder card game, which has you roll skill checks that are modified by cards and has multiple locations that players can explore independently of one another

the pathfinder card game is very good

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It's not like the Pathfinder card game and the Pathfinder card game sucks :psyduck:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Future AGoT spoilers from the GenCon draft sets:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Interesting new Stannis, probably won't replace core though.

That Jaqen H'grhar is loving awesome though, so drat thematic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
There's some other stuff that's been spoiled as well. It's in a boardgamegeek forum thread that's been linked here, the next small expansion has Edmure Tully who can move power off of other characters and move them to House Tully characters. I think my deck that's focused on Blackfish/Catelyn is finally starting to take off in a big way because Blackfish is able to get some big power gain now. I also think this cycle is being especially nice to Nights Watch and in a couple sets will become a huge threat.