Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

HEY GAL posted:

ok, i don't understand all of the chemistry stuff, but this does not seem that bad. where's the dangerous stuff?
https://www.krollcorp.com/files/forms/Break-FreeCLPLiquidCLPMIL-EREVA.pdf

have you ever wished your cities had more generic concrete boxes? well,

Just get Leinöl. It's what the romans used, what everybody used to take care of their stuff.

https://www.dictum.com/de/oberflaec...4_98.42_1_12_12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

JaucheCharly posted:

What you are looking for is linseed oil. One for all. Just don't bunch up used fabric and throw it in the trash while it's still drying. You'll burn down your shack.

Seconded. I use linseed oil on both metal and wood and it works great! Let soak for a day, and then rub down.

Also, seconded, DO NOT PUT IT IN A SEALED CONTAINER EVER!!!!!!!!! It WILL auto-ignite. Let it sit on your workbench or in the garage with plenty of air movement until it is dry. It's not a joke. It's not a myth.

3-in-one oil works pretty well too for metal, but linseed oil will coat it for long term protection. Remington gun oil works well for metal, and is supposed to be good for the wood stock, but I don't think it does much for a wood finish. Linseed oil is your friend.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

mostlygray posted:

Seconded. I use linseed oil on both metal and wood and it works great! Let soak for a day, and then rub down.

What metal objects do you use it on? I don't put it on any of my ironwork unless I'm intentionally blackening it because it never gets smooth like in wood, just stays sticky and unpleasant until it eventually chips away. Also not keen on it for all wood because it yellows over time.

Also don't put it on flexible leather like a shoe top or belt because it will make the leather hard and break when you bend it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yeah I can't imagine using linseed oil on metal that isn't a fence or outdoor door handle or something. It's fine on wood though.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
not a huge fan of vegetable oils on metal ever since olive oil made my sword all gunky last year. like rodrigo diaz said about linseed oil

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

HEY GAL posted:

not a huge fan of vegetable oils on metal ever since olive oil made my sword all gunky last year. like rodrigo diaz said about linseed oil

Just use Ballistol. It was created to have a general-purpose gun oil that could also be used for leather goods and wood. Also it is very cheap. And probably won't burn your building down.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Out of curiosity does anyone have a recommendation for a book that goes into detail about weapons and armour of the Medieval Period. Or even better if there is some stuff that deals with the Migration Period and the "Dark Ages".

I like to do Worldbuilding as a personal hobby and was looking to do some work on detailing military stuff in the setting, I have read alot of generalist history works and other stuff on this period like theology and want to improve my knowledge of military equipment beyond just some broad generalizations.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jul 26, 2016

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

For medieval stuff, everything by Ewart Oakeshott.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

HEY GAL posted:

It's nothing like olive oil. The coat polymerizes over the course of a few days, and it stays reasonable flexible. Lots of people who like the natural approach use if to coat bows and arrows. Might let it rest for 2 weeks or so, depending on the conditions. It will be dry after a few days, but as long as it has that distinctive smell, it's not completely. After that, it's "hard". Still flexible enough that you can use it on thick leather like belts of quivers without the material breaking, unless you mistake a sealer for care. Ofc it will flake off, if you don't degrease the surface before applying, but that's just the same with any other varnish.

Just to make it clear: For leather, you use a few coats to protect the material, but you care for the material with the proper leather care. Anything else would be as if you apply acryl sealer to your leather every time it looks as if it needs a rub.

Of the natural sealers, I like a mix of linseed and tung best. It's on all my tools and surfaces that need protection. It will slightly darken the piece though and make it shiny.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Siivola posted:

For medieval stuff, everything by Ewart Oakeshott.
yeah, for early modern stuff, it's a bunch of dudes pointing at swords and going "well, the hilts are more complex now"
also schiavone, there's schiavone

Railtus
Apr 8, 2011

daz nu bi unseren tagen
selch vreude niemer werden mac
der man ze den ziten pflac

Jack2142 posted:

Out of curiosity does anyone have a recommendation for a book that goes into detail about weapons and armour of the Medieval Period. Or even better if there is some stuff that deals with the Migration Period and the "Dark Ages".

I like to do Worldbuilding as a personal hobby and was looking to do some work on detailing military stuff in the setting, I have read alot of generalist history works and other stuff on this period like theology and want to improve my knowledge of military equipment beyond just some broad generalizations.

While I can't think of the book to go right now, I can mention a few sources.

Knyght Errant has a pretty awesome Youtube channel that goes into a lot of detail about the evolution of armour styles, with some discussion of the weapons that go with it.

Also, "I, Clausewitz" does a lot of amateur yet detailed information that would relate to your Worldbuilding with a military focus - http://l-clausewitz.livejournal.com/l_clausewitz178455

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Railtus posted:

Knyght Errant has a pretty awesome Youtube channel that goes into a lot of detail about the evolution of armour styles, with some discussion of the weapons that go with it.

His recent videos on period clothing are incredibly interesting as well - in particular with regards to tailoring. I kind of want to try making a cloak now :downs:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The greatest benefit of linseed oil is that if you drink it, it makes any music you're listening to feel more liquid.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i'm so bored i'm looking at old weapons reviews online
https://myarmoury.com/review_mvt_doglock.html

why did the english make such clumsy looking swords and pistols, jfc

edit: also don't buy a pistol that's shorter than the original, good luck hitting anything with that

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jul 27, 2016

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

why did the english make such clumsy looking swords and pistols, jfc

Yeah this is a uniquely English problem... right... http://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/24815

quote:

edit: also don't buy a pistol that's shorter than the original, good luck hitting anything with that

That's not how accuracy works.

PS glad you've acknowledged the 30yw are part of the middle ages now.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Yeah this is a uniquely English problem... right... http://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/24815
dude those are super rad looking, what's your problem

quote:

PS glad you've acknowledged the 30yw are part of the middle ages now.
this is where i post about weapons, the milhist thread is where i post about the guys the weapons belong to

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

dude those are super rad looking, what's your problem

"that fun that looks like a gun? Way too awkward. That gun that looks like a hosed up oar? Extremely my poo poo."

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

"that fun that looks like a gun? Way too awkward. That gun that looks like a hosed up oar? Extremely my poo poo."
what about the head of a very large fiddle

http://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/24865

edit: and whatever the hell japanese matchlocks have going on, which are loving beautiful but which were obviously invented by people who never assumed you'd also use your gun to hit a guy in the face

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 27, 2016

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

VoteTedJameson posted:

This is one of those questions that's hard to answer because the social class of soldiers is so flexible throughout the medieval era. I mostly read about the Hundred Years War, at which time the answer to what professional soldiers do i their off-time is typically either "sit in a castle because the English are still laying siege to us, as usual", or "pillage the countryside". The rise of increasingly professional soldiers also meant that there were large groups of people with weapons and without the traditional social ties of the knightly class to keep them occupied. That is to say, when knighthood was more closely tied to aristocracy, there was an expectation that you would spend much of your time overseeing the laborers tied to your land, maybe holding court or dealing with small-time criminal justice matters if you were of some importance in your locality- but the English, French, Bretons, Navarese, Castilians etc who fought in the HYW frequently found themselves demobilized, either seasonally, or because of a truce (which in the context of a 100+ year conflict could be extremely long), or because the person who paid the bills and gave the orders was dead/captured/switched sides/got fussy and went home. These soldiers would then establish themselves as a semi-permanent presence in the countryside, acting as highwaymen/extortionists/bandits. On the other hand, some men-at-arms demobilized much more gracefully and essentially just went back to living the life that a person of their rank (ranging from small landholder up to count, duke etc) could pay for. I get the sense that outside of urban militias, most soldiers weren't returning to trades, but rather just living off the proceeds of their military occupations. Arranging marriages for their kids, buying/selling tracts of lands, scheming to inherit their relatives' possessions, having poor people cook their meals and general rich people schmoozing. (adjust for the richness/poorness of the man-at-arms in question.)

Unfortunately, the answer for how much of the year you spend in a castle is highly dependent on time/place as well. Different states have different laws regarding mandatory service and most of those laws have loopholes, such as a scutage or "shield fee" to simply not show up. I think castle service is most often measured in months (3-6 sounds like a reasonable average) but again that figure is going to depend on who your liege lord is, how good he is at enforcing his authority and whether you can pay to get out of it. Of course, if it's the late middle ages and you're wealthy enough to own a castle that happens to double as your living quarters, then I imagine that sitting for 3 months on "guard duty" would probably be a pretty welcome way to spend your time.

Thanks for a great answer! What about post Norman Conquest, pre HYW England?

And when did English knights change from soldiers who had to work to keep their fief, to land owning gentry?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
I've understood that medieval commoners and champions used clubs etc. in judicial duels, and that only nobility and knights used swords. But what happened when a noble and a commoner had a judicial duel?

Judicial duel between a man and a woman: http://www.aemma.org/onlineResources/trial_by_combat/combat_man_and_woman.htm

Fatality!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
what happened to her sack-with-a-rock-in-it, did she toss it away to get the dude in that sweet headlock?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
To me, it looks like she has a pretty good grip on the sack?

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

What metal objects do you use it on? I don't put it on any of my ironwork unless I'm intentionally blackening it because it never gets smooth like in wood, just stays sticky and unpleasant until it eventually chips away. Also not keen on it for all wood because it yellows over time.

Also don't put it on flexible leather like a shoe top or belt because it will make the leather hard and break when you bend it.

Tools. It seems to work well for me to prevent rust. It does create a film on the surface, but it stops rust well enough. For leather, I use mink oil.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Is there any books that go into detail about middle eastern martial arts? Any surviving manuals on these?

VoteTedJameson
Jan 10, 2014

And stack the four!

Hogge Wild posted:

Thanks for a great answer! What about post Norman Conquest, pre HYW England?

And when did English knights change from soldiers who had to work to keep their fief, to land owning gentry?

OK, so I know more about France than I do England, so I had to dig a little. The best I can tell, the big shift in the understanding of ENglish Knighthood happens under Edward I in the Welsh Wars. (Right around the turn of the 14th century). This is because Edward fielded one of the 1st paid, professional armies in English history, instead of relying on traditional feudal obligations. And his campaigns in Wales were a big success (he also built the largest-ever trebuchet and named it "War Wolf" which is about the most terrifying thing I can imagine) .
Accordingly, Edward and his successors were less likely to rely on the feudal system of mustering an army- which often worked sluggishly, produced reluctant fighters and in inconsistent numbers/equipment/readiness. The concept of "scutage", i.e. paying a fee instead of giving fighting service was pretty old, like...beginning of 12th century old in England. The difference after Edward I was that now that professional armies were proven effective (and, in fact, superior) the crown would now find a knight's scutage more valuable than his actual presence on the battlefield- since one feudal subject's fee could pay for several professionals, who were more eager to fight and more reliable.
After that, knighthood is seen as an honor, but the link between knighthood and actual battlefield service has begun its inevitable slide into irrelevance. Interestingly, a lot of sources in the immediate aftermath of the HYW write about a sort of surplus of knights, which I think indicates a lot of battlefield-dubbings, as well as men who simply plundered so much that they could afford to buy up manors and refer to themselves as knights.
[An aside, just because I love ambiguity in my answers: I'll also note that a lot of medieval chroniclers and other primary sources refer habitually to fighting men as "knights" without much regard to whether or not they actually held a knighthood. It seems to have been a generic term used by non-insiders, much in the same way that a modern person might see an armored vehicle and identify it as a "tank", when someone with insider knowledge might call it an IFV or something. This makes it even trickier to figure out what the hell all the knights are up to, when contemporary writers are calling everyone in armor a knight. ]
Now, as for when knighthood fully arrived at the point of being a non-combatant title, I honestly can't tell you. After Henry VIII to be sure, but I'm just not well-versed in Renaissance stuff. It's possible that Hey Gal will have some insights into what Knighthood looked like in the 17th century, although her area of expertise is continental Europe, not England.

Now! As regards banditry in medieval England, it seems like it was a different phenomenon from in France. My reading suggests that the groups were closer analogues to modern organized crime groups. I've found references to groups of ruffians, sometimes led by someone of "gentle birth", likely a non-inheriting younger son, who just roll around trying to strongarm their way into influencing local politics. (i.e., nope we don't like that priest, here's a new guy for you to install. What's that, mr. bishop, you don't want to? OK say goodbye t most of your possessions). Then again, there are also just small bands of poor men who go full outlaw to make ends meet by stealing stuff. In fact, a lot of outlaws, invoking the right to sanctuary in a church, seem to have taken parish churches over as bases of operations. Which I love- outlaws relying on a legalistic interpretation of sanctuary laws. The problem never reached the scale of banditry in France, where there's thousands of demobilized soldiers going into the countryside.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Instructions unclear.
https://giant.gfycat.com/ClearcutNaturalFrenchbulldog.webm

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Looks accurate.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medieval weapons weren't designed for stabbing.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It is a little known fact but stabbing wasn't actually invented until the 17th century. Spears for example were primarily used to point at things. A handful of mediveal texts mention things similar to stabbing but always from a purely theoretical standpoint as the underlying concepts of stabbing just didn't exist yet.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

FreudianSlippers posted:

It is a little known fact but stabbing wasn't actually invented until the 17th century. Spears for example were primarily used to point at things. A handful of mediveal texts mention things similar to stabbing but always from a purely theoretical standpoint as the underlying concepts of stabbing just didn't exist yet.
hold on, according to lots of people on the internet you don't stab in the 17th century either

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

VoteTedJameson posted:

Now, as for when knighthood fully arrived at the point of being a non-combatant title, I honestly can't tell you. After Henry VIII to be sure, but I'm just not well-versed in Renaissance stuff. It's possible that Hey Gal will have some insights into what Knighthood looked like in the 17th century, although her area of expertise is continental Europe, not England.
in this best of all possible Empires, those are these dudes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Knight
By the 17th century war isn't part of their duties and calling them up isn't how any Emperor makes war, but a bunch of them end up in armies because they have status but very little assets so they have to do something to make a living and mercenaries can be that thing.

I don't know about insights, but it's interesting to think about all these feudal holdovers in 17th century europe.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 1, 2016

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

VoteTedJameson posted:

OK, so I know more about France than I do England, so I had to dig a little. The best I can tell, the big shift in the understanding of ENglish Knighthood happens under Edward I in the Welsh Wars. (Right around the turn of the 14th century). This is because Edward fielded one of the 1st paid, professional armies in English history, instead of relying on traditional feudal obligations. And his campaigns in Wales were a big success (he also built the largest-ever trebuchet and named it "War Wolf" which is about the most terrifying thing I can imagine) .
Accordingly, Edward and his successors were less likely to rely on the feudal system of mustering an army- which often worked sluggishly, produced reluctant fighters and in inconsistent numbers/equipment/readiness. The concept of "scutage", i.e. paying a fee instead of giving fighting service was pretty old, like...beginning of 12th century old in England. The difference after Edward I was that now that professional armies were proven effective (and, in fact, superior) the crown would now find a knight's scutage more valuable than his actual presence on the battlefield- since one feudal subject's fee could pay for several professionals, who were more eager to fight and more reliable.
After that, knighthood is seen as an honor, but the link between knighthood and actual battlefield service has begun its inevitable slide into irrelevance. Interestingly, a lot of sources in the immediate aftermath of the HYW write about a sort of surplus of knights, which I think indicates a lot of battlefield-dubbings, as well as men who simply plundered so much that they could afford to buy up manors and refer to themselves as knights.
[An aside, just because I love ambiguity in my answers: I'll also note that a lot of medieval chroniclers and other primary sources refer habitually to fighting men as "knights" without much regard to whether or not they actually held a knighthood. It seems to have been a generic term used by non-insiders, much in the same way that a modern person might see an armored vehicle and identify it as a "tank", when someone with insider knowledge might call it an IFV or something. This makes it even trickier to figure out what the hell all the knights are up to, when contemporary writers are calling everyone in armor a knight. ]

Now! As regards banditry in medieval England, it seems like it was a different phenomenon from in France. My reading suggests that the groups were closer analogues to modern organized crime groups. I've found references to groups of ruffians, sometimes led by someone of "gentle birth", likely a non-inheriting younger son, who just roll around trying to strongarm their way into influencing local politics. (i.e., nope we don't like that priest, here's a new guy for you to install. What's that, mr. bishop, you don't want to? OK say goodbye t most of your possessions). Then again, there are also just small bands of poor men who go full outlaw to make ends meet by stealing stuff. In fact, a lot of outlaws, invoking the right to sanctuary in a church, seem to have taken parish churches over as bases of operations. Which I love- outlaws relying on a legalistic interpretation of sanctuary laws. The problem never reached the scale of banditry in France, where there's thousands of demobilized soldiers going into the countryside.

Thanks!

Have you read Osprey books about the Middle Ages, and if so, how accurate they are?

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Hogge Wild posted:

Thanks!

Have you read Osprey books about the Middle Ages, and if so, how accurate they are?

I've always been curious about this (I assume it must vary wildly depending on which author they use). I just like them for the pictures :downs:

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

VoteTedJameson posted:

OK, so I know more about France than I do England, so I had to dig a little. The best I can tell, the big shift in the understanding of ENglish Knighthood happens under Edward I in the Welsh Wars. (Right around the turn of the 14th century). This is because Edward fielded one of the 1st paid, professional armies in English history, instead of relying on traditional feudal obligations.

As Marjorie Chibnall has shown conclusively, this core premise is bollocks. Professional armies existed throughout the Middle Ages, notably within the familia of kings and nobles. It was already well known that professional soldiers were often better than vassals by the turn of the 12th century at the very latest. Thus William Rufus was widely beloved by soldiers as an excellent paymaster, and Robert of Bellême's mercenary knights cursed their feudal counterparts who gave up the castle of Bridgnorth.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

As Marjorie Chibnall has shown conclusively, this core premise is bollocks. Professional armies existed throughout the Middle Ages, notably within the familia of kings and nobles. It was already well known that professional soldiers were often better than vassals by the turn of the 12th century at the very latest. Thus William Rufus was widely beloved by soldiers as an excellent paymaster, and Robert of Bellême's mercenary knights cursed their feudal counterparts who gave up the castle of Bridgnorth.

What would you recommend to read from Marjorie Chibnall on this topic?

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Grenrow posted:

What would you recommend to read from Marjorie Chibnall on this topic?

'Mercenaries and the Familia Regis under Henry I'

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Thanks!

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

I should point out that prior to about the mid-13th century, "mercenary" was a term for anyone who was paid for fighting, to distinguish them from those who fought purely out of feudal obligation.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

I should point out that prior to about the mid-13th century, "mercenary" was a term for anyone who was paid for fighting, to distinguish them from those who fought purely out of feudal obligation.

what was it in latin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
drat, I just accidentally searched the library database for "Chinball" about 20 different ways.

• Locked thread